• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Am I the only one that liked Haley Joel Osments voice acting performance in KH 3D?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

5glitchers5

Awards
To me, this was the second best VA he did since KH 1. Because for once he wasn't trying to sound like KH 2 Sora in a younger body. I would've been perfectly fine with KH RE: CoM, and KH RE: CODED of him sounding like he did in KH 3D, or at least something similar. Plus I think it's funny when he said "That's ridiculous!" to Xigbar in KH 3D. :tongue:
Skip to 4:23 to hear "That's Ridiculous!"

[video=youtube;a5iFUsdtkLg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5iFUsdtkLg[/video]

Plus his battle quotes weren't too bad, although sound closer to the Japanese battle quotes:

[video=youtube;b9izwmvwVzU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9izwmvwVzU&list=UUIX2V8q0UVZsPT0CcP0bq4w&index=8[/video]

Sdog

Awards
By no means do I think he did bad, it just wasn't up to par to what he's done, which is to be expected. He is a lot older than when he first started so he can't ever sound exactly like he did. The fact he was able to get that close shows how good he is! And there were a couple moments where I thought he sounded spot on, though I'm sure it's hard to maintain and emulate a younger voice for yourself. though there were a couple parts in DDD where he was Sora post KH2 where he was still doing the younger voice, and it was just... out of place...

Anxious to hear his lines for 3, what with him getting to age it up a bit from DDD.

5glitchers5

Awards
By no means do I think he did bad, it just wasn't up to par to what he's done, which is to be expected. He is a lot older than when he first started so he can't ever sound exactly like he did. The fact he was able to get that close shows how good he is! And there were a couple moments where I thought he sounded spot on, though I'm sure it's hard to maintain and emulate a younger voice for yourself. though there were a couple parts in DDD where he was Sora post KH2 where he was still doing the younger voice, and it was just... out of place...

Anxious to hear his lines for 3, what with him getting to age it up a bit from DDD.

I hated how he sounded in KH Re: CoM as he should've tried to sound younger in the game, plus he was four years younger at the time so he probably could've done a better job. He should've had new battle quotes just like Jap did for KH Re: CoM as well as it would sound so much better, plus I heard VERY good dubs that sounded like KH 1 Sora almost on YouTube so I don't see why they didn't give him a new VA at least for younger sora. They could've used archived battle quotes from KH 1 in KH Days as there is NO voicing in KH Days for Sora. In KH Days Jap, Sora uses KH 1 battle quotes so it would've made sense. I've seen entire cutscenes from KH Re: CoM created from archived files so it makes me wonder if they could've done this for KH Re: Coded as well. If they did this and switched on and off from Billy Zane as Ansem/ Xehanort, or Clancy Brown as Ansem/ Xehanort that VA would be perfect! He did fine in KH 3D, just not so good in Re: CoM, or KH Re: Coded.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I agree, this is one of the best games in regards to his voice acting. His reactions in TWTNW are worth the whole game, imo.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I didn't realize people had a problem with his voice acting in any of the games.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I thought his voice was just fine, great even during The World That Never Was.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
I think part of the problem in Dream Drop Distance was the fact that he was forced to not only make his voice sound younger since Nomura has a hard on for fourteen year old Sora instead of fifteen year old Sora, but he was also forced to sound a bit more silly than he has in previous games. The directors seemed to have wanted a more hyperactive and go-lucky Sora throughout the bulk of Dream Drop Distance, so Haley Joel Osment's performance seemed like it was trying a little too hard.

Aside from that, I think he did a pretty decent job considering that his normal speaking voice is far too deep to match younger Sora (see his voicework for Vanitas). I feel like he'd do a better job if they just stop forcing him to play a fourteen year old for the upteenth time and just have him voice Sora as a fifteen year old again.

ChibiHearts249

Trapped in the Source Filmmaker
Awards
I honestly thought it was fine. What surprises me is that some people DON'T like it. I love 3D, though...that might have a little something to do with that.
I guess I can tell where people thought he seemed strained, but the performance itself was good. I dont care WHAT his voice sounds like, so long as it's him and he does well.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
yeah his voice fine as it is i like it but his voice changed little like KH2 maybe thats why people not happy

Everyone got over that a long time ago. We're talking specifically about his performance in 3D.

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards
I think part of the problem in Dream Drop Distance was the fact that he was forced to not only make his voice sound younger since Nomura has a hard on for fourteen year old Sora instead of fifteen year old Sora, but he was also forced to sound a bit more silly than he has in previous games. The directors seemed to have wanted a more hyperactive and go-lucky Sora throughout the bulk of Dream Drop Distance, so Haley Joel Osment's performance seemed like it was trying a little too hard.

Aside from that, I think he did a pretty decent job considering that his normal speaking voice is far too deep to match younger Sora (see his voicework for Vanitas). I feel like he'd do a better job if they just stop forcing him to play a fourteen year old for the upteenth time and just have him voice Sora as a fifteen year old again.

I totally agree with this statement. I swear... for me, his voice bothered me in 3D. Even as as 15 year old Sora in the beginning, he had that really light, childish, young voice. His voice sounded like he was forcing himself to sound really young.

