• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Crisis Core worth playing?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I'm a big fan of Crisis Core. In fact, its the last FF game I have actually liked. The story and gameplay are solid, and you actually grow to really like the main character. He was briefly mentioned and seen in FF7, but he gets really fleshed out and well developed in this game. You should give it a try, I think you would like it

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Any game that makes me cry and have big globs of snot dripping down my face, is a good game.

Like Swoosh said, the story and gameplay are solid, though I do have two issues with the game, they're pretty minor, though. The optional missions can be a bore most of the time. All. 300. Of them.
And with the character Genesis, while I do like him, I keep waffling on whether I think he was good in Crisis Core, or that his inclusion in the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII just really messed with things, though the later has more to do with him being in a scene I though was just plain pointless for him to be in.
All in all, Crisis Core is a great game.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Crisis Core is a wonderful game. It was directed by Hajime Tabata (Type-0, FFXV), music by Takeharu Ishimoto (Type-0, TWEWY, BBS/KH3D) and has an interesting combat system that will both keep you interested in playing and also piss you off when the attack you really need to activate doesn't because RNG god hates you and you die. Battles aren't too complicated, though, so don't worry about it.

The game made me sob like a baby, and you'll really appreciate characters like Zack, Aerith, Angeal, and even Sephiroth by the end of it all. In fact, it made me wish Sephiroth never became the man he does in FFVII but I won't get into that. That said, the story is good but don't expect something as fantastic as FFVII's story. It's a short game that is more character driven than anything (the plot will either click with you or leave you feeling underwhelmed) but it tells the stories of these characters you come to know while playing very well. Interactions are very grounded and the emotions expressed are realistic. This is something Tabata, as a director, excels at. All of his games have really realistic characters. (Nomura gets praise to since he is the character designer which includes making their personalities and backstory)

As for a negative I will have to agree with that Fudgemint mentioned, it is pretty widely accepted that Genesis ends up being a rather useless addition to the series. I kind of liked him, but Genesis seemed more like somebody's wish fulfillment (coughNomuracoughSquareEnixcough) than anything worth building up as important and the fact that the Compilation has been left unfinished makes it hard to understand what the developers were really planning to do with him post-DoC. Personally, I think SE tries to forget they even started building that trail. Fans certainly don't mind...Maybe if they do a FFVII remake and stick more Genesis hints in an––ugh.

(Off topic, but I will say this. If FFVII ever happens, and there are (sadly) reliable insiders who say that it is in the pipeline right now, then don't expect it to be a 1:1 game in HD. It will have stuff added in to make it fit with Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, maybe even Before Crisis like the inclusion of the other Turks, the whole Worldwide Network thing added in, Deepground hints ugh, etc. and I don't know how good of an idea that'd be but...it should be expected.)

The game is fairly short. You can finish it in 15 hours if you ignore most of the optional missions (which can really drag on, but if you really want to fight the secret boss you'll have to play them) and just follow the main storyline.

So, as far as handheld games go, this is definitely a solid one. It's best to form your own opinion on it, though.

Oh, and remember: you can't fight the inevitable.

And get ready to hear "Activating Combat Mode" forever...

TL;DR I love Crisis Core. It's got flaws but what game doesn't? Why not have a glance at the game that put Tabata out there?

Here are some fantastic songs to listen to from the OST. (And then this one that is a cover song by Ishimoto himself)

[video=youtube;wb87AMBCHh8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb87AMBCHh8[/video]

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

Sdog

Awards
Glad this thread came about, because I've been considering finally trying it myself. You all may have just swayed me!

Xehanort-X-blade

keyblade graveyard waiting for the war to begin
Crisis Core was really good you'll understand the FFVII story if you play it
28095_crisis_core_final_fantasy_vii-print.JPG

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Crisis Core was really good you'll understand the FFVII story if you play it

You don't need Crisis Core to understand FFVII, though. Crisis Core is only a supplement to what we already knew that just so happens to add some new information (that neither adds or detracts from VII as a whole). Both games stand on their own alone, but the difference is Crisis Core heavily relies on you having prior knowledge of FFVII's narrative to understand the foreshadowing and references made.

