• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► I Hate the Holidays

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
Has anybody ever felt lonely on the holidays. I feel like a Scrooge. The holidays are perhaps the hardest part of the year for me, because I don't get to be with my family. I don't want to be with them, but I miss them like crazy. That's another topic altogether.

Why do people get so obsessed about the holidays? I mean, we spend too much money on it and most of the time, people are just too focused on getting Lil' Bobby is PS4. Isn't the holidays supposed to be about families being together? In both cases, I am on the losing side. The Holidays are just a sad time, because I see other people being with their families and enjoying themselves. Some kids get estactic with opening up their gifts and opening their families.

I just miss that. It's hard going through the holidays. Nobody knows what it is like to be miserable on the holidays. They only care about presents and getting to spend time with their family, while lots of people are left out in the cold. That's why I hate the holidays. What do you think of the holidays? Do you think we take them for granted and leave everyone else out while we spend time with our families. There's also the greed aspect of it.

MarluxiaNo11

Awards
You'd be surprised at just how many people dislike the holidays these days, especially the older generation. It seems that it has become more of a financial burden rather then a time for family and giving. I spent the previous two years away from my family and my home because I was at university and getting back was an issue and so it was a fairly miserable time for me to. I do admit though that I'm looking forward to this year purely based on the fact that I no longer am at university and I'm back where I feel like I belong.

In answer to your question though, I think that the holidays are a time when family is important because my mother isn't around any more and so me and my Dad have to work as a team to make it as special as we can for my little sister who is still young and in a fragile state around these times (the holidays). I think that a lot of people do take them for granted, definitely. It's probably because as the generations have moved on, a lot more of the youth care about presents rather then their families and such and I'd love to know where the magic died, excuse my cliché saying.

I for one am lucky that my family are fairly traditional and hence why I missed the last two Christmases so much. Do you plan on trying to make this Christmas worth it's while and possibly change your own opinion or is it an opinion that you and your family and friends share?

Last edited:

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
I wouldn't say I was being profound because it's not really that kind of topic - they asked and they got my opinion based on what I've experienced.

There's nothing with being profound. The holidays now that I think about it. It doesn't matter if you're with your blood relatives. Relatives related by marriage and blood can be either uncomfortable to be around or a joy to be around. I really dislike being around the judgmental grandfather that makes everyone feel uncomfortable with how bigoted he is.

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards
i would think being focused on buying your children/relatives presents and making sure the holiday is enjoyable for them would be a good thing

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
i would think being focused on buying your children/relatives presents and making sure the holiday is enjoyable for them would be a good thing

Well, I mean when you get them something and they're completely unpleased with it. One time, I got my stepdad a Ms. Wonderful doll. I think he tossed in the trash. Of course, it depends on the relative, you don't know what to get them or you think you do. And, they are unpleased with the gift.

Also, the holidays seem to be a violent time as New Years has a high percentage of drunk drivers. People are too busy partying that they don't think about the consequence and end up screwing somebody, themselves or both up.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Isn't the holidays supposed to be about families being together? In both cases, I am on the losing side. The Holidays are just a sad time, because I see other people being with their families and enjoying themselves. Some kids get estactic with opening up their gifts and opening their families.

you can't always know how happy someone is or isn't. just because someone looks like they are enjoying the holidays doesnt mean they are. they could just be faking it, like people fake being happy in general

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
Well, I mean when you get them something and they're completely unpleased with it. One time, I got my stepdad a Ms. Wonderful doll. I think he tossed in the trash. Of course, it depends on the relative, you don't know what to get them or you think you do. And, they are unpleased with the gift.

Also, the holidays seem to be a violent time as New Years has a high percentage of drunk drivers. People are too busy partying that they don't think about the consequence and end up screwing somebody, themselves or both up.

I'm often choosy as to whom I buy presents for, but your brief story of your step dad seems to reflect his character. If one cannot accept a gift, and see the sentimental value behind it, at the very least, then maybe the gift receiver's heart is in the wrong place.

