• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Mortal Kombat X

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
Here's hoping they get rid of that god awful block button.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com
Wtf is wrong with you? The last mortal kombat was amazing, and this one will be too. I'm officially on board the hype train.

If that's actual gameplay footage, I'm freaking out. With Boon's most recent obsession with making his games more "cinematic", I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

I'm also curious how they're going to handle the story mode for this. Sub-Zero's supposed to be a cyborg right now, and the majority of the characters from the last game are dead.

Also this logo is tight as hell.
10403436_884699511544309_6358711023839808329_n.jpg

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Wtf is wrong with you? The last mortal kombat was amazing, and this one will be too. I'm officially on board the hype train.

If that's actual gameplay footage, I'm freaking out. With Boon's most recent obsession with making his games more "cinematic", I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

I'm also curious how they're going to handle the story mode for this. Sub-Zero's supposed to be a cyborg right now, and the majority of the characters from the last game are dead.

Also this logo is tight as hell.
10403436_884699511544309_6358711023839808329_n.jpg

Which ones are dead for real?

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
Which ones are dead for real?

Liu Kang, Jax, Sub-Zero, Noob Saibot, Kung Lao, Shang Tsung, Shao Kahn, Smoke, Sindel, Nightwolf, Stryker, Kabal, Motaruo, Goro, Kintaro, Kano, Jade and Kitana. It's been a while, so I might be mistaken with some, but it's probably not far off the mark.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
Wtf is wrong with you? The last mortal kombat was amazing, and this one will be too.
The fact that it used a block button is a large one. That's a major no-no for any fighting game because it completely defeated the purpose of most any mix-up coming your way.

Not to mention that alternate costumes changed the hitboxes on moves, which completely defeats the purpose of it being a costume. You basically had to re-learn the character a different way if you waned to use that outfit. It was a mess in confusing the meta-game. The biggest and stupidest (though I'm not sure if it was patched to be honest) being that player 1 had more priority over player 2 if two attacks hit simultaneously. That's a no-brainer.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
Liu Kang, Jax, Sub-Zero, Noob Saibot, Kung Lao, Shang Tsung, Shao Kahn, Smoke, Sindel, Nightwolf, Stryker, Kabal, Motaruo, Goro, Kintaro, Kano, Jade and Kitana. It's been a while, so I might be mistaken with some, but it's probably not far off the mark.
Yeah if I remember right, pretty much everyone but four or five characters died in the story mode. And that was....Raiden, Johnny Cage, Sonya, and Scorpion. And a couple of the bad guys survived too.

The fact that it used a block button is a large one. That's a major no-no for any fighting game because it completely defeated the purpose of most any mix-up coming your way.

Not to mention that alternate costumes changed the hitboxes on moves, which completely defeats the purpose of it being a costume. You basically had to re-learn the character a different way if you waned to use that outfit. It was a mess in confusing the meta-game. The biggest and stupidest (though I'm not sure if it was patched to be honest) being that player 1 had more priority over player 2 if two attacks hit simultaneously. That's a no-brainer.

Unless you're an EVO type tournament fighter, none of those things should concern you. Especially since none of those problems were present in Injustice.

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net

So, no one too impact worthy of the series right?

Also, finally hit 3,000 posts

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
I forgot to mention my other concern with this game. Those hideous character models. Please for the love of god let them make people who are supposed to look attractive actually be attractive. Still can't get over Kitana's man chin, or Liu Kang looking like Schwarzenegger.

So, no one too impact worthy of the series right?

No not too important. Only main characters and fan favorites. Totally disposable.

Though I remember reading about Boon wanting to give MK a whole new cast of characters, which was the original purpose of MK Armageddon. This could be where he finally does it.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
Quan Chi was also a survivor (and clearly had his own agenda). Expect Shinnok to make an appearance in this one.

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I forgot to mention my other concern with this game. Those hideous character models. Please for the love of god let them make people who are supposed to look attractive actually be attractive. Still can't get over Kitana's man chin, or Liu Kang looking like Schwarzenegger.

No not too important. Only main characters and fan favorites. Totally disposable.

Though I remember reading about Boon wanting to give MK a whole new cast of characters, which was the original purpose of MK Armageddon. This could be where he finally does it.

So, they can be replaced with new faces, right?

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
is that a new mask for sub-zero? finally

Revived, maybe. Bunch of characters got killed in Deception, but they were back for Armageddon. Johnny was dead in MK3 as I recall, but he was well-alive in the next couple of games. I don't think I'd take death as being permanent in this series.

