• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Jericho {A Zombie Apocalypse Roleplay} [Sign-ups/OOC]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
Five weeks after the first infection...

The infection was first reported in Las Vegas, where it quickly spread throughout the city via fluid-transmissions (mainly bites). In accordance with CONPLAN 8888, the city was quickly quarantined to halt the spread of the unknown virus, and the virus was labeled a Class 4 Biohazard.

The unknown virus showed symptoms akin to rabies and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (often referred to as the human strain of the mad cow disease), with infected individuals showing signs of full-blown mania, highly elevated aggression, and violent movements. The virus, however, had shown a far shorter incubation period, resulting in the quicker spread of the virus.

However, with a sudden mutation of the virus, which resulted in a new airborne stain, the quarantine of the virus failed. In result, the infected individuals eventually broke through the quarantine and the virus began spreading like a wildfire.

Five weeks after the first infection, and the United States government--apart from the still-operating military (or what's left of it) and a few officials--has all but collapsed beneath the outbreak. The outbreak has spread deep into Canada and South America, and the first signs of it have appeared in London, Paris, Moscow, and Tokyo. Only a few safe havens remain in America, but among them--or so rumor tells--are military strongholds where people are being evacuated to safety, and whispered softly are tales of an impenetrable military fortress, codename Jericho.

It's the zombie apocalypse and escape is the only salvation. Will you survive it?

The Virus

Spoiler Spoiler Show

The Survivors

During the outbreak, individuals were shown to be immune to the different strains of the virus, though it is currently unknown how. Many are immune to the airborne virus, but only a few a immune to the base strain.

Those that are immune traverse the country, seeking refuge where they can, in hope of finding a safe haven from the infected. Safety in numbers, survivors are often found traveling in groups of two or more people, and have armed themselves with anything that can be used as a weapon. As they travel, they will face a great number of infected individuals. Some will live. Many will die.

Rules

1. Follow all basic rules, such as no god-modding or power-playing and all that jazz. I'm sure most of us already know them and I don't feel like listing them.

2. Try to stay fairly active. If you stop posting, you might find a zombie with its teeth sunk in you.

3. Try to stay realistic. These people should largely be random, every day people, not scopeless snipers that can headshot a zombie six miles away.

4. Obviously, the survivors are immune to the airborne strain of the virus, but I don't want everyone immune to the base, liquid-transmitted one. No fun that way.

5. Most importantly, apart from myself and those who control infected characters, roleplayers cannot initiate infected encounters, simply react to them the best they are able.

6. Characters may (and are likely to) die, or worse become infected, along the way. In which case a new character may be created to join the party, if so desired. Though characters don't have to die, it should simply be noted that not all situations can be escaped, depending on the actions taken.

Template

Name:
Immunity:
(Airborne--Yes; Liquid transmitted--Yes/No)
Equipment:
(Equipment will come and go, this is just what you start with)
Skills:
(Physical or mental abilities you feel are relevant)
Appearance:
History:
(brief history of your character before and during the infection)

Cast

Active Cast
NameRoleplayerAgeGenderBase-Immunity
Dean MasonMax32MaleNo
Riley RhodesDelsan20FemaleYes
Frederick BenedictLatinoHeat9026MaleNo
Fan "Rain" TingyuHidden23FemaleUnknown
Peyton RichardsonOmniChaos62MaleNo
Dakota BlairRawTalent20MaleYes

Infected Cast

Deceased Cast

Last edited:

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
A few questions:

The infection was first reported in Las Vegas, where it quickly spread throughout the city via fluid-transmissions (mainly bites).
This just got me thinking--what other methods of fluid-based transmission might there be? When you mention it started in Las Vegas, my stereotype-fueled response was, "Oh, this virus is spread through drugs and sex!" But... can it be spread through drugs and sex? Given the symptoms and the short incubation time, I suppose the latter is unlikely. Still, do people necessarily know what spreads the virus? Outside of the obvious bite-infection model, I could imagine a lot of paranoia springing up about food, water, air, proximity to others, etc.

Immunity: (Airborne--Yes; Liquid transmitted--Yes/No)
Following my previous question, our characters wouldn't necessarily know whether they're immune or not, correct? All they know is that some people are apparently healthy, some people are raving monsters, and the balance between the two can change very quickly. I suppose if they've been bitten and nothing has happened to them, they might have an inkling as to their own immunity, but with the (multi-strain) virus barely more than 5 weeks old and the US government in shambles, it's not like the CDC is putting out pamphlets on the infection.

Finally, a stylistic question: do you think it would be a good idea for roleplayers to write in the first-person? Given the nature of the storyline, I feel like first-person might be more appropriate, more immediate and visceral, but third-person is definitely the more common writing style on these forums. It would probably be something you'd want to keep uniform throughout the roleplay either way.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
Following my previous question, our characters wouldn't necessarily know whether they're immune or not, correct? All they know is that some people are apparently healthy, some people are raving monsters, and the balance between the two can change very quickly. I suppose if they've been bitten and nothing has happened to them, they might have an inkling as to their own immunity, but with the (multi-strain) virus barely more than 5 weeks old and the US government in shambles, it's not like the CDC is putting out pamphlets on the infection.

