• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Is it possible that the Guardians of Light will be entirely new characters?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

blksabbath74

Per Wikipedia

>Sora will once again be the protagonist of the game. The game will also see the return of Riku, Donald Duck, Goofy, and >King Mickey, as well as the inclusion of familiar Disney characters. Continuing from Dream Drop Distance,[7] Sora, Donald >and Goofy will attempt to search for seven guardians of light and the "Key to Return Hearts", while King Mickey and Riku >search for previous Keyblade wielders, in an attempt to stop Master Xehanort's plan to balance the light and darkness,[8] >which may ultimately lead to the final showdown between Sora and Master Xehanort.[9]
>The game will feature new and familiar worlds based on Disney properties,[8] and will serve as the final chapter of the >"Dark Seeker" saga.[7]

It seems like they are saying that Sora will be seeking 7 GoL while Riku and Mickey try to save Aqua, Terra and Ventus.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Unless the claims trace back to a credible source, I wouldn't stake my trust on Wikipedia. Anyone can edit the articles and cases of false information and vandalism have happened in the past.

Working under the assumption that the GoL will all be Keyblade wielders, I don't suppose there will be any new characters among the ranks. Even with the current characters, there's a surplus of Keyblade wielders who are likely candidates to be guardians; we have the main trio, the BbS trio, Mickey, Riku, Lea, and potentially Roxas and Xion. That makes 11 of them, which can buffer up to 4 missing heads before someone else has to fill in.

Besides, I'm not quite sure if introducing an entirely new character just for this purpose is a good move on the writers' part. They would have to create a whole backstory for him / her to explain about various things, especially where he / she fits in all this affair and why he / she should be one of the GoL. It's not impossible, but it's just that it might probably not be a wise decision.

blksabbath74

I was also under the impression that all the GoL would be Keyblade Weilders, but what if they are something else entirely.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
The text is valid though that's the official short summary of the story revealed in one of the E3 Nomura interviews.

Since it is as of now unknown who really will be the seven guardians (everything in DDD, from Mickey's counting up the candidates right to Kairi's appearance in the secret ending are only possibilities, no one so far is 100% confirmed, not even Riku, Sora and Mickey although the likeliness is pretty high), it can really be anyone, although this statement being an early vague summary can also easily mean that there are not all things spelled out completely. It can also easily mean that Sora, Donald and Goofy will go and look for the Princesses of Heart in order to keep them safe from Xehanort. Since they are out searching for that ominous key they have to travel the worlds anyways, so that would come hand in hand.

Riku and Mickey only try to find previous Keyblade Wielders though, emphasis being on "find". Sora is the only one who can actually save them, that has been stated more than once. Beside that, out of the BBS Trio the only one to be actually possible to be saved by those two may be Aqua.
They know absolutely nothing about Terra and saving Ventus is impossible without Sora.

Since this is the final conflict between Xehanort and Sora as well as everyone he ever screwed over, as implied here:
DDD Ultimania said:
Q. The decisions about Xehanort and revivals from sleep.
Not counting Terra and his friends, there are Roxas, Namine and Xion as well, all lying in sleep as they wait for their sadness to be mended. If they wake up, they'll come to Sora's aid, right? Surely they'll put an end to their long-lasting battle with Xehanort the next time.... won't they?!
I doubt there will be any completely new characters that have been never seen before. Not in a season/saga finale were any completely new character would just get in the way and steal screentime from a cast that is already as big as it is.

horto12485

Awards
New Characters as The Guardians of Light but we thought That Sora, Mickey, Riku, Kairi, Ven, Aqua and Lea are the Seven Guardians why New Characters as Guardians of Light?

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
New Characters as The Guardians of Light but we thought That Sora, Mickey, Riku, Kairi, Ven, Aqua and Lea are the Seven Guardians why New Characters as Guardians of Light?

As Sephy explained, none of the lights are confirmed, they're only speculated. The OP was just curious because of the way something was stated.

