• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Jim Meskimen to replace Dan Castellaneta as "Genie" in Future Games

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

For those who have followed the recent Disney games, Disney Think Fast, Kinect Disneyland Adventures, and Disney Magical World, you will have noticed that Genie from Aladdin sounds differently from his previous appearances in the Disney's Aladdin trilogy and the Kingdom Hearts series.
Back around 2008, Jim Meskimen replaced Dan Castellaneta (Homer Simpson from "The Simpsons") as Genie for future Disney games. As Genie's last speaking role was back in 2006 with Kingdom Hearts II, it was unclear whether Square Enix would keep Genie's voice consistant with the series or adopt this new voice actor.

Revealed today, future installments of the Kingdom Hearts series will feature Jim Meskimen as the Genie. This means that the upcoming Re:coded HD Cinematics in Kingdom Hearts -HD 2.5 ReMIX- will be Jim's debut role as the Genie in the Kingdom Hearts series.

For those curious to hear what he sounds like as Genie, skip to 1:55 in the video below to get a glimpse at his work from 2011:

Follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on FacebookTwitter, and Tumblr for the latest updates on Kingdom Hearts -HD 2.5 ReMIX- & Kingdom Hearts 3!

Source: Jim Meskimen via Twittervideo by Y2JArmyofficial

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Voice actor confirmations always brighten up my day~

I wonder why they decided to change VAs this time. He sounds great in that video so I'm sure Genie will be a bucketload of fun as always in Re:coded.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
He sounds okay, not as wacky and crazy like Dan or Robin, but it's Genie not as, well Genie. I need to see how he'll be in Re Coded first to get a better idea.
It's been a few years between when he did that and the recording for Re:coded so he probably has improved over time. Disney must have seen something in him that made him a worthy candidate for taking over the role as the Genie so I trust their choice :)

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net
It's been a few years between when he did that and the recording for Re:coded so he probably has improved over time. Disney must have seen something in him that made him a worthy candidate for taking over the role as the Genie so I trust their choice :)

Okay, then Agrebah clips from Re Coded are ones I'm interested the most now to see how he'll do now between that and now.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards

Yeah hopefully you're right. I'm feeling the same about his voice in that clip, kinda eh to me. I'll remain optimistic about and reserve further judgment when 2.5 releases.

At least he's better than the new VA for Mickey.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I'm excited to hear these new voices for the game. Hynden Walch should be the new voice for Alice, April Winchell as the Queen of Hearts, and we finally get to hear Jim Cummings voice the Cheshire Cat in a game.
Thank god they're not changing Aladdin and Jasmine's voice actors though.

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
This Genie sounds way closer to Robin Williams' original Genie. Though, he's less crazy (not so fast talking). But hey, he probably already improved since that video you linked to so I have faith in this.

sonickenshin

Awards
[video=youtube;ARKXYosClyA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARKXYosClyA[/video]
Here's another clip of his Genie. This was recorded in 2012, but I dunno if this attraction is as old as the recordings in that game.

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
He may have the mannerisms right but the voice sounds nothing like Genie. This really will distract me every time I'll hear his voice. What a shame :/

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
You know, given what a big gamer nerd Robin Williams is, I'm surprised he hasn't done voice over work for any games. Is it completely out of the question to get him on board?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
You know, given what a big gamer nerd Robin Williams is, I'm surprised he hasn't done voice over work for any games. Is it completely out of the question to get him on board?
I think it might just be too costly for them to get him.

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
Those videos are hardly representative of Jim Meskimen's best. Listen to this:

Skip to 2:45 for his Robin Williams impression.
While not spot-on, it's certainly better than the "Robin-Williams-as-Genie" impression in the videos above.

Meskimen is an excellent vocal impressionist, and I couldn't be gladder to have him in this game series. I highly recommend browsing through his YouTube channel, if only to hear Shakespeare recited by thirty different celebrities.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Not like Castellaneta was any good as Genie in the first place. I wish Castellaneta voiced another character in the games, because he's really funny, but Genie is such a hard role to replace.

Sdog

Awards
Guys pretty good, though I'm still shocked with how much Robin Williams goes on how he loves vidya games, how come he doesn't voice Genie anymore?

KHRULER

Awards
As long as Leonard Nimoy has and Haley Joel Osment keep their roles in the games yet to come, a smile still remains on my face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back