• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

They were self-taught again?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

χBladeMaster

Destiny Islands, finally winning races against Rik
According to Yen Sid, Sora and Riku, prior to 3D, were "self-taught keyblade wielders." So, in order to train them properly, he had them forget everything they knew about the keyblade and relearn it all. But, how does that make them any different from being self-taught? No one trains either Sora or Riku during 3D. They literally just relearn everything they knew about the keyblade (and more) on their own yet again. Yen Sid didn't even know where they were 98% of the game, so he certainly wasn't teaching them anything.

He said that "a true master" will have to show you the way. This straight up did not happen in this game.

LeonesFangs

Website
leonesfangs.deviantart.com
I think it was because they were trained like the keyblade masters in BBS relying on command decks rather then straight up aggressive strategy. I would compare the scenario in DDD to the Hyperbolic time chamber in DBZ. A means of training in a limited amount of time while also providing help for other worlds lost from the heartless so in essence they were relying on a new method of fighting.

χBladeMaster

Destiny Islands, finally winning races against Rik
The command decks are just a gameplay feature. They don't mean anything in canon. Yes time flows differently in the sleeping worlds, and yes the hyperbolic time chamber is an apt comparison, as Yen Sid expected them to finish their journey in a few seconds in real time. However, the time spent in the sleeping worlds is not nearly as much time as Aqua and Terra spent training under Eraqus.

The fact still remains that the whole reason they had to take the test is that they were self-taught. In the test, they were also self-taught. I'm mainly just complaining that Yen Sid's actions quite often contradict his words.

LeonesFangs

Website
leonesfangs.deviantart.com
Also, You know something has always bugged me about Yen Sid since recoded and birth by sleep. The fact that he has always been spot on about Xehanort's goals and ambitions and what he will do next. It's like he allowed a lot of the stuff in DDD to transpire sort of intentionally, which is bizarre.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
Also, You know something has always bugged me about Yen Sid since recoded and birth by sleep. The fact that he has always been spot on about Xehanort's goals and ambitions and what he will do next. It's like he allowed a lot of the stuff in DDD to transpire sort of intentionally, which is bizarre.

Which begs the question of why couldn't Yen Sid just stop Xehanort directly?

Anagram

Banned
It's just an excuse for Nomura to make them level one again. Gameplay features or not that's all it is. There is always a reason for a level 1 reset.

Chain of Memories: he forgot
KH2: he forgot
Coded: was a digital copy with no experience
DDD: learning to wield the "right way"

Morgenstern

Awards
It's just an excuse for Nomura to make them level one again. Gameplay features or not that's all it is. There is always a reason for a level 1 reset.

Chain of Memories: he forgot
KH2: he forgot
Coded: was a digital copy with no experience
DDD: learning to wield the "right way"

I expect III's excuse to be training to retake the test

χBladeMaster;6279568 said:
Because he seems to literally be unable to physically leave his chair.

Can you link your signature image?

Anyway I think the reason Yen Sid can't intervene directly has to do with Time Travel. I see Xehanort's scheme to recruit vessels as basically creating what The Doctor in Doctor Who calls a "Fixed Point" in Time, something that cannot be changed without disastrous consequences (especially when the rules of time travel include not changing the Past, which is the only thing consistent with Timeless River).

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
Yen Sid is a retired keyblade wielder. I think he, unlike MX, is the type of character who would rather spend his limited remaining years grooming a successor (Mickey) than directly participating in worldly affairs. Kinda like how, in DBZ, Goku wanted Goten and Trunks to defeat Majin Buu instead.

As for the MoM exam, you could argue that the bonds that Sora and Riku forged with the worlds in the RoS helped them grow spiritually (for lack of better wording) into Masters, particularly after sealing each keyhole. In theory, part of being a Master is being able to rescue those in sleep/torment, and the RoS seemed fitting enough to achieve the necessary powers.

If anything, Sora and Riku should both be at where Terra and Aqua were at the end of their exam in BBS. Both have the abilities, but one has the title.

Joker'sHeartless

Awards
I suppose if you really wanted to be convoluted about it (and give Yen Sid a ton of credit) you could say that in a way, Sora and Riku were the Masters that were teaching them...selves

Like, the first time they learned to wield a keyblade, they had some wooden sword experience (also self taught), but the keyblade is totally different; it's got magic and a sort of will of its own. By the time they had gotten really good and figured out who they were and how they fight, they'd also ingrained all these bad habits from years of doing things the same way they did when they were new.

What Yen Sid did was give them a chance to retrain themselves. "You know what you want your body to do. Now you have the chance to feel what it's like to do it without all that bad muscle-memory", type deal.
Plus, this gives them a chance to experiment with their power and identity as a keybearer. Take the command "Shadow Breaker" for example. Riku successfully channels light, Sora successfully channels darkness, they are both more complete and balanced people for the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back