G-SANtos

Awards
I doubt there will be any completely new characters that have been never seen before. Not in a season/saga finale were any completely new character would just get in the way and steal screentime from a cast that is already as big as it is.
Actually, to it seems like there's no way to not in introduce new characters. I go more in detail here, but long story short, Nomura said this:

Nomura said:
The process of the wielders coming together will be the main storyline, but one of the highlights of the climax is going to be who is part of the seven lights and thirteen darkness when they get to the final battle. Would it be as everyone expected, or will there be unexpected members added to the mix? That is something to look forward to.
Which means that who are the seven and thirteen will only be revealed in the final battle. Which means not even the current members of Organization XIII are all confirmed.

For "surprise members", to me that seems to mean that people we wouldn't expect to redempt, like Young Xehanort or Vanitas for example, would become a light, and people who we wouldn't expect to side with Xehanort being a darkness. While we have some characters in the "to be redempted" list (which I think would be redempted before the final battle), we don't have a "to be corrupted" list, and it wouldn't make sense for Nomura to suddenly make any of the heroes into villains. The best I could come up with would be norting the Lingering Will since that thing barely has a personality of its own and currently doesn't have anything that can make the players sympathize with him. So the only way around it would be introducing some new ambiguous characters, or characters pretending to be good, who at the end reveal to be evil.

Plus, even ignoring my "multiple treasons" theory, we don't have enough evil characters to fit the unknown members of the Organization. We have seven empty seats, six of them filled by unrevealed people. Terra is implied to be somewhere, so that goes one. Vanitas and Riku Replica are often theorized to be among them, which if correct would still leave us three, although I'm unsure on whether they would bring back the Riku Replica.
Marluxia and Larxene were traitors, and ordered to be eliminated, therefore we can scratch them. Ienzo and the others weren't picked up, so we can scratch them too. Demyx didn't show norting signs, and is the weakest member of the group, so he is almost scratched.
Luxord is... pretty ambiguous. He has yellow eyes, but no pointy ears, and Nomura basically denied him a backstory so far, like the other three members, so I'm not sure if he's that important to the story. But if he is, he still leaves two seats. What would you fill the other two seats with, and also the empty one for that matter? I doubt a Disney character would be a Xehanort, and I can't think of any other known non-original evil character who is not listed here. The best I can come up with is Xehanort creating a Data-Xehanort, but that only fills one seat.

Unless the claims trace back to a credible source, I wouldn't stake my trust on Wikipedia. Anyone can edit the articles and cases of false information and vandalism have happened in the past.
You do realize that Wikipedia, and Wikis as well, have things called "citations", don't you? They are there exactly so that people can check the info. "Anyone can edit" is not a good argument for whether a site is trustable or not, provided there are citations to reliable sources (and you can verify the claims), the site can be trustworthy. Also, false info and vandalism are anomalies, and they are one of the reasons there are admins to maintain the order.

Working under the assumption that the GoL will all be Keyblade wielders, I don't suppose there will be any new characters among the ranks. Even with the current characters, there's a surplus of Keyblade wielders who are likely candidates to be guardians; we have the main trio, the BbS trio, Mickey, Riku, Lea, and potentially Roxas and Xion. That makes 11 of them, which can buffer up to 4 missing heads before someone else has to fill in.
Nomura said in an interview that the guardians don't need to be Keyblade wielders.

Besides, I'm not quite sure if introducing an entirely new character just for this purpose is a good move on the writers' part. They would have to create a whole backstory for him / her to explain about various things, especially where he / she fits in all this affair and why he / she should be one of the GoL. It's not impossible, but it's just that it might probably not be a wise decision.
How about simply "I don't want darkness to overtake the world"? Backstories can be interesting, but they don't need to be very detailed for the character to fit. Demyx and Luxord fitted well in KHII's plot and we know very little about them, in fact, their backstories for how they fit there were simply "I lost my heart and want it back". Same thing with Marluxia and Larxene.

Even the Leon and others had simple backstories: "I survived my world's (incomplete) destruction, and I'm here to help prevent the same thing from happening to the entire universe". So, again, we don't need very big or detailed backstories for the characters to work.

