• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Official Voice Actor Discussion Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Re: The Official VA Discussion Thread - What VAs do you want to see return for KH3?

I have high hopes for Jason and Willa. Willa's new scenes in Final Mix were outstanding.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
Re: The Official VA Discussion Thread - What VAs do you want to see return for KH3?

In respect of Mr. Nimoy, I know there's doubt about this but it'd be cool if Billy Zane returns and gets to be Master Xehanort although we don't know If he could sound like an old man.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards

In respect of Mr. Nimoy, I know there's doubt about this but it'd be cool if Billy Zane returns and gets to be Master Xehanort although we don't know If he could sound like an old man.

That'd just irritate everybody. If Billy Zane returns, he sure as hell ought to be Ansem.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards

no. and all this bullshit about replacing the actors already, they are series staples and when you think of the characters, they are who you imagine.

i'd rather have nomura retcon baldinort somehow, i realize we all thought the same thing when wayne alwine passed or when billy zane was booted, but the show went on. mickey mouse was always going to have a voice and ansem had one role before the actor was changed and these two actors who recently died are voices we've grown up with.

maybe i'm just being sentimental but they would have to be some phenomenal actors that can do the characters justice and honor the legacy for them to be replaced.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards

I think the worst thing was playing KH2, and hearing Ansem's quotes in the flashback sequence replaced by Epcar. It was the worst possible way to introduce Epcar.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards

I think the worst thing was playing KH2, and hearing Ansem's quotes in the flashback sequence replaced by Epcar. It was the worst possible way to introduce Epcar.

i totally agree. it was especially likened to scratching on a chalkboard when apprentice xehanort was introduced. that naive nasally voice did not fit in well with his usual "kingdom hearts is light!" demeanor.

SephirothZ

I dont know if it has already been mentioned, but playing BBS in 2.5 Remix made me think of it. Aqua's voice actor is pretty iffy throughout the game. Hopefully the VA either gets better or they get a new one for KH3.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards

I dont know if it has already been mentioned, but playing BBS in 2.5 Remix made me think of it. Aqua's voice actor is pretty iffy throughout the game. Hopefully the VA either gets better or they get a new one for KH3.

As I said earlier, she did great with the new scenes for Final Mix and if she came back for that I'm sure she'll be back for III

ultima-demi

(>..)>
Awards

Yeah i was about to say that,she sounded fine in the secret episode.

I actually thought someone else was voicing her at first.

WhinyAcademic

Awards

Chris Diamantopoulos will not replace Mickey in KHIII. Diamantopoulos was hired solely for that series and nothing else. I'm not sure the reasoning why, but that's how it is from my understanding.

Well can you clarify it, and find a source or something?

Is it just me, or does David Gallagher sound more 'alive', and energetic in KH1, KH2, and Re:COM than in DDD and the new Re:Coded movie? And this isn't just a matter of 'his character is more mature now'. There are some awfully stale reads from him in DDD.

The dialogue has been getting pretty awkward and bland in places for a while now, and the new re:Coded movie is the absolute worst offender. 3D wasn't quite as bad, but the dialogue and diction just sucks. Not even the best actor can save a terrible script. Harrison Ford once told George Lucas (during production of the original SW trilogy) that "You can write this shit, but you can't say it!" Ford and Gallagher are good actors, but sometimes you just can't work with it and so your performance suffers.

I'll restate my opinion for MX - since both his actors tragically passed, just feature an early scene of MX aging himself down to an adult age and form, like in his 30's or 40's. And he does it without saying a word, and he doesn't speak until he's done. And just have Richard Epcar voice him. Or, and this is a funny idea, have Zachary Quinto voice the aged down MX. If Nimoy approved him to take over Spock, he would approve him to play a younger him in KH.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

If Xehanort could just age himself down, then why the fuck has he been transferring his heart to new vessels to ensure he would live to see a new Keyblade War.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

If Xehanort could just age himself down, then why the diddly has he been transferring his heart to new vessels to ensure he would live to see a new Keyblade War.

These things could be combined to make it work in-story though by just having Xehanort choose one of his younger vessels as a main host to act from.
Sure, this would mean that one more vessel would be needed to replace "old" MX, but the need to have old MX recast in terms of voice would be prevented.
Even for the finale, Xehanort could go from his chosen "main host" vessel straight to "god-form"/"World-of-chaos"/"One-Winged-Angel" or whatever his final battle form is slated to be without ever reverting to the old MX-form again.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

These things could be combined to make it work in-story though by just having Xehanort choose one of his younger vessels as a main host to act from.
Sure, this would mean that one more vessel would be needed to replace "old" MX, but the need to have old MX recast in terms of voice would be prevented.
And then you're presented with needing TWO new characters to join the Xehanort squad, as well as hiring another NEW voice for this character.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com

I don't know how they're going to handle it; either hire a new voice actor or do something like that. But we will see once they come out with the first English trailers for KH3.