In fact in the previous timeline, the only ones I recall being affected by it to some extent were Liu Kang being turned into a zombie, and edgy Raiden. I wouldn't be too against it tbh, after how ham-fisted and comical their deaths were.

lol, oh man, I've been having this complaint since Deadly Alliance. Don't get me wrong, I'm not too bothered by it since it was PS2 days, but then I look at MK vs DC and MK9 and just w o w

I'm kind of hoping for them to bring back some characters that didn't appear until the 3D games, and give them a whole new look. Always thought some like Nitara could've been better if the engine didn't look so fugly, and they gave them better moves. Did always dig Drahmin and Fujin.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
Unless you're an EVO type tournament fighter, none of those things should concern you. Especially since none of those problems were present in Injustice.
Competitive play is sort of a huge draw for fighting games. That kind of concerns a lot of people who would consider purchasing it.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Saw this the other day. Really looking forward to it, although it worries me a bit that it's coming out on last gen consoles as well (meaning the current gen versions have most likely been compromised). The music of the trailer is garbage and I'm glad that most MK fans seem to agree on that. Rap doesn't fit the MK universe.

I agree with quiteMAD. The reboot was amazing. Apart from the stupid plot twist that killed off 75% of everyone's favourite characters, which I'm seriously hoping will be retconned in some way, the game was pretty much perfect.

Also, Mortal Kombat was never really a competitive fighter. Sure, you can get fairly technical and there is skill involved too, but unlike let's say Virtua Fighter the series was always meant to be entertaining and easy for just about anyone to just pick up and play. It's a bit like comparing Gran Turismo and Ridge Racer. One is clearly a bit more on the fun side and great for parties while the other is a game you dedicate a lot of time playing to develop skill.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
is that a new mask for sub-zero? finally
Yeah! And it actually looks chinese, for once.

Revived, maybe. Bunch of characters got killed in Deception, but they were back for Armageddon. Johnny was dead in MK3 as I recall, but he was well-alive in the next couple of games. I don't think I'd take death as being permanent in this series.

In fact in the previous timeline, the only ones I recall being affected by it to some extent were Liu Kang being turned into a zombie, and edgy Raiden. I wouldn't be too against it tbh, after how ham-fisted and comical their deaths were.
The thing is, the old games didn't have a singular story mode and the Konquest modes didn't really kill any main characters. That's part of why everyone was so crazy about MK9's story mode; nobody ever did that before, even Boon. They could just ignore it happened, yeah, but I feel like that would take away what MK9's story mode did for the future of fighting games.

I'm kind of hoping for them to bring back some characters that didn't appear until the 3D games, and give them a whole new look. Always thought some like Nitara could've been better if the engine didn't look so fugly, and they gave them better moves. Did always dig Drahmin and Fujin.

Yeah I really loved Kenshi's rebooted look, I'm looking forward to seeing guys like Fujin and Shinnok.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
The best possible retcon would be to have Raiden give up his soul to bring all of the dead warriors back to life.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
The thing is, the old games didn't have a singular story mode and the Konquest modes didn't really kill any main characters. That's part of why everyone was so crazy about MK9's story mode; nobody ever did that before, even Boon. They could just ignore it happened, yeah, but I feel like that would take away what MK9's story mode did for the future of fighting games.

What is the difference? Other than presentation, what about that story mode where they killed off a bunch of characters is supposed to so important towards the future of fighting games? Because I'm not seeing any other fighting games killing off their characters.

Are we seeing an increased focus on story modes that wouldn't already have been happening without MK9? No, certain games like Dead or Alive had already been steadily increasing how much they flesh out their story mode. Is it something that hadn't been done before? Other than killing off a bunch of its characters (that will be most likely revived at one point or another), not really. MK vs DC already featured a similar story mode so there was no breaking ground in that aspect. And frankly, I think it's an approach that doesn't really work.

But I think the important question to ask if it's even important, or necessary because a lot fighting games are heavily community-based where competitive play is the main draw. Nothing wrong with some games being more casual, and having a story mode like that. But I don't think anything about MK9's was special.

Roronoa Zoro

Always on the lookout for aliens
Don't really see why you should care but I might b
Boon says that the X has multiple meanings. Could be a crossover title. Maybe mortal kombat x dc 2? That would be better than an injustice sequel that was rumored. I want to play both Mk and injustice but having both out in the same year would force me to choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back