Last edited:

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
For "surprise members", to me that seems to mean that people we wouldn't expect to redempt, like Young Xehanort or Vanitas for example, would become a light, and people who we wouldn't expect to side with Xehanort being a darkness. While we have some characters in the "to be redempted" list (which I think would be redempted before the final battle), we don't have a "to be corrupted" list, and it wouldn't make sense for Nomura to suddenly make any of the heroes into villains. The best I could come up with would be norting the Lingering Will since that thing barely has a personality of its own and currently doesn't have anything that can make the players sympathize with him. So the only way around it would be introducing some new ambiguous characters, or characters pretending to be good, who at the end reveal to be evil.

While I highly doubt YX and Vanitas will ever become light (I know you just used them for sake of example) it's entirely possible that Nomura's definition of "surprise" and our definition are vastly different. Given the KH fanbase has already guessed so many of the turning points of the series before the games even came out, I don't see it as too far fetched if it happened again. I do think the 13 will be interesting since, as you said, we really can't even think of 13 really plausible ones now, but I cannot see certain villains turning into GoL given we still need to come up with 13 as it is.

You do realize that Wikipedia, and Wikis as well, have things called "citations", don't you? They are there exactly so that people can check the info. "Anyone can edit" is not a good argument for whether a site is trustable or not, provided there are citations to reliable sources (and you can verify the claims), the site can be trustworthy. Also, false info and vandalism are anomalies, and they are one of the reasons there are admins to maintain the order.

Citations or not, it can still easily be forged. For example, my friend once edited his name into the Fall Out Boy Wiki as a member and it stayed there for 2 days, he was a part of Fall Out Boy for 2 days (according to Wikipedia) and there was no citation necessary. If it's possible to do stuff like that, wikis (with citations or not) are still not credible merely because someone has that type of power. Most people don't cross reference the stuff on the page and the citation anyways.

How about simply "I don't want darkness to overtake the world"? Backstories can be interesting, but they don't need to be very detailed for the character to fit. Demyx and Luxord fitted well in KHII's plot and we know very little about them, in fact, their backstories for how they fit there were simply "I lost my heart and want it back". Same thing with Marluxia and Larxene.

Given the 7 GoL are the major players for light in KH3, I'd very much prefer if my character had a backstory and "I don't want darkness to overtake the world" isn't going to cut it since everyone on the GoL side has that backstory. Demyx and Luxord fit into the plot of KH2 because they were there, but overall, they really aren't very developed characters and it's very hard to actually feel bad or happy for either of them because, even after Days, we still know barely anything about them. If Nomura wants us to actually fear and feel emotions for these characters, a backstory is pretty vital, something more than just "I don't like darkness so I'm just kind of here, yay let me help defeat MX now!"

Even the Leon and others had simple backstories: "I survived my world's (incomplete) destruction, and I'm here to help prevent the same thing from happening to the entire universe". So, again, we don't need very big or detailed backstories for the characters to work.

Leon is a pre-established character from FF (even if he's a different version of him). It's kind of why we can visit these Disney worlds and just jump right in and either love them or dislike them, because we know their whole story (from the movies). I think Solosis was referring to making a brand new, newly designed character just jump into the mix and all of sudden we're supposed to care for them as much as we do SRK, TAV, MDG, LRX, etc.

