• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What did The Phantom do?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Veritas7340

After the events of Hollow Bastion, Sora is essentially a walking heart more or less because Roxas is his body.

When you defeat The Phantom, the journal states that this Heartless stole your heart during the battle.

Since Sora at this point is just a heart, what happened here?

I know this is an optional boss and therefore likely not canon, but speculating an in-universe reason might be fun.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
After the events of Hollow Bastion, Sora is essentially a walking heart more or less because Roxas is his body.

When you defeat The Phantom, the journal states that this Heartless stole your heart during the battle.

Since Sora at this point is just a heart, what happened here?

I know this is an optional boss and therefore likely not canon, but speculating an in-universe reason might be fun.

Maybe, the Phantom could represent Ansem in some way.

Precursor Mar

I doubt Nomura or Square even considered the whole Roxas plot when making this boss. Plus I believe the Phantom was exclusive to the english version of the game which isn't canon.

Hakan Xatos

Awards
Theoretically Sora never lost his heart in the battle. The Phantom just put a Doom curse on him where when the timer expired would instantly steal his heart. Losing to any heartless would cause Sora to have his heart stolen. The Phantom just had an awesome heart stealing move that did it quicker.

Veritas7340

Theoretically Sora never lost his heart in the battle. The Phantom just put a Doom curse on him where when the timer expired would instantly steal his heart. Losing to any heartless would cause Sora to have his heart stolen. The Phantom just had an awesome heart stealing move that did it quicker.

The Phantom's weak spot is a heart. According to the journal, that heart was Sora's

Hakan Xatos

Awards
The Phantom's weak spot is a heart. According to the journal, that heart was Sora's

Since I'm at work I can't double check on the game. However the journal entry from the KH wiki doesn't say the Phantom actually got Sora's heart. The spell it refers to is the Doom spell. So the only way he can take Sora's heart is if the timer runs out.

Phantom
Kingdom Hearts
Ghostlike Heartless who haunted the clock tower standing far away from Neverland. Fluttering his eerie cloak, he cast a spell to take Sora's heart. Having no physical body, regular attacks were useless, but in the end Sora and company discovered his weakness and prevailed

Veritas7340

I checked the game. It turns out that KH wiki has the right journal entry. It says the same thing:

"Fluttering his eerie cloak, he cast a spell to take Sora's heart. Having no physical body, regular attacks were useless, but in the end Sora and company discovered his weakness and prevailed."

Since Heartless usually don't have hearts, I thought that the Phantom's heart was Sora's. Is there an official answer about this?

Hakan Xatos

Awards
Actually yes. The Phantom is an emblem heartless so it contains a heart of its own. Pureblood heartless on the other hand, don't have hearts of their own.

Edit: I really wouldn't have realized it myself without playing Days :p
Also if you look up Heartless in the wiki and check under the nature subtitle it will give a better explanation than I have.

Veritas7340

Too bad, I thought it was cooler the other way. It does make more sense this way though. Imagine how painful it would be to hit your own heart with all of those attacks and spells. Perhaps I'll just keep it as part of my own personal canon.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com

That is interesting to note. I never fought against the Phantom since I did something with the game to avoid the optional boss fight with him. Wasn't the Phantom also inspired by a character from the Peter Pan book series? It's interesting that Kingdom Hearts wikia lists it as an Emblem Heartless.

Hakan Xatos

Awards
Too bad, I thought it was cooler the other way. It does make more sense this way though. Imagine how painful it would be to hit your own heart with all of those attacks and spells. Perhaps I'll just keep it as part of my own personal canon.
Yeah I admit it's a pretty cool way of looking at it. You're killing yourself with each spell and attack just to destroy the Phantom. It would be neat to incorporate this in a future boss fight where you take damage dealt by trying to release your imprisoned heart.

That is interesting to note. I never fought against the Phantom since I did something with the game to avoid the optional boss fight with him. Wasn't the Phantom also inspired by a character from the Peter Pan book series? It's interesting that Kingdom Hearts wikia lists it as an Emblem Heartless.
I really recommend giving him a shot. Especially in the Final Mix he's pretty challenging of your magic abilities. You're right about his inspiration. I'm not sure if it's "official" but they look exactly the same. You can't see it unless by video but it does have an emblem on it's back.

Precursor Mar

You're hitting the barrier protecting the heart, not the heart itself.

I haven't read the book, but from what I've seen from the Disney movie, I'm guessing it's based on Peter Pan's shadow?

Anagram

Banned
I wouldn't consider Phantom canon. He was one of those fun bosses added it for...well fun. It is definitely an emblem though since it has the symbol on it's back.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
Phantom and Kurt Zisa are both just "for funsies" bosses. They're not really plot relevant, I don't think. As in, whether they're canon or not, it has no bearing on the overall plot since Phantom would have stolen Sora's heart, had the Doom curse activated (which results in you dying, so that'd make sense given that Sora is a walking heart at this point).

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
You're hitting the barrier protecting the heart, not the heart itself.

I haven't read the book, but from what I've seen from the Disney movie, I'm guessing it's based on Peter Pan's shadow?

Possibly, I think I saw what the KH Wikia originally said about it, but I think they edited it since I last saw it. I can't find any reference to what The Phantom played in the Peter Pan books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back