• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Who're your favorite playable Kingdom Hearts Characters?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

WILDMUSTANGX

Many people may not realize this, but there have been a total of 22 playable characters in the Kingdom Hearts series so far! This includes Sora, Riku, Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Ventus, Terra, Aqua, Roxas, Xion and all of Organization XIII! Many of these characters were made playable in the mission mode in the original game version of 358/2 Days, on Nintendo DS. In fact, the only 3 characters that couldn't be unlocked and played in that game were Ven, Terra and Aqua. But that's because 358/2 Days came out before Birth By Sleep, so those 3 characters hadn't even been introduced yet. Anyway, what I'd like to hear from you is what're your top 5 (or maybe top 10, if you prefer) playable Kingdom Hearts Characters and why?

For me, my top 5 would probably be Sora, Riku, Aqua, Saix and Marluxia. Why, you ask? Well the series's main protagonist and you play as him in most of the games. Aside from being a really great, lovable guy, he's pretty much the most powerful and versatile key-blade wielder and the "drive forms" that he uses in Kingdom Hearts 2 are so awesome and epic!

At first, we only got to play as Riku very briefly, during the final battle in KH2, but in Dream Drop Distance, he was made just as playable as Sora. More so even, since he had more final bosses to contend with, towards the end of the game. He had some fun and interesting abilities that set him apart from Sora, like teleporting short distances and retaliating after taking a hit, by blasting a ball of dark energy at the enemy who attacked him.

Of the 3 main characters in BBS, I'd have to say that Aqua is probably my favorite. She's the first truly unique playable female protagonist (Xion simply mirrored Roxas's abilities) and she has some really awesome spells and "command styles" at her disposal, that Ven and Terra don't have access to. She also has the best defense, with her spherical barrier block and she has the longest play time, since you play as her in the final chapter.

Now you're probably wondering why I chose Saix and Marluxia over Axel. It's not because I like them more as characters. I definitely have more love for Axel. But I tried out all the Organization members in 358/2 Days and they both seemed to have the best play styles. They both have powerful weapons, with a long reach. Saix's attacks are quick and aggressive, while Marluxia delivers wide, sweeping attacks with his scythe. Axel's play style is pretty good and balanced, but he can't dish out punishment like Saix and Marluxia can.

Well, that's it for me. Now I want to hear your opinions!

BEASTENDER

Sora is my favorite. His dual wielding ability paired with interesting action commands, flashy, long combos, and summonings made him my favorite Video Game character overtime, and is definitely my favorite person to play as in the KH series (Now he just needs command styles paired with his dual wielding! or just, command styles at all....). Riku from Dream Drop Distance is up second. I liked using vanish, shadow roll, and his command styles. And then there's Ventus. My kind of fighter. Fast paced and heavy on the flashy.

Aqua gets an honorable mention, solely for her Ghost Drive command stlye. Also thunder cartwheels is a thing lol. I liked playing as Terra, but his campaign proved to be the most difficult for me. I like power characters too, but speed, flash, and style are always number one in my book. And Sora, Riku, and Ventus have that in spades :D

I also did remember that the Organization was once fully playable, and I want them to playable again in KH3 in multiplayer modes. Like Versus matches, a Mirage Arena like setting, or special co-op missions (non canon or post game). I want them along with all the other known keyblade wielders, including Mickey, Kairi, and Axel, to be playable in multiplayer.

Also, thank you for recognizing Spirit Stallion of the Cimarron....a forgotten movie.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
I really wish I can like Roxas but he's so slow in his movement :/.

Guess my favorite is Ven due to the combo of speed and his attack styles.

The Dark Mamba

Awards
Aqua for me. She's got good speed, I love her advanced magic commands and you just can't go wrong with Bladecharge and Ghost Drive. I just finished her story a couple of hours ago.

