• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anime/Manga ► The Anime & Manga Dumping Ground

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
iTVXxGozzfArQ.png

Welcome to the Dumping Ground!

In an effort to concentrate all non-specific anime and manga discussion to one centralized thread, I present to you the Dumping Ground. It's your one stop thread for whatever random bit of anime or manga-related thing pops into your clearly plebeian head. Let's face it, this stuff is horrible. I mean, come on, you could be reading a book for God's sake. An actual book with no pictures. Still, some of it is less horrible than the rest. You could even say that the tiniest percentage actually reaches all the way to semi-tolerable. That means it gets its own thread (which it technically already had many of, but I'm trying to make a long-winded introduction here). And if it gets its own thread, that means you all get to talk about it, because we're told that upholding the First Amendment is good for site traffic.

So what is anime and manga? (It's housekeeping. I'm required to do this.) Sparing you the history lesson that I probably shouldn't be able to give but totally could, anime and manga are Japan's rough equivalents to the cartoons and comics of the Western world, respectively. Though not strictly-speaking the same thing, Korean manga (typically referred to as manwha) is often included in the broad category. Though there are undoubtedly trends in the industries, anime and manga offer a broad range of stories, characters, art styles, themes, etc. You can be reasonably assured that you will find at least one series you'll enjoy.

And hopefully, this thread can help you find it.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Link to Current Season: Spring 2014

Link to Next Season: Summer 2014

What this thread is for:
  • Any "what I'm watching/reading" posts
  • Opinions and recommendations
  • News that doesn't fit in any other thread or warrant a new thread
  • Questions about all things anime or manga
  • General discussion of related issues
What this thread isn't for:
  • Prolonged discussion of a specific series (especially if it has its own thread)
  • Information regarding the next upcoming season (which should be posted in the related thread)
  • Being a jerk to other posters (just your friendly "keep it civil" reminder)
And please, no Eastern vs Western arguments. No one cares. It just makes you all look closed-minded. Seriously. They both have equal opportunity to suck all of the balls.

All that out of the way, the Dumping Ground is now open to the nerdy discussioning of animu and delicious fruit.

Last edited:

Theart

Hyped Ruler of Honnouji Academy
Awards
I finally decided to start watching Neon Genesis Evangelion for the first time tonight. Long overdue, I think, and I'm pretty excited about finally watching it. I'll keep you guys posted on what I think of it.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I finally decided to start watching Neon Genesis Evangelion for the first time tonight. Long overdue, I think, and I'm pretty excited about finally watching it. I'll keep you guys posted on what I think of it.
8D

Have you watched the Rebuild or are you starting with NGE?

I'm only watching Space Dandy right now. I got Darker than Black and Baccano! as Christmas gifts though, so I should watch those. I'm not sure which to start with since I've already seen DtB and enjoyed it but I've never seen Baccano! before.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Questions about all things anime or manga

Then can I get some insight on the Dgray Man series? Has it been cancelled or does anyone know? ;A;

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Then can I get some insight on the Dgray Man series? Has it been cancelled or does anyone know? ;A;

D.Gray-Man is currently on hiatus. The author has developed chronic wrist issues, so she's taking it easy until it's healed up enough to continue.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Starting with NGE. Might check out the Rebuild movies after I finish NGE/EoE. :)

You made the right decision. I honestly dont understand why people suggest to start with rebuild; it's a lot easier to be emotionally invested in rebuild if you've seen the tv series. part of the appeal is seeing what's different in rebuild, and i dont think it works as well when you start with rebuild and then watch the tv series.

Currently the only show i'm regularly watching is kill la kill. I've been really lazy about keeping up with space dandy to the point i might just marathon the series once it's over. I'm so picky with anime nowadays that it's rare for me to really pick up more than 3 shows per season anyway. Seinen manga has kind of spoiled me with all the awesome artwork, niche genres and sophisticated stories so it's all i really read anymore lol

D.Gray-Man is currently on hiatus. The author has developed chronic wrist issues, so she's taking it easy until it's healed up enough to continue.

and that's why you don't draw with your wrist ):

Last edited:

Gram

Banned
Awards

Ah I heard heard something about hand issues but didn't realize it was still that bad. Thanks for answering. TnT

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Seinen manga has kind of spoiled me with all the awesome artwork, niche genres and sophisticated stories so it's all i really read anymore lol
suggest seinen manga to me paolo pls.

