• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The World That Never Was in KH2 and KH3D

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

unbound_word

After KH2, was the Organization's world destroyed and later rebuilt? Or did it go to sleep and never got completely destroyed?

Gram

Banned
Awards
— In the latter half of The World That Never Was, despite returning to the real world, why do Sora and co. stay in that form and why do Dream Eaters appear etc?

Nomura: Sora and co.’s form is due to Yen Sid’s magic, so the way it works is that they can’t turn back until they return to the Mysterious Tower, and Dream Eaters were appearing because Sora was still asleep. Also, ever since Organisation XIII was defeated in KH2, the The World That Never Was’
existence as a world has become uncertain. In the first place, the worlds in the rift between darkness and light have different rules than other worlds. The Mysterious Tower isn’t always standing in a fixed place. Traverse Town too reforms its shape every time, which is why the version that appears in this title is clearly different than the version in KH1.

To be simple, it's because the world itself exists within a special space. Because of this it exists in both dream and the real world.

Which is why Riku and Sora both visit a dream version of TWTNW and a real one. When Sora first goes to TWTNW it's the real one but Xigbar and the other Norts send him back into sleep where he then travels through a dream version.

Riku, in reverse, first arrives in a dream version of the world then later emerges in the real one after beating Ansem.

Why it's not destroyed like it should be likely has to do with this special rules it and other similar worlds like Traverse Town go by.

Last edited:

Gram

Banned
Awards
Given the level of destruction I doubt Xehanort could rebuild it in the short span between kh2 and DDD nor do I see him having much motivation too.

Plus given Nomura's comparison of it to Traverse Town I'd say it's likely the world itself was the cause of it's restored state.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Considering the castle itself was able to take the form of a draconian airship (and if you count concept arts, a titanic humanoid and a centaur-like entity), it's really not a far-fetched guess that the castle is a "living" world on its own that can restore and destroy itself as it deems fit.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
I thought the Organization was based on Twilight Town...that was my impression, at least.

Twilight Town just so happens to be right within that area where The World That Never Was is situated at. There are several sections of that area with Twilight Town occupying the section that is left in perpetual twilight. The World That Never Was being situated in an area of perpetual night, and the Mysterious Tower being sort of inbetween IIRC.

Jadentheman

Bronze Member
It's strange that Mysterious Tower and TWTNW can function as these special traveling worlds ala Traverse Town

I suspect Twilight Town, LOD/CO, and Daybreak town can also function like this as well.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Considering the castle itself was able to take the form of a draconian airship (and if you count concept arts, a titanic humanoid and a centaur-like entity), it's really not a far-fetched guess that the castle is a "living" world on its own that can restore and destroy itself as it deems fit.

Given every world has it's own heart (and memories clearly by DDD), it's definitely possible that the heart manifest itself as different beings for TWTNW. It's a cool thought that some worlds can transform themselves at will.

Gram

Banned
Awards
It's strange that Mysterious Tower and TWTNW can function as these special traveling worlds ala Traverse Town

I suspect Twilight Town, LOD/CO, and Daybreak town can also function like this as well.

I doubt Twilight Town or Lod work in this manner since they were once described as being of the realm between rather than being explained as moving worlds like Traverse Town.

Though if LoD could move it would certainly be a better defense than it just sitting in one place. (since it's, for whatever reason, a place that must be guarded)

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I doubt Twilight Town or Lod work in this manner since they were once described as being of the realm between rather than being explained as moving worlds like Traverse Town.

Though if LoD could move it would certainly be a better defense than it just sitting in one place. (since it's, for whatever reason, a place that must be guarded)

The World that never was and Traverse Town are also worlds of the In-between realm just like Mysterious Tower, Twilight Town and LoD/Castle Oblivion.

Nomura indicated that all worlds of the between realm follow some special rules so the possibility of them working the same way is still there.

Nomura once described even how they relate and which ones are closer to light or darkness:
Director's secret report said:
At present, there are 4 worlds in between these planes that have appeared. A) Castle Oblivion, B)Twilight Town, C) Yen Cid's Tower, and D) The World That Never Was. Constructed in this manner, Light < C < B > A > D > Darkness, you can imagine 2 planes with stairs ranging between the worlds.
Interestingly, he doesn't mention Traverse Town among them and also doesn't place it in the light <=> darkness-range.

I remember there were also several theories/claims that the Keyblade Graveyard is an in-between world as well, but I couldn't find anything regarding this in game- or interview-material.

On world's moving, I thought that would be a given for any world out there. In space, nothing stands ever still, even galaxies move around in the vast void, so I would think that holds true for any world as well.
Of course, most worlds would be confined to move in their own realm except for those special cases from the between and Traverse Town.
This would also easily explain why the "overworld-map" (which is in actuality something like a solar system or galaxy) is different and the worlds placed differently in each new KH-game, cause the worlds move.

