• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Tetsuya Nomura's Kingdom Hearts 3 Interview with Engadget!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards

The Kingdom Hearts 3 news keeps rolling in as E3 continues! Engadget was able to grab an interview with Nomura Tetsuya and inquired about several of the technical aspects of the game that weren't delved into during the Square Enix Presents segment!

--The game's been teased for two years, so what's happening now with Kingdom Hearts 3?

Nomura: Compared to the initial first look at the game, in the trailer we're showing now, the visual aspects have evolved a lot. Not only the particle effects within the battles, but also the sheer scale of it. While the world may not be comparable to massively open-world titles, it's far bigger than previous Kingdom Hearts titles. There's a huge decrease in load times too. In previous games, you'd run to the end of an area and it would go dark before transitioning to the next stage -- now it's become seamless, as you can see in the trailer when Sora jumps off the mountain you've just battled up. The environments themselves, in KH3, things will be affected by real-time actions, a tornado spell will swirl the blades of grass surrounding it.

--Given that the game is coming to PS4 and Xbox One, how are you tackling online?

Nomura: Online is certainly part of my wish list -- we want gamers to play for a while and an online component helps this. While we may be focusing on the main campaign at the moment, but it's not as if we're going to tack on an online function at the end. In fact, we've already got plenty of ideas brewing at the moment. However, we're still not at the point where we can test these ideas inside the main game.

--Why didn't we see many Disney characters in the new game?

Nomura: Well, Donald and Goofy were there -- and we've announced that we're collaborating with Tangled, something we touched upon in our E3 presentation. Compared to previous titles that we folded into Kingdom Hearts, we have a lot of creators still alive. The process of gaining approvals then is pretty different. Because the animation studios are actively involved, we want to polish up anything we meet to the standards we demand, before taking it to Disney to approval. The hair of [Tangled's] Rapunzel is so unique -- we want to make sure we can realize the vision before we show it.

--So how about Frozen?

Nomura: We're not saying anything on titles not yet announced.

--Can we expect far more worlds in Kingdom Hearts 3?

Nomura: With every Kingdom Hearts title, we plan to deliver more worlds than actually appear in game -- so we have something in our pockets to work with. Then as we begin to hone these worlds and stages, and some do get cut. [At this point], we have prepared more worlds, in that respect, than Kingdom Hearts 2.

--Any worlds that weren't realized in KH2?

Nomura: Man, KH2 was quite a while ago. ... Typically, worlds that we weren't able to put into a game are usually picked up again for work in the sequel. We prepare each stage, planning to include it in a game -- and we love the worlds we come up with.

--Is anything going to change with how you play the game?

Nomura: Nothing's set in stone, although naturally, the PS4's controller has that touchpanel, and that's something we're going to have to consider within the control scheme. Coming from Kingdom Hearts 2, there won't be a huge difference in battle controls -- we're not going to change how you jump or anything -- it'll be more of an evolution. Depending on how we utilize the touchpanel, we may not need other forms of control [for certain actions].

Having said that, control preferences are different from person to person. Especially with cameras. We took an internal survey at Square Enix about this: and the result was an almost precise split, 50:50. We're going to have to look into this pretty carefully.

Source

MegaRay

Re: Nomura Tetsuya's Kingdom Hearts 3 Interview with Engadget!

No question about KH3D HD or a PS4/Vita collection? :(

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Re: Tetsuya Nomura's Kingdom Hearts 3 Interview with Engadget!

No, but I'm sure there are more Nomura interviews to come so keep your fingers crossed! C:

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards

love the more worlds then kingdom hearts 2 part plus they working closely with the disney movie creators to make it world close to the movie this could the best and ponitenally longest kingdom hearts game ever

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards

It's good that transitioning between areas is seamless now. This also means for the first time since KHI, we'll be seeing Sora opening doors.

Anagram

Banned

Please don't let any touchpad ideas be something annoying. (yes that's the only part I care about in that interview)

ultima-demi

(>..)>
Awards

Ah nice was hoping for seamless worlds and it's to see them working closely with Disney,can't wait to see how the final build looks.

To much negativity on the graphics right now.

Kh2 had 16 playable worlds to,it's hard to imagine they'll be more than that.It seems possible every world people want has a chance of making it.

Awards

You would kill my ability to Quote you with all that HTML (Q)_(Q)
--Given that the game is coming to PS4 and Xbox One, how are you tackling online?

Nomura: Online is certainly part of my wish list -- we want gamers to play for a while and an online component helps this. While we may be focusing on the main campaign at the moment, but it's not as if we're going to tack on an online function at the end. In fact, we've already got plenty of ideas brewing at the moment. However, we're still not at the point where we can test these ideas inside the main game.
Yes they are planning on using online features. My dream of Versus mode and the return of the Mirage Arena could be possible.

--Why didn't we see many Disney characters in the new game?

Nomura: Well, Donald and Goofy were there -- and we've announced that we're collaborating with Tangled, something we touched upon in our E3 presentation. Compared to previous titles that we folded into Kingdom Hearts, we have a lot of creators still alive. The process of gaining approvals then is pretty different. Because the animation studios are actively involved, we want to polish up anything we meet to the standards we demand, before taking it to Disney to approval. The hair of [Tangled's] Rapunzel is so unique -- we want to make sure we can realize the vision before we show it.
I think that confirms that we'll be getting a lot more recent titles.

