• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

So... what exactly happened at the end of Kingdom Hearts 1??

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilford111

Awards
I mean I got the basic jist of it. Sora defeats Ansem, Ansem gets destroyed by the light coming from the door to light, Sora helps Riku and Mickey close the door, and Riku and Mickey get trapped in the darkness from inside.

But the thing I don't get is that the door itself has a bunch of contradictions coming from it. It's called the door to the light, the light from within defeats Ansem, but when we look inside it's all dark. There's even a ton of heartless coming from it. I don't get it!!! Is there light inside or is there darkness. There has to be light, because that's what defeated Ansem. But, there has to be darkness, because we can clearly see what's inside, and Riku gets trapped in darkness.

And for that matter, how in the world did Riku suddenly get to Castle Oblivion? Is the door to light somehow connected to Castle Oblivion?

And just what is this "door to light" anyway? Ansem called it Kingdom Hearts. Is that what it is? Or is it just a door to light? ...With darkness inside? I'm so confused...

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Your first problem is that you're fixated on it being called the door to light, when it is, in fact, not. He calls it the door to darkness. Kingdom Hearts is trapped in darkness, er, the Kingdom Hearts that he created, but the light from it is enough to stop him. As to how Riku got to Castle Oblivion, it hasn't ever been explained. Fairy dust did it? I dunno. Ansem called Kingdom Hearts Kingdom Hearts, not the door to darkness Kingdom Hearts. Kingdom Hearts is in the realm of darkness past the door of darkness.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
I mean I got the basic jist of it. Sora defeats Ansem, Ansem gets destroyed by the light coming from the door to light, Sora helps Riku and Mickey close the door, and Riku and Mickey get trapped in the darkness from inside.

But the thing I don't get is that the door itself has a bunch of contradictions coming from it. It's called the door to the light, the light from within defeats Ansem, but when we look inside it's all dark. There's even a ton of heartless coming from it. I don't get it!!! Is there light inside or is there darkness. There has to be light, because that's what defeated Ansem. But, there has to be darkness, because we can clearly see what's inside, and Riku gets trapped in darkness.

That door there was the Door to Darkness. A portal to the realm where Heartless originate, and the plane of existence that the one true Kingdom Hearts disappeared into. That light that destroyed Ansem like he was a vampire? It came from the Kingdom Hearts that Ansem created using mashed-together hearts of destroyed worlds. If you take a look inside of the RoD from the door's perspective, you can see a faint white light illuminating the background.

And for that matter, how in the world did Riku suddenly get to Castle Oblivion? Is the door to light somehow connected to Castle Oblivion?
Who knows? I guess the realm borders can be kind of wonky, especially if you're someone like Riku. He could've accidentally phased through without knowing it. For now, assume "Disney magic, video game logic, or plot shenanigans" and don't worry about it.

And just what is this "door to light" anyway? Ansem called it Kingdom Hearts. Is that what it is? Or is it just a door to light? ...With darkness inside? I'm so confused...

Ansem wasn't calling the door "Kingdom Hearts," he was calling out to what was beyond that door. As I said before, it is a door to darkness, and a light shines in that deepest darkness. Enough light to vaporize a villain, it would seem.

Wilford111

Awards
Thanks, but this brings up a few more questions.

I call it the door to light because that's what Goofy calls it in the closing cutscene. "But where do we start lookin' for that there door to the light?" I just thought Ansem called it the door to darkness because that's what he thinks Kingdom Hearts is. But he was proven wrong, and it is actually light.

I didn't know Ansem created a Kingdom Hearts. How/when did he do that? (Maybe it was in the Ansem reports but it's been a while since I've read those.)

So let me see if I've got this straight. The door that we saw after the final Boss was not the door to Kingdom Hearts, it was the door to darkness. Past that door is the realm of darkness, where Kingdom Hearts is trapped inside. Ansem called to Kingdom Hearts to fill him with the power of darkness, but Kingdom Hearts filled him with light instead.

If that's what happened then how did Kingdom Hearts get its light all the way out of the realm of darkness? I mean the realm of darkness is a pretty big place right? Aqua and Ansem (the real Ansem) were trapped in there. Did Kingdom Hearts just so happen to be situated right next to the door to darkness within the dark realm?

Sorry if I'm asking so many questions, I'm just a little confused. You made it a little clearer though, so thanks for that :)

Last edited:

Wilford111

Awards
I guess that last question was rhetorical, unless there really is an explanation for that.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Thanks, but this brings up a few more questions.

I call it the door to light because that's what Goofy calls it in the closing cutscene. "But where do we start lookin' for that there door to the light?" I just thought Ansem called it the door to darkness because that's what he thinks is what Kingdom Hearts is. But he was proven wrong, and it is actually light.

Early-installment weirdness, possibly? Where the heck was that open field that they ended up in, anyways? I have no idea.

I didn't know Ansem created a Kingdom Hearts. How/when did he do that? (Maybe it was in the Ansem reports but it's been a while since I've read those.)

Weeell, it kinda got retconned a little. Before KH1 was a small part of something much bigger, Ansem was looking for the "true" Kingdom Hearts. His method, in his words (presumably), was to “Seize all hearts and consummate the great heart. All hearts to be one, one heart to encompass all.”

Thing is, this has been retconned. This amalgamation, the "great heart," is not the true Kingdom Hearts as it was implied in KH1. The true one is the original source of all light, can only be accessed with X-Blade, etc, etc. This artificial clusterdiddly Ansem and his Heartless horde smashed together ended up being his undoing, ironically.

