• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Rebuilding an Academy

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Should the Roleplaying Academy be revived?

• Yes

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
As some of you might recall, we once had a thread that's intent was to pair aspiring members seeking to sick their teeth into the joys of roleplaying with roleplaying vets in order to pass on the knowledge of roleplaying—or to a greater extent, writing or creative process—to these members. However, the thread ultimately did not work due to various reasons affecting the section at that time.

My question is as follows: Is there a desire to see this academy rebuilt? And if so, are there any members who would volunteer to be a mentor (and who would follow through and actually help and take on students)?

If there appears to be enough desire to see this facility resurrected, I will further elaborate on my ideas for the thread, such as changes to content, layout, design, etc., and also open it up other members' ideas on how it should operate.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
While I'd be glad to see this institution revived, I have to wonder: are there enough new members in this section to justify and populate an academy? There seems to be increased activity in some areas of roleplaying, but I'm honestly not sure how much of that is coming from new and inexperienced roleplayers who would most benefit from something like this. And while I've always thought it would be fun to be a student, just to get an in-depth look at how another roleplayer plays, I doubt I would have the time.

Last edited:

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I agree with Hidden. I feel like there's not enough new members to justify restarting the Academy right now. If we can get more new members in the future, then it would be a great idea, but right now, I'm not really sure that it would work well.

Also, I remember (I think...? I could be wrong about this ;0;) that there were guides for roleplaying before, so, if we can't start the Academy now, maybe we could have members write guides for new and old members as a start or something? (Maybe discussions about certain aspects of roleplaying, too?)

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
While it's true that there aren't exactly a large number of new roleplayers right now, I recall several members signing up for the academy in hopes of learning to roleplay. Some of these people might not have even roleplayed before, but had the mentors at the time not been slacking and actually took them in as students and taught them, they might have still been here roleplaying. One of the main reasons I want to see it restored is not necessarily as a need, but for it to be there for those who need it.

It doesn't have to even be grandiose from the start, either. We can easily scale it down to a more simplified layout, cut out the fatty extras such as the critique hall, and streamline the whole thing. It won't be an excessive project and will just be there for those who need or want it.

And in the future, should the number of new members increase, it can be expanded to fit the new members' needs.

Thoughts?

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
A streamlined process is what the Academy needs to succeed.

Why not, instead of permanent mentorships, a question-by-question format? Roleplayer A wants to know about worldbuilding; Teachers X, Y, and/or Z respond with some tips. Unless requested otherwise, questions and answers would be open to viewing from the public. Then it could serve as an extension of the FAQ thread.

This kind of format would also encourage participation from more than just newbie roleplayers. Anyone with a question would be able to pick our experts' brains, and receive a prompt answer.

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
That would probably work a lot better, as it allows not just one, but several people to provide tips, and lets the roleplayer see and take in the concept from different perspectives. I've also been wanting to condense some of these stickied threads, so this could also do just that.

However, should there still be the option to request a mentor? Considering not all people learn the same way, some people might benefit from the one on one interaction better than the question format. Though it would only be secondary to the question format.

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
However, should there still be the option to request a mentor? Considering not all people learn the same way, some people might benefit from the one on one interaction better than the question format. Though it would only be secondary to the question format.

Why not have our mentors specify whether they'll answer questions, mentor privately, or do both? Not only does that accommodate different learners and learning styles, it reduces the likelihood that the student is left waiting too long for a response.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
It doesn't have to even be grandiose from the start, either. We can easily scale it down to a more simplified layout, cut out the fatty extras such as the critique hall, and streamline the whole thing. It won't be an excessive project and will just be there for those who need or want it.

Yes please. After taking a peek at the old thread, it was a bit of an eyesore to read through each section. Narrowing it down the "need to know information" will make it easier on new roleplayers to read. Instead of turning them away because, there's simply too much information being thrown at them at once to go through.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
While it's true that there aren't exactly a large number of new roleplayers right now, I recall several members signing up for the academy in hopes of learning to roleplay. Some of these people might not have even roleplayed before, but had the mentors at the time not been slacking and actually took them in as students and taught them, they might have still been here roleplaying. One of the main reasons I want to see it restored is not necessarily as a need, but for it to be there for those who need it.

And in the future, should the number of new members increase, it can be expanded to fit the new members' needs.

Thoughts?

Excuse you, I did my job as Mentor, if I remember correctly. Omnoms pls. All my students either got busy (Mega with schools uwu <3), or simply disappeared/vanished, or discontinued in posting. umadbrah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back