Xehanort-X-blade

keyblade graveyard waiting for the war to begin
You don't need Crisis Core to understand FFVII, though. Crisis Core is only a supplement to what we already knew that just so happens to add some new information (that neither adds or detracts from VII as a whole). Both games stand on their own alone, but the difference is Crisis Core heavily relies on you having prior knowledge of FFVII's narrative to understand the foreshadowing and references made.
yeah but it shows zack and cloud story and how he get buster sword and how sephiroth turned evil it's worth playing

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
yeah but it shows zack and cloud story and how he get buster sword and how sephiroth turned evil it's worth playing

Well I'm not arguing against that since I ranted about CCFFVII being worth it. My point is that FFVII explains these things, though. There are whole segments dedicated to Cloud's past, the Nibelheim massacre & Sephiroth's psychotic break, and Zack's death.

If Crisis Core had never been made, FFVII is still the same complete package it was. It is nice to have more on Zack and to grow attached to him (because of CCFFVII, Zack is now Japan's favorite male protagonist in Final Fantasy based on the most recent polls taken), an alternative view of Sephiroth before his break, and to see Aerith & Zack's relationship up close and personal rather than piecing what we know from Aerith's words and Zack's memories imprinted on Cloud, but there is nothing in FFVII that wasn't explained within its own narrative.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
I enjoyed Crisis Core multiple times more than I enjoyed FFVII if that means anything.

It's a really polished experience with an engaging story, solid combat and a lot of extra stuff to do.

Hard Mode is frustrating as hell though. Wouldn't recommend that.

shuyin_zer0

Awards
Definitely recommend! I'm not a fan of anything FF7, but I loved this game! The story is rather good for a cash-cow game, and the soundtrack is fantastic.

Best version of One-Winged Angel IMO.

I wish that it could be released on PSN, so I can replay it on my Vita. Le sigh.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
I probably can't say anything that hasn't already been said, but it's probably one of my favorite spin-off/sequels of the series, if that helps anything. I liked Zack a lot more than I ever liked Cloud and DAT ENDING. ;~; Even though you know it's coming it still hits you like a truck. The gameplay was solid, you get quite a lot of options (as far as I remember, it's been years since I played). Except, like Spockanort said, the bonus missions drag on because they mostly consist of 3 or 4 variations. (though not as bad or grating as Days was)
But Genesis pisses me off. Not so much because of his importance in the plot (if any) or his character, but mostly because his part in the FFVII' Compilation remains unfinished.

I wish that it could be released on PSN, so I can replay it on my Vita. Le sigh.

You and me both.

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
Spock pretty much gave you a perfect review, but if I had to add anything, it would have to be that one of the best fights in FF happens after you complete a shit ton of missions, which kind of sucks because the missions start to recycle themselves with harder enemies after the first 20 so whether you think it's worth it or not is up to you

Also Zack is a pretty tragic character and if you like a bittersweet storyline this is for you. gameplay is solid but not spectacular too

Also can someone explain to me why Genesis was so "useless" by the end of the game? I'm having a hard time remembering him outside of the obvious stuff lmao, I liked him

Last edited:

Draxem

Website
www.taystrippedbear.com
Well you dicks have completely ruined the story for me in the first page of the thread so well done.

Good review other than that though.

I haven't played VII properly in a very very long time and even then I didn't finish it, so I don't even know the story to that. I don't enjoy the turn based combat enough to be honest, but Crisis Core has something a little different that I am enjoying so far but I'm only at Angeals house now haha

Last edited:

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
Crisis Core is a wonderful game. It was directed by Hajime Tabata (Type-0, FFXV), music by Takeharu Ishimoto (Type-0, TWEWY, BBS/KH3D) and has an interesting combat system that will both keep you interested in playing and also piss you off when the attack you really need to activate doesn't because RNG god hates you and you die. Battles aren't too complicated, though, so don't worry about it.

