• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Since Donald and Goofy didn't recognize Ventus after Sora showed them the picture of Roxas in KH2...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
Nomura shouldn't have even had Donald and Goofy meet Ven in BBS. It just doesn't make sense to me, and I know it doesn't make a lot of sense to other people. I don't like the "it was a long time ago, so they might not remember" excuse, because Mickey did and so did Yen Sid. Hell, even Riku remembered Terra.

I wonder if Nomura will clear this up in KH3, but I have a feeling he'll just ignore it.

Thoughts..?

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Well... memory retention differs from one person to another, and it may so happen that Donald and Goofy couldn't recall that far back. I mean, yeah, somebody probably could remember every single face that he had come across in the past, but you can't expect the same thing from everybody.

Heck, I don't even recall Axel and Saix—characters that are more "serious", so to say, than the comical Donald and Goofy—showing signs of remembering Ventus when first meeting Roxas.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I agree it is a bit iffy. But they only met Ventus for a couple of minutes. I can see a person not remembering someone they meet over a decade ago. Especially if they only saw them for a few minutes.

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
Nomura shouldn't have even had Donald and Goofy meet Ven in BBS. It just doesn't make sense to me, and I know it doesn't make a lot of sense to other people. I don't like the "it was a long time ago, so they might not remember" excuse, because Mickey did and so did Yen Sid. Hell, even Riku remembered Terra.
Most people wouldn't remember the faces of people they met ten years ago, let alone Donald and Goofy. Neither Mickey nor Yen Sid ever met Roxas, nor was he ever relevant to their plans. Even the people who did know about the Ven/Roxas connection (i.e., Xigbar) didn't really say much of it.

As for Riku, strangers probably were a rare occasion for people on DI, and the whole experience must have been pretty enigmatic/fascinating for Riku. So, it's not far-fetched for him to remember Terra.

rawpower

King of the Wild Frontier
Awards
The story line is so messed up at this point. There's a lot of things that don't really make sense. Donald and Goofy seem to be completely unaware of what's going on around them when they were present for a bunch of stuff and could have discussed it with Mickey or Yen Sid. I just assume that Donald and Goofy are dumber than all of the other characters.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

I wonder if Nomura will clear this up in KH3, but I have a feeling he'll just ignore it.

Thoughts..?

You're comparing apples and pears here. You cannot say that just because person X remembers person Y, Person A has to remember Person B.
It also depends on the impact of the meeting of those persons, the length of it and if the person B/Y in question is longer on Person A's/X's mind than just that one meeting.

That Yen Sid and Mickey remember Ventus is easy because despite everything else that was going on between the end of BBS and DDD, in the background they both were actively looking for his whereabouts as well as Aqua's and Terra's, so the memories of the BBS-Trio were kept fresh over the years in their minds.
Donald and Goofy had only one encounter with Ventus that wasn't much longer than the one Ven had with Lea.
So with Donald and Goofy in regards to Ven it is the same as the memory of Lea in regards to the same person, as their meetings were not only short, but also of less personal significance than Terra's and Riku's meeting was.
The meeting between Terra and Riku held much personal value for Riku himself, so the prospect that he may have remembered (DDD actually indicates that Riku only remembered Terra shortly before fighting Ansem SoD again) is much more logical than Donald and Goofy (or even Lea and Isa, for that manner) remembering a kid they only met for 20 minutes most in more casual circumstances. If anyone should remember Ventus clearly beside Yen Sid and Mickey they are Hercules, Stitch, Zack, Peter Pan and maybe Phil because with them Ventus was unquestionably closer in terms of interaction than Donald and Goofy were.
Thus, the fact that they have forgotten over the course of ten years is not really an "excuse" but a reasonable explanation, not everyone possesses eidetic memory that works for over ten years.

Most people wouldn't remember the faces of people they met ten years ago, let alone Donald and Goofy. Neither Mickey nor Yen Sid ever met Roxas, nor was he ever relevant to their plans. Even the people who did know about the Ven/Roxas connection (i.e., Xigbar) didn't really say much of it.

As for Riku, strangers probably were a rare occasion for people on DI, and the whole experience must have been pretty enigmatic/fascinating for Riku. So, it's not far-fetched for him to remember Terra.

Not to mention that Terra did something really special before Riku's eyes that directly involved him, both Sora and Riku do not remember their encounter with Aqua (until DDD at least that's when Sora recalls the memory, but we do not know about Riku) since it wasn't that much of a special occurrence as Terra's encounter with Riku.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Thoughts..?
Back in 2008, I started high school. Jump forward to like 2012 or 2013 and I was looking through the photos of my year 7 group and there was a girl there who I had no memory of ever being in our year. I couldn't remember any classes with her, I couldn't remember seeing her around the school or anything. I asked other people about her and they said they could remember her. This was a gap of 4-5 years.

