• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What's next? YOU DECIDE.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Which roleplay(s) would you be willing to join?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
Now that my academic year has finally drawn to a close, I can afford to be more active around here. I'm laying the groundwork to begin in OmniChaos' R.E.M., and he and I will be debuting Nightfall — the main story and roleplay, not just a spin-off within the universe — later this summer.

However, I would be remiss if I didn't begin work on something of my own!
The question, then, is what that's going to be.

As always, I'd rather follow the response of the RP section regulars than launch into a new roleplay willy-nilly. I suppose you all know the drill...

OPTION 1 - Continuing "The Collected Works of Spurius: The Last Queen"http://forums.khinsider.com/original-roleplays/196823-last-queen-works-spurius-book-i.html

We've made some excellent progress with this roleplay — and in such an unconventional roleplay, simply building a solid body of lore and characters is itself progress. Moreover, "The Last Queen" sits at the perfect place for a new, fresh chapter to begin. This could go much further! However, I must also acknowledge that momentum did gradually die out before the end of this first chapter. It may very well be the case that "The Last Queen" no longer excites the imaginations of those involved, and I'd hate to force life into a project that died naturally.​

OPTION 2 - Another Volume from "The Collected Works of Spurius"

I'll refer you all to this earlier thread, wherein I describe the standing plots for Spurius. For the purposes of this thread, I'll also give two short and wholly inadequate summaries here: Undertown Rising takes place in a post-apocalyptic stronghold city, with the aesthetic and tone of Charles Dickens' London or Cloisterham, in which a series of unsettling murders turns the city's eyes to whatever evil inhabits its sprawling underground. Jim Barnham's Last Will is a globetrotting treasure hunt in the 1930s, in the same vein as the Indiana Jones films and the pulp adventure novels that inspired them; create a member of the wealthy and unscrupulous Barnham family, and seek Jim Barnham's exotic fortune!​

OPTION 3 - "Our Wandering Through," a roleplay about reincarnation

The premise of this roleplay is inspired heavily by ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, and by the film/novel Cloud Atlas. In a nameless age, seven individuals came into heated conflict. As a result of their fateful meeting, blood was spilled in the temple of Formless Olum, the god better known as Death. A sacrifice was spoiled — and as punishment for this sacrilege, the seven offenders were punished to relive their horrid conflict time and time again. Their souls would continually be reborn into the world, drawn to one another by fate and forgotten allegiances. The Sacrifice who was lost; the high priest who was her Keeper, the Youth who sought to free her, and the hateful Warrior who killed her; the elder Guardian of the peace, the selfish Ruler of the realm, and the irredeemable Seeker of truth. Until these souls can resolve their ancient dispute, they will never know rest.

Essentially, each roleplayer will choose one of these "souls" or archetypes, and together we'll play out a series of short scenarios between them. The setting of each will be different, as will the specific circumstances — but the relationships of these characters to one another will remain largely the same. Here's a very simple example of what I mean, using different archetypes: A Medieval king orders his manservant to murder his queen; a wealthy oil tycoon bribes his secretary to murder his nephew; a space frigate captain orders the ship's robot to murder his fellow officer.

Of course, in this roleplay, each scenario will affect subsequent scenarios. Our collective goal is to develop these characters over several lifetimes and identities, until something like a conclusion is met. Each "lifetime" will be represented only by a few scenes; when the action is completed, a new lifetime begins.​

OPTION 4 - A Bloodborne RP

Though it branches into vast and confusing ideas, the lore of Bloodborne has a relatively easy entry point, and it can very easily accommodate stories outside the story of the main game. I'd love to conduct a canon or AU Bloodborne roleplay with all of you; I think that this community could bring some very interesting ideas to this setting. If you enjoy Gothic horror, cosmic Lovecraftian horror, dark fantasy, dream psychology, and expansive worldbuilding (in which you'll partake!), you should be in for a treat. Here's a spoiler-free synopsis of the game for those who haven't played:

The city of Yharnam and the surrounding country are the source of blood ministration — a broad spectrum of quasi-magical medical cures, all having to do with special forms of blood. Inherent to this blood and this city is a curse. When the Moon draws close, the Hunt begins; an unnaturally long night falls, and those who imbibe in the blood are susceptible to beastly transformations. Hunters set out to cleanse the city streets, cutting down the beasts who menace those who are still human. Some Hunters join the Hunt by choice; some follow the Healing Church; others are chosen by forces unseen. Some hunt prey that is greater than mere beasts. But until the long night is over, they all must hunt their respective quarries, lest Yharnam be lost to the encroaching nightmare.​

I have a few more ideas for roleplays, but none of them is nearly as developed as any of these. Let me know what you think of these four (or five, I suppose)! I've allowed for multiple selections in this poll, so that you can voice your support for any option that appeals to you.

Last edited:

Chromatic

Become
Awards
Can't say no to anything in the vein of Cloud Atlas; I've actually been meaning to add the novel to my library, but I have seen the film. Either way, a brilliant piece, and I've been pondering on an RP like that myself.

Admittedly, I haven't been on tap much with the goings on in Last Queen, but anything to be in on an Ordeith project.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
I am always in the mood for a Spurius roleplay; I only didn't vote for the Last Queen because I planned on posting in the roleplay itself, but it looks like Professor Ven beat me to it (and apparently KitKat is waiting in the wings).

"Our Wandering Through" sounds fun, though I'm curious--is the roleplay restricted to seven roles for seven players, and (if so) do those seven players endlessly reprise the same roles, or is there some sort of character/player musical chairs?

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
Can't say no to anything in the vein of Cloud Atlas; I've actually been meaning to add the novel to my library, but I have seen the film. Either way, a brilliant piece, and I've been pondering on an RP like that myself.
I'm in much the same boat as you. Hopefully I can get around to reading the novel this summer!

ICO and Shadow of the Colossus deal with themes of karma and inherited guilt, and I've wanted for a long time to write a roleplay about these themes — but Team Ico's games convey these ideas in a very indirect way, not suited for a roleplay. Then I remembered Cloud Atlas, and how tangibly each time frame affected the others. I think that if we combine these texts in just the right ways, something special could result.

Admittedly, I haven't been on tap much with the goings on in Last Queen, but anything to be in on an Ordeith project.
Well, the best thing about the "Spurius" roleplays is that their loose continuity gives you a chance to jump right in — as evidenced by the fact that we've just had a new post after months, now with two more on the way. We'd be glad to have you, Chromatic!

I am always in the mood for a Spurius roleplay; I only didn't vote for the Last Queen because I planned on posting in the roleplay itself, but it looks like Professor Ven beat me to it (and apparently KitKat is waiting in the wings).
You folks continue to impress me. Many thanks!

"Our Wandering Through" sounds fun, though I'm curious--is the roleplay restricted to seven roles for seven players, and (if so) do those seven players endlessly reprise the same roles, or is there some sort of character/player musical chairs?

The roleplay will be restricted to seven roles, though I'm sure it will be possible for new roleplayers to take over for any who can no longer continue. At the moment, I'm caught between a static approach and a "musical chairs" approach. I suppose I'll go with whichever the cast prefers.

There definitely will a rotational element to control over world events and setting. Each cycle will be led by a single member of the cast, who will decide the setting and the premise. That way, everybody can have their tastes be represented.

Last edited:

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
Well, since it's pretty much already been decided on for The Last Queen to continue (expect something from me soon, possibly Pear Ape-related), I'll say "Our Wandering Through" piques my interest the most. I'm already eyeing the Selfish Ruler.

I'd suggest it. Not only is it easy paced, it's also extremely open, and really allows for the creative juices to flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back