• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► KH 1.5 ReMIX Trailer Released!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv
Re: KH 1.5 ReMix Trailer Released!

I do remember KH2 having shortcut menus, I'm pretty sure they can add that, but I'm not so sure, it might not feel the same KH we played back then, but I'm all for it.
KH1 had them too, but it was much more limited than in 2 (I don't think you could put items in the shortcut in KH1). I hope they update that.

And the Auto-Reload system too.

Jadentheman

Bronze Member

No, you can't. Why? Because the game is rendered at a specific resolution. To make it bigger, you must stretch it. The information needed to present the game at a higher resolution is not included on the disc.

Most graphics are created at a much higher resolution than what is needed, then compressed when rendered for the actual game disc. So often times, developers only have to transfer the data from their work files at a higher resolution. But of course, that's not always the case. But at least the developer has access to tools where the graphics can be tweaked with. Hackers are restricted to filters.

Today You Learned....
Kingdom Hearts I & Final Mix - Widescreen Hack Tutorial + Gameplay (On Console) - YouTube

[video=youtube;XMbaVqe3LVw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMbaVqe3LVw[/video]

Not stretched and clearly ran on a REAL PS2 with no abnormalities at all.

OK I'm done with this. Also emulators are not illegal. If you own the console, dump the BIOS yourself, and buy the games, you're in your right to use it. And it goes really well. All someone has to do do is port the new HD textures and HUD to the original and bam

Last edited by a moderator:

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards

I for one like the remastering, and don't mnd the cropping.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Stop. We are done talking about PCSX2 vs this HD remaster crap because it is a discussion going nowhere. If you want to talk about it, make a thread to complain about it or something. This is to discuss the trailer, and that is it. Compare the graphics to the original game playable on the PS2. That's fine, but if I hear PCSX2 brought up as an argument against why this HD remaster sucks, I will not hesitate to...do something!

Also do not link people to emulators or websites related unless you want to receive an infraction. Thanks~

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com

I don't mind the cropping on the account that it's pretty as shit.

Wondering though: Do we know whether or not the game will support 1080p? The trailer is only 720p, so was curious.

Jadentheman

Bronze Member

Some say that the PS3 can only go up to 720p for games? Although there are some PSN games that do 1080p. I know Okami HD will be 1080p, but the GOd of War remasters and Silent Hill were only 720p I think.

EDIT: I see Final Fantasy X HD will have Stereo 3D support

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_remasters_for_PlayStation_consoles

Hoping for KH to redeem itself with 3D!!!

Lunarmaster54

Her Trouble-making Paladin
Awards

I personally don't really care about cropping. I loved watching the trailer and it got me pumped up in anticipation to play the game. My only worry is it not coming stateside. When do we normally find out about NA releases for kh games?

Haeralis

Remains of the Judgement
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com

Case if point of Silent Hill HD collection, it redubbed 2 and 3 (although SH2 had the original cast as a option), so they MIGHT redub with current/new faces. So sorry if this ruins the 'KH1 nostalgia'.

Oh it will, and if they do that then I will reconsider my purchase. I already have the Final Mix anyways.

Halcyon

i dont care if its in Jap audio and if it feels awkward hearing goofy and donald speak in Jap, I just want eng subs so I can (re)play this game *w*

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards

Somebody posted that the cutscenes are cropped. I dont see that. they were proabably extended for 16:9 frame.

that is unfortunate. But you gotta remember that most of the artwork is still viewable in game outside those scenes and doesnt really change. That's different to the crop jobs that Disney and others have done with some movies, but it does cramp the framing a bit. Still, it looks like it could work that way.

Honestly, you can get this same level of detail with PCSX2 without the cropping. The only real difference will be the updated Re:CoM cutscenes (as the were originally FMVs that won't properly upscale) and the tweaked models (not to mention anything related to 358/2 Days, but that's given). Unless they're still hiding something amazing (or drop the fish faces in the final release), I'm not sold. I don't own a PS3, nor do I want to drop $250+ on a dying console that will be outdated come next fall. If we see an Xbox 360 release stateside, on the other hand...

PS3 is far from dying. Even with next gen consoles(which is unlikely to be next year), it'll take at least another 3 years to outmode this generation

Last edited by a moderator:

LordPhantomhive

Awards

Eh the cropping might end up being a slight annoyance in some places, but overall it looks like SE is doing a fine job with this collection. At least it not something like the Silent Hill HD collection lol.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards

Damn I was right that it is a lot brighter on DI.

Also I think this is the most impressive part of the HD remastering:

4DRv3.png

HcNJj.png

Mind you the second one is from the PSX2 emulator so it isn't what people usually see from their composite video setup, but you can definitely see the difference.

It's pinker! Though one could question the lack of shadows.

Also, Kairi's face is rounder in the other comparison.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

It's pinker! Though one could question the lack of shadows.

Also, Kairi's face is rounder in the other comparison.

What lack of shadows? The shadows are there. Perhaps not as dark, but I think that is better anyways because I found some scenes in KH1 to be too dark to see on my TV. I was pointing out more of the flying debris xD

johnboy3434

Awards

While a lot of people (probably most) don't mind one way or the other, altering a work's aspect ratio is objectively a bad thing. It destroys the intended composition of the shot by the director. Rather than cutting off the top and bottom of the picture, I would have preferred having the 4:3 image "extended" (not stretched) to 16:9 during gameplay with black bars appearing on the left and right during cutscenes. So no, I am not happy about the cropping.

However, since this is a video game and not a movie, a perfect image isn't my top priority. My main concern is gameplay, and if this gets an American release*, the actual new content provided by KHFM is more than enough to sell me on it. Plus, as has been pointed out, while we may not be getting the whole picture, the portion we are getting will be considerably clearer.

Here's some math for you: The native resolution of KH is 512x447. They are cutting off the top and bottom eighths (1/4 total) of this image. The resulting image is roughly 512x335. Now, we don't know what the resolution of this ReMix will be, since not all games for a particular system have the same rez. However, let's assume that Square is being truthful and the product is truly HD. For a 16:9 picture, that means a minimum resolution of 1280x720 for the same area as the aforementioned 512x335 image. That's 2.5 times the horizontal rez and about 2.15 times the vertical rez. This basically means the amount of detail is increased by a factor of nearly 5.4. Full 1080p has six times the resolution of NTSC 480p, so (at appropriate seating distances) the difference between the this ReMix and the original will be comparable to the difference between an average Blu-ray and an average NTSC DVD. I am greatly pleased with this.

*I will be absolutely furious if we miss out again. I know life isn't fair and stuff, but is it really too much to ask for some equal treatment, Square?

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards

*repeatedly throws wallet at screen but nothing happens*

Marly

All right, don't have a crap attack
Awards

omg thank you jesus

Status
Not open for further replies.