I would assume that the only way they would know is if they were bitten and didn't turn. Some people could probably choose to be immune but their character just wouldn't know. It would be sad for a character to decide to take the easy way out once they're bit because they don't want to turn, yet they were immune the whole time (though I don't think somebody who chooses to be immune will end it that way).

Finally, a stylistic question: do you think it would be a good idea for roleplayers to write in the first-person? Given the nature of the storyline, I feel like first-person might be more appropriate, more immediate and visceral, but third-person is definitely the more common writing style on these forums. It would probably be something you'd want to keep uniform throughout the roleplay either way.

Also, the Roleplays I'm in are written in the first person by most of the participants (I'm only in two, but because they're both like that I just assumed first person was more common here). If we all have to stick to one writing style then it won't be a problem for me, but I'll just throw it out there that I really prefer first person.

Anyway, I'm pretty pumped for this and I can't wait to see everyone else's characters they come up with.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
I've never done a roleplay, but this looks really fun. Also, is this in a world where people know about zombies beforehand, like from movies and such? There aren't many zombie stories like that, and it would prevent characters from making stupid/obvious decisions that would later result in their death...

Spoiler Spoiler Show

LatinoHeat90

I think this will be fun. Ready to see if my character can survive.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
This just got me thinking--what other methods of fluid-based transmission might there be? When you mention it started in Las Vegas, my stereotype-fueled response was, "Oh, this virus is spread through drugs and sex!" But... can it be spread through drugs and sex? Given the symptoms and the short incubation time, I suppose the latter is unlikely. Still, do people necessarily know what spreads the virus? Outside of the obvious bite-infection model, I could imagine a lot of paranoia springing up about food, water, air, proximity to others, etc.

Yes, actually. In fact, it's because of the excessive amount of prostitution and shared drug use that the virus was able to spread so fast before any symptoms emerged. After the quarantine failed, the US government was forced to make an announcement concerning the infection and explained everything that you mentioned and more. They urged the eating of only sealed foods and bottled water, and heavily stated the necessity to wash your hands.

As you mentioned, surviving a bite is the most obvious method of knowing an immunity to the base strain. However, following the failure of the quarantine, as part of CONPLAN 8888, the government quickly devised a test to determine immunity to the virus. Simple and straightforward, infected blood is mixed with a subject's blood, and if the infected blood did not take over the human's blood, they were stated to have immunity to the virus. And can even be tested by anyone who has a microscope. However, it isn't 100% accurate.

I do like the idea of using first-person, but I think it's whatever the general consensus on it is. We'll all be using it, so we should probably agree on it.

I've never done a roleplay, but this looks really fun. Also, is this in a world where people know about zombies beforehand, like from movies and such? There aren't many zombie stories like that, and it would prevent characters from making stupid/obvious decisions that would later result in their death...

Yes, all zombie entertainment in our world is also in this one, such as The Walking Dead and the Left 4 Dead series.

Further, all three templates seem fine.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
One more question: How are all of us supposed to meet? Is there a geographical location we should all be centered around at the beginning of the game?

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
One more question: How are all of us supposed to meet? Is there a geographical location we should all be centered around at the beginning of the game?

The best reason I can think of would be all of our characters are attempting to reach a supposed safe haven. A logical safe haven would be Alcatraz Island, so I suppose we could start there. Also, your character--naturally--is fine. Further, expect the roleplay to start fairly soon.

Name:
Peyton Richardson​
Immunity:
Airborne immunity--Yes; Base immunity--No​
Equipment:
A Browning Compound Bow x 60 aluminum alloy arrows
When the outbreak first began, the people of Las Vegas began raiding the stores for guns and ammunition, leaving the bows and arrows behind. After most of the Stragglers died and the city began quieting down, Peyton found a hunting store and took a bow and some arrows from it. Unlike a gun, an arrow is silent and will not draw in infected. Further, the arrows can be retrieved from the infected and reused.

A Golf Club
The virus has shown signs of weakening the integrity of the infected's tissue and bone density, and Peyton has found that, with the right amount of force, an item--in this case a golf club--can decapitate an infected individual.

Backpack
Peyton carries a large backpack filled with an assortment of equipment. He has a silver lighter and, just in case, a box of matches. He has several boxes of batteries and two flashlights. Peyton carries a map, a compass, and a small pocket knife. He keeps four bottled water and six canned food. Finally, Peyton has three airhorns, which he has crafted into a tool to distract the infected with sound.​

Skills:
Experience & Study
When the outbreak began, Peyton secluded himself to his room and quietly waited. He watched people panic and flee, and watched as some fought back. When the quarantine was set up, Peyton began studying the infected's reactions toward sounds and the survivors. He noticed the differences between the Stragglers and the Runners, and noted those that were most important. He can, to some extent, be referred to as a sort of "Infected Expert," which would make him valuable for survival.

