• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

So, what's gonna happen to Dream Drop Distance now?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxem

Website
www.taystrippedbear.com
1.5 included 1FM, RE:CoM and 358/2 Days
2.5 is set to include 2FM, BBSFM and RE:Coded

so where is DDD gonna go? considering it does a hell of a lot more for the plot than coded ever did, where are we actually going to see this? I'm a little irritated that coded is seeing the light of day again when DDD is essential to understanding what is going to be going on in KH3, whereas coded really isn't. This isn't me slagging off coded or saying it's a shit game or whatever, just given the growing development of KH3, I don't see why it deserves this treatment.

what's everyone else's thoughts on the matter? are we going to see DDD recapped at the beginning of KH3? to me that's pretty lame but at the end of the day it's up to the SE/Disney team what they do.

maybe I'm just bitter cause I already have KH2FM and BBSFM so 2.5 brings absolutely nothing new (apart from HD graphics) to the table for me when I can just sit and watch the re:coded scenes on youtube.

Lea

Awards
Website
joshtominus.com
Although I respect your opinion, I find it really agitating that nearly everyone finds Coded to be a "filler" game. Yes, compared to all of the other handheld titles, it has the least amount to offer to The Xehanort Saga's main plot, but the game in itself has a very important plot point, one that I completely missed because I went along with everyone's opinions on it and didn't play it, so for the longest time, I didn't know that when someone's original, heartless, and nobody form is killed off, their original form is rebirthed. Also, the game had important character points/development to address and it was just an awesome freaking game. I think it deserves at LEAST HD cutscenes.

Now back on topic, what I believe they'll do with DDD is probably make a standalone Re:Dream Drop Distance. It would make the most sense to me. I believe I read somewhere on here that Nomura wanted to make all of the games available on one console so that people can catch up, so it would make sense if they remastered it for the Playstation 3, especially since It's so vital to the plot of KH3. I couldn't imagine them just skipping that one, of course though, Square is very unpredictable.

Draxem

Website
www.taystrippedbear.com
Yeah but that wasn't revealed until the secret ending, aren't all the characters digital versions as well so how can that be character development relevant to the series? I'm not here to argue coded anyway everyone has their opinions, it's not a bad game as such anyway I just think DDD was a lot more relevant to the series. I can't see them skipping it but this just seems like the perfect place to put it and they're just, well, not.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
Coded had a lot of important stuff in it, and not just the secret ending. However, the funny thing is, you don't realize how important Coded is until you play DDD, which is hilarious since DDD wasn't included.

My guess is that DDD will either be a standalone remake, or be recapped in KH3. Definitely hoping for the former.

136199Goat

Now back on topic, what I believe they'll do with DDD is probably make a standalone Re:Dream Drop Distance. It would make the most sense to me. I believe I read somewhere on here that Nomura wanted to make all of the games available on one console so that people can catch up, so it would make sense if they remastered it for the Playstation 3, especially since It's so vital to the plot of KH3. I couldn't imagine them just skipping that one, of course though, Square is very unpredictable.

As awesome as this sounds, I'm fairly certain that KH3 won't be on the PS3, only PS4 and XBox One have been confirmed, right? Then again, Final Fantasy XV will be on PS3 and PS4, so perhaps a PS3 port for KH3 could happen... but what about the fate of DDD?

Key to Truth

Awards
I'm pretty sure that DDD will have a standalone remaster for 2015 or so, when their contract with Nintendo expires. I mean the exclusivity contract.

Loxdani

This is a matter of a company's right to the game. It took 3 years for Re:Chain of Memories to be made when DS was released an the old cartridge games were becoming obsolete. KH3D was released last year on a current handheld platform. I believe it will get the Re:Chain of Memories treatment and be released for the PS3 (or maybe PS4 depending how long the PS3 lasts) in 2015 before KHIII is released.

Last edited:

Gram

Banned
Awards
Coded had a lot of important stuff in it, and not just the secret ending. However, the funny thing is, you don't realize how important Coded is until you play DDD, which is hilarious since DDD wasn't included.

My guess is that DDD will either be a standalone remake, or be recapped in KH3. Definitely hoping for the former.

This^ Coded was important for a few things besides the ending. Such as showing that anything can grow a heart, like the way data-sora did near the end of the game. Though this point wasn't touched again directly until DDD.

I look to see it recapped in kh3, I dont see them remaking a game only released last year.

Tetsujin

I look to see it recapped in kh3, I dont see them remaking a game only released last year.

It doesn't need to be remade, only ported.
Capcom and Konami/Mercurysteam did it for Resident Evil Revelations and Castlevania respectively, why not Square-Enix?

I don't see why the 'too recent' argument is often brought up, why would that be an issue? When console games are ported to PC after a few months for example, you don't hear anyone saying "it only came out on console last year, there's no need for it to be on a more powerful platform already!"

KH3D for a console shouldn't be looked at as a "remaster" in this case but rather a delayed multiplatform release of sorts.