Gram

Banned
Awards
The World that never was and Traverse Town are also worlds of the In-between realm just like Mysterious Tower, Twilight Town and LoD/Castle Oblivion.

Nomura indicated that all worlds of the between realm follow some special rules so the possibility of them working the same way is still there.

Nomura once described even how they relate and which ones are closer to light or darkness:

Interestingly, he doesn't mention Traverse Town among them and also doesn't place it in the light <=> darkness-range.

I remember there were also several theories/claims that the Keyblade Graveyard is an in-between world as well, but I couldn't find anything regarding this in game- or interview-material.

On world's moving, I thought that would be a given for any world out there. In space, nothing stands ever still, even galaxies move around in the vast void, so I would think that holds true for any world as well.
Of course, most worlds would be confined to move in their own realm except for those special cases from the between and Traverse Town.
This would also easily explain why the "overworld-map" (which is in actuality something like a solar system or galaxy) is different and the worlds placed differently in each new KH-game, cause the worlds move.

Traverse Town has never been listed or described as a world between though, only that it goes to those needing shelter. If anything that makes it more of a multi-realm world as it never just resides in one.
Which seems to be supported by your very nomura link since he didnt even place it like the others.

I seen no such implication, he only pointed out three. If anything I think it'd more accurate to say there are potentially many worlds that follow special rules rather than it applying specifically to in between ones.

Thats because the graveyards status has never officially been touched on so sadly I doubt we'd find anything. =[

It is possible they all move about, or maybe even simply drift, though applying real world laws to them would be stretching it me thinks given that all you need to travel theough khs space is a vehicle. (unlike the vaccum that exists in our world)
I just attrbuted the world map to aesthetic difference or due to the fact the world was thrown off kilter pre-kh1 and restored post kh1, sorta like a reorganization as they repaired.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Traverse Town has never been listed or described as a world between though, only that it goes to those needing shelter. If anything that makes it more of a multi-realm world as it never just resides in one.
Which seems to be supported by your very nomura link since he didnt even place it like the others.

I seen no such implication, he only pointed out three.

How quick we seem to forget the Ansem Reports.

My friend has been fighting in the realm of darkness. Most likely he found his way there through Traverse Town. Like Castle Oblivion, that village also rests in a cleft between light and dark. It consists of the remnants of worlds whose hearts have been stolen by the Heartless. It is where those who have barely escaped the destruction of their worlds eventually find themselves. This "realm between" is quite unstable with corridors of darkness appearing from time to time. Whenever a world disappears, some of its inhabitants must arrive through these corridors. Surely Sora traveled these same corridors of darkness when he first came to Traverse Town.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
I'm not so sure about the physical whereabouts of Traverse Town, although Ienzo also said that it's situated in the "realm between".

Ienzo in DDD said:
I highly doubt it. When someone who's lost their heart is recompleted, they should return to the place where it happened. And if that world is unavailable for whatever reason, a refuge is made for them in the realm between--a world called "Traverse Town." They would be sent there. Or perhaps--

Whether or not "realm between" means RoIB, I don't know. What I do know is that this world is one that seems to be able to form and deform any time, perhaps just like TWTNW, and is there to act solely as a safe haven.

Gram

Banned
Awards
The realm between does mean RoiB. (as that's the only between)
I'm just trying to point out that Traverse Town may be more than just a world of the realm between since it wasn't included in Nomura's world of between placement Sephiroth0812 quoted.

Though in the end it may not matter, it was more of an inkling than actual theory.
Though I do still think worlds with special rules aren't unique to only the realm between. (given how many there are I'd be unwise to rule out the possibility)

Twilight Town is a good example, it's also between realms but hasn't shown to follow any special rules or to move about like Yen Sids Tower or Traverse Town do.

perhaps just like TWTNW, and is there to act solely as a safe haven.
I think it may be both, it's both like TWTNW and it's acting on it's nature to act as a haven.

How quick we seem to forget the Ansem Reports.
We're all guilty of it every now and then, even you~

Last edited:

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
The Ansem Reports and Ienzo's statements do however point towards Traverse being an in-between world as well.
However, that doesn't contradict it being able to traverse (lol, lame pun) between realms as that could be as easily another one of its special properties. Just like TWTNW can be in two realms at once, Traverse Town can move between realms or in more than one as well.

Their origin being in the RoiB is what enables these special abilities, but that doesn't mean they're confined to the Realm of in-Between.

That Nomura didn't include Traverse in his listing in the Director's secret report may have been an oversight or simply because Traverse played no role in KH 2 (FM) whatsever, and that's where this report comes from.

RoXi

wasn't LoD transformed into Castle Oblivion by Aqua to protect Ven's body?

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Before that, LoD was a hallowed ground that had to be protected. That's what he meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back