So let me see if I've got this straight. The door that we saw after the final Boss was not the door to Kingdom Hearts, it was the door to darkness. Past that door is the realm of darkness, where Kingdom Hearts is trapped inside. Ansem called to Kingdom Hearts to fill him with the power of darkness, but Kingdom Hearts filled him with light instead.

That's right.

If that's what happened then how did Kingdom Hearts get its light all the way out of the realm of darkness? I mean the realm of darkness is a pretty big place right? Aqua and Ansem (the real Ansem) were trapped in there. Did Kingdom Hearts just so happen to be situated right next to the door to darkness within the dark realm?

You gotta remember that KH1 was not created with all the sequels, new characters, and plotlines in mind. Characters like Roxas were just design-less ideas, Ansem SoD was the real Ansem, and characters like Aqua were completely non-existent.

Anyways, the main reason that Ansem SoD was building a Kingdom Hearts by "seizing all hearts," whether you're using the scope of just KH1 or the entire timeline, was to create massive source of darkness that, since he was a Heartless, would strengthen him. If you want to know why he thought a KH would have lots of darkness... well, if "darkness is the heart's true essence," where could you find a more potent and massive amount of the stuff than in a gigantic heart?

And ya know, light can travel a reeeeally long way. I mean, look at the stars in the real world. They don't even have Disney magic aiding them, and yet we can see their light shining through the dark void of space. Now, we have a massive gestalt of light, sitting in the deepest darkness, and steeped in a combination of Disney Magic, Anime Shenanigans, and Video Game Logic. What do you think is going to happen here?

Wilford111

Awards
*applause* Thank you so much for such a nice reply ^_^ This clears up pretty much everything. Thanks a lot :)

Patricier21

That door there was the Door to Darkness. A portal to the realm where Heartless originate, and the plane of existence that the one true Kingdom Hearts disappeared into. That light that destroyed Ansem like he was a vampire? It came from the Kingdom Hearts that Ansem created using mashed-together hearts of destroyed worlds. If you take a look inside of the RoD from the door's perspective, you can see a faint white light illuminating the background.

Who knows? I guess the realm borders can be kind of wonky, especially if you're someone like Riku. He could've accidentally phased through without knowing it. For now, assume "Disney magic, video game logic, or plot shenanigans" and don't worry about it.

Ansem wasn't calling the door "Kingdom Hearts," he was calling out to what was beyond that door. As I said before, it is a door to darkness, and a light shines in that deepest darkness. Enough light to vaporize a villain, it would seem.

Ya a lot of that will (hopefully) be explained in KH3 or later on. One of the things that could be fixed with TheKHRP's KH Reboot project

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
i always assumed riku/mickey got there the same way SDG did. more specifically, that was when riku learned how to open those dark portals (the name escapes me currently) and they used the incredible CoM plot power of scent to follow their companions.

Awards
i always assumed riku/mickey got there the same way SDG did. more specifically, that was when riku learned how to open those dark portals (the name escapes me currently) and they used the incredible CoM plot power of scent to follow their companions.
I believe they're called Corridors of Darkness?

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Follow your nose, it always knows~

I still haven't ever come across a plausible explanation about what that big open field SDG ended up in, though. How did they get there? Where the heck is it? Why does it just so happen to lead to Castle Oblivion? Is it a place that can lead to a lot of worlds, or is it just some scenic borderland around the worlds situated in the Realm of In-Between?

Awards
Follow your nose, it always knows~

I still haven't ever come across a plausible explanation about what that big open field SDG ended up in, though. How did they get there? Where the heck is it? Why does it just so happen to lead to Castle Oblivion? Is it a place that can lead to a lot of worlds, or is it just some scenic borderland around the worlds situated in the Realm of In-Between?
I'm going to go with scenic borderland. I was going to say it's a remnant of Land of Departure but I realized there's no grassy plains there.

Oathkeyper97

About the whole "how did Riku and Mickey get into Castle Oblivion" thing, if I recall, a conversation between Vexen and Zexion in Reverse Rebirth mentioned that. Vexen asks "Riku, you say? Has he emerged from the realm of darkness?" and then one of them goes on to say "the dark power given to Riku facilitated his escape from it's realm." And then he ended up in C.O. because "his heart resonates with that of another hero", which is Sora. So, yeah, dark powers/corridors of darkness, I guess.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
About the whole "how did Riku and Mickey get into Castle Oblivion" thing, if I recall, a conversation between Vexen and Zexion in Reverse Rebirth mentioned that. Vexen asks "Riku, you say? Has he emerged from the realm of darkness?" and then one of them goes on to say "the dark power given to Riku facilitated his escape from it's realm." And then he ended up in C.O. because "his heart resonates with that of another hero", which is Sora. So, yeah, dark powers/corridors of darkness, I guess.
So basically, because darkness powers create portals and Sora's a trouble magnet.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Why is everyone forgetting that DiZ/Ansem the Wise was the one facilitating Riku getting those cards that drew him and Mickey to Castle Oblivion?

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
I'm going to go with scenic borderland. I was going to say it's a remnant of Land of Departure but I realized there's no grassy plains there.

We haven't seen the whole world, though. We only saw a tiny portion of the Land of Departure. I'll actually go with the KHWiki's answer (for once) on this topic and say that this is simply part of the world Castle Oblivion, just it happens to not be so dark and gloomy.

Awards
We haven't seen the whole world, though. We only saw a tiny portion of the Land of Departure. I'll actually go with the KHWiki's answer (for once) on this topic and say that this is simply part of the world Castle Oblivion, just it happens to not be so dark and gloomy.
Huh. Never thought of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back