• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Regarding Sora and Riku's parents

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
When the storm hits DI in the first game, Sora and Riku's parents, neighbours and what not were suspended in animation according to Nomura. From what I gather, life there resumed after beating Ansem So as Kairi returns to live there. Are we to assume that she managed to convince both Sora and Riku's parents not to worry about their long absence? Seems unrealistic to me.

Turn

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ~&#
Awards
Website
flavors.me
In KH2, it's clear that no one connected to Sora could remember him until his own memories were restored, so his parents would've been a non-issue for the most part. It's possible Kairi explained the situation to them by the time they would've remembered him, but it really doesn't matter all that much, since he returns home by the end of the game anyway. And I think it's Selphie that handwaves Riku's absence, indicating that neither she or Kairi could remember how or why he disappeared (this was before Sora's memories and memories connected to him were restored). It's as good a guess as any to say that his parents probably suspected he ran away, given his wanderlust.

But yeah, this series really doesn't care all that much about parents, or blood ties in general. I'm sure it's occurred to the writers that their treatment of that particular aspect is flimsy or unrealistic, and I doubt that they care. It simply isn't the story they want to tell.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
im sure she was able to convince them that they were fine, just on a big journey In COM. before they left for the MoM exam, I'm sure both of them told their parents everything before they left.. I know they're not really important to the story, but do wish that they got a bit more focus. It did always bother me that sora never voiced concern for his parents in kh1. Especially when we heard his mother before the world was destroyed
i

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'm sure both of them told their parents everything before they left.

You forget the little thing called "World Order". They shouldn't really be telling anybody, even their own parents or friends, about the existence of worlds outside of their own. If I had to make an educated guess, they probably just told them they were going to go on a trip with some friends and would be back whenever.

I know they're not really important to the story, but do wish that they got a bit more focus. It did always bother me that sora never voiced concern for his parents in kh1. Especially when we heard his mother before the world was destroyed
i

Like said in the past, and by Turn, the story that they are trying to tell doesn't really care about blood family. It's a story about friendships and non-blood related bonds. Having Sora voice worries about his parents would add a pointless layer to the game. We don't see the parents, so why add it to the main narrative?

There are more important things going on in the story that the characters need to worry about rather than stopping to think "I wonder if my mom would be okay if I left home for an undetermined amount of time while I tried to save the universe from utter and complete destruction?" or "I hope my father is okay even though I know for a fact he is billions of miles away from this conflict and there are others in more immediate danger."

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
Since we've seen very little of DI since KH1 it's hard to say how things went down. We don't know much anyone remembers, if anything, and how they went about life after things were set back in place. From what I've seen the general theory is that Kairi probably explained things to Sora and Riku's parents but she may not have had to. Perhaps people were returning little by little so while some people came back right away others took a few days. Maybe Kairi didn't want to explain so she didn't say anything and avoided their parents. Even though she was Sora and Riku's friend she didn't necessarily have to know anything since most people were separated from each other. Or perhaps they simply didn't care. :p

Looking at Selphie's dialogue in KH2 Kairi didn't even tell her what had happened since she was wondering what happened to Riku. My best guess is that Kairi simply didn't say anything and for the time Sora's and Riku's parents did remember them they either worried or didn't care. Which sounds kind of mean, for Kairi to not tell them, but as mentioned parents/blood relations are generally uncared for.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
why would it be bad for them to know about other worlds. Its not like any of the other residents of destiny island would believe them

yes iI know the worlds were in danger. But still, sora's parents could have been dead for all he knew. That could have been the last time he saw them. At least riku acknowledged during the storm that he might never see his family again

Ruran

Awards
why would it be bad for them to know about other worlds. Its not like any of the other residents of destiny island would believe them

yes iI know the worlds were in danger. But still, sora's parents could have been dead for all he knew. That could have been the last time he saw them. At least riku acknowledged during the storm that he might never see his family again

The whole "World Order" things was irrelevant from the get go and it's not like Sora and Riku abided by it much anyway so I doubt that's what stopped them from telling their parents what they were up to. If they the other residents of DI wouldn't believe them it's just as likely that their parents would have just thought they were bull shitting. Personally I go with Sora and Riku not telling their parents anything more so that they don't worry and ultimately cause less trouble. As mentioned before they might have just told their parents they were going on some harmless trip at most.