The game made me sob like a baby, and you'll really appreciate characters like Zack, Aerith, Angeal, and even Sephiroth by the end of it all. In fact, it made me wish Sephiroth never became the man he does in FFVII but I won't get into that. That said, the story is good but don't expect something as fantastic as FFVII's story. It's a short game that is more character driven than anything (the plot will either click with you or leave you feeling underwhelmed) but it tells the stories of these characters you come to know while playing very well. Interactions are very grounded and the emotions expressed are realistic. This is something Tabata, as a director, excels at. All of his games have really realistic characters. (Nomura gets praise to since he is the character designer which includes making their personalities and backstory)

As for a negative I will have to agree with that Fudgemint mentioned, it is pretty widely accepted that Genesis ends up being a rather useless addition to the series. I kind of liked him, but Genesis seemed more like somebody's wish fulfillment (coughNomuracoughSquareEnixcough) than anything worth building up as important and the fact that the Compilation has been left unfinished makes it hard to understand what the developers were really planning to do with him post-DoC. Personally, I think SE tries to forget they even started building that trail. Fans certainly don't mind...Maybe if they do a FFVII remake and stick more Genesis hints in an––ugh.

(Off topic, but I will say this. If FFVII ever happens, and there are (sadly) reliable insiders who say that it is in the pipeline right now, then don't expect it to be a 1:1 game in HD. It will have stuff added in to make it fit with Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, maybe even Before Crisis like the inclusion of the other Turks, the whole Worldwide Network thing added in, Deepground hints ugh, etc. and I don't know how good of an idea that'd be but...it should be expected.)

The game is fairly short. You can finish it in 15 hours if you ignore most of the optional missions (which can really drag on, but if you really want to fight the secret boss you'll have to play them) and just follow the main storyline.

So, as far as handheld games go, this is definitely a solid one. It's best to form your own opinion on it, though.

Oh, and remember: you can't fight the inevitable.

And get ready to hear "Activating Combat Mode" forever...

TL;DR I love Crisis Core. It's got flaws but what game doesn't? Why not have a glance at the game that put Tabata out there?

Here are some fantastic songs to listen to from the OST. (And then this one that is a cover song by Ishimoto himself)

[video=youtube;wb87AMBCHh8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb87AMBCHh8[/video]

Spoiler Spoiler Show

^This. Crisis Core is essentially one of the best things to come out of the entire Compilation/Complication of Final Fantasy VII barring VII itself. The game tugs at your heartstrings, the music is outstanding ("The Price of Freedom" will forever be my favorite track from the game), the battle system is fairly fun - RNG and stupidly identical side missions notwithstanding - and the story does its job in expanding the mythos of Final Fantasy VII. The characters were done so perfectly: Zack is entertaining to watch and Aerith and Cloud are more similar to how they were before they were hit with the flanderization that pervades the series to this day. Hell, Sephiroth's character made more sense in this game than it did in VII.

Also, yes I do agree that if a remake were to be made, they would overload it with references big and small to the rest of the Compilation. This probably one of the biggest reasons as to why there are people afraid of a remake in the first place since they don't know if it would gel well or not.

I probably can't say anything that hasn't already been said, but it's probably one of my favorite spin-off/sequels of the series, if that helps anything. I liked Zack a lot more than I ever liked Cloud and DAT ENDING. ;~; Even though you know it's coming it still hits you like a truck. The gameplay was solid, you get quite a lot of options (as far as I remember, it's been years since I played). Except, like Spockanort said, the bonus missions drag on because they mostly consist of 3 or 4 variations. (though not as bad or grating as Days was)
But Genesis pisses me off. Not so much because of his importance in the plot (if any) or his character, but mostly because his part in the FFVII' Compilation remains unfinished.

