• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Tetsuya Nomura talks Drive Forms and more with Destructoid!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scather

Damn Valor, Wisdom, Master, Brave and Final...
I think that at this point, they should begin with Master Form or just innovate the old ones.. cooler than ever!

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Can't say that I'm too thrilled with the possibility of having the stupid, overpowered Drive Forms back.
They will have to readjust them anyways though as depending on when Ventus is finally rescued and awakened (and not counting the fact that Nomura may create an asspull to still allow it), dual-wielding should be history in Sora's case.

Alongside the new Keyblade Transformations, the Disney Rides and Flowmotion abilities adding forms too would make Sora way too overpowered. Especially when we take a look at all the other characters who have a vastly more limited arsenal (so far) compared to him.

BEASTENDER

Can't say that I'm too thrilled with the possibility of having the stupid, overpowered Drive Forms back.
They will have to readjust them anyways though as depending on when Ventus is finally rescued and awakened (and not counting the fact that Nomura may create an asspull to still allow it), dual-wielding should be history in Sora's case.

Alongside the new Keyblade Transformations, the Disney Rides and Flowmotion abilities adding forms too would make Sora way too overpowered. Especially when we take a look at all the other characters who have a vastly more limited arsenal (so far) compared to him.

I forget why, but I know Xemnas lied about Nobodies having real emotions. Wasn't it because they actually had a heart? (I have forgotten DDD's details lol) If so, Roxas being with Sora justifies a second keyblade. In any case, Sora transforms one keyblade into two separate guns. He should be able to do the exact same things with a blade or keyblade of some sort, which is what I assumed they would do. I think him not doing that would be the real frustration, when he is clearly capable with or without any additional hearts. So I think he would have utilized a dual wielding like mechanic with or without Drive Forms (Which I don't truly want back the way they are. I want the next level of drive forms, which is 2+ keyblades/weapons with elements and special abilities attached like command/link styles.) And drive forms were always optional, never necessary.

Also, I really don't think all the variety will result in Sora being OP, especially since enemies themselves are getting such a dramatic upgrade in 3 (Wave of heartless, Heartless that lift up entire buildings with you still inside, etc). If there is anything to be concerned about, I think it's having too many things and making some features useless or something players rarely or never use.

ultima-demi

(>..)>
Awards
Lol honesty if Sora is capable in turning his keyblade into a chariot/Gun/Bigger Gun how hard will it be to turn it into another blade to dual wield with.

That just seems like child play at this point for him.

Last edited:

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I forget why, but I know Xemnas lied about Nobodies having real emotions. Wasn't it because they actually had a heart? (I have forgotten DDD's details lol) If so, Roxas being with Sora justifies a second keyblade. In any case, Sora transforms one keyblade into two separate guns. He should be able to do the exact same things with a blade or keyblade of some sort, which is what I assumed they would do. I think him not doing that would be the real frustration, when he is clearly capable with or without any additional hearts. So I think he would have utilized a dual wielding like mechanic with or without Drive Forms (Which I don't truly want back the way they are. I want the next level of drive forms, which is 2+ keyblades/weapons with elements and special abilities attached like command/link styles.) And drive forms were always optional, never necessary.

Also, I really don't think all the variety will result in Sora being OP, especially since enemies themselves are getting such a dramatic upgrade in 3 (Wave of heartless, Heartless that lift up entire buildings with you still inside, etc). If there is anything to be concerned about, I think it's having too many things and making some features useless or something players rarely or never use.

The fact Xemnas lied about (in fact only Xemnas, Xigbar and Xehanort himself even knew about it, DiZ found it out during his research, but refused to believe it due to his hatred for Nobodies), was that Nobodies can regain/regrow an own heart by connecting with the world and living things.
Nobodies have no hearts, but they can gain one by different means than the one Xemnas was propagating (through the fake KH) all the time.
Xemnas deliberately made it look like his way was the ONLY way in which Nobodies can gain a heart.

The proposal you bring though would still not allow Sora to dual-wield truly two Keyblades.
Roxas' heart being present would indeed allow dual-wielding ability, but 1st is Roxas more or less also scheduled to become is own entity and 2nd Roxas has no Keyblade. He was always using either Sora's or Ven's.
If you count in Xion's heart, Sora would technically even be qualified for triple wielding, but she too has no own Keyblade.

I am less concerned with cheap mooks/cannon fodder like Heartless but his abilities in comparison to the other central characters, allies and enemies alike.
With Sora being such an overpowered allrounder, the other characters like i.e. Riku, Mickey, Aqua, Ventus etc. will look like pathetic weaklings if they aren't upgraded as well.
Bosses like Xigbar/Braig, Saix/Isa or Maleficent would become a laughable joke (Sephiroth in KH2 IS already a joke because of the Drive Forms, in Final Mix even more than the Vanilla KH 2 because you can use Limit Form alone) and don't get me even started on Donald and Goofy who would probably be just there as eye candy since Sora can blast apart everything but the hardest secret bosses on his own.