G-SANtos

Awards
While I highly doubt YX and Vanitas will ever become light (I know you just used them for sake of example)
I actually think there are chances for them, as I mentioned in the post I linked, with YX being more likely than Vanitas. Ben Diskin said he was instructed to voice YX as not particularly evil.
Ben Diskin said:
Oh, no actually, I sounded too evil at first because he seems just kind of a "Sephiroth-type" character, you know like, evil, brooding guy, and basically the direction I was getting from them was mostly, "Make him a lot more flat and ambiguous because even though he is the younger version of the game's ultimate villain, we don't actually know if he's actually a 'bad guy'. You know, people are different when they're younger than when they are older so, is he really actually on the bad guy's side? Is he actually, maybe he's considering he doesn't actually like who he becomes? So we don't want him to just sound like evil right off the bat. " That was my tendency because I just wanted to make him dark and villainous, and they said "Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa no. Tone it back then."
Which makes me think he'll join the light in the end of KHIII. I even think that after the final battle they might use the Key to Return Hearts to transfer his mind and a piece of his heart to a new body so that he can get a new life while at the same time returning to the past to accomplish his fate. I mean, given KH's themes of redemption and second chances, if YX is really not evil, it would be tragic leave a bad taste to simply have him return to the past without any chance of doing things right, since we know the past can't be changed.

For Vanitas, that could represent the phrase "Even in the deepest darkness, there's always a light that never goes out", but my theory simply relies on whether Nomura wants to use the idea presented in the novels, which I find it less likely than YX.

it's entirely possible that Nomura's definition of "surprise" and our definition are vastly different. Given the KH fanbase has already guessed so many of the turning points of the series before the games even came out, I don't see it as too far fetched if it happened again. I do think the 13 will be interesting since, as you said, we really can't even think of 13 really plausible ones now, but I cannot see certain villains turning into GoL given we still need to come up with 13 as it is.
Well, we don't even have much info on the game, so most guesses and theories at this point are shots in the dark anyway.

Citations or not, it can still easily be forged. For example, my friend once edited his name into the Fall Out Boy Wiki as a member and it stayed there for 2 days, he was a part of Fall Out Boy for 2 days (according to Wikipedia) and there was no citation necessary. If it's possible to do stuff like that, wikis (with citations or not) are still not credible merely because someone has that type of power.
Just like people's signatures, and yet banks don't find them unreliable just because of that. Therefore, it's stupid to claim Wikis are ultimately less accurate than official sources just based on that. Technically, even a fan interview can be forged, but you don't see me accusing KHInsider of forging that Ben Diskin interview, nor KaenKazui of lying about e-mailing the Digimon writers.

You don't accuse something's veracity simply because there are people who forge stuff.

Most people don't cross reference the stuff on the page and the citation anyways.
That's their problem, not the Wiki's. Saying otherwise is like blaming the owner of a property for the trespassers when there are signs reading "Do not trespass", or blaming the city for there being people parking in spots meant for disabled people when there is clear signaling that the spot is meant for disabled people.

And, not to be harsh or anything, but if you were aware of the edit during those 2 days, then you are as responsible as your friend for the false info being there, as you didn't correct it. Anyone being aware of false info in a Wiki and not correcting it despite knowing it's false is responsible for the Wiki having false info.

Given the 7 GoL are the major players for light in KH3, I'd very much prefer if my character had a backstory and "I don't want darkness to overtake the world" isn't going to cut it since everyone on the GoL side has that backstory. Demyx and Luxord fit into the plot of KH2 because they were there, but overall, they really aren't very developed characters and it's very hard to actually feel bad or happy for either of them because, even after Days, we still know barely anything about them. If Nomura wants us to actually fear and feel emotions for these characters, a backstory is pretty vital, something more than just "I don't like darkness so I'm just kind of here, yay let me help defeat MX now!"
We could simply have stuff like the character appearing, saving Sora and friends or risking/being willing to sacrifice themselves for Sora and friends, and helping them or demonstrating friendship many times. Wouldn't that work? There are ways to make the audience care for characters without needing to give them backstories.

Actually, we could even have a comic relief character whose motivation is "I don't want darkness to overtake the world, because then it would be too dark to see anyhting, and I would trip all the time". Yes, that's an extreme example, and a jokey one that I doubt will happen, but it's a valid differentiation from the others.

sonickenshin

Awards
EDIT: Never mind, I fail at reading. >> Revising my statement. In my original post, I said the whole redemption thing won't work with Young Xehanort wouldn't work, since it'd cause it might cause the biggest paradox ever, but I didn't read clearly enough to the rest of his post. Sorry about that. That'll teach me not to post things right away. >>

Which makes me think he'll join the light in the end of KHIII. I even think that after the final battle they might use the Key to Return Hearts to transfer his mind and a piece of his heart to a new body so that he can get a new life while at the same time returning to the past to accomplish his fate. I mean, given KH's themes of redemption and second chances, if YX is really not evil, it would be tragic leave a bad taste to simply have him return to the past without any chance of doing things right, since we know the past can't be changed.
I guess if you put it that way, it might work I guess.