Loxdani

Resident Evil Revelations was ported to home console 1 year and a few months after the 3DS release so there is some sort of exclusivity agreement or else they would have released it at the same time to 2 different companies. Metal Gear was for the most part a PS exclusive game for 15+ years (not counting the very first) now the new games are being ported to Xbox like Revengeance (after the conclusion of the Solid Snake story). Different companies have different exclusivity agreements. Taking KH3D to a home console would be a "remaster" b/c they would have to change game specification to run on PS3/PS4 and update the graphics something easier said than done.
A game to KH's caliber that has made me buy a handheld to play it, Nintendo would be crazy to not make them sign a somewhat long exclusivity agreement. If not I would just wait a "few months" to come to PS3 instead of considering buying a 3DS (which I still am, specially now with all this hype) to play the game.
Every game and every company deal with platform release differently and by what we have seen from SE and KH games it is a 3 year wait (at least) before a game is remastered to another platform. That has been true to CoM, Coded and now with 358/2(only as a giant movie) and BBS(same company different platform). If they keep up with this trend KH3D will only be ported to another platform in 2015 or after which seems to fit what is going to happen.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I'm hoping that DDD will be re-released on the PS3, but I'll be fine if it gets a big extensive recap in III.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Although I respect your opinion, I find it really agitating that nearly everyone finds Coded to be a "filler" game.

It seems to be also a sort of hive-mind issue within the fandom that Coded apparently is "uneccessary" and holds no importance beyond the secret ending, just like it is apparently with bashing on Terra's and Aqua's voice actors.

Yeah but that wasn't revealed until the secret ending, aren't all the characters digital versions as well so how can that be character development relevant to the series? I'm not here to argue coded anyway everyone has their opinions, it's not a bad game as such anyway I just think DDD was a lot more relevant to the series. I can't see them skipping it but this just seems like the perfect place to put it and they're just, well, not.

The issue confirmed in the secret ending isn't the only important thing confirmed in Coded, as the issue about when a Heartless and Nobody are destroyed the original person comes back was already revealed earlier in supplementary material to both KH 2 and Days.

The normal ending of Coded also holds quite some important bits and reveals also the content of Mickey's letter at the end of KH 2.

And that the characters are digital versions makes them in no way or shape inferior to the "biomass"-characters, their development and growth is completely relevant to the series also because it provides a true example of the claim that everything can grow a heart that got finally confirmed in DDD.
It's practically one huge foreshadow which many people apparently fail to realize.

The story overall may be lighter and less littered with huge twists, but it still complements the whole picture of the overaching story.

---

On topic though, if anything I'd say that they will at least include DDD in a revamped, more detailed memoirs/chronicle-style in KH III, and that would already be much, much more than what KH II got with CoM, as in that case there was nothing beyond some scenes in the opening and a few hints in Jiminy's Journal that informed players who played KH II without having played CoM before about what went down in that game.

Zven

I don't think they need to remake it, just upgrade it to HD, add trophies and release it like they did with Resident Evil Relevations. It only took one year going from 3DS exclusive to consoles with that game, so it's really not hard at all to do.

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
I don't think they need to remake it, just upgrade it to HD, add trophies and release it like they did with Resident Evil Relevations. It only took one year going from 3DS exclusive to consoles with that game, so it's really not hard at all to do.
Along with the points that Loxdani brought up, the KH franchise has the predicament of being part-Disney, so I can imagine the settling of distribution rights to be a total bitch. Not to mention the opportunity costs involved: If they port DDD as soon as possible, wouldn't that affect the potential impact of a Re:DDD? Or, what if waiting it out would actually help future sales, given that DDD is still considerably fresh?

Zven

Along with the points that Loxdani brought up, the KH franchise has the predicament of being part-Disney, so I can imagine the settling of distribution rights to be a total bitch. Not to mention the opportunity costs involved: If they port DDD as soon as possible, wouldn't that affect the potential impact of a Re:DDD? Or, what if waiting it out would actually help future sales, given that DDD is still considerably fresh?

All those problems are logistic and distribution and marketing, in terms of making it available on consoles, it's not that hard or slow process. My point is, when we get the game, if we get it at all, it will be for those reasons.

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
Another recent example is Assassin's Creed Liberation which will get a HD port (with extras) for all other major consoles after being exclusivly available on the PSVita for over a year.

I think we will get a DDD port and 2015 seems to be the best guess. Let's see if the credits of the HD 2.5 ReMIX will feature scenes from the game or not.

Naryx15

All the games that have been getting remastered were all from older consoles/handhelds (PS2, DS, PSP), whereas DDD is on the 3DS, which is still the most up-to-date handheld device from Nintendo.

I don't see any reason for DDD to be remastered on a major console at all. Its use of 3D visuals and touchscreen gameplay are just fine on the 3DS, although it'd be interesting to see what they could do on the Wii U.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Maybe they'll go real nuts & put out 3.5 after KH3's release & have it contain KH3FM, DDD & Chi scenes.

Tetsujin

All the games that have been getting remastered were all from older consoles/handhelds (PS2, DS, PSP), whereas DDD is on the 3DS, which is still the most up-to-date handheld device from Nintendo.

I don't see any reason for DDD to be remastered on a major console at all. Its use of 3D visuals and touchscreen gameplay are just fine on the 3DS, although it'd be interesting to see what they could do on the Wii U.

The "It's still on a current platform" argument doesn't really hold up imo since it's not a given that everyone owns a handheld whereas it is much more likely that the majority of KH fans own at least a Sony console seeing as how that's where the main series started on.

The reason for bringing it to a home console is to make it accessible to a large group of people who have not had the opportunity to play the game yet (like me).

After all, that's part of the reason for the existence of the HD Remixes - to eliminate the platform spread of the series and make it more accessible. Why leave out the most important stepping stone towards KH3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back