Dat ending, man. I freely admit that I shed many a manly tear every time I beat this game.

Spock pretty much gave you a perfect review, but if I had to add anything, it would have to be that one of the best fights in FF happens after you complete a shit ton of missions, which kind of sucks because the missions start to recycle themselves with harder enemies after the first 20 so whether you think it's worth it or not is up to you

Also Zack is a pretty tragic character and if you like a bittersweet storyline this is for you. gameplay is solid but not spectacular too

Also can someone explain to me why Genesis was so "useless" by the end of the game? I'm having a hard time remembering him outside of the obvious stuff lmao, I liked him

The biggest problem with Genesis is that, as mangartist already mentioned, his story is unfinished. They teased him in during the secret ending of Dirge of Cerberus for his role in Crisis Core, but they have yet to continue his storyline beyond that. The other problem was that he became completely irrelevant midway through the game. His appearances after Modeohiem were almost thrown in as an afterthought as well as an excuse for Zack to have a final boss.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

He was kind of just there to create conflict for the sake of it. Considering his accelerated degradation, it's weird that he survives to be in the secret ending of DoC. I don't think Genesis has it in him to be this big villain that they were trying to imply he was. He has none of qualities that Sephiroth did that made him threatening.

Genesis is theatrical, dramatic, but honestly also very predictable. What could he possibly do that would frighten the world now? Sephiroth and Shinra Co. already did it all. I guess even Weiss did with Omega and Chaos. Genesis will appear and say "I WILL HAVE MY REDEMPTION" and then what? Is he going to destroy the world? Okay, so has everybody else in this Compilation. Is he going to get his revenge on Shinra? Well too bad they aren't the world power they once were and everybody hates Shinra so he'll have to get in line. Is he going to make clones of himself? Splash some of Aerith's holy water on them. What could he possibly do now?

When every other character has already been there and done that, what use does he have? In the scope of Crisis Core, he was rather important. In the grand scheme of things, not so much.

Well you dicks have completely ruined the story for me in the first page of the thread so well done.

But nobody spoiled anything...!

I haven't played VII properly in a very very long time and even then I didn't finish it, so I don't even know the story to that.

Oh! Well then...You should have said something about not having finished FFVII because I think most people operate on the idea that "this game is 17 years old so everybody knows [that thing]"

I don't enjoy the turn based combat enough to be honest, but Crisis Core has something a little different that I am enjoying so far but I'm only at Angeals house now haha

If you don't really like playing FFVII, I definitely suggest watching a playthrough or read up on events.

Draxem

Website
www.taystrippedbear.com
Well I'm not arguing against that since I ranted about CCFFVII being worth it. My point is that FFVII explains these things, though. There are whole segments dedicated to Cloud's past, the Nibelheim massacre & Sephiroth's psychotic break, and Zack's death.

If Crisis Core had never been made, FFVII is still the same complete package it was. It is nice to have more on Zack and to grow attached to him (because of CCFFVII, Zack is now Japan's favorite male protagonist in Final Fantasy based on the most recent polls taken), an alternative view of Sephiroth before his break, and to see Aerith & Zack's relationship up close and personal rather than piecing what we know from Aerith's words and Zack's memories imprinted on Cloud, but there is nothing in FFVII that wasn't explained within its own narrative.

"Nobody spoiled anything"

I've seen Advent Children as well but I really struggled to pay any attention to it.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I had not! I have started playing it though and definitely didn't know Zach was gonna die though!

it's cool really

But he was with Aerith in Advent Children. ;~; You need to watch Advent Children Complete after Crisis Core. It won't make anymore sense than it did before since you haven't played FFVII to the end, but they add more scenes to make the film's specific plot make more sense and specifically a new scene with Zack that puts his role into context.

o-okay ;~;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back