• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Young Xehanort Question

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarpChaos

So I heard some where that apparently during the last fight with YX he is being possessed by his older self? Is this true? Was it mentioned in the Ultimania or something?

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
So I heard some where that apparently during the last fight with YX he is being possessed by his older self? Is this true? Was it mentioned in the Ultimania or something?

Yes, he was. And it was confirmed by Nomura himself, as you can see in this interview snippet:

DDD Famitsu Weekly Interview said:
— When King Mickey stopped time, Young Xehanort began to move. Since he can control time, was he breaking the King’s spell?

Nomura: Young Xehanort wasn’t using his own power at that time. The King’s magic was broken because Master Xehanort was assimilating with Young Xehanort.

I thought it was going to be inconvenient to dig through the sources when browsing on mobile, but it turns out a quick Google gave me exactly what I need.

In addition, why he was able to wield the Keyblade is also thanks to MX's possession of his body. The Keyblade itself is MX's and not of his (YX's) own since he couldn't normally wield one at that time of his life.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Pretty much what Solosis has done stated, Mx can indeed possess his other selves. And from what we seen with YX this allows them to wield his keyblade as well. (though under different keychain)

You see the possession take place a bit subtly when YX's eye's flash and he summons the keyblade.

WarpChaos

Yes, he was. And it was confirmed by Nomura himself, as you can see in this interview snippet:I thought it was going to be inconvenient to dig through the sources when browsing on mobile, but it turns out a quick Google gave me exactly what I need.In addition, why he was able to wield the Keyblade is also thanks to MX's possession of his body. The Keyblade itself is MX's and not of his (YX's) own since he couldn't normally wield one at that time of his life.
Oh, I didn't think it was him because of his personality. But I wonder why the Keyblade is different then.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Oh, I didn't think it was him because of his personality. But I wonder why the Keyblade is different then.

Most likely cause a change in keychain. Technically anybody with a keyblade can alter their weapons with one, Xehanort included.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
What interests me more, although it might be a trivial matter, is the reason why there was a change in keychain. As a comparison, the Keyblade wielded by Terranort was the same as the one MX had wielded just a scene before that.

That said, I personally think it was just to match YX's theme (seeing the Keyblade had a clock face and its keychain is an hourglass). That, or Nomura just wanted us to think; had YX wielded MX's demonic Keyblade, it would have been obvious that YX was under his older self's possession.

Gram

Banned
Awards
That said, I personally think it was just to match YX's theme
I tend to favor that as well. Plus if he had wielded MX's keyblade in it's basic form and that'd just be to straightforward for Nomura *snort*

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

Master Xehanort only possessed Young Xehanort for the duration of the battle with Riku, so there wasn't too much "personality" to show.
Then again, unlike Xemnas and Ansem, who have their own separate minds and are only "part"-Xehanorts due to Eraqus and Terra being in the mix, Young Xehanort and Master Xehanort are the very same person just from different points in the timeline.

What interests me more, although it might be a trivial matter, is the reason why there was a change in keychain. As a comparison, the Keyblade wielded by Terranort was the same as the one MX had wielded just a scene before that.

That said, I personally think it was just to match YX's theme (seeing the Keyblade had a clock face and its keychain is an hourglass). That, or Nomura just wanted us to think; had YX wielded MX's demonic Keyblade, it would have been obvious that YX was under his older self's possession.

While Keychains are not really properly explained yet, they tend to be themed after their origin (i.e. One-Winged-Angel is themed after Sephiroth, the Keychain's origin, because Sora got it from Sephy) and Young Xehanort's keychain does have some elements from MX's regular Keyblade like the demon face (on top near the teeth) and the demonic wings (handguard).

Yep, it's most likely also a throwback to Birth by Sleep and the "No Name"-Keyblade TAV receive from the Mysterious Figure, Nomura's way of saying "Yes, this is the guy who you fought in BBS as a secret boss".
Tied with this is as well that Young Xehanort actually uses the blue laserblades he had in BBS during the second part of his battle with Riku.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
About the blue laserlades. Why does he use them in the second part of the fight? Is it just Nomura telling us that this really was the secret boss in BBS, or does it have a deeper meaning? Somehow I thought that, when you break the clock with reality shift the connection with YX and MX is broken as well. What do you guys think?

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
My theory is that the true Keyblade stays with the true YX (who was hiding behind the clock), possibly being the source of power for him to pull that time-rewinding trick. Since the Keyblade was being used, his projections that he sent out to keep Riku at bay were left with the laser blades to make use of. Either that, or his projections simply can't use the Keyblade (or copies thereof).