Lol honesty if Sora is capable in turning his keyblade into a chariot/Gun/Bigger Gun how hard will it be to turn it into another blade to dual wield with.

That just seems like child play at this point for him.

Yea, of course, the Transformations give the golden opportunity to have a dual-wielding capability without having to look at any of the rules for true dual-wielding.
This one has however some small limitations of its own. One is that it is dual-wielding not two Keyblades but one blade split in two and second is that it is stated that transformations are unique to each Keyblade.
So in order to dual-wield you would need to have the Keyblade equipped that allows this transformation.

BEASTENDER

@Sephiroth0812

I see, thanks for the refresher. The one potential "plothole" is indeed that Roxas doesn't have a keyblade. But then again I'm not so sure about that. It's not like Sora uses Ven's keyblade when he calls a second keyblade (Unless it somehow just is and Sora's different keyblade chains are giving it a different shape). So I'm still no so convinced that a heart that can wield a keyblade isn't enough. (and yea, I though of Xion too. And whether a person believes it to be canon or not, he used 3 keyblades in KH2 final mix when fighting Roxas)

As for TAV, it's not KH3 Sora that makes them look weaker in comparison, it's all of BBS.....That's why I don't like it nearly as much as KH2. They're supposed to be master level, but endgame KH2 Sora is more powerful in combat. Look at Lingering Sentiment from KH2 Final Mix, and then Look at Terra in BBS....the difference is so night and day it's borderline embarrassing. But I see Lingering Sentiment as a preview of what TAV will be like in KH3 (and that was 10 years ago!), so I wouldn't worry about that at all.

Also again, as Sora levels up in KH3, so will enemies and bosses. Remember when Nomura made Osaka team power Sora down because there was a point where just "moving around made him invincible"? Even Nomura was a little concerned about how powerful Sora was becoming during the development oh KH3, so I don't believe all of his abilities will result in him being overpowered since they are paying close attention to this kind of thing. They stated they intentionally made the trailer flashy this time, since they could only show so much (they wanted to show more). Gameplay won't look like that at all times. There were also no working MP or "EX" gauges. In the real game, you won't be able to spam powerful moves and mechanics, so you won't just effortlessly destroy everything in your wake lol It'll all be fine :D And if Drive Forms do come back in some form, it's almost guaranteed that they'll be 100% optional like in KH2.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
@Sephiroth0812

I see, thanks for the refresher. The one potential "plothole" is indeed that Roxas doesn't have a keyblade. But then again I'm not so sure about that. It's not like Sora uses Ven's keyblade when he calls a second keyblade (Unless it somehow just is and Sora's different keyblade chains are giving it a different shape). So I'm still no so convinced that a heart that can wield a keyblade isn't enough. (and yea, I though of Xion too. And whether a person believes it to be canon or not, he used 3 keyblades in KH2 final mix when fighting Roxas)
That is exactly what both Sora and Roxas are doing when they dual-wield. That has been confirmed in the BBS Ultimania. The two Keyblades in use are always Sora's and Ven's. Sora and Roxas even both wield Sora's Kingdom Key at the same time (during Chain of Memories) because of their close special relationship. This was also plainly stated in an interview (either from CoM or from KH 2). Ven's Keyblade came only into the mix when Xion disappeared as the shock and emotional turmoil Roxas felt at this event were so strong that he accidentally accessed Ven's sleeping heart and unsealed his Keyblade.
Xion's "Keyblade" on the other hand was never more than a cheap sham, as confirmed by Riku in-game during Days, a fake that could only function because she was siphoning Sora's memories of the Keyblade to power the copy.

As for TAV, it's not KH3 Sora that makes them look weaker in comparison, it's all of BBS.....That's why I don't like it nearly as much as KH2. They're supposed to be master level, but endgame KH2 Sora is more powerful in combat. Look at Lingering Sentiment from KH2 Final Mix, and then Look at Terra in BBS....the difference is so night and day it's borderline embarrassing. But I see Lingering Sentiment as a preview of what TAV will be like in KH3 (and that was 10 years ago!), so I wouldn't worry about that at all.

Also again, as Sora levels up in KH3, so will enemies and bosses. Remember when Nomura made Osaka team power Sora down because there was a point where just "moving around made him invincible"? Even Nomura was a little concerned about how powerful Sora was becoming during the development oh KH3, so I don't believe all of his abilities will result in him being overpowered since they are paying close attention to this kind of thing. They stated they intentionally made the trailer flashy this time, since they could only show so much (they wanted to show more). Gameplay won't look like that at all times. There were also no working MP or "EX" gauges. In the real game, you won't be able to spam powerful moves and mechanics, so you won't just effortlessly destroy everything in your wake lol It'll all be fine :D And if Drive Forms do come back in some form, it's almost guaranteed that they'll be 100% optional like in KH2.

All that endgame KH2 Sora has is that everything is more flashier and over-the-top (like KH 2 in general is), lol.

