• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Editorial ► KHInsider Reviews: Kingdom Hearts -HD 1.5 ReMIX- Japan Import

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards
Re: KHInsider Reviews: Kingdom Hearts -HD 1.5 ReMIX-

Wait a minute.

You can completely skip worlds? When? How? I knew 100 Acre Wood (and Atlantica in II) was optional, but I thought you had to do all the others.KHIIFM has a Theater Mode already. Kingdom Hearts FM never did, but it would've been nice if they added it.

As previously stated you can skip a total of three worlds though I tend to play all of the worlds so that I feel I saw the whole game (though Monstro and Atlantica are very annoying lol). Since KH2FM will give KH2 a Theatre Mode this means KH1 will be the only game without one! lol And not being able to skip scenes still is going to suck when I fight Riku in Hallow Bastion (I still have problems against him xD).

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Aw, Chaser finally gets to play (Re:)Chain of Memories. ;A;
yay

Not sure if it being "prettier" than before will help much, but then again, it didn't help much with a complete overhaul from GBA to PS2.
Prettier helps *u*

I'm honestly a little shocked and disappointed that no Theater Mode was implemented for KHFM somehow, and really would have enjoyed a dual audio function. I guess that means no Theater Mode for KH2 when 2.5 comes out... Bummer! :(
I had my doubts, but when it didn't unlock after the credits I was disappointed.

Wait a minute.

You can completely skip worlds? When? How? I knew 100 Acre Wood (and Atlantica in II) was optional, but I thought you had to do all the others.KHIIFM has a Theater Mode already. Kingdom Hearts FM never did, but it would've been nice if they added it.
You can skip Olympus or one of Halloween Town/Monstro/Atlantica. For a speedrun, I suggest Atlantica.

Setsuna ♥;6006566 said:
In anycase awesome review ! Kind of makes me want to write my own, if I have time later in the way I'll throw one together with my own thoughts.
You should definitely do it! We're very big on user contribution~

Nice review for KHI though I wish you explained more on Chain of Memories and especially Days. I want to know fan's opinions on Days.
Sorry about that! I thought that since I hadn't finished even half of CoM and speed through Days, it wouldn't be good to talk a lot about them.

As previously stated you can skip a total of three worlds.
Three worlds?

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com

And not being able to skip scenes still is going to suck when I fight Riku in Hallow Bastion (I still have problems against him xD).

I think Chaser meant he couldn't skip the opening CG sequence? And the only other scene he couldn't skip besides the text scenes was a random normal cutscene that wasn't programmed to be skipped, not sure which one. Dear God, I hope it's not the one before the Rikunort fight. You should still typically be able to skip the voiced cutscenes though.

It's really pretty. Like really gorgeous. If you have a big HDTV, it really shines. The anti-aliasing is really good so you rarely see any distracting jaggies, and the graphics are stunning for an HD movie made on whatever engine they use for Kingdom Hearts these days. The richness of the colors and sound quality are absolutely fantastic too.

Also, one thing that I love about the Osaka team is their ability to create emotive eye movements. They added a lot of it in KHFM, and Days naturally has it since they built it from the ground up. It goes a long way in making the characters feel more alive.

*disappointment negated* 8}

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

I think Chaser meant he couldn't skip the opening CG sequence? And the only other scene he couldn't skip besides the text scenes was a random normal cutscene that wasn't programmed to be skipped, not sure which one. Dear God, I hope it's not the one before the Rikunort fight. You should still typically be able to skip the voiced cutscenes though.
Oh right, I forgot to comment on this.
Yeah, you can't skip the opening scene, text box scenes, and there was one in Traverse Town that I'm pretty sure was voiced that I couldn't skip. Every other one is skippable.

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards

I think it's a bit unfair to judge the Final Mix additions by rushing through the game, because they are (as in the other two title) in most cases there to lengthen the experience: providing extra challenges and adding more reasons to grind.
You really wouldn't notice the difference if you skip half of the game.

I'm honestly a little shocked and disappointed that no Theater Mode was implemented for KHFM somehow, and really would have enjoyed a dual audio function. I guess that means no Theater Mode for KH2 when 2.5 comes out... Bummer! :(
A Theater Mode for KHFM would have been great, but I guess it was just too much work, it would basically equal porting all KH stuff into the KHII engine.

P.S. King Chaser can't you release the official PS3 themes to us here on KHInsider, please I want them so badly and I am sure of it that others want it to.
I don't have the themes, but here is the splash wallpaper, that's at least something right?

Last edited:

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

I think it's a bit unfair to judge the Final Mix additions by rushing through the game, because they are (as in the other two title) in most cases there to lengthen the experience: providing extra challenges and adding more reasons to grind.
You really wouldn't notice the difference if you skip half of the game.
Why not? I sped through the game, am going slow through the game in proud mode now, I've tried battling Xemnas, I've tried out the new synthesis enemies, equipped the new abilities and saw the new scenes. I've seen a lot of what the final mix had to offer, and it really wasn't much.

Yessir_23

Awards

Great review. Like Kenzichi, I would have liked more discussion about Days, but I guess this has been covered now in the comments. Still can't get over the disappointment, though :/ I mean, no Saix fight, many Org members aren't even voiced, and I recall someone saying it doesn't show the Xion fight, or Roxas living in Twilight Town at the end.

