• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Tales of Thread | Tales of Zestiria the X, Berseria PV5, Vesperia Definitive Edition

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
logouvq4n.png

1433592078-580534.jpg

Bandai Namco Entertainment revealed the Tales of Berseria game for the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 at the "Tales of Festival 2015" event in Tokyo on Saturday. The mothership title game will star Rina Satou as the protagonist Velvet. Satou was a surprise guest at the announcement's unveiling.

The game marks the first time in the series history that a game will feature only a main heroine. Mutsumi Inomata is returning to the franchise to design the characters. More characters- both female and male- will be announced at a later time.

Bandai Namco Ent. Reveals Tales of Berseria PS4, PS3 Game - News - Anime News Network

More information is available on ANN.

Feels kind of strange making this thread before making a Tales of Zestiria thread...Guess I should do that once they announce the PS4 version This is a nice change from the typical Male + Female leads in past Tales of games (bar Zestiria which was more like...Sorey and Mikleo + haha Alisha no just kidding its Rose but really there is no traditional female lead)

Are there many current Tales of fans on this forum, anyways?

Kazr10

Bronze Member
Awards
Re: Tales of Berseria - PS3/PS4 - Female Main Character

Are there many current Tales of fans on this forum, anyways?

Till this day I can still never decide whether the KH series or Tales of series is my most favorite. They are the only 2 series I will buy and 100% both Japanese and English versions :biggrin:

Happyfunshineman

Awards

I didn’t even know people here knew about Tales games. It’s one of my favorite series for sure.

Hopefully they’ll fix the camera if they’re going for Zestiria’s combat again. While they’re at that they could add in split screen to so multiplayer doesn’t completely suck as it does in Zestiria.

Also hopefully they'll be able to get Go Shiina to fully compose this one. Motoi Sakuraba's work on Tales is becoming almost unbearable.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Till this day I can still never decide whether the KH series or Tales of series is my most favorite. They are the only 2 series I will buy and 100% both Japanese and English versions :biggrin:

It's nice to see there are people who do enjoy the series here. That is some very serious dedication!

I have very fond memories of playing Symphonia since it was really my first foray into the series.

I didn’t even know people here knew about Tales games. It’s one of my favorite series for sure.

Hopefully they’ll fix the camera if they’re going for Zestiria’s combat again. While they’re at that they could add in split screen to so multiplayer doesn’t completely suck as it does in Zestiria.

Also hopefully they'll be able to get Go Shiina to fully compose this one. Motoi Sakuraba's work on Tales is becoming almost unbearable.

Well, from what it seems the Xillia team was probably working on this game while Zestiria was made by another team so I imagine this game will probably feel more like Xillia in terms of game design and camera mechanics (at least I hope).

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards

I only ever played Abyss 3DS, and I wasn't very fond of it. That being said, I'm sill very much interested in giving the series another try (hey Xilia), but this also has my interest as well.

ChibiHearts249

Trapped in the Source Filmmaker
Awards

I played Tales of Legendia as my first, which is a pretty obscure Tales title if I'm correct. Kind've got a cult following of sorts. I bought the Blu-Ray movie for Tales of Vesperia a while back and really liked it because it didn't just leave you in the dark and it was actually really revealing about Flynn and Yuri back when they were knights together. Rather than a tacked-on title taking place after the games, the movie was backstory, and it was both creepy and beautiful at many points. The only time I've played Tales of Vesperia characters at all was in Project X Zone as both Yuri and Estelle were teamed up and you had Flynn as a battle support you could add. But I've never played Vesperia because it's XBox and I'm a Sony person. The PS3 version has extra content but is only in Japanese.

iDrops

It's a Farce...
Awards

There was a tales thread at one point but that kinda died haha

Honestly don't care if there's a female protagonist or not, as long as the game is good then I'll like it. Just make it more memorable than Xillia, that game was just so bland. I liked it at first but when they got to all that schism crap it just became rubbish. Not as rubbish as some other tales games *coughgracesanddotnwcough* but it's certainly one I will never go back and play again. The sequel was so much better I wish they would have made that the first game instead.

Abyss will forever be my favourite because that game hurts. D:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I only ever played Abyss 3DS, and I wasn't very fond of it. That being said, I'm sill very much interested in giving the series another try (hey Xilia), but this also has my interest as well.

The 3DS version is a poor port...Unless it was the story and Luke that put you off then yeah, I can see how.