Last edited:

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
Hmmm.... Actually, none of their fighting styles satisfy me 100%, as I would like a style that is fast, aggressive, precise and strong, using a long Keyblade (not short, not medium). Oh, and two details: a battle stance and battle quotes that I like. The right stance and battle quotes make me feel AWESOME while playing
The current playable characters have a bit of this battle style's traits here and there..
  • My no#1 is Riku, with the playable characters we have so far. Chain of Memories with Reverse Rebirth changed my opinion about him, and now I appreciate him from the bottom of my heart. He uses a long Keyblade, those powerful slash movements, still feels precise enough, but to me he's still a liiiitle bit slow. He sure has awesome battle quotes to me, forceful growls before attacking, "You're done!", "No way!", "No...not yet..." ahhhh, I love hearing them! and his stance is also my favourite of all stances, I'd use a stance like that if I were to travel to the KH universe, perhaps combined with the stance of Aqua.
  • No#2, Roxas. *Phil's voice* Let me tell you 2 words: Skilled. And. Versatile. His style adapts to different Keyblade Gears, different uses and different missions. You plan how you'll fight as Roxas before starting a mission, because certain missions need a different approach of the battle. His style varies so much that I never get bored. Long Keyblades, short Keyblades, longer combo oriented, Strength-oriented, Magic-oriented, aerial attacks oriented, wide range oriented, or simply "formidable, with exceptional abilities" (I adore Pandora's Gear). Loveable diversity. Roxas is simply a well-trained, skilled Keyblade wielder. Pure talent and different than Sora, because Roxas trained under the Organization's pressure.
  • No#3, Aqua. Beautiful stance! Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Her movements are elegant yet strong, she gives me a feeling of dancing ballet on a water current, as strange as it may sound. I also like her battle quotes, and the fact that she's not limited to short/medium Keyblades. I'm probably one of few people that dislike Ghost Drive xD It's simply chaotic when you're playing Level 1, when every hit's accuracy matters, and you're also vulnerable when attacking, yet you can't really stop a combo once you start teleporting around.
  • Honorable mention #1: Saix. With the third Ability Unit on Zero Gear, he has an ability I adore: Brick Wall. Continue attacking even while taking damage. Simply yes. I see myself having this ability in real life... Also, he has long reach and a powerful hit. A very powerful hit. Fighting him in Days is amazing, sometimes you can't even escape his berserk moves, he just hits you again and again blinded in aggressiveness, and this is lovely for me to see, haha~ But there's a disadvantage, you lose precision/accuracy of your attacks and sometimes a combo ends up hitting the ground, which isn't your enemy.
  • Honorable mention #2: Ventus. His speed. Gosh, I love it. So. Much. He also has strong hits, because of him wielding his Keyblade backwards, another good point! However, this makes him somehow rigid in his attacks... I like when it when attack flow one after another in the right pace, but Ven gives me the feel of button-mashing even if I'm not button-mashing. Another thing that I dislike, naturally, is the fact that he uses short Keyblades. Just personal taste, of course. But it's not like I'm too fond of Ventus, anyway...
  • Honorable mention #3: King Mickey. Range Extender, good wide finishing hit of a combo, has the speed, is easy to move around. I loved playing as him in Mission Mode because of the power and precision this tiny creature has!

I think that Sora has a special place in every KH fan's heart. It's entertaining to play as Sora, he's a breeze of fresh air in the current dark serious world of RPGs, an optimist that gives us strength and the feeling of security, contentment, faith in our inner power... There's no end to my admiration for our Hero of Light.

I secretly hope that a MIRACLE will happen and that someday, in this century, some kind of new version of Days' Mission Mode will be included or released in/as a KH game, and this one shall include all Keyblade wielders we know. I'd LOVE to play as Vanitas at least once in my entire lifetime, but nah... this is just wishful thinking, there's nothing to be optimistic about with this idea. Most surely won't happen, ever...

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
In terms of fun gameplay I'd say on first place it is a three-way tie between Riku, Aqua and Ventus.