I rather it not happen though. I kinda want to see Nomura actually off a character and never bring them back because of the fan popularity or something, so that they can actually bring out some new characters. ...that and I never really bought that Young Xehanort wasn't evil. They could probably still redeem him, but I dunno.

Last edited:

Solo

Silver Member
Awards

Just like people's signatures, and yet banks don't find them unreliable just because of that. Therefore, it's stupid to claim Wikis are ultimately less accurate than official sources just based on that. Technically, even a fan interview can be forged, but you don't see me accusing KHInsider of forging that Ben Diskin interview, nor KaenKazui of lying about e-mailing the Digimon writers.

You don't accuse something's veracity simply because there are people who forge stuff.

I'm not saying that I don't trust Wikipedia. I said, unless there's a credible source, I won't be so quick to trust what's in it. In this case, the source is valid, so that's alright.

Admins present or not, they are also human and can't be expected to scour every single article quickly to weed out false information, which is why we have cases like what kupo told us. Thus, as you said, the onus is on the reader to cross-reference. This is precisely why professors really discourage citing Wikipedia for paper- or journal-writing; deep-dive to the sources and cite them instead.

And it's precisely because there are people who forge stuff that you have to be cautious whether something is true or not, which is why both you and I agree here that cross-referencing is the best course of action.

But we aren't here to talk about the validity of information contained within Wikipedia, so let's move on.

We could simply have stuff like the character appearing, saving Sora and friends or risking/being willing to sacrifice themselves for Sora and friends, and helping them or demonstrating friendship many times. Wouldn't that work? There are ways to make the audience care for characters without needing to give them backstories.

Actually, we could even have a comic relief character whose motivation is "I don't want darkness to overtake the world, because then it would be too dark to see anyhting, and I would trip all the time". Yes, that's an extreme example, and a jokey one that I doubt will happen, but it's a valid differentiation from the others.

It's true that Demyx and Luxord didn't have much of a backstory to begin with, and that's the part where Days could have done better if you ask me. The game was supposed to touch on the backgrounds of the members, but those two were lacklustre compared to the other members who gained at least a decent portion of backstories on their part.

And about fitting well... it's more like they're solely there in KH2 to fill in the blanks, in that they aren't really all that important, which is unfortunate. Their roles differ from those of the likes of Saix who was manipulating Sora to free more hearts, or Axel who reneged from the Organization and kinapped Kairi in hopes of using her to turn Sora back into Heartless so that Roxas could return... they don't simply fit into the story, they integrate.

Of course it's valid, and I'm not denying the possibility of a new original character to be present among their ranks. It's that I doubt that it would happen. Backstory and motivations are as important as any, and exploring those of an entirely new cast member would be a showstealer that could possibly shift the focus from the urgent threat at hand. Doing so will potentially cause the storyline quality to suffer.

Having a new person be a GoL with "I don't want the worlds to fall into darkness!" as their motivation of enrolment is, pardon my choice of word, too shallow a reason. Questions will abound: what are his relations to Sora? How did she know about Xehanort? There's also the question about at which point into the game they should be introduced. Handled improperly, they could very well be Gary Stus / Mary Stus, dei ex machina who appear out of nowhere and possessing exceptionally broad intelligence and repertoire of skills without any proper explanation as to why that is so.

It would be best for a GoL candidate to have appeared in at least one game prior in which they were involved in the plot so that they don't only fit, but also integrate.

Gram

Banned
Awards
That's their problem, not the Wiki's. Saying otherwise is like blaming the owner of a property for the trespassers when there are signs reading "Do not trespass", or blaming the city for there being people parking in spots meant for disabled people when there is clear signaling that the spot is meant for disabled people.