ChibiHearts249

Trapped in the Source Filmmaker
Awards

Is it possible that they've already recorded any of his voicework? I mean, we don't really know much about things like that since they're so tight-lipped.

KHJEDIKNIGHT

Awards

Well can you clarify it, and find a source or something?

https://d23.com/ask-dave-011514-021814/

Skip to question 11 and they explain why. The producers were looking for a retro voice to match the style of the Mickey Mouse shorts, a voice which Iwan couldn't replicate. Diamantopoulous has never voiced Mickey in anything outside of those shorts, so I think it's safe to assume that Iwan will continue to voice Mickey throughout the KH series.

Also, in response to the above question regarding whether Ohtsuka and/or Nimoy had recorded any voicework, I imagine Ohtsuka may have done some voicework, but seeing as how localization, and by extension voice acting for the localization is one of the last things that they do, there's no way Nimoy or any of the other English voice actors had recorded anything yet.

WhinyAcademic

Awards

https://d23.com/ask-dave-011514-021814/

Skip to question 11 and they explain why. The producers were looking for a retro voice to match the style of the Mickey Mouse shorts, a voice which Iwan couldn't replicate. Diamantopoulous has never voiced Mickey in anything outside of those shorts, so I think it's safe to assume that Iwan will continue to voice Mickey throughout the KH series.

Also, in response to the above question regarding whether Ohtsuka and/or Nimoy had recorded any voicework, I imagine Ohtsuka may have done some voicework, but seeing as how localization, and by extension voice acting for the localization is one of the last things that they do, there's no way Nimoy or any of the other English voice actors had recorded anything yet.

Hmm, very well. Bret Iwan hopefully will improve, or be given better dialogue. And yeah, I highly doubt recording will even take place this year at this rate.

If Xehanort could just age himself down, then why the diddly has he been transferring his heart to new vessels to ensure he would live to see a new Keyblade War.

The BBS report he wrote implied he only had a few more years to live, and at the time, he probably didn't know just how much longer. So he needed to hustle and get Terra/Braig/whoever's body so he could get a move on with his Thirteen Seeker plan.

Even for the finale, Xehanort could go from his chosen "main host" vessel straight to "god-form"/"World-of-chaos"/"One-Winged-Angel" or whatever his final battle form is slated to be without ever reverting to the old MX-form again.

That could work. I say he just ages himself down so he doesn't have to go looking for another vessel when he's only one away from having all the Darknesses at this point.

And then you're presented with needing TWO new characters to join the Xehanort squad, as well as hiring another NEW voice for this character.

Nope. Just age him down so he wouldn't have to find two more vessels.

Even if aging him down is a plot hole, I have this quote from Xemnas. "I am willing to overlook any nicks or scratches." If it's a plot hole, I can accept this one out of respect for Chikao and Nimoy. I just can't replace them.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards

the fact people worried about MX' voice after his two actors' deaths, it proves how little many fans care but i suppose its right up there with "i don't care about nomura's family, just give us 3 already!"

WhinyAcademic

Awards

the fact people worried about MX' voice after his two actors' deaths, it proves how little many fans care but i suppose its right up there with "i don't care about nomura's family, just give us 3 already!"

And you would be mistaken, buddy.

I was shellshocked and hurt when I learned both of them died. I yelled "HE DIED?!?" when I heard the news. The trouble is that this is just a topic some want to discuss. I discussed it too soon and too rashly in the original Leonard Nimoy thread. Nobody wants to offend Nimoy, Ohtsuka. They know they were loved. Leonard was our honorary grandfather, after all.

So according to you, when can we talk about this?

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

I was quite annoyed myself by some people's impiety to bring up Xehanort's voice or KH III (there was even a thread about if Nimoy's death would delay KH III, doesn't get much more impious than that) the very same day he died, but this Friday it's already two weeks after the fact so I'd say it isn't completely out of the question to discuss topics relating to this.
People still pay their respects to Mr. Nimoy everyday too also with visual support, but I honestly doubt that he himself would have wanted complete radio silence on all other topics for months after his demise.
When Wayne Allwine (Mickey's old voice) passed away, was there also immediate speculation on who would replace him the same day? Or was it only after some time passed?
The latter case, as we have now with Nimoy as well, is unavoidable as life does indeed move on after a while.

Back