You can really jump into the series with any game that catches your eye, but each game is different in how it plays and what kind of story it is telling so it is really hard to recommend that somebody play a certain game when it is really a matter of what game really connects with you the most.

I personally think the best way to experience the series on PS3/PS4 is by going with Symphonia > Abyss (since you already played it, you can skip it) > Graces f > Xillia > Xillia 2 > Zestiria.

Vesperia is one of the best Tales of games in recent years, but the PS3 version never came to the west. There is the 360 version but only if you happen to have that console.

But in the end, just jump in with whatever game catches your eye.

I played Tales of Legendia as my first, which is a pretty obscure Tales title if I'm correct. Kind've got a cult following of sorts. I bought the Blu-Ray movie for Tales of Vesperia a while back and really liked it because it didn't just leave you in the dark and it was actually really revealing about Flynn and Yuri back when they were knights together. Rather than a tacked-on title taking place after the games, the movie was backstory, and it was both creepy and beautiful at many points. The only time I've played Tales of Vesperia characters at all was in Project X Zone as both Yuri and Estelle were teamed up and you had Flynn as a battle support you could add. But I've never played Vesperia because it's XBox and I'm a Sony person. The PS3 version has extra content but is only in Japanese.

Bamco not localizing the PS3 version remains to be one of their biggest mistakes ever. I still wish for that game daily. Only because the 360 version didn't sell well here. They should have realized JRPG + 360 was doomed to fail.

There was a tales thread at one point but that kinda died haha

The last one I found was for Xillia...

Abyss will forever be my favourite because that game hurts. D:

It certainly does...Especially everything leading up to the ending. Ugh, like daggers...

Kazr10

Bronze Member
Awards

Sigh, till this day I still hate that I have to force myself to treat Zestiria as a completely different game to be able to continue fully loving this series.

I don't mind the gameplay and camera problems with Zestiria. It's the storyline issues. There are some serious ones where they completely contradicts what has been told previously in the same game, as well as many plot holes. Really hard for me to immerse into the story when every now and then I'm thinking "seriously developers!?".

For the rest of the series, I'm with the majority that Vesperia is the greatest. It's not a perfect game. I don't know how they do it but they managed to create perfect synergy among all elements in Vesperia, characters, gameplay, story, optional content, etc.

If you have a PS3, Symphonia Unisont is a must. It is even more worth it than the KH remixes because Symphonia has a lot of content. Following that I will recommend Graces F. There is still a debate over Graces vs Xillias but Xillias and Zestiria is really the point where they try so many new stuff that it is hard to have find the Tales nostalgia when playing.

The spinoffs of this series is fun too. Gameplay is completely different, most of them are action or SRPG. Tales of the World Series lets you see many interactions between characters from different series. Twin Brave has a bit of musou element to it as well.

iDrops

It's a Farce...
Awards

I don't understand all the love for Vesperia. Don't get me wrong, it was my first Tales game and I absolutely loved it with the characters being the strong point of the game. However I found the story got worse as the game progressed especially towards the end. It wasn't an incredibly bad storyline, just mediocre with only a few parts that were interesting. Though saying all that, the Tales games since that have been worse. They seemed to have lost their touch a little in recent years.

I still hunger for that PS3 version which the fan made english patch as finally been finished, but I'm not really into importing stuff. I don't really trust those importing websites and such. I might consider getting it at some point though but since most PS3s are past that certain update that lets the patch work it might be a bit pointless. Some people have found using the online translation to be an easy solution to that, but I don't know. It might be strange continually having to look at a phone or tablet to translate something on a tv screen.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards

I haven't loved a Tales game for a while, though I've definitely been enjoying them.

Come on Tales, give us the crazy story revelation ratio you had a while ago.

Happyfunshineman

Awards

I haven't loved a Tales game for a while, though I've definitely been enjoying them.

I feel like this is everyone's opinion on the series as of late, including mine. Personally I feel that Abyss was the last truly great Tales game. I think Luke is one of my favorite protagonists ever. That's not to say that Vesperia is bad. It also had a great cast but the story decided to run down the list of Tales cliches at the end.

Strangely though, I still enjoy almost every Tales game I've played.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I don't understand all the love for Vesperia. Don't get me wrong, it was my first Tales game and I absolutely loved it with the characters being the strong point of the game. However I found the story got worse as the game progressed especially towards the end. It wasn't an incredibly bad storyline, just mediocre with only a few parts that were interesting. Though saying all that, the Tales games since that have been worse. They seemed to have lost their touch a little in recent years.

