• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Aang or Korra?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
This thread is to discuss which Avatar you have grown to like better throughout each series. It's not a contest to see who is stronger or better with the ladies, it's a contest to see which Avatar you think holds up to their role better.

Okay, so I remember growing up to Avatar: The Last Airbender when I was a kid, about 11 or 12. I LOVED, I mean LOVED, this show as a child, but I never got to finish it. Alas, I didn't revisit it until after season 4 of Korra came out. And when I got to Korra... holy shit, I can't have loved a show more in my life, I just can't. But which one had the better titular character?

Aang: Despite Aang being a bit childish for a hero, he has a deep desire to help people around the world, and is able to carry his own weight without letting it hold him down from carrying others. Think about it: it was because of Aang that the fire nation came and wiped out the Air Nomads. And no, it's not some bullshit where they were just "in hiding" later in the show; Aang has to live with the fact that it is because of him that his entire culture was obliterated, and he could have been there to stop it from happening. Yet, he doesn't let this get to him throughout the whole show; he is able to not only carry this burden on his back, but he uses it to become a stronger person because of it. He is lighthearted, yet tough, and knows how to always treat someone fairly even when others may not find it so easy to forgive, as evidenced when he spared Phoenix King Ozai's life in the final episode. This is why Aang is such a great character; not only is his personality so well thought out and interesting, but his personal struggle doesn't hold him down like it would with most other people; he is able to forgive and forget, which makes him one of the most likable characters in the show.

Korra: Korra starts off as an extremely brash teenager who has a liking for fire despite being a waterbender. However, as she learns about love, disappointment, and responsibilities, she becomes an extremely likable and fleshed out character, much like her predecessor, Aang, was. She is also one of the first to prove that the Avatar is as much the person as it is the spirit; she doesn't have to fit the mold of her previous ancestors, much like Aang doesn't at the end of his own series. She also has to deal with the fact that she forever has doomed the avatar spirit when she has Raava ripped from her own flesh, and how now she can never communicate with her past lives, something that has never happened before. Her character is best at the end of Season 3, however, and this is the one reason why:

The-Legend-of-Korra-Book-3-Finale-10.png

As far as she knows, the avatar has never been like this before. She feels useless, as if no matter what she does she will forever be haunted by the fact that she could never beat Zaheer. Her character takes a turn and especially shows her colors in the second episode of season 4, "Korra Alone," where she meets Toph and goes through what happened in between her leaving the north pole and going to the earth nation. Her plight has never been better portrayed, and that's why she's such a great character in my eyes.

This is such a hard decision for me, since I LOVE both series so much; hell, I'll even go to call them the best cartoons I have ever seen. Period. But, since I LOVE the episode "Korra Alone" so much, I'll have to say Korra. But damn, I love Aang too!

Any other ATLA and LoK fans? I would love to hear your opinions! ;W;

EDIT: Let's not forget the physical therapy she had to go through. I was almost crying because of how well they did that, like when she tried to walk to Naga I was so close to tears :'D

Last edited:

Anagram

Banned
Ehhhh It's honestly hard for me to like one or the other more because the Avatars were never actually my favorite characters. It was all the supporting cast in each series that carried it in my opinion. If I had to pick a favorite known avatar it'd be Wan.

BUT if I have to compare the two I'll say neither character wise. I think it's obvious that Atla was better thought out and had more thought put into every aspect. Even filler moments felt like a great time.
Korra in contrast was only meant for a single book. Her series also suffered from very VERY poor decisions. Namely the whole relationship bullshit that more or less ruined Book 2 all because one of the creators liked "cheesy teenage drama" and added it into Book 1. Which hurts worse because it was carried over a book.

BUT around book 3 Korra's series finally pulled it's freakin self together. Book 3 was amazing for all kinds of reasons. No complaints about it. Book 4 was good too. They basically had a better Atla feel to them and fleshed out Korra as a person.

Metalbending, Bolin, lavabending, Jinorra, Tenzin, etc many cool things. However I'd say the best Korra moments were any Toph scene and Wans two episodes. While the poor ones being relationship subplots and that giant mech fight....it was just so uninteresting.

I know the whole KorSami thing is something new other cartoon has dared to do, I know fans love this, I too have nothing against it BUT after the mess of douchebag with woman Mako in book 1 & 2 I'd have honestly preferred it if the series never had that crap at all and focused entirely on the characters and events like Book 3 did.
I apply this to Atla as well. It wasn't an issue or even relevant for most of the plot but I couldn't have cared less about Aang and his crush.