--Is anything going to change with how you play the game?

Nomura: Nothing's set in stone, although naturally, the PS4's controller has that touchpanel, and that's something we're going to have to consider within the control scheme. Coming from Kingdom Hearts 2, there won't be a huge difference in battle controls -- we're not going to change how you jump or anything -- it'll be more of an evolution. Depending on how we utilize the touchpanel, we may not need other forms of control [for certain actions].

Having said that, control preferences are different from person to person. Especially with cameras. We took an internal survey at Square Enix about this: and the result was an almost precise split, 50:50. We're going to have to look into this pretty carefully
This is good news. I was really hoping they used the touch panel and was afraid they wouldn't since it's going to be on Xbox One as well. Sounds like it will be better controls on PlayStation (in addition to better graphics framerates and such that come from PS4).

--Can we expect far more worlds in Kingdom Hearts 3?

Nomura: With every Kingdom Hearts title, we plan to deliver more worlds than actually appear in game -- so we have something in our pockets to work with. Then as we begin to hone these worlds and stages, and some do get cut. [At this point], we have prepared more worlds, in that respect, than Kingdom Hearts 2.
Hopefully it finishes with more worlds. I really want this game to have more quality length than KH2.

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards

Every Nomura interview he's done after E3 is better than last night's Square Presents interview :p

Love all the bits of info he drops :D

kingsoraful

Awards

I think Frozen is pretty much a guarantee in Kingdom Hearts III also that whole worlds cut makes me think we will be seeing The Jungle Book as well which was supposed to be in KH BBS.

Love that he said there will be more worlds than in KH II, I wouldn't bat an eye at 20 + worlds. Especially with how many properties Disney has now, it's easily manageable.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards

Nomura: Well, Donald and Goofy were there -- and we've announced that we're collaborating with Tangled, something we touched upon in our E3 presentation. Compared to previous titles that we folded into Kingdom Hearts, we have a lot of creators still alive. The process of gaining approvals then is pretty different. Because the animation studios are actively involved, we want to polish up anything we meet to the standards we demand, before taking it to Disney to approval.
This made me think Frozen, since they Disney was pretty stringent on the way it was used on Once Upon a Time, even having John Lasseter get involved with the show (which was really odd). I imagine they might have a similar case happening here.

WaveK89

I can really only see the touchpad being used as an additional/alternative feature since the Xbox One does not have one. Nonetheless, there are many creative ways to use it. I am certainly very excited about seamless areas and the environments of the worlds themselves.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards

they can use the touch pad as the map feature

0701Noctis

This made me think Frozen, since they Disney was pretty stringent on the way it was used on Once Upon a Time, even having John Lasseter get involved with the show (which was really odd). I imagine they might have a similar case happening here.

So maybe this is one of the reasons why KH3 is taking a long time to be made.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards

I think Frozen is pretty much a guarantee in Kingdom Hearts III also that whole worlds cut makes me think we will be seeing The Jungle Book as well which was supposed to be in KH BBS.

Love that he said there will be more worlds than in KH II, I wouldn't bat an eye at 20 + worlds. Especially with how many properties Disney has now, it's easily manageable.

My longshot hope & dream is Sora, Riku, & Kairi all get scenarios with only the key original worlds overlapping between them. That game would be gigantic.

So maybe this is one of the reasons why KH3 is taking a long time to be made.
Not nessasarily, they could focus on original worlds while waiting for the needed approvals.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards

My longshot hope & dream is Sora, Riku, & Kairi all get scenarios with only the key original worlds overlapping between them. That game would be gigantic.

Not nessasarily, they could focus on original worlds while waiting for the needed approvals.

Why would you do this to me. I dig this idea so much that I'll be heartbroken is SE does otherwise ;-;

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards

Why would you do this to me. I dig this idea so much that I'll be heartbroken is SE does otherwise ;-;

Dreams are made to be Dropped (& at quite a Distance at that)

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

In previous games, you'd run to the end of an area and it would go dark before transitioning to the next stage -- now it's become seamless, as you can see in the trailer when Sora jumps off the mountain you've just battled up.

Aw hell, I just know I'll spend like half an hour getting up that mountain then accidentally falling off. And if this is before Flowmotion then I will just die.

Another note, since it's all seamless, going from the Coliseum to Mount Olympus, I wonder what they'll do for checkpoints in case Sora dies. Will auto/manual save be in, or will we just have to suffer?

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net

Aw hell, I just know I'll spend like half an hour getting up that mountain then accidentally falling off. And if this is before Flowmotion then I will just die.

Another note, since it's all seamless, going from the Coliseum to Mount Olympus, I wonder what they'll do for checkpoints in case Sora dies. Will auto/manual save be in, or will we just have to suffer?

*Whisper* Suffer...

No I bet at least enough save points.

Antar

Awards

Please don't let any touchpad ideas be something annoying. (yes that's the only part I care about in that interview)

The touchpad might actually be very useful for KH3. I imagine each swiping direction: up, down, left, right, or a tap can be set as a shortcut for magic/attractions/summons/drives/etc. It would make things much more convenient especially how the touchpad is placed in a good spot for your thumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back