It is for the reason you state that Vesperia is loved. It wasn't as mediocre like Xillia, Xillia 2, and Zestiria. I suppose Graces f can go in the pile as well since so many people dislike it (I personally like the game but it's definitely not the best). It felt like a very solid game that happened to resonate with fans of the series at the time it was released.

At this point I'm not really certain what would make up a truly good Tales game because I'm not even sure that the developers know what that is anymore.

I still hunger for that PS3 version which the fan made english patch as finally been finished, but I'm not really into importing stuff. I don't really trust those importing websites and such.

They are very reliable. Play Asia and Amiami tend to be very good about fulfilling orders. Play Asia tends to have kind of slow shipping, though, but I've imported dozens of games from these websites over the years and haven't been let down yet. Importing isn't even as expensive as it used to be now that the Japanese Yen isn't very strong right now.

They have to learn how to make solid story in a game before they can do a twist right.

Lonbilly

Awards

The 3DS version is a poor port...Unless it was the story and Luke that put you off then yeah, I can see how.

You can really jump into the series with any game that catches your eye, but each game is different in how it plays and what kind of story it is telling so it is really hard to recommend that somebody play a certain game when it is really a matter of what game really connects with you the most.

I personally think the best way to experience the series on PS3/PS4 is by going with Symphonia > Abyss (since you already played it, you can skip it) > Graces f > Xillia > Xillia 2 > Zestiria.

Vesperia is one of the best Tales of games in recent years, but the PS3 version never came to the west. There is the 360 version but only if you happen to have that console.

But in the end, just jump in with whatever game catches your eye.

It actually was very much the gameplay. The story itself wasn't anything I felt immediately gripped by, but I was enjoying the characters, so that part was enjoyable. I also attribute the fact that I stopped playing it for about a month, and while the story was still in my head, I forgot completely how to play it and just kind of sold it.

Thank you so much for the recs, Spockanort! If Abyss plays any differently on the PS3/PS4 (which one is it exactly for?) then I definitely will consider giving it another shot since I did enjoy the characters, despite only getting maybe tenish hours in. I'll also make Symphonia a priority before trying out Xilia.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

It actually was very much the gameplay. The story itself wasn't anything I felt immediately gripped by, but I was enjoying the characters, so that part was enjoyable. I also attribute the fact that I stopped playing it for about a month, and while the story was still in my head, I forgot completely how to play it and just kind of sold it.

Thank you so much for the recs, Spockanort! If Abyss plays any differently on the PS3/PS4 (which one is it exactly for?) then I definitely will consider giving it another shot since I did enjoy the characters, despite only getting maybe tenish hours in. I'll also make Symphonia a priority before trying out Xilia.

Sorry if I confused you on that. There is no PS3/PS4 version, but the game was originally for the PS2. If you happen to have your PS2 still, it plays much better on it than the 3DS. The game was never really meant to be played on such a small screen.

Lonbilly

Awards

Sorry if I confused you on that. There is no PS3/PS4 version, but the game was originally for the PS2. If you happen to have your PS2 still, it plays much better on it than the 3DS. The game was never really meant to be played on such a small screen.

I actually still have mine. I mostly hang onto it for Persona 4 and FFXII, but I'm also trying to build up my PS2 collection, so I could easily attempt to get Abyss in that version then. Hopefully it isn't hella outrageously priced like some other older PS2 games (Dark Cloud will forever allude me until it gets a port </3).

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

They have copies of it on Amazon in the $30 price range...That's cheaper than the 3DS version right now.

And if you don't like it, you can probably sell it for $40 and turn a profit!

Happyfunshineman

Awards

Man I forgot Amazon was I thing. I got my copy so long ago I had to get it through a friends ebay. Got it for like 20 bucks though.

edit: I just wanted to point out that today, at this years tales of festival, an anime adaptation of Tales of Zestiria was announced. Hopefully there will be some story edits. Ufotable's doing it though so I'll still watch it.

iDrops

It's a Farce...
Awards

Was the port of Abyss really that bad? It's the only version to be released in my country so it's all I had but I never really had any problems with it. From what I've heard the PS2 version has incredibly long load times and is glitchy.

I miss the anime they used to make, I will definitely be watching the Zestiria anime regardless of the story.

Back