Riku is just the near-perfect all-rounder with evenly matched offense and defense.
Aqua is just so damn fun to use to blast everything apart left and right with her powerful magic (and she does it all with a certain amount of grace included <3)
Ventus is quick and agile, his backhanded fighting style also giving a more unique note to his combo- and acrobatics-oriented battle style.

Second place would be dual-wield Roxas, mainly because he's a destructive maelstrom when going all out with the two blades in tandem. Considering how much Roxas was playable so far, we got far too few opportunites to actually use his dual-wielding.

Third place goes to Sora himself, as he's arguably the most versatile contender with the biggest palette of abilities, which may also come solely from the fact he's the character we get to control the most. Except Sora, only Riku got to be playable in more than one game so far (as you cannot really count Roxas' short tenure in KH 2).

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Tie between Riku and Aqua for me. I've never been a Magic player until BBS. With Aqua I could destroy crowds of Unversed way quicker than my Terra and Ventus. Riku became a recent favorite with DDD. When the Drop mechanic was temporarily removed in the TWTNW, I took advantage of it and leveled him all the way up to lvl 82 on my Critical File.

Their Guard Barriers/Counters play a huge role in my play style. I absolutely love Riku's and Aqua's command set and styles.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
Sora's my favorite, most definitely. I just have a really nice connection with him, since I've spent so long with him, and I can play him better than anyone else. It became really obvious for me in KHII, where I'm somehow less good at playing Roxas, Riku, or Mickey there.

Then probably Aqua? IDK. I just really loved playing her in BbS. Her style takes some getting used to, it but when you do, it's awesome and unique. Plus, BbS' controls and abilities are just made of all kinds of win. So Ven and Terra are good for that matter, too.

I do like Roxas (and Xion in multiplayer mode, too). I especially enjoy playing Roxas in KHII, though. Days was a bit clunky imo... Even if dual-wielding Roxas was awesome.

I should probably point out that I have a thing for playing the female characters, seeing as how we so rarely get to in this series, and since I'm a girl, and so therefore it's just natural for me to want to play one if I can (which is totally why I played BbS in the order AVT, and I actually think it works better that way, oddly enough).

Riku was pretty cool in DDD, but for some reason, he got killed by the normal Dream Eaters way too easily for me, but would do okay with bosses. Sora I had the exact opposite problem with in that game. He handled all the Nightmares really well, but would die at all the bosses. LOL.

And I did like some of Riku's abilities in Re:CoM. Dueling was especially nice, and I took advantage of that ability way too often, me thinks.

I feel like I should choose another person from Days, from the multiplayer mode, but my memory's kind of hazy about them. tbh. (I mostly played Roxas and Xion in it). I remember Xemnas being really slow, but that's about it. LOL. If only I'd unlocked Donald and Goofy in Days, so I could speak about them...

Wait: I just thought of the obvious answer to all of this! Heartless Sora! Shadow Sora wins everything! (Kidding.)

Either that, or this Nami hack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKDgAhWm1as does (kidding again). :D (But in all seriousness, I still wish that she were actually somehow playable in 358/2 Days...)

WILDMUSTANGX

Sora is my favorite. His dual wielding ability paired with interesting action commands, flashy, long combos, and summonings made him my favorite Video Game character overtime, and is definitely my favorite person to play as in the KH series (Now he just needs command styles paired with his dual wielding! or just, command styles at all....). Riku from Dream Drop Distance is up second. I liked using vanish, shadow roll, and his command styles. And then there's Ventus. My kind of fighter. Fast paced and heavy on the flashy.

Aqua gets an honorable mention, solely for her Ghost Drive command stlye. Also thunder cartwheels is a thing lol. I liked playing as Terra, but his campaign proved to be the most difficult for me. I like power characters too, but speed, flash, and style are always number one in my book. And Sora, Riku, and Ventus have that in spades :D

I also did remember that the Organization was once fully playable, and I want them to playable again in KH3 in multiplayer modes. Like Versus matches, a Mirage Arena like setting, or special co-op missions (non canon or post game). I want them along with all the other known keyblade wielders, including Mickey, Kairi, and Axel, to be playable in multiplayer.

