• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

That creepy alternate scene in Monstro

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Samhain

Bronze Member
If you complete Hb before Momstro then the Riku you see is posessed by Ansem

Scariest part? Riku was using his own voice and he only had one line: "Sora, dont you recogonize your best friend? "
"Liar! Youre not Riku"

I found it creepy that Ansem could use Rikus own voice

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
Ah, yes. I remember seeing this quite a while back. Yeah, I agree it's damn unsettling! I still love that scene if for no other reason than that the devs knew anticipated people sequence breaking to accommodate for that.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
It's my favorite thing about KH1. Besides KH3D, we haven't had alternate scenes since then.

That scene and all of the other alternate moments in that world were definitely haunting because it makes you realize how much power SoD has over Riku to the point that he even sounds like him.

Samhain

Bronze Member
one thing I do want to know is...how was Ansem SoD able to use Riku's voice?

And I think it's amazing how Sora knew from the get go that he wasn't Riku.

Sdog

Awards
one thing I do want to know is...how was Ansem SoD able to use Riku's voice?.

Mind control/Puppetry. While it was SoD's mind and motives, in the end it was Riku's body till the end when ASoD decided to show himself.

Samhain

Bronze Member
But how come ASoD didn't do that after he possessed Riku in Hollow Bastion?

i know these are alternate scenes but why exactly was ASoD in Monstro anyway? lol
I'm going to assume that alternate scene was not canon...unfortunately.

Sdog

Awards
By that point we all knew it wasn't Riku as opposed to just Sora's gut feeling. No point in ASoD putting on an act when it was obvious it wasn't Riku.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
With the alternate cutscenes in KH1 I kind of take it they're all non-canon. You're "supposed" to play the game a certain way (Monstro > Hollow Bastion) and the bonus scenes are more of a treat if you decide to play off the beaten path. There isn't even a reason for ASoD to go around stalking Sora or be at Monstro to begin with, it's just for the shits and giggles.

Samhain

Bronze Member
By that point we all knew it wasn't Riku as opposed to just Sora's gut feeling. No point in ASoD putting on an act when it was obvious it wasn't Riku.
But he did put an act by using Riku's voice and saying,
"Come on Sora. Don't you know your best friend?"

lol

Sdog

Awards
But he did put an act by using Riku's voice and saying,
"Come on Sora. Don't you know your best friend?"

lol

Though I get the origin of this thread, I'm talking from the standpoint of playing Monstro then HB like one supposed to. =p Because if you don't play it that way it makes no sense.

Particularly this scene onward. 48 seconds in.

[video=youtube_share;L0gEa_oeInc]http://youtu.be/L0gEa_oeInc?t=48s[/video]

hlc1988

Awards
I did not know this... I'd like to see this alternate scene... Maybe I'll keep this in mind when I replay KH1 soon...

Zul

Awards
It's my favorite thing about KH1. Besides KH3D, we haven't had alternate scenes since then.

I believe there are also a few alternate ones in KH2, namely if you lose to seifer or setzer. They're not really seen often I guess considering how easy the two "bosses" are.

EDIT: Oh and if you win/lose to Leon or Cloud in KH1.

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
I did not know this... I'd like to see this alternate scene... Maybe I'll keep this in mind when I replay KH1 soon...

[video=youtube;JHf0evYnvew]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHf0evYnvew[/video]

Anagram

Banned
There isn't even a reason for ASoD to go around stalking Sora or be at Monstro to begin with, it's just for the shits and giggles.
This is what I always thought too. It makes no sense for Ansem to take Pinocchio, stalk Sora or to even try to pull an act on him because the alternate scene is after Hollow Bastion which was where Sora fought Riku and recognized him as possessed.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I believe there are also a few alternate ones in KH2, namely if you lose to seifer or setzer. They're not really seen often I guess considering how easy the two "bosses" are.

EDIT: Oh and if you win/lose to Leon or Cloud in KH1.

I forgot about the Roxas ones.

But I def remember the Leon scenes. I need KH3 to bring this back, not because it is really a necessity but because it brings back the interactivity of the player's choices/wins/failures.

WhinyAcademic

Awards
I loved the alternate scene/deviating thing… even if on my first play through I had no idea it was happening.

On my first play through, I am pretty sure I did Olympus and Deep Jungle before Wonderland, because I remember Snow White being the princess who the Disney Villains capture at the end of Deep Jungle. Otherwise I did the game in standard order. When I was young, Kingdom Hearts was like nothing I'd ever played before, and it was the first game I was actually afraid of, and I grew to really fear for the universe, especially when favorites of mine like Simba had their worlds destroyed. So it never crossed my mind to leave a world once I started it because I was that determined to save the worlds - besides going back to Traverse Town to restock my supplies, that is.

Regarding this alternate take on Monstro, it feels like completing Hollow Bastion before it renders Monstro pretty much non-canon since as said, there's no point for Ansem to be dicking around inside a whale's innards. The fact that you can abandon Monstro since it lacks a Keyhole is something that was initially off-putting to me, since you had to struggle to find your way around that damn maze all for nothing. But, then it turns out that it's only in Gepetto's house that you can get a torn page. And I certainly wasn't going to allow Pooh and his friends to go without being reunited.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
I forgot about the Roxas ones.

But I def remember the Leon scenes. I need KH3 to bring this back, not because it is really a necessity but because it brings back the interactivity of the player's choices/wins/failures.

Completely agree here. I miss moments like this in the series (acceptance of the Million Dreams award in Birth by Sleep notwithstanding).

I loved the alternate scene/deviating thing… even if on my first play through I had no idea it was happening.

On my first play through, I am pretty sure I did Olympus and Deep Jungle before Wonderland, because I remember Snow White being the princess who the Disney Villains capture at the end of Deep Jungle. Otherwise I did the game in standard order. When I was young, Kingdom Hearts was like nothing I'd ever played before, and it was the first game I was actually afraid of, and I grew to really fear for the universe, especially when favorites of mine like Simba had their worlds destroyed. So it never crossed my mind to leave a world once I started it because I was that determined to save the worlds - besides going back to Traverse Town to restock my supplies, that is.

Regarding this alternate take on Monstro, it feels like completing Hollow Bastion before it renders Monstro pretty much non-canon since as said, there's no point for Ansem to be dicking around inside a whale's innards. The fact that you can abandon Monstro since it lacks a Keyhole is something that was initially off-putting to me, since you had to struggle to find your way around that damn maze all for nothing. But, then it turns out that it's only in Gepetto's house that you can get a torn page. And I certainly wasn't going to allow Pooh and his friends to go without being reunited.

Kingdom Hearts was certainly creepy and it did give me an incentive to try to save the worlds, too. It wasn't necessarily the first game to make me truly care for a game's universe (Illusion of Gaia and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask were this for me), but it is certainly one of the earliest to do so.

As to Monstro...yeah, I can't completely blame you. That maze was an interesting attempt at a level, but it bored and annoyed me more than anything (Wonderland was at least wacky and colorful).

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I think Monstro is memorable. There's nothing else in KH quite like it.. Being lost in Monstro is an easy-to-trigger memory for people. On the flipside, it's a really lazy level that I feel might've been added later in development to pad out the game. Only the first room feels unique, and the rest is just a huge maze. At least it isn't like KH2 where every level is flat and way too easy to navigate!

#removemapsinKH3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back