Gantz ended and I don't know what to do with my life.

and that's why you don't draw with your wrist ):
Oh... I draw with my wrist. D:

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
suggest seinen manga to me paolo pls. gantz ended and i don't know what to do with my life.

Anything by Inio Asano is brilliant. Oyasumi Punpun is easily my favorite coming of age story ever.

Vagabond is a masterpiece, though it isn't finished and i honestly have no idea when it will be since the chapters take a while to come out and it's currently moving at a snail's pace.

Since you liked Bokurano you probably want to check out Narutaru. Bokurano is a lot better IMO, but it's still pretty much the best "mon deconstruction" out there. Just don't bother watching the anime, kitoh's art looks awful when it's animated and the second part of the story with most of the actual plot never got adapted.

If you've managed to avoid reading Berserk after all this time you should probably get on that right away. it doesn't necessarily have the best start but once you hit volume 4 and onwards it only gets better and eventually becomes amazing (i think inoue is probably the only mangaka in japan who can stand toe to toe with miura in terms of drawing, though inoue is a much better painter).

Zetman has pretty archetypal superhero/animu characters but the execution of the story and the strong art really make the series emotionally impactful.

Anything by Urasawa is worth a read, though my personal favorite is probably Pluto (still haven't finished 20th century boys).

Anything by Tsutomu Takahashi (Sidooh and Skyhigh in particular have absolutely phenomenal art and visual storytelling).

there are probably more i could recommend but i guess nyan can get you covered on anything i'm too lazy to mention.

Oh... I draw with my wrist. D:

it's common advice from professional artists to try and draw with your elbow/shoulder instead precisely because it avoids all the problems you might get from drawing with your wrist for long periods of time. it also lets you make much bigger/more precise marks.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
So, I keep taking recommendations from Space Cowboy that keep getting me sucked into super long series and I decided to pick up Slam Dunk recently even though I've got Mushishi to watch.

Fantastic suggestion. I've needed something older to watch recently and this was a phenomenal pick for just that. Great main character, interesting way to introduce the mechanics of basketball slowly but steadily. I'm really interested in seeing how it develops.

Vagabond is a masterpiece, though it isn't finished and i honestly have no idea when it will be since the chapters take a while to come out and it's currently moving at a snail's pace.
Also why I'm glad I picked up Slam Dunk. I bought the first two VizBig (3 in 1 w/ larger prints and color pages) Editions of this series and I'm so excited to read them after I finish this.

Prior to that (maybe a few months ago) he also recommended me Hajime no Ippo. Any other fans of that here? If you're not a fan of sports anime, don't dismiss this for even a second. I'd always wondered how you could run something like this series for so long.. now I know. This series is non-stop quality. Even in the moments you don't see Ippo in the ring, you're always immersed by some incredible comedy and really entertaining characters. Probably the best show I've decided to pick up in a very long time. I'm excited to finally be able to start reading it after the current season ends.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
I'm only watching Space Dandy right now. I got Darker than Black and Baccano! as Christmas gifts though, so I should watch those. I'm not sure which to start with since I've already seen DtB and enjoyed it but I've never seen Baccano! before.

Both of those are well-worth the watch.

I'm watching... a lot, as is probably no surprise. In order of most enjoying to least enjoying:

Hunter x Hunter
Kill la Kill
Space Dandy
Hoozuki no Reitetsu
Nagi no Asukara
Kuroko no Basuke S2
Log Horizon
Space Brothers
Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta
Mikakunin de Shinkoukei
Noragami
Daiya no Ace
Hamatora
Gin no Saji
Magi S2
Samurai Flamenco
Sekai Seifuku
Tonari no Seki-kun
Yowamushi Pedal
Nobunagun
D-Frag!
Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha
Wizard Barristers

I'm not saying this is the order from best to worst, only what I'm enjoying most at the moment. And yeah, I know, too much. That's not even including the fact that I'm working my way through Kemonozume and Kaiba.