Also, thank you for recognizing Spirit Stallion of the Cimarron....a forgotten movie.

Yes, I really love Sora's Drive Forms and all the command styles in BBS and it would be cool if they could be combined somehow. You know what could be cool for KH3? Elemental drive forms! I'm talkin a fire form, that dishes out a bunch of powerful fire based attacks and blizzard and thunder forms that do the same for their respective elements. These forms would feature a blend of a lot of elemental commands and abilities from BBS. Lastly, a force form (Semi Star Wars Reference). This form would be built around abilities and spells like gravity, magnet, deflect/barrier and barrier surge. It could even grant Sora the ability to teleport, kinda like how Aqua does in her ghost drive command style.

And I appreciate that you're a fellow Spirit fan. It's my all time favorite movie, as a lover of horses and animation and a wild horse advocate. It does upset me a bit that the movie never got a sequel, or even an anniversary blue ray release and it never gets featured on TV, or Netflix!

BEASTENDER

Yes, I really love Sora's Drive Forms and all the command styles in BBS and it would be cool if they could be combined somehow. You know what could be cool for KH3? Elemental drive forms! I'm talkin a fire form, that dishes out a bunch of powerful fire based attacks and blizzard and thunder forms that do the same for their respective elements. These forms would feature a blend of a lot of elemental commands and abilities from BBS. Lastly, a force form (Semi Star Wars Reference). This form would be built around abilities and spells like gravity, magnet, deflect/barrier and barrier surge. It could even grant Sora the ability to teleport, kinda like how Aqua does in her ghost drive command style.

And I appreciate that you're a fellow Spirit fan. It's my all time favorite movie, as a lover of horses and animation and a wild horse advocate. It does upset me a bit that the movie never got a sequel, or even an anniversary blue ray release and it never gets featured on TV, or Netflix!

That's EXACTLY what I've been hoping for. It seems that every keyblade master can transform their keyblade to an extent, and make use of command styles. So what would make Sora different? Command Styles that utilize 2+ keyblades!! In a fire transformation, the command deck could turn into form specific deck commands (Like something above mega flare or something), that also level up as the form levels up! Just like how every drive form in KH2 had exclusive abilities, actions, and techniques. And of course, all of the base combo's would change to elemental dual wielding combos. That paired with Keyblade Transformations, Reaction Commands, Summons, Attraction Flow and Flowmotion, Deck Commands/Magic, Beautiful keyblade combos, Field Abilities like Glide, these massive air battles without touching the ground Nomura has been talking about, FF/Square Enix and Disney partners, and all the other stuff that has yet to be revealed would make for the most beautiful combat system I could imagine lol

I sure hope they won't make Sora the only wielder who can't make use of command styles. That would break my heart, especially since Riku and TAV can. Even if a Dual Wielding mechanic doesn't return for some reason, I'm positive at least one keyblade transformation will split into two or more. And hopefully, there will be some sort of system that incorporates command styles in 3. In fact, I can't see why they would have brought it back in DDD with Riku just to completely drop it!

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
sora terra and riku. also dual-wielding roxas

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
Riku was pretty cool in DDD, but for some reason, he got killed by the normal Dream Eaters way too easily for me, but would do okay with bosses. Sora I had the exact opposite problem with in that game. He handled all the Nightmares really well, but would die at all the bosses. LOL.

Exactly this happened during my play, too. Especially the first worlds had very aggressive bosses for Sora. VERY aggressive, just thinking about Sora's side of Hockomonkey, Wargoyle, Rinzler (HOLY KEYBLADE the Rinzler fight was SO EPIC IN 3D, SO FREAKING EPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCC)... Riku had the less aggressive versions and easier bosses in the beginning of the game

Wait: I just thought of the obvious answer to all of this! Heartless Sora! Shadow Sora wins everything! (Kidding.)