And, not to be harsh or anything, but if you were aware of the edit during those 2 days, then you are as responsible as your friend for the false info being there, as you didn't correct it. Anyone being aware of false info in a Wiki and not correcting it despite knowing it's false is responsible for the Wiki having false info.
Editing the wiki's would be a pointless exercise because there will always be someone that'll eventually go behind your edit and change it to what they believe is right.

It's always subject to change by anyone so going through the trouble of editing it would be pointless in the long run.

Which is why most dont take to wiki sources because they're always up to change. It's just easier, more credible, and with no worry of it being edited to find the original source for debates.
Especially on here where if it's not stated in game or out of the mouth of nomura himself it's not taken as fact.

Besides why would anyone go through the time of doing that when they can just track down the source of the info which is impossible to alter and completely credible and use for discussion?

Also the remark about being responsible for wiki also falls on your shoulders as you could just as easily edit the wikis as Kupo can so your being a bit unfair here.

EDIT::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

On topic, I'm very against a new character being introduced. The time it'd take to explain their backstory and whatever else would take away from everything that's lead up to this point which is supposed to be resolved.

Last edited:

G-SANtos

Awards
Having a new person be a GoL with "I don't want the worlds to fall into darkness!" as their motivation of enrolment is, pardon my choice of word, too shallow a reason. Questions will abound: what are his relations to Sora? How did she know about Xehanort? There's also the question about at which point into the game they should be introduced. Handled improperly, they could very well be Gary Stus / Mary Stus, dei ex machina who appear out of nowhere and possessing exceptionally broad intelligence and repertoire of skills without any proper explanation as to why that is so.
Backstories don't need a lot of scenes to be explained, the character could state his motivations fairly quickly. Their repertoire of skills could simply be explained as they having fought enemies that threatened their villages or something. Plus, the character doesn't necessarily need to have a relation to Sora or met Xehanort beforehand, they could have simply been dragged along by accident by the course of events or investigating the origins of the Heartless attacks in their world and stumbled on Xehanort's plans.

Editing the wiki's would be a pointless exercise because there will always be someone that'll eventually go behind your edit and change it to what they believe is right.

It's always subject to change by anyone so going through the trouble of editing it would be pointless in the long run.
On a similar note, why do you clean your house or wash your car? It's always going to get dirty again.

Also the remark about being responsible for wiki also falls on your shoulders
I never said it didn't.

Last edited:

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Backstories don't need a lot of scenes to be explained, the character could state his motivations fairly quickly. Their repertoire of skills could simply be explained as they having fought enemies that threatened their villages or something. Plus, the character doesn't necessarily need to have a relation to Sora or met Xehanort beforehand, they could have simply been dragged along by accident by the course of events or investigating the origins of the Heartless attacks in their world and stumbled on Xehanort's plans.

That would simply result in a poor writing quality. It's the final stretch of the story where a lot of things will be addressed, and I don't think there would be much (if not any) room left to develop an entirely new character, especially considering the fact that Kairi, a not-so-well developed character, has joined in the fray as a Keyblade wielder.

The writers of the series are not known to be able to develop main characters equally well across the board. They have put much emphasis on developing Sora and Riku throughout the games (on Riku more so than Sora, I'd say) that they seem to have all but forgotten to develop Kairi as a character. She's been around since KH1, but her screen time is laughably brief compared to other main characters.

I'm not being dismissive, I just have my doubts is all. If they neglected developing her character all this time, could we really expect without doubt that they would be able to properly develop a character who has just been introduced in the game? And will there be enough resources for that after taking into account the time and space required for Kairi's development?

Character development is more than simply putting them into the story and making them strong. They have to interact with others and form meaningful inter-character relationships. Their strengths, virtues, weaknesses, and vices have to be made apparent. Yes, you can plug in just about anyone into the plot, but without proper development, they won't become good characters, would stay disconnected with the aspects of the story, and the writing quality will suffer.