On topic, do the CG opening and ending cutscenes look as good as the rest of the game. Whenever they're presented in HD on Youtube, it's always fuzzy :3

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Great review. Like Kenzichi, I would have liked more discussion about Days, but I guess this has been covered now in the comments. Still can't get over the disappointment, though :/ I mean, no Saix fight, many Org members aren't even voiced, and I recall someone saying it doesn't show the Xion fight, or Roxas living in Twilight Town at the end.

On topic, do the CG opening and ending cutscenes look as good as the rest of the game. Whenever they're presented in HD on Youtube, it's always fuzzy :3
Not sure which part of Roxas living in Twilight Town you mean but the opening shows Roxas seeing Hayner and friends walking around, as well as the whole "I hope we go to the beach today" thing at the end of the cinematic cutscenes

The CG is beautiful. No fuzziness :3

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards

Why not? I sped through the game, am going slow through the game in proud mode now, I've tried battling Xemnas, I've tried out the new synthesis enemies, equipped the new abilities and saw the new scenes. I've seen a lot of what the final mix had to offer, and it really wasn't much.
It's sounds like you're were expecting something groundbreaking new when it was just plain ol' KH with upped graphics and some additions. Of course it's not that different, but why buy a HD remake then in the first place? Just to be disappointed it's the same game you played years ago?:wink:

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

It's sounds like you're were expecting something groundbreaking new when it was just plain ol' KH with upped graphics and some additions.
They did hype up Final Mix more than they did with Re:CoM and Days, so it's not entirely my fault that my expectations weren't met. And, to be honest, right now it feels like a drag to play through the first KH. It feels sluggish and slow.

Of course it's not that different, but why buy a HD remake then in the first place? Just to be disappointed it's the same game you played years ago?:wink:
Um, maybe because KH was my first game ever, I could finally play Re:CoM and enjoy all that Days has to offer? Maybe because I was excited about the additions to the game? Maybe because I wanted to provide the members of this forum with a small insight into an english-speaker's opinion on the remaster?

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards

I don't say it's your fault and these reasons you list are all perfectly fine.

I think the problem here is that the Final Mix is just too late, we know about the new weapons, the new enemies, the new Ansem's Reports and the new Secret Ending for quite some time now, they are not exciting anymore.
And the other additions like the Gummi Missions and the better journal are somewhat okay but forgettable.

In the end it's about the question if you like to replay these old games (and the movie) with fancier graphics and more stuff you already knew about or not. But that's the same for every HD remake, so I'm not sure where the hype comes from.

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards

Three worlds?

Yes, the ones you mentioned and Hundred Acre Wood. That's the one I skipped when I first played KH1 because I forgot about it. xD

Oh right, I forgot to comment on this.
Yeah, you can't skip the opening scene, text box scenes, and there was one in Traverse Town that I'm pretty sure was voiced that I couldn't skip. Every other one is skippable.

Oh okay that's a relief. :p I wonder why you can't skip the one scene in Traverse Town?

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards

Kind of a bummer about the cutscene skipping and lack of theater mode in KH1, but your description of how good it looks has me totally stoked!

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Yes, the ones you mentioned and Hundred Acre Wood. That's the one I skipped when I first played KH1 because I forgot about it. xD
I always forget about 100 Acre Woods!

Oh okay that's a relief. :p I wonder why you can't skip the one scene in Traverse Town?
I don't know. I'm fairly certain it was a spoken scene so being unable to skip it was annoying.
Kind of a bummer about the cutscene skipping and lack of theater mode in KH1, but your description of how good it looks has me totally stoked!

anime10121

Awards

@King Chaser Hey, just to let you know, the additions in KH1FM and KHBBSFM arent anywhere near what was put in KH2FM, so at least we can look forward to seeing those additions in the inevitable KH2.5HDR :D

Also it kinda sucks to hear about the camera still being sloppy after implementing the right stick as a control option, I really hoped that it would vastly improve, but oh well, I never really had many problems with the original L2/R2 combo, so any improvement is welcomed :)

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Also it kinda sucks to hear about the camera still being sloppy after implementing the right stick as a control option, I really hoped that it would vastly improve, but oh well, I never really had many problems with the original L2/R2 combo, so any improvement is welcomed :)

The camera issues in KH1 seem to probably be an engine issue and how they programmed the way it moves and interacts with objects and rooms. The team who worked on the HD remaster said they had to relearn the code for the first Kingdom Hearts since it had been years since it had been used, so they probably could only do so much for it without having to change other aspects.

If you were fine with L2/R2, you won't really be bugged by the camera now. xD

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards

@King Chaser Hey, just to let you know, the additions in KH1FM and KHBBSFM arent anywhere near what was put in KH2FM, so at least we can look forward to seeing those additions in the inevitable KH2.5HDR :D

That's why I can't wait for 2.5. I've been wanting to play KH2FM so bad! :p I didn't really have too much trouble with the L2/R2 setup either so I should be ok with the camera in 1.5.

KonjikinoSora

I heard that the camera in Final Mix is much more tolerable when you turn off the auto-camera function.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back