As for buying presents, I feel like I want to give back to my parents for all that they have given to me, now that I have some monetary means to do so. And, I buy a few small, but meaningful, presents for a few of my friends. One of my friends LOVES Sherlock, so I managed to happen across a Sherlock shirt online, and I ordered it for her. I gave it to her early, because I wasn't sure if was going to be able to see her, and she loved it.

Honestly, the Christmas Season is what you make of it. I've spent many years being outwardly pleased but inwardly torn because I wanted to be with other people, and I honestly made a few Christmases miserable for myself, because I was focused on myself. I find great joy in giving gifts, and I'm making an effort to be more selfless (all year round) so that I can more enjoy the holiday season by not having to force myself to be generous or selfless. (I don't want to sound as if I am bragging or something, this is not how I mean that)

I can see why the holidays are frustrating. But you can play a big part in your enjoyment of the season, if you find something to put your energy into.

Ulti

hurr hurr hurr
Awards

So, I looked up this doll. Horrible choice. Why would you give that to someone who possibly might have gone through a horrible divorce?

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
You still have to realize how that single gift might have angered him. He could have easily seen it as an insult. Plus, that is sort of not an appropriate gift to give from stepson to stepdad. What possible reason did you have to give that to him?

I was trying to make him laugh, because I was a dumb kid. I'll admit that. I was an instigator growing up and my stepdad always got angry if he never got the gift he really wanted. One time, I gave him a stone carving of a cat I sculpted and he didn't look too thrilled about it. He'd always pester my mom, my sister, me, and everyone else for Mortal Kombat, the Resident Evil saga, and if you didn't come anywhere near it. He got angry. This was like 2003 and way before the divorce. I guess I saw it as my chance to get even due to all the stuff he put all of our family through, but that's still not excuse. He also pestered my mom about his birthday as it was five days from mine. That's still no excuse.

I was a dumb, spiteful child.

But, to get back on topic, why do you guys think there would be a necessarily good reason to hate the holidays? Any bad experiences?

dlppictures

Awards
Website
dlppictures.blogspot.dk
I am not too fond of the season myself.
I dislike most of the things that are associated with the Holidays, be it snow, carols, shopping or whatever, I do not like it.

For that reason many people think that I hate Christmas. I don't.
In fact I love Christmas, I just hate the 'Christmas season.'
Everyone starting to prepare for Christmas as soon as summer's over. (We don't really practice Halloween where I'm from.)
The radio stations start playing "Last/White/All I want for Christmas" half-way through November, People stressing to make everything in time, unrelenting re-runs on TV.
It almost feels like everyone has forgotten what Christmas is about, even though like 80% of Christmas movies make such a big deal out of it.

It is enough to drive me crazy, but I have learned to just walk away when songs start playing, to keep my good mood, and to not make enemies out of friends in this time where we are supposed to be happy together, and I am really a happy person when it comes to almost anything, I'm more patient than most people I have met.

This time of year is the only time when it is exceptionally hard to keep my good mood, but I do my best to live a happy life.

So that's my Holiday story.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
I personally love the holiday atmosphere. Sure, it's laden with obnoxious holiday commercials and promotions that always start far too early; but aside from those, I can't get enough of the uplifting mood.

And I don't even do anything for the holidays.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
I'm not too fond of the holidays, but that's just because I find it too hectic. It's not as bad for me as I know it is for many other people so it's more like it's mildly annoying.

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
Some people get depressed during the Christmas Season.
I get depressed during all times but the Christmas Season.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
Some people get depressed during the Christmas Season.
I get depressed during all times but the Christmas Season.

You're lucky. The Christmas season for me complicates things. I dislike it, because violence goes up. The other day during Thanksgiving there was a bloodied guy at our door. He was about to pass out and we called the ambulance and police for him. Condemn me if you will, but I didn't know how to react during that situation as my feelings were out of balance.

And, another guy got shot by cops near the complex I live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back