Either that, or this Nami hack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKDgAhWm1as does (kidding again). :D (But in all seriousness, I still wish that she were actually somehow playable in 358/2 Days...)

Bwahahaha~ xD Namine sure knows how to fight.

WILDMUSTANGX

That's EXACTLY what I've been hoping for. It seems that every keyblade master can transform their keyblade to an extent, and make use of command styles. So what would make Sora different? Command Styles that utilize 2+ keyblades!! In a fire transformation, the command deck could turn into form specific deck commands (Like something above mega flare or something), that also level up as the form levels up! Just like how every drive form in KH2 had exclusive abilities, actions, and techniques. And of course, all of the base combo's would change to elemental dual wielding combos. That paired with Keyblade Transformations, Reaction Commands, Summons, Attraction Flow and Flowmotion, Deck Commands/Magic, Beautiful keyblade combos, Field Abilities like Glide, these massive air battles without touching the ground Nomura has been talking about, FF/Square Enix and Disney partners, and all the other stuff that has yet to be revealed would make for the most beautiful combat system I could imagine lol

I sure hope they won't make Sora the only wielder who can't make use of command styles. That would break my heart, especially since Riku and TAV can. Even if a Dual Wielding mechanic doesn't return for some reason, I'm positive at least one keyblade transformation will split into two or more. And hopefully, there will be some sort of system that incorporates command styles in 3. In fact, I can't see why they would have brought it back in DDD with Riku just to completely drop it!

Another thing I wanted to address from your previous post was when you said you wanted a multiplayer mode, where we could play as different characters, including the members of Organization XIII. While I think this is a cool idea, you know what would be even better? A Kingdom Hearts MMORPG that lets you create your own unique characters with different classes/fighting styles, modeled not just after key-blade wielders, but also after Donald Duck, Goofy and all of Organization XIII. How awesome would that be?! An MMO that looks, feels and plays just like a major Kingdom Hearts title, but lets you wield other weapons, besides just key-blades! And if you want to stick with key-blade wielding, you'd have several different fighting stances/styles to choose from, modeled after Sora/Roxas, Riku, Ventus, Terra and Aqua (and maybe Kairi too, if she ever becomes playable).

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Mickey. That mouse can wreck some shit up. Why can't we ever get whole Mickey KH game?

WILDMUSTANGX

Remember, people; you're supposed to be discussing your top 5-10 playable Kingdom Hearts characters, out of the 22 there are! Not just your favorite character!

My favourite character is SORA! He was the first character that made me cry and he's great!!!

And your other top 4-9 playable characters are?

Mickey. That mouse can wreck some shit up. Why can't we ever get whole Mickey KH game?

And your other top 4-9 playable characters are?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Remember, people; you're supposed to be discussing your top 5-10 playable Kingdom Hearts characters, out of the 22 there are! Not just your favorite character!

dude. the thread title is who our favorite playable characters are, just because we didn't name enough doesn't mean you have to triple post. there are no rules and many people (like myself) find many of the characters throwaway. please consider most of them are playable only in days, which many consider a throwaway game.

WILDMUSTANGX

dude. the thread title is who our favorite playable characters are, just because we didn't name enough doesn't mean you have to triple post. there are no rules and many people (like myself) find many of the characters throwaway. please consider most of them are playable only in days, which many consider a throwaway game.

Dude, speak for yourself. Not everyone thinks it's a throwaway game. You're just saying that, because people are already forgetting that the original game even existed, thanks to the HD cinematic reel on the 1.5 Remix. And that's a bit of a shame, because the game did have some good, innovative gameplay features. It would've been nice to get an HD remake. Now Chain of Memories and Recoded, those are throwaway games! And I'm sorry for pestering, but I did specify in the initial post that this was supposed to be about people's top 5, or top 10 playable characters. I guess it doesn't matter that much though.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
you misunderstand me. while many characters are throwaway, i greatly enjoyed days. all i said is many characters aren't that great, you were berating posters for not naming enough characters or being specific while many people don't have five PCs they like playing as.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back