It also saddened me that Korra lost her past lives. I wouldn't have cared early on but after she started connecting with them it felt like wasted opportunity to throw them away. Especially when Toph came back into the show.

So all in all, getting my gripes out of the way, I can't help but agree with you on all the positives so I wont retype them. (being lazy)
There was still many things to love in both series and I enjoyed the steampunk/1920s vibe of Korras series. BUT if I had to compare it'd rate Atla higher as a series.
Aang was better handled, I wasn't forced fed his love dramas for an entire book/season as a main focus, his resolve felt more real due to the airbender genocide, and I enjoyed his actual spirituality and moments with Roku.
In hindsight it felt like it took book 3 & 4 for Korra to even reach a level of maturity Aang had at the biological age and mind of 12 when it came to worldly affairs and problems.

I think Korra would've been best left as a single book series without any of the love triangle bullshit. Just like I think Wan would've been better as a tv movie special solely of him. Kinda like his two episodes being an OVA.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Ehhhh It's honestly hard for me to like one or the other more because the Avatars were never actually my favorite characters. It was all the supporting cast in each series that carried it in my opinion. If I had to pick a favorite known avatar it'd be Wan.

BUT if I have to compare the two I'll say neither character wise. I think it's obvious that Atla was better thought out and had more thought put into every aspect. Even filler moments felt like a great time.
Korra in contrast was only meant for a single book. Her series also suffered from very VERY poor decisions. Namely the whole relationship bullshit that more or less ruined Book 2 all because one of the creators liked "cheesy teenage drama" and added it into Book 1. Which hurts worse because it was carried over a book.

BUT around book 3 Korra's series finally pulled it's freakin self together. Book 3 was amazing for all kinds of reasons. No complaints about it. Book 4 was good too. They basically had a better Atla feel to them and fleshed out Korra as a person.

Metalbending, Bolin, lavabending, Jinorra, Tenzin, etc many cool things. However I'd say the best Korra moments were any Toph scene and Wans two episodes. While the poor ones being relationship subplots and that giant mech fight....it was just so uninteresting.

I know the whole KorSami thing is something new other cartoon has dared to do, I know fans love this, I too have nothing against it BUT after the mess of douchebag with woman Mako in book 1 & 2 I'd have honestly preferred it if the series never had that crap at all and focused entirely on the characters and events like Book 3 did.
I apply this to Atla as well. It wasn't an issue or even relevant for most of the plot but I couldn't have cared less about Aang and his crush.

It also saddened me that Korra lost her past lives. I wouldn't have cared early on but after she started connecting with them it felt like wasted opportunity to throw them away. Especially when Toph came back into the show.

So all in all, getting my gripes out of the way, I can't help but agree with you on all the positives so I wont retype them. (being lazy)
There was still many things to love in both series and I enjoyed the steampunk/1920s vibe of Korras series. BUT if I had to compare it'd rate Atla higher as a series.
Aang was better handled, I wasn't forced fed his love dramas for an entire book/season as a main focus, his resolve felt more real due to the airbender genocide, and I enjoyed his actual spirituality and moments with Roku.
In hindsight it felt like it took book 3 & 4 for Korra to even reach a level of maturity Aang had at the biological age and mind of 12 when it came to worldly affairs and problems.

I think Korra would've been best left as a single book series without any of the love triangle bullshit. Just like I think Wan would've been better as a tv movie special solely of him. Kinda like his two episodes being an OVA.

8aa8ed2b389e1c8ce3636a603c370abe.jpg

Gah, and I thought it couldn't get any better than Toph ATLA :D Love her as an old woman!

Awards
Both Aang and Korra were great and I really like how their arcs were supposed to be opposite: a boy who ran from the chance to be the special chosen one and just wanted to be a normal boy, and a girl who jumped at the chance to be the chosen one to the point where that was what she saw as the crux of her being and she didn't know how to or want to be a normal girl.

Early LoK really suffered from throwing so much focus into the love triangle and sacrificing Bolin's and Asami's characters to do so, but in book 3 and 4, Korra's arc was a lot clearer and the stuff she went through was really well written and easy to relate to. She was knocked down from all she ever saw herself as. She didn't know how to be something that wasn't the all powerful avatar. She learned to see things through others' eyes.

So I think I'd say that my favorite between the two was Korra, probably because she's fresher in my mind and I'm older now, so I could appreciate her arc more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back