Archery
At his school, Peyton learned how to use the bow and arrow, a skill that ironically proved invaluable during the outbreak.

Military Training
Peyton served three years in the Vietnam War, from 1970 until August of 1973, when the American military was withdrawn from Vietnam. Those skills he learned carried through and stuck with him all those years later.

Physical
Though older than most survivors, Peyton has kept himself in good shape, which, with his craftiness, has kept him alive this far. Though in good shape, Peyton is still old, and extended physical exertions, such as climbing stairs or running, will leave his body in fair pain.​

Appearance:
A tall, thin man, the outbreak's effect shows well in Peyton. He has black hair--once clean and well-kept--is now messy and soaked with sweat and dirt. He has piercing blue eyes that gaze out from behind his hair. His face is covered with a thick, black stubble, that grows slightly longer at his chin. He has a cut across his right cheek from a close encounter with an infected.​

History:
Originally born in North Ireland, Peyton's parents moved to America shortly after he was born. After school, Peyton joined the military, where he went through basic training, and was quickly shipped out to Vietnam near the war's end. Peyton returned to the states following the troop withdrawal in 1973. Later, he returned to college to major in biology, but dropped out due to financial issues.

When the outbreak began, Peyton barricaded himself in his room--along with some supplies--and waited out the initial panic. He watched and studied the infected and their reaction to their surroundings during the quarantine. When the quarantine failed and the infected began dispersing, Peyton started leaving his room to gather food and supplies. Eventually, after most of the Stragglers had died from starvation, Peyton began leaving the hotel and gathered weapons and further supplies. Knowing that odds of survival are better in larger numbers, Peyton set out to find fellow survivors.​

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
Is it okay if I change my character's base-immunity to "Yes"? I originally picked "No" because I thought other people would do the opposite, but since a bunch of us aren't immune, I'd like to balance it out a bit, and I've been fleshing out my character's history a bit based on her immunity. I won't change my post unless it's changed in the OP.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
Is it okay if I change my character's base-immunity to "Yes"? I originally picked "No" because I thought other people would do the opposite, but since a bunch of us aren't immune, I'd like to balance it out a bit, and I've been fleshing out my character's history a bit based on her immunity. I won't change my post unless it's changed in the OP.
FYI my character, Rain, is immune to base strain, she just doesn't know it yet.

Max

Staff member
Awards
I'm pretty sure I've got my first post all planned out depending on how we start things off, I'm ready to go!

RawTalent

Name: Dakota Blair

Immunity:
Airborne--Yes; Liquid transmitted--Yes

Equipment:
A backpack that consists of a variety of chargers, computer parts and various hacking devices. A small satchel that holds various pictures of his dearest friends and family. He also holds a batman flashlight that he uses for lighting his way in the darkest of times.

Skills:
Dakota's skills with computers are unmatched. Before the outbreak, Dakota attended a private school for computer geniuses, if anything had a database he could hack into it. After being bullied in public school, Dakota's parents enrolled him in Tae Kwon-Do in order to defend himself from the schoolyard bullies.

Appearance:
He has short brown hair, and is 6'6 after a growth spurt in the last year of high school. He doesn't have the best of vision so he has glasses he wears as well as a pair of contacts that he rarely uses. He is a bit on the chubby side due to his non-stop computer gaming and coding. Even though he is slightly overweight he can still run fast when needed, but in quick bursts.

History:

Before:
Dakota was born and raised in Ontario, Canada. Dakota and his family had to move to Texas due to a job his mother got offered and couldn't say no to. Ever since Dakota was introduced to video games he was hooked, he played every game he could get his hands on including flight simulators. Dakota was never a ladies man, nor was he a social person. He had a couple friends that he cared dearly for and would kill to protect them. He followed all the laws placed by the countries he resided in except those to do with internet downloading. If it was on the internet he could surely scope it out and snatch it without being traced. Dakota's dream was to live in Japan ever since he watched anime. He loved everything to do with Japanese people, and said to himself that he would one day live his dream in Japan, no matter what.

After:
Dakota wished for a zombie outbreak but never thought it would happen. Dakota was at his family house when the outbreak hit and his parents were out shopping. When he had heard what had happened on the television, he immediately called his parents to see if they were okay. When his mother picked up she was crying, repeatedly saying "sorry" "I'm sorry". Dakota asked what had happened and she told him that her father had saved her from the zombies but had sacrificed himself in the process. Now, Dakota fatherless is on a quest to find and save his mom from her hiding place and bring her to a save haven he had heard about on a forum website.

Last edited:

Max

Staff member
Awards
Should Riley and Dakota have a base immunity of 'Yes' in the cast list?

Eternal Dream

The Messenger
Awards
You know, I remember when you tried putting this up... I think last year? The idea still intrigues me, so... Oh, what the hell. Sign me up. Just give me a couple days to get my temps written. Quick clearance question: are pets allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back