On a similar note, why do you clean your house or wash your car? It's always going to get dirty again.
I never said it didn't.

Pardon my intrusion, but I believe it'd be great if we could stop with this Wiki thing since it has nothing to do with the discussion.

Last edited:

Gram

Banned
Awards

Those are two completely different things and not even comparable. Constantly keep a wiki accurate would be pointless in a long run because it'll always be up to change.
Cleaning ones room or anything similar has to do with hygiene and other such factors, like your car lasting longer if cleaned and taken care of, which do have long term results. (Such as your car and house lasting longer or being healthier thats to the cleanly hygiene)

I never said it didn't
Your come off as otherwise when you bring up and lay fault on someone for something that you yourself are guilty of.

solosis said:
That would simply result in a poor writing quality. It's the final stretch of the story where a lot of things will be addressed, and I don't think there would be much (if not any) room left to develop an entirely new character, especially considering the fact that Kairi, a not-so-well developed character, has joined in the fray as a Keyblade wielder.

The writers of the series are not known to be able to develop main characters equally well across the board. They have put much emphasis on developing Sora and Riku throughout the games (on Riku more so than Sora, I'd say) that they seem to have all but forgotten to develop Kairi as a character. She's been around since KH1, but her screen time is laughably brief compared to other main characters.

I'm not being dismissive, I just have my doubts is all. If they neglected developing her character all this time, could we really expect without doubt that they would be able to properly develop a character who has just been introduced in the game? And will there be enough resources for that after taking into account the time and space required for Kairi's development?

Character development is more than simply putting them into the story and making them strong. They have to interact with others and form meaningful inter-character relationships. Their strengths, virtues, weaknesses, and vices have to be made apparent. Yes, you can plug in just about anyone into the plot, but without proper development, they won't become good characters, would stay disconnected with the aspects of the story, and the writing quality will suffer.
This in it's entirety. Just throwing in new characters is bad writing and, more importantly, it distracts time from things that need the screen time.

Pardon my intrusion, but I believe it'd be great if we could stop with this Wiki thing since it has nothing to do with the discussion.
Fine~

Last edited:

G-SANtos

Awards

The only reason they focused more on Sora and Riku was because they were the only ones constantly playable and they apparently weren't willing to put a lot of cutscenes that didn't have to do with what the player was facing.
However, nomura has hinted that characters other than Sora will be playable, which I take as we'll be forced out of Sora's story when the plot calls it. They could use these parts to develop the new characters, or leave hints of their backstories and go more in detail on them starting in KHIV.

Those are two completely different things and not even comparable. Constantly keep a wiki accurate would be pointless in a long run because it'll always be up to change.
Cleaning ones room or anything similar has to do with hygiene and other such factors, like your car lasting longer if cleaned and taken care of, which do have long term results. (Such as your car and house lasting longer or being healthier thats to the cleanly hygiene)
How not? Cleaning all the time is not pointless, like you said, as it has to do with the factors you listed. Similarly, keeping a Wiki accurate has to do with making it a reliable encyclopedia, just like the printed ones. Think of Wikis as large, updatable encyclopedias, as you can read them for free instead of having to constantly buy new ones when the info becomes outdated or proven wrong.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
The only reason they focused more on Sora and Riku was because they were the only ones constantly playable and they apparently weren't willing to put a lot of cutscenes that didn't have to do with what the player was facing.
However, nomura has hinted that characters other than Sora will be playable, which I take as we'll be forced out of Sora's story when the plot calls it. They could use these parts to develop the new characters, or leave hints of their backstories and go more in detail on them starting in KHIV.

Nomura has had plenty of opportunities to reveal new playable characters through side games. Aside from the ones we know, I doubt he will bring anymore new characters to the table, because we're drawing a close with the Xehanort arc. KHIII has tons of loose ends that don't need additional stuff to confuse the players. In fact, he should reveal them in a secret ending as he's done before. So, I'm against the idea of new characters being pulled out of nowhere.