[video=dailymotion;xhckxp]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xhckxp[/video]

This opening.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
i haven't read slam dunk but i noticed it made absolutely ridiculous jumps in quality for something that only ran for 6 years in jump

i dont know how inoue did it tbh theg uy must be a genius

how's that turning out? i heard about the premise and it sounded intriguing but i haven't bothered to check it out.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
how's that turning out? i heard about the premise and it sounded intriguing but i haven't bothered to check it out.

It's... interesting. As is the case with anything Masaaki Yuasa directs, I'm not 100% sure what to make of it. Still, it's neat science-fiction with a Tezuka-esque art direction.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I've heard some good things about Hunter X Hunter so I think I'll give it a try. I could use a new Shoenen anime.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
HunterxHunter is probably the best "traditional" battle shounen I've ever watched. I haven't caught up with it (i was still at greed island when i stopped lol), but up until that point it easily distinguished itself from the competition.

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
I feel like i've read all the comedic manga worth reading, but I'm hoping I'm totally wrong

give me your suggestions plz

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
there are probably more i could recommend but i guess nyan can get you covered on anything i'm too lazy to mention.

That list will keep you busy for a bit, so no need for specific input from me.

However, what I can give you (and everyone else looking at this post) is my method for finding new manga when I just don't know what to read. And it's as simple as a link.

Baka-Updates Manga - What's New!

This link lists series that came out in the designated year. It defaults to the most recent year, and you can select any of the past 10 years on the page. However, once you select another year, you can actually edit the URL and make it any year you want, going all the way back to 1946.

The list has the title, a few genre tags, and a picture and summary if they are available.

When you search, it's best to have it go through manga only (unless you want an endless assortment of Korean webcomics and fan doujin titles). You can have it order it by release date, rating, or activity in the past 3 months (which I believe is basically just popularity). The default is the last one.

Using that, I've been checking out the following titles:

Innocent (SAKAMOTO Shinichi) - Scanlations - Comic - Comic Directory - Batoto - Batoto Home
Mahou Tsukai no Yome - Scanlations - Comic - Comic Directory - Batoto - Batoto Home
http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/ajin-r9570
http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/all-you-need-is-kill-r10854

In case you couldn't tell from the cover, the first one has amazeballs art (which shouldn't be surprising, as it's by the same mangaka as the excellent Kokou no Hito). The second one has decent art as well, but it's the unique setting that's got me curious so far. Just started Ajin, so I can't say much about it yet, but Batoto has mistagged it. It's actually published in a seinen magazine. That said, it does seem to straddle the "line" between shounen and seinen. Lastly, All You Need is Kill is based on the light novel series of the same name. I mostly just looked at it because this is the first time I've seen Obata (of Death Note fame) drawing for a seinen magazine.

I feel like i've read all the comedic manga worth reading, but I'm hoping I'm totally wrong

give me your suggestions plz

http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/sakamoto-desu-ga-r8496

Last edited:

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
The only thing I'm watching now is Space Dandy.

Up until recently, I was what you call a "casual" anime fan. I primarily stuck to the shonen genre (Dragon Ball, Bleach, Yu Yu Hakusho etc) while occasionally venturing outside of my comfort zone (Death Note for example). Recently, I've watched some great series like Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Puella Magi.

Watching FMA was a turning point for me. It's a show that doesn't rely on cliches. It's narrative is well written. Plot points aren't forgotten but instead interconnected. It's characters aren't one dimensional instead displaying clear insecurities, weaknesses, and raw emotion. These are the traits I have looked for in the shows that I've watched since then.

NGE showed me that I shouldn't judge a book by its cover. I figured it was just some generic Mecha anime. Puella cemented this. Because I invest myself into the current show that I'm currently watching, I don't like feeling l'ved wasted my time. It's made me very picky. There's many series that I want to watch (Baccano for example) but won't because I feel like I'm missing out by not having read the light novel it was based on. There's also a lot of garbage out there and it's incredibly time consuming sifting through it to find the gems.

So yeah, it'd be nice to have something else to watch besides Dandy.

Last edited:
Back