• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why was Maleficent's council looking for Keyholes?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
This may be a dumb question with a simple answer, but during my 1,000th re-play of KH1 (inspired by Blackdrazon's KH retrospective) I couldn't help wondering: why was Maleficent's group looking for the Keyholes?

After Deep Jungle, Jafar worries about Sora having found one of them, and wastes a wish trying to find the one in Agrabah later. Flotsam and Jetsam look for the Keyhole while Ursula is in Triton's palace (Ursula likely assuming it would be with Triton). Hades, Hook, and Oogie don't mention them, but Oogie's manor is sitting on top of Halloween Town's Keyhole, implying he found it and setup house there before Sora entered the picture--to defend it from a possible Keyblade Master (Maleficent's foresight) or something else?

At first I thought they might have wanted to find the Keyhole to increase the Heartless', and by extension their own, domination of their home worlds, but that can't be it because all but Oogie can already summon countless Heartless and Oogie doesn't have any power to do so despite (presumably) having direct contact with his world's Keyhole.

Maybe they wanted to destroy their home worlds? Ursula does talk about sending Ariel to the dark world of the Heartless. But why would they do that, considering they'd need somewhere to live/rule--at least in the mean time before they find Kingdom Hearts? And as far as I know, they didn't know about Xehanort attempting to create an artificial KH with the worlds' hearts and assumed finding the Princesses of Heart would lead them to KH.

Or did they just want to stop the Keyholes from being sealed because that would lessen the Heartless' control? But the Heartless can still be summoned even with the Keyhole sealed. I'm sure people more immersed in the story than I am probably know.

Anagram

Banned
So the heartless could devour that hearts world. It was literally just that simple plus whatever BS Ansem was telling them.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
They assumed the Keyholes would give them control of the world. Jafar says as much to Maleficent.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
So the heartless could devour that hearts world. It was literally just that simple plus whatever BS Ansem was telling them.

I didn't know they'd even met Xehanort's Heartless in KH1? They never have any scenes with him. I thought the only thing they knew of Ansem was what they read in the reports. Did Maleficent even know that Xehanort (who she met in BbS) and the guy who wrote the reports were the same person?

Anagram

Banned
I doubt they all did but Maleficent seemed to know more or she was just stupid to not notice Rikus change in hollow bastion.
If any met him it wouldn't be Meficent and through her the BS would spread to the others.

That's just assumption on me though. The thick of it is they was just having heartless devour worlds via the keyhole. I'm not sure anymore was elaborated on it beyond that.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Finding a Keyhole and siccing some Heartless on it would destroy the world and increase the Heartless' numbers. We know that the villains are doing this because of what Maleficent knows, and all that Maleficent knows is what Xehanort purposefully told her. Maleficent assumes that finding a Keyhole will give her more power. Whether she knew about the whole "devouring the heart of the world" thing or not, she was right about getting more power, since more Heartless to control makes for a more formidable threat.

Considering Xehanort has the kind of foresight that makes a chessmaster look like a hasty little kid, I really wouldn't be surprised if he had told Maleficent about the Keyholes and Princesses of Heart back in BBS as a backup plan. It's likely that she has never met Ansem SoD. By getting her to destroy many worlds, it allows the SoD to gather greater strength. Telling Maleficent that she needed the PoH's to find the power to rule all worlds was a nifty half-truth to entice a power-hungry villain to do the dirty work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back