• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

TV ► Supergirl

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

jnh71193

Awards
The new Supergirl show on CBS.

[video=youtube;Lm46-envrHo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm46-envrHo[/video]

(Also the pilot has been leaked online.)

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
Like I said in the DC Nation thread, excited for this show. Reminds me of early Buffy, which I can dig. I also like that it has the actual atmosphere of a Superman/Supergirl story instead of trying to emulate Dark Knight (hey Man of Steel).

Don't mind me just looking for the pilot.

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards
I folded and watched the pilot.

It wasn't bad.

The pacing was generally all over the place and didn't give any time to breathe. I felt with a bit more structure it would have actually been a solid pilot.

I wasn't a big fan of Jimmy when I saw the trailer but I really liked him in the end. I'm not sure if I'll enjoy the love interest role he's got, but as Superman's pal. He's great.

Not a fan of her friend.

Kara herself though was perfect. A lot of the heroic actions in the pilot were great.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Just watched the pilot today. The pacing is really bad. The fast moments were too fast and the slow moments were too slow. The acting is okay, but it gets kind of hammy at times and not in the good way. It has potential, but it needs to fix a lot of its issues before it can be good.

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards
They really blew open a lot of potential plot points really early on.

I know things like secret identities are old hat. But does everyone have to know that Kara is Supergirl in the first episode?

Certain points like Kryptonite, I will kind of let them have as at this point in Kara's career, Superman has already been about for like a decade.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Did the pilot air on television? I may of missed it and wanted to watch it! ;u; *doesn't care if pacing is bad.*

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
No, it leaked six months in advance online (people are guessing it might be a viral marketing ploy). Did you want to see it?

Sure, if you didn't mind. C: Otherwise, I'm okay until waiting until fall. I just thought I missed the premiere of it somehow.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
I know things like secret identities are old hat. But does everyone have to know that Kara is Supergirl in the first episode?

I thought it was obvious that nobody knows outside of her family, Jimmy, that friend dood (name escapes me), and the DEO.

*doesn't care if pacing is bad.*

lol it takes more than bad pacing to make something not worth watching

Honestly, outside of a few moments, it's mostly the type of aaiiight that leans towards good. Melissa Benoist is great, tho. I'm optimistic it'll improve now that they've practically skimmed over her origin and the set up for the season.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
Aside from Cat Grant that is the entire main cast.

In one episode.

Ah, well, yep lol. I hadn't realized that was the whole cast. I also kind of thought you meant the world.

You know, thinking on it, I'm probably a minority -- if the reactions on Flash are anything to go -- but I do tend to dig some of the drama and conflicts that arise from secret identities. Sometimes.

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
I liked it. My girlfriend loved it. Benoist is fiiiiiine.

Pilot episodes are always weird because they have to set up the entire series premise in 40 minutes. It's Berlanti and Kreisberg again so I'm down, and you guys know I love me my House of El.

also, Supergirl saves more people in the first 15 minutes of the pilot than Superman does in the entirety of Man of Steel.

edit - Kara's friendzone dude is Winslow "Winn" Schott. aka Toyman.

Last edited:

KeyofEvil'sBane

Space Duck
Termina, wondering why everyone looks familiiar
I liked it. My girlfriend loved it. Benoist is fiiiiiine.

Pilot episodes are always weird because they have to set up the entire series premise in 40 minutes. It's Berlanti and Kreisberg again so I'm down, and you guys know I love me my House of El.

also, Supergirl saves more people in the first 15 minutes of the pilot than Superman does in the entirety of Man of Steel.

I get that you're making a joke, but it's poorly executed. One of the first things Superman does in the movie is save a bunch of people from a collapsing oil rig.

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
I get that you're making a joke, but it's poorly executed. One of the first things Superman does in the movie is save a bunch of people from a collapsing oil rig.

He saves enough people to fit in a helicopter. Supergirl saves an international flight. It's more people.

Her recklessness also didn't cause the deaths of thousands of people.

KeyofEvil'sBane

Space Duck
Termina, wondering why everyone looks familiiar
He saves enough people to fit in a helicopter. Supergirl saves an international flight. It's more people.

Her recklessness also didn't cause the deaths of thousands of people.

He also saved literally every single human on the planet. And any deaths resulting from his fight with Zod, I would attribute to Zod's rage, not Superman's recklessness. This is probably not the place for discussing this though

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards

Didn't realize he was Toyman. I always thought he was too campy of a villain to translate into a live action adaptation, but I can see this interpretation working out pretty well.

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
He also saved literally every single human on the planet. And any deaths resulting from his fight with Zod, I would attribute to Zod's rage, not Superman's recklessness. This is probably not the place for discussing this though
[video=youtube;Tj0Du6dVQP4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj0Du6dVQP4[/video]

Didn't realize he was Toyman. I always thought he was too campy of a villain to translate into a live action adaptation, but I can see this interpretation working out pretty well.
Read Lex Luthor: Man of Steel.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
Just finished watching the pilot. I had no doubt in my mind that Melissa Benoist could carry a show by herself, and she's probably my favorite thing about the pilot so far.

That being said, things kind of happened really fast in the pilot, almost to the point were it felt like just as I got used to a scene, it suddenly changed and was constantly throwing information or character "development" at me at a very rapid pace.

Not a huge fan of Jeremy Jordan's character, which is a shame because I really like him and his acting. That being said, maybe it's just because his character comes off very much as the friendzone guy (and hopefully not the one who if he persists and obsesses over the girl long enough gets to end up with her) and overall just kind of douchey.

The effects were pretty well done for a TV show, especially one that doesn't have a huge budget like HBO/FX/Showtime, and the action sequences were nice.

Other than that, majority of the characters felt kind of flat/boring, but that's to be expected from a pilot, since most shows don't usually have amazing pilots (unless you're Agent Carter, that is). That being said, I feel like they got rid of some of the annoying aspects that could have persisted later in the show (such as the "will Kara ever tell anyone here secret?") or the sibling-rivalry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back