Disregarding the obvious inferiority of the PSP hardware-wise, the attacks, techniques and abilities shown in BBS itself were suitably powerful, especially the shotlocks which some players even mark as overpowered as well. They just weren't as eyecatching as KH 2 (and there were no skyscrapers to slice apart).
Aqua fought Hades and a copy of the Ice Titan at the same time and won, faced Terra-Xehanort and the giant Heartless in the Dark Realm, Terra held his own against MX and Vanitas together while Ven went one-on-one with Captain Hook, Maleficent in her human form and an X-blade-wielding Vanitas, all no small feats that can certainly put on the same level of respect than most of the stuff Sora pulled in KH 2.
This presentation is what throws people off and has many claim that Sora is stronger (and of course the notion that he's the protagonist and the protagonist has to be always the strongest because reasons).
Moving away from solely the BBS-crew though, the same issue applies also to Riku, Mickey, Roxas or any of the major villains as well, and most of those did already have their debut in a "big" console title.
Even when looking solely at KH 2, I guess no one can deny that despite being said to be on roughly equal level of power, what Riku can do and show during KH 2 pales big time to what flashy things they made Sora capable of.
Mickey can do some Yoda-like jumping and shoot some light pearls, but otherwise you don't see that he's supposed to be a Master that surpasses both Sora and Riku.

It's true that maybe I'm overanalyzing, but KH 2 with its total overdone hollywood flashiness and overpowered techniques but close to zero real substance really rubs me the wrong way. It's gotten even stronger again since I could play HD 2.5 recently and see it again in all its glory. The only thing that is really a challenge difficulty-wise in KH 2 are the Lingering Will and the Org Data-battles. Even Sephiroth is a walk in the park if you use everything that you have at your disposal.

The last game I remember were enemies actually level up just like the player does was FF VIII, whereas in KH the only games I remember were regular enemies pose any kind of true challenges are KH 1 and DDD.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I think that after you cleared Hollow Bastion in KH1 enemies in every world were replaced with stronger ones.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
I think that after you cleared Hollow Bastion in KH1 enemies in every world were replaced with stronger ones.

They did.

In fact, I kind of always forget about that. I kind of wish the other games did that, because I don't think they did. Sure, KH2 did when you revisited everything, but even then, a lot of the worlds were still pretty easy. In KH1, revisits could be sometimes challenging, depending on your level/where you went (waiting to do Monstro until after Hollow Bastion was a monstrosity).

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
They did.

In fact, I kind of always forget about that. I kind of wish the other games did that, because I don't think they did. Sure, KH2 did when you revisited everything, but even then, a lot of the worlds were still pretty easy. In KH1, revisits could be sometimes challenging, depending on your level/where you went (waiting to do Monstro until after Hollow Bastion was a monstrosity).

^^^ I think KH2 revisits changed the Heartless with the Nobodies. I remember having a hard time with some Nobodies. But the Sorcerers Nobodies on TWTNW were pretty annoying even on Beginner Mode... Dx

Sdog

Awards
^^^ I think KH2 revisits changed the Heartless with the Nobodies. I remember having a hard time with some Nobodies. But the Sorcerers Nobodies on TWTNW were pretty annoying even on Beginner Mode... Dx

I loathed some of those revisits when it came to those moments. Replacing the Heartless with Nobodies in certain areas made everything feel so much more somber. Though some revisit bosses made up for it.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I loathed some of those revisits when it came to those moments. Replacing the Heartless with Nobodies in certain areas made everything feel so much more somber. Though some revisit bosses made up for it.

Nobodies aren't as colorful and varied as the Heartless. The motif around the Nobodies are FINAL FANTASY Jobs with white and gray color scheme, so they were a bit boring because of that.

But back on the topic of Drive Forms (LOL), does anyone think old Drive Forms will make a comeback, will new ones be added, or will new ones replaces all of the old ones (or some)?

Some guy

WISDOM!!! Please, that's like my fav form ... but then again, with the twin blaster gun thingy shooting fireballs, it might be redundant.

MichaelBarrios75

The idea of certain Disney characters inspiring Drive Forms is actually an interesting idea. If they ever did something like that, it'd most likely be protagonists/party members. Hercules-themed drive form, Aladdin-themed, Mulan-themed, etc. Especially if they carry over the styles of the movies into the clothes.

EDIT: Although, how awesome would Drive Forms based on Maleficent or Hades be?
I thought I was the only one !!

billyzanesucks

It's true that maybe I'm overanalyzing, but KH 2 with its total overdone hollywood flashiness and overpowered techniques but close to zero real substance really rubs me the wrong way. It's gotten even stronger again since I could play HD 2.5 recently and see it again in all its glory. The only thing that is really a challenge difficulty-wise in KH 2 are the Lingering Will and the Org Data-battles. Even Sephiroth is a walk in the park if you use everything that you have at your disposal.
Have you tried a Level 1 run?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back