Sora was so immature in this game, that it bothered me, I had to constantly remind myself, this is Sora we were thinking about... the most naive, completely pure kid you would ever meet... yeah, so I can't really complain about his personality.

I think he does a good job in his normal voice, that's why I really hope they make Sora older, so he can voice him well and the poor guy won't have to force his voice too much. I really liked his Vanitas voice, he did an amazing job with him.

axel95

Awards
I thought it was okay. I can't say I liked it. Part of it may be they have written Sora with the maturity of an eight year old, and the higher-pitched voice just added to that annoyance. But it is one of Haley's better performances because he needed to make himself sound young. I don't think he gets enough props for trying to sound 16 for the past (almost) ten years. Hopefully in KH3 he can use a little more natural voice.

SoraForeverKH

Most certainly not! As a big Sora fan I enjoy his work in every game. But throughout all the games made in these past years, I think his performance improves in each game.
Haha. If I didn't like Sora's voice from Dream Drop Distance than I wouldn't currently be trying to pick out every line he says in the game from the curscenes to have all on one recording! I'm even being careful not to miss a single gasp or "hm." Lol
Listening to them, however, sometimes I have trouble trying to hear if he is using his younger-old voice, or his current-old voice. I like trying to recognize the tone changes. But in 3D it is a bit difficult.
But, yes! I thought he did a terrific job voicing over Sora. Every quote had so much depth in it, and he is good when it comes to soundin dramatic. I loved the scene before he faced Xemnas, it was just so awesome! I get so touched when he tells them his own beliefs of the Heart.
I really like getting to watch and listen to the current age Sora. I wonder though... Will HJO make Sora sound even older in KH III, ugsin his more deep voice? Though, not quite like Vanitas'! Haha!

Last edited:

Lester811

I liked his voice acting in each game, but, is it just me or does Sora seem to become more of a goofball in dream drop distance. I know this doesn't have much to do with his voice but after all the trials and tribulations don't you think he would seem a tad .... I don't know ... wiser? anyone else share that thought after DDD.

And by no means does that mean I didn't love the game, just threw me off a little bit

SoraForeverKH

QUOTE=Lesteven 1;6230831]hiss voice acting in each game, but, is it just me or does Sora seem to become more of a goofball in dream drop distance. I know this doesn't have much to do with his voice but after all the trials and tribulations don't you think he would seem a tad .... I don't know ... wiser? anyone else share that thought after DDD.

And by no means does that mean I didn't love the game, just threw me off a little bit[/QUOTE]

I also know what you mean, even though it kills me to say that about Sora.
You would think he would still have his sixteen year old memories and attitude during his time being fourteen again in the Sleeping Worlds, but for some reason his personality got younger.
And yes, he also acted really childish when it showed him older as well. That all really threw me off, too.
But I have thought about it some, and it could actually mean something, important to his story.
Ansem the wise even said he has the heart of a child inside him. If that's true, then this makes sense why he has not grown up with his age.
If his heart remains uncorrupted and pure he may not ever have to lose that positive attitude of his, and he will see that every little thing has a meaning.
But should his heart ever get influenced by the Darkness in the future games, and cause him to be doubtful in himself, he may find it harder to be his carefree, optimistic self. Which would be really different for the beloved Sora we know, and would be really sad if we had to watch him in his struggles. It was hard enough with Riku.Still, no matter what he does or has to go through, he will always be my most favorite character.

It is just a thought, but maybe this is the reason for his very childish moments. Even as he continues getting older, if his heart still thinks like a young kid, he may never grow out of this innocent stage he's been showing.

Last edited:

Lester811

QUOTE=Lesteven 1;6230831]hiss voice acting in each game, but, is it just me or does Sora seem to become more of a goofball in dream drop distance. I know this doesn't have much to do with his voice but after all the trials and tribulations don't you think he would seem a tad .... I don't know ... wiser? anyone else share that thought after DDD.

And by no means does that mean I didn't love the game, just threw me off a little bit

I also know what you mean, even though it kills me to say that about Sora.
You would think he would still have his sixteen year old memories and attitude during his time being fourteen again in the Sleeping Worlds, but for some reason his personality got younger.
And yes, he also acted really childish when it showed him older as well. That all really threw me off, too.
But I have thought about it some, and it could actually mean something, important to his story.
Ansem the wise even said he has the heart of a child inside him. If that's true, then this makes sense why he has not grown up with his age.
If his heart remains uncorrupted and pure he may not ever have to lose that positive attitude of his, and he will see that every little thing has a meaning.
But should his heart ever get influenced by the Darkness in the future games, and cause him to be doubtful in himself, he may find it harder to be his carefree, optimistic self. Which would be really different for the beloved Sora we know, and would be really sad if we had to watch him in his struggles. It was hard enough with Riku.Still, no matter what he does or has to go through, he will always be my most favorite character.

It is just a thought, but maybe this is the reason for his very childish moments. Even as he continues getting older, if his heart still thinks like a young kid, he may never grow out of this innocent stage he's been showing.[/QUOTE]

Good of point I mean sora is just sora lol I think that with the more mature theme they have been talking about we will see a more wise version of sora and co. I really want to see more interaction with Donald and goofy too they have always been the comic relief. I don't want sora to lose his happy go lucky style but I would like to see a more idk if this is the right word for it but, calm, sora

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back