Again, it's just my theory and thus may be flawed, so it should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Gram

Banned
Awards
That theory may hold some base really, though I think it mostly serves as a throwback to the MF's duplicates attack in BBS, it would make sense that they use the blades because YX (or rather MX working through YX) can't divide the keyblade between them as their just illusions/constructs.

WarpChaos

I have to sort of object though. I know it may be the result of a keychain, but YX IS MX. So, he is going to wield the MX keyblade someday. I'd think he'd use that.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
YX is MX from a time where he wasn't yet chosen by a Keyblade. Young Xehanort is the Xehanort from Destiny Islands who isn't a Keyblade Wielder yet, so that he will someday grow into the Keyblade Wielder Xehanort and eventually get that black battle-axe like Keyblade doesn't hold any merit for this time-displaced version of Xehanort.

Besides, as others have said, having him wield MX's regular Keyblade would have made it too obvious that he was possessed by the future MX, and having things simple and obvious is something Nomura doesn't like, not to mention the obvious throwbacks to his status as the Mysterious Figure from BBS are much more within Nomura's style.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
I have to sort of object though. I know it may be the result of a keychain, but YX IS MX. So, he is going to wield the MX keyblade someday. I'd think he'd use that.

As an addendum to what Sephy had said...

Suppose, just assume, YX had been chosen by the Keyblade. Who are we to say that he couldn't have wielded more than one type of Keyblade? It has happened in the series; Mickey wielded the Star Seeker in BbS and Re:coded and Kingdom Key D in KH1 and KH2.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Not to mention Terra and Aqua are shown to be wielding various Keys canonically. Aqua from Rainfell to Stormfall, and Terra from Earthshaker to Ends of the Earth.

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
I can still totally see YX wielding MX's exact keyblade when the Xehanortification process is complete (and, by extension, every other Xehanort). That would also mean that Terra-Xehanort would be the ideal vessel, since he wielded MX's exact keyblade.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Not to mention Terra and Aqua are shown to be wielding various Keys canonically. Aqua from Rainfell to Stormfall, and Terra from Earthshaker to Ends of the Earth.
The Stormfall and Ends of the Earth aren't separate keyblades like Mickey does. The rainfell transformed INTO the stormfall after Aqua uses it and her armor to send Terranort back to Radiant Garden and likewise Terra's eathshaker changed into the ends of the earth after Xehanort possessed terra and cast terra's keyblade aside.

Before that they were keychains.

I can still totally see YX wielding MX's exact keyblade when the Xehanortification process is complete (and, by extension, every other Xehanort). That would also mean that Terra-Xehanort would be the ideal vessel, since he wielded MX's exact keyblade.
I see YX wielding at some point too but does YX really require Nortifiying when he is literally MX himself just younger? Unlike the other vessels he's not turning YX into himself as YX is already himself just at a younger period.

Nayru's Love

Awards
I see YX wielding at some point too but does YX really require Nortifiying when he is literally MX himself just younger? Unlike the other vessels he's not turning YX into himself as YX is already himself just at a younger period.
YX is still a different person from MX, although it's obviously a lot less obvious than any of the other cases. This is YX before he's done any traveling, which may be what separates him from any other Xehanort. YX has desire alongside ignorance.

Kinda like sex; every Xehanort wants it, which is the trait that unites them all. However, YX is the only one who's still a virgin.

Gram

Banned
Awards
YX is still a different person from MX, although it's obviously a lot less obvious than any of the other cases. This is YX before he's done any traveling, which may be what separates him from any other Xehanort. YX has desire alongside ignorance.

Kinda like sex; every Xehanort wants it, which is the trait that unites them all. However, YX is the only one who's still a virgin.

I'm not sure lack of experience qualifies as making him a different persona all together. Sure he's not the same as MX in every sense but he's still the same individual, literally, while all the other norts are different or have parts of different people present within them which is subdued and overtaken.

YX shouldn't need that as he and MX have the same everything, heart, body and soul. He shouldn't need conversion as of all the norts he truly is MX and obviously wants in his youth what he wants as MX.

Basically who shouldn't need norting like the others because he already IS Xehanort. There's nothing to subdue or convert as he's already on his side because he IS him.

The only thing differentiating YX from MX is age and knowledge.

Nayru's Love

Awards
The only thing differentiating YX from MX is age and knowledge.

Which I think is why YX is a vessel in the first place. Whereas every other Xehanort becomes MX physically (primarily), YX becomes MX spiritually. YX and MX are much like ignorance and knowledge: They exist in pairs. YX is ignorance that desires to become knowledge, but doesn't know what it is. MX is knowledge, so it's like YX wants to become MX.

A bit speculative, but something I've been meaning to dig into nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back