As Spock mentioned that just adds an unnecessary layer to the story. It's just one of those things where if you start mentioning family it either snow balls because you have to keep going with it or it awkwardly stops. I assume that Sora and Riku worry and think about their parents, they're just not mentioned much in game because it's unnecessary. Just like how Sora worries about Riku and Kairi but doesn't say a word about Selphie, Tidus, Wakka, or anyone else I presume lives on the island but we've never seen. KH just like to focus on the characters that are immediately important.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Personally I always just figured kairi [and islanders as a whole] would've went with "they vanished during the storm" story.

Ruran

Awards
Personally I always just figured kairi [and islanders as a whole] would've went with "they vanished during the storm" story.

I think the concern would be why they didn't come back though. Minus Sora and Riku it's assumed that everyone else came back so those two remaining gone would be odd.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
I think the concern would be why they didn't come back though. Minus Sora and Riku it's assumed that everyone else came back so those two remaining gone would be odd.

Not to mention when they came back in KH2 and then left again for DDD...honestly, I'm sure Nomura just doesn't care, but my best guess is that the parents know and ONLY the parents know in terms of DI residents (not including SRK).

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Not to mention when they came back in KH2 and then left again for DDD...honestly, I'm sure Nomura just doesn't care, but my best guess is that the parents know and ONLY the parents know in terms of DI residents (not including SRK).

i agree. besides its not like anyone else on destiny islands would believe the parents if they told them that their children traveled other worlds

Gram

Banned
Awards

True but in light of the truth that everyone was in stasis and the world destroyed by darkness and shadow monsters, which do you think they'd be more likely to accept?

Ruran

Awards
True but in light of the truth that everyone was in stasis and the world destroyed by darkness and shadow monsters, which do you think they'd be more likely to accept?

Since we know near nothing about Sora and Riku's parents it can't really be said what excuse they'd buy for their kids not coming back. Or if they even really cared. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
I know right? they could have been dead and neither of them gave a crap

My question is why Nomura chose to bring back the characters in BbS, or at least Sora's father. I understand that when KH1 was being made, nobody really knew KH would take off the way it did, so things were included that could be regretted later, like Sora's mom saying "Sora! Dinner's ready!" If Nomura had just scrapped the parents and never brought them back, it would have just been assumed (at least to me) that they were an ill-conceived idea in the first game before it was made into a series. However, in BbS, Riku directly references "the father of my friend" to Terra, which is implied to be Sora's father bringing them to the island. Oh well, I guess we'll never know haha xD

Ruran

Awards
My question is why Nomura chose to bring back the characters in BbS, or at least Sora's father. I understand that when KH1 was being made, nobody really knew KH would take off the way it did, so things were included that could be regretted later, like Sora's mom saying "Sora! Dinner's ready!" If Nomura had just scrapped the parents and never brought them back, it would have just been assumed (at least to me) that they were an ill-conceived idea in the first game before it was made into a series. However, in BbS, Riku directly references "the father of my friend" to Terra, which is implied to be Sora's father bringing them to the island. Oh well, I guess we'll never know haha xD

Really, I think he just did that (brought the parents in in the first place and mention them every now and then) to show that Sora and Riku aren't orphans. We see nothing at all of their home lives on a regular bases but we're meant to assume that they live perfectly normal lives, including having (loving) parents. Had the parents never been mentioned I think people would be even more confused. :p

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards

Exactly, if you're going to mention them or at least hear them, then at least have sora acknowledge them and the fact that he might never see them again

Last edited:

Ruran

Awards
Exactly, if you're going to mention them or at least hear them, then at least has sora acknowledge them and the fact that he might never see them again

Riku already acknowledged this. Since he told Sora directly that they may never see their parents again then perhaps it could be assumed he had already took that fact to heart.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Riku already acknowledged this. Since he told Sora directly that they may never see their parents again then perhaps it could be assumed he had already took that fact to heart.

Oh yeah that's right. Well to be more specific, sora should have acknowledged it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back