People remember things differently. Over time, memories get warped. Details become fuzzy and you start to think something might be different to what it actually was. If I couldn't remember a girl in my year 4-5 years prior, then Donald and Goofy surely are allowed to forget a brief meeting 10-11 years before they saw the picture.

Besides, it was probably a retcon just like how Donald didn't recognise Yen Sid's tower ("Master Yen Sid lives here!?" is probably shock at it being in Twilight Town though).

Not to mention that Terra did something really special before Riku's eyes that directly involved him, both Sora and Riku do not remember their encounter with Aqua (until DDD at least that's when Sora recalls the memory, but we do not know about Riku) since it wasn't that much of a special occurrence as Terra's encounter with Riku.
Even though Sora saw his first encounter with Aqua, he still asked the bad guys if it was a dream they threw him in.

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards
I have to agree with everyone here. The fact that there was about 11 years in between seeing Ven and Roxas, the meeting was brief, and the general characteristics of Donald and Goofy it's not too hard to imagine them not remembering him. I'm not convinced Lea and Isa don't remember Ven though. Sure Axel probably would've said something to Roxas if he did remember Ven but there is still quite a bit we don't know about Lea and Isa.

KHRULER

Awards
Poor planning.Storyline was kinda messed up.Same reason why Goofy wondered what is this place was when they were at the Mysterious Tower in KH2

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Don't remind me of that cock-tease moment where Donald and Goofy were all "WE'RE GOING WITH YOU, VENTUS" and I got all excited, and he was all "No I've gotta go alone hahaha yeah!!!!" like I cried for a few minutes when that happened

Klom89

Website
www.fanfiction.net
Well, D and G never had interaction with Roxas. If they had, they most likely would've made the connection then and there. Sora never told them about his inner fight with Roxas, (As in, there was never any confirmation he had) since they were pursuing Xemnas.

To them, Ven was most likely just a casual acquaintance. I don't think it was a matter of bad storytelling, it was a matter of POV.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Plotholes and retcon. Kingdom Hearts is full of these. Deal with it. That is all. :cool:

Gram

Banned
Awards
Plotholes and retcon. Kingdom Hearts is full of these. Deal with it. That is all. :cool:

images

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
My point was that you can enjoy the games without over-analysing them. Once a story gets this big, and has seen this much retcon, plotholes are inevitable. It's fiction created by human beings after all. Unless they're so big that they make they literally ruin the whole story, it's better to just ignore them knowing the inconsistencies weren't intended to happen anyway.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I don't think Donald an' Goofy not recognizing Roxas in the photo can really be considered a retcon or plothole. They only met Ventus once for a whole two minutes. Ten years ago.
But, ya' know, what about Hercules? He's more likely to remember Ven and didn't he walked past Roxas a few times (close enough where they could bump into each other I think) in Days? You think he would at least mention once(to himself at least) that Roxas looks like someone he met in the past. But nope. Then again, Herc couldn't even figure out that the person Phil thought was the new guy(who we shall never see and will probably never be mentioned again. Poor guy.) was the the kid he kept walking past.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
When I try to characterize Donald and Goofy, the first things that come to mind aren't intelligent and astuteness. So I don't see why it's unrealistic to think that Donald and Goofy forgot a face that saw 10 years ago.

Last edited:

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
I have to agree. I would hardly consider the explanations given above overanalysing considering it can very well happen in our daily lives. It certainly isn't too far-fetched and is still logical... but yeah, everyone's got their own way to enjoy the series.

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
The Roxas - Ventus thing doesn't bother me at all but I still think it really stupid that they don't remember the tower and I wish they had said that "her majesty" imprisoned Pete in KH II.
Who knows, maybe they can re dub that in 2.5

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
The Roxas - Ventus thing doesn't bother me at all but I still think it really stupid that they don't remember the tower and I wish they had said that "her majesty" imprisoned Pete in KH II.
Who knows, maybe they can re dub that in 2.5

I love how often that "his/her majesty" thing gets brought up when that was simply a translator's choice that has nothing to do with the story.
The localisation team just assumed that Goofy said "his majesty" and meant Mickey, despite Minnie being Queen and also possible to do the deed from the very beginning, which is because the japanese language does not differentiate between genders in these pronouns.
It's one of those typical "if not specified assume male"-cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back