How not? Cleaning all the time is not pointless, like you said, as it has to do with the factors you listed. Similarly, keeping a Wiki accurate has to do with making it a reliable encyclopedia, just like the printed ones. Think of Wikis as large, updatable encyclopedias, as you can read them for free instead of having to constantly buy new ones when the info becomes outdated or proven wrong.

Going to keep this simple: You're barking up the wrong tree. Arguing against a known fact isn't going to change anything. As many people have stated before me. Quit while your ahead.

Last edited:

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
On the general notion of KH bringing in new characters as GoL...I'd rather they not. The latter half of KH has focused on how pretty much Xehanort ruined the lives of everyone he touched and there's a whole slew of people who want to beat the snot out of him. When we have all these characters whose lives have been made miserable and we spent many game with them, learning about them and their stories, feeling for them, etc, it just seems like a cop-out to all of a sudden bring in new characters I have no reason to care about in the climax of the saga. We're nearing the end of the story, this is where things are supposed to come together and wrap up with the character getting their resolutions after much build up. KH3 is just not a place to introduce us to new characters, ones that are supposed to be super important via GoL, when we already have about two to three dozen relevant characters. it's just not necessary.

That's not really true, we've had games that didn't star Sora and Riku at all and most characters still feel pretty lackluster. We've also had games that focused on Sora and Riku, or SDG really, but still make time to divert to other characters. Though that's just occasionally. The story not willing to focus on other characters aside from the usual handful when we have over a dozen protagonists isn't good writing. At all. Just because KH tends to do this, and probably will continue to, doesn't excuse it.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
I actually think there are chances for them, as I mentioned in the post I linked, with YX being more likely than Vanitas. Ben Diskin said he was instructed to voice YX as not particularly evil.

I do recall that interview and I always thought it was because, being YX, it's better to have him be "less evil" in his early years and then see the product of what he has become as "much more evil" later on, it's just nicer to know a character went from being this lesser evil being to hardening over the years and becoming ruthless. If he was always just this incredibly evil person, to me it seems like YX and MX are almost identical (which they are since they're Xehanort, but I'd prefer if MX at least grew into a different person, which is essentially a more evil version of himself).

That was just my rationalization for it though, we won't actually know but I can't see YX becoming good only because, given he's so good at scheming, if he did not like the person he was going to become, why would he wait until the very last minute to change sides and reveal his true colors (the last minute because the final battle or darn close to it). It would make more sense to be a Devil's advocate or spy for the GoL for the time being.

For Vanitas, that could represent the phrase "Even in the deepest darkness, there's always a light that never goes out", but my theory simply relies on whether Nomura wants to use the idea presented in the novels, which I find it less likely than YX.

That doesn't necessarily apply to just Vanitas but everyone out there (including MX) since anyone who is pure darkness is pretty much a heartless.

1) Saying "not to be" almost always implies the next thing will be what you say it isn't lol It's like saying "not to be mean" followed by something mean, I don't take offense, but I'm just point that out. Also, my friend told me this years after it happened if you care to know :) If not, move on ^_^

Having someone save someone else doesn't really make me feel for them. Why are they saving Sora? How do they know who Sora is? How do they know MX's plan? Have they been investigating the whole situation or watching it from the sidelines this whole time? How have they managed to avoid detection by every Disney and main character we've ever seen thus far? Do they have some connection that allows them to know this stuff? How did they freaking get a keyblade? Who were they trained by?

There are all these questions that we don't really even fully know about the characters we have (Lea's past before Axel is a just blank slate minus that small part in BbS) so I think it's just too much.

Normally it wouldn't be (to introduce a new character), but in a game where we have Kairi learning to wield a keyblade, Sora finding the KtRH, Riku finding the other wielders, getting Sora to save them, fighting MX, finding out who the 13 VoD and 7 GoL are, visiting the Disney worlds and helping them out, possibly dealing with Maleficent, and having a successful ending to this ordeal, introducing a new character is 1 step too much.

P.S. I think Donald and Goofy provide comic relief thus far :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back