• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Castle Slide in Deep Jungle

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Veritas7340

When Jane is showing the slides, Sora ponders why the castle looks familiar even though he's never been outside of his island before. I think that this could have an ambiguous interpretation.

1) It could be foreshadowing of Hollow Bastion. When Sora was having a dream in the very beginning, Riku being engulfed by the waves was precisely foreshadowing of when Riku exited Destiny Islands via darkness.

If anyone's ever seen Fringe, the show has the sci-fi theory of time in which everything happens at once and we're only able to perceive some of it. The Observers in the show were able to perceive all of it as once and "move" through it.

2) Sora could be recognizing Land of Departure since Ven's heart is taking refuge there

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
This is another one of those things that's been tossed around the fandom for quite a few years but has a very simple answer: Kairi's heart was resonating within Sora. The castle reminded her of the one in Hollow Bastion and her feelings were strong enough that Sora felt them.

The same thing happens when Sora actually does get to Hollow Bastion as he feels that he'd somehow been there before even though he never left his island.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
It's Kairi's heart reacting inside Sora, just like the visions he sees of her sometimes or some of her memories like the library scene with her grandma.

It's impossible to have anything to do with Ven because Sora's heart has no access to anything concerning Ventus, including his memories.

The in-universe explanation is that Ven's heart is sleeping and inactive, thus anything relating to him is sealed away and inaccessible.
The first time Ven's heart was ever accessed (and even then only indirectly and unconsciously) was when Xion disappeared and Roxas' strong emotional breakdown caused him to accidentally access Ven's heart and unseal his Keyblade.

The outside explanation is that by the time KH 1 was made, Ventus did not even exist yet. Nomura made his first plans for BBS (and created the characters of Ven, Terra and Aqua) while he was working on KH 2.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
I find on a close viewing of KH1 that there are a lot more moments where Kairi peeks out than I ever imagined... and none of them are really rewarding? I just mistook them for unrelated mysteries and never felt a payoff when we got to the explanation because there is no obvious payoff, and I had completely forgotten the instance as being mysterious in the first place. They're not really minor subtle character bits, they really do feel like mysteries when you encounter them, but I forget them so quickly they don't matter?

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
I find on a close viewing of KH1 that there are a lot more moments where Kairi peeks out than I ever imagined... and none of them are really rewarding? I just mistook them for unrelated mysteries and never felt a payoff when we got to the explanation because there is no obvious payoff, and I had completely forgotten the instance as being mysterious in the first place. They're not really minor subtle character bits, they really do feel like mysteries when you encounter them, but I forget them so quickly they don't matter?

Aside from an instance or two they're just foreshadowing. Which is a shame because they could've taken advantage of the fact that Kairi's heart being in Sora's meant we could see her memories and they could interact to develop her a bit more, but alas. They spent most of those scenes having Kairi "haunt" him making the audience think he's lossing it instead.

Last edited:

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards
When Jane is showing the slides, Sora ponders why the castle looks familiar even though he's never been outside of his island before. I think that this could have an ambiguous interpretation.

1) It could be foreshadowing of Hollow Bastion. When Sora was having a dream in the very beginning, Riku being engulfed by the waves was precisely foreshadowing of when Riku exited Destiny Islands via darkness.

If anyone's ever seen Fringe, the show has the sci-fi theory of time in which everything happens at once and we're only able to perceive some of it. The Observers in the show were able to perceive all of it as once and "move" through it.

2) Sora could be recognizing Land of Departure since Ven's heart is taking refuge there

I remember I was super confused the first time I played that part. xD But it is just Kairi's heart reacting to the slide.

The same thing happens when Sora actually does get to Hollow Bastion as he feels that he'd somehow been there before even though he never left his island.

But as Donald explains Sora was just hungry then. xD

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
I do understand why at the time Kairi wasn't fully fleshed out more since, when KH1 was being made, it wasn't possible to know if it would succeed and more games would follow. So I do get Nomura's choice at the time to not utilize the whole concept of exploring her memories. All of his choices since in terms of her development...not so much.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
When I saw this thread, I was confused. Was there a castle part in Deep Jungle's jungle slide? It turns out that the OP was speaking of the visual slides.

Everything has been explained so clearly by the others, that it's simply the result of Kairi's heart which was then present within Sora's reacting to the visuals. The fact that Kairi hailed from what was then Hollow Bastion was also foreshadowed by "flashback" Sora went through in Traverse Town near the end of the game, where he floated in the background listening to the tale of the children's heart being told by Kairi's grandmother. That "flashback" showed the library of the castle which later on you can access from the Entrance Hall.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
This should just be the explanation for every confusing plot device in Kingdom Hearts

All hail Donald, the ultimate wisdom in the Kingdom Hearts universe. Not even Xehanort can match Donalds simple but remarkable intellect. ;P

Or to say it in his words:
Donald Duck said:
Aw, what do you know, you big palooka?

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards
When I saw this thread, I was confused. Was there a castle part in Deep Jungle's jungle slide? It turns out that the OP was speaking of the visual slides.

That's what I thought when I first saw the thread title. xD

This should just be the explanation for every confusing plot device in Kingdom Hearts

I think you're right.

All hail Donald, the ultimate wisdom in the Kingdom Hearts universe. Not even Xehanort can match Donalds simple but remarkable intellect. ;P

Or to say it in his words:

Might be the best thing i've read in a while. xD

Ventus_

Awards
Personally I see this event as a Xion sort of moment.

In 358/2 Days the character of Xion was a replica Nobody created and designed to mimic Roxas' abilities (including that to use the keyblade) but instead absorbed Sora's memories of Kairi and essentially became a reflection of Kairi. As a result she feels like her memories of Sora are her own such as when she'd felt like she'd once been on the beach with someone (the memory in reference being when Sora awoke from 'The Awakening' portion of KH1 and was startled by Kairi who proceeded to tease him about nodding off.)

In KH1 it is revealed in the climax that Kairi's lost heart was within Sora, a revelation that is actually foreshadowed in Deep Jungle via Tarzan's statement which was not able to be fully translated from gorilla until the keyhole is sealed. So when he recognized that photo of the castle my head canon is that he's experiencing Kairi's subconscious memory of Hallow Bastian, her home world, that the photo had triggered that piece of Kairi that is within him. It's like he said, he'd never left Destiny Islands until now. Thus another way in which Deep Jungle was foreshadowing the Hallow Bastian climax.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back