• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

"Who else will I eat my ice cream with" Has an actual meaning behind it...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

NobodyWithAHeart

So the ice cream, Axel would take Roxas to Twilight Tower after days on the job, they became friends (in a sense that nobodies could be friends, let alone friendly) and they would have ice cream together.

A little later on, Xion joined in and became friends with Roxas and Axel.

So there's the importance of that line right there, the thought that because of them being friends, it made them feel like they had hearts.

Hope I cleared things up, I mostly posted this because ofidiots on youtube saying it's a stupid line.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
This is probably going to get answered before I finish typing... but the truth is, in the Japanese version he didn't say that at all. He said something like "come on, the three of us are going to eat ice cream together again!" but they had to make the line shorter to fit the timing in English.

Other than that, yes. Ice cream = sex in Roxas' mind

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
This is probably going to get answered before I finish typing... but the truth is, in the Japanese version he didn't say that at all. He said something like "come on, the three of us are going to eat ice cream together again!" but they had to make the line shorter to fit the timing in English.

Other than that, yes. Ice cream = sex in Roxas' mind

Lol goldpanner, "sex". *ggg*

Although it's true, the japanese line captures it much better.
It's also sadder knowing the true meaning of "eating ice-cream together" = symbol of friendship. It only shows how basic and simple Roxas's mindset still is because no one bothered teaching him more about the concept (which is not surprising considering what a bunch of jerkasses the Organization members are).

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
Roxas' only love was Sea Salt Ice Cream - which is why he hung out with Axel and her in the eventual end - because he'd get ice cream. He didn't care about them at all, nooo - just dat Sea Salt ice creams.

Vani

LOVEY DOVEY DOVEY
Roxas' only love was Sea Salt Ice Cream - which is why he hung out with Axel and her in the eventual end - because he'd get ice cream. He didn't care about them at all, nooo - just dat Sea Salt ice creams.
I literally burst out laughing when I read this.

No, but OP you're pretty much right. Ice cream = friendship in Roxas's (and I'm sure a bunch of other little 'fluffy' kids') mind...

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
Roxas has no real friends. Just some angsty brother figure and a betchy mom figure. he never learned friendship anyway. He was practically mind bonked by Xehanort, and so really, sharing ice cream is just like him getting his fix for acceptance. That is if we are actually following the theory that he had no heart... but we all know that Nomoura breaks the rules he sets. Always.

Zul

Awards
I mostly posted this because ofidiots on youtube saying it's a stupid line.

They fail to understand that Xion's sacrifice was to stop the incessant ice-cream ingestion in order to save Roxas from type-2 adult-onset Diabeetus.

Unfortunately he continued gorfing that stuff down for six more days with HPO, fortunately it was just computer code that tasted like ice-cream.

Key of Valor

The Professor
Square Enix's localization department is just terrible, which is especially apparent with all the scenes they messed up in KH'Days.

The Japanese dialogue is better since it shows that Roxas was in denial while Xion was fading away in his arms. Interestingly enough, the dialogue in the English and the dialogue in the Japanese version have the opposite effect and implications.

In the English version, Roxas' words are selfishly directed towards himself and his own needs, which makes him seem a bit unsympathetic for Xion's fate. The last words he says to Xion is an expression of his own concern for how her passing will be inconvenient for him. The dialogue, when analyzed alone, makes Roxas appear as though he doesn't have a heart.

In the Japanese version, Roxas resorts to a state of denial, trying to insist that everything will be okay, just like how it used to be. Denial is coping mechanism for dealing with the pain of grief, which Roxas would only need to alleviate such suffering if he could process emotional pain. Therefore, the dialogue, when analyzed alone, makes Roxas appear as though he has a heart.

The worst part is, the localization department pulled a similar screwup in the opening scene in the game. In the Japanese version, Roxas basically said that he might have a heart, and in the English version, he basically said that he probably doesn't have a heart... It's a similar mistaken in two different scenes in the exact same game... For these reasons (and many other reasons) I think Square Enix's localization department is very incompetent.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
The worst part is, the localization department pulled a similar screwup in the opening scene in the game. In the Japanese version, Roxas basically said that he might have a heart, and in the English version, he basically said that he probably doesn't have a heart... It's a similar mistaken in two different scenes in the exact same game... For these reasons (and many other reasons) I think Square Enix's localization department is very incompetent.

To be frank, in the English version Roxas says that he doesn't know, not that he probably doesn't have one.
After that, he also says that maybe Sora may find the answer later on, since he himself can't investigate on this further since he has to disappear, which he then finally accepted.
I don't know the exact wording of the japanese version, but I bet it is also kept vague there, as Roxas has no way of actually knowing if he carried a heart or not.

Key of Valor

The Professor
Sephiroth0812 said:
To be frank, in the English version Roxas says that he doesn't know, not that he probably doesn't have one.
After that, he also says that maybe Sora may find the answer later on, since he himself can't investigate on this further since he has to disappear, which he then finally accepted.
I don't know the exact wording of the japanese version, but I bet it is also kept vague there, as Roxas has no way of actually knowing if he carried a heart or not.

In both the English and Japanese versions, Roxas said he wasn't sure whether or not he had a heart. In the Japanese version though, he went on to say that maybe the heart isn't something you can feel, which suggests that Roxas might have a heart but is unable to feel it. In the crappy English version though, Roxas says that the heart is something people should be able to feel, which suggests that Roxas doesn't have a heart since he is unable to feel one within himself, which, according his stupid localized logic, is the only way to prove whether or not he has a heart.

In the Japanese version, Roxas basically says that his uncertainty about whether or not he has a heart doesn't prove anything.

In the English version, Roxas basically says that his uncertainty towards whether or not he has a heart is proof that he doesn't have a heart.

So in conclusion, Square Enix's localization department is incompetent.

KevVentus

Roxas has no real friends. Just some angsty brother figure and a betchy mom figure. he never learned friendship anyway. He was practically mind bonked by Xehanort, and so really, sharing ice cream is just like him getting his fix for acceptance. That is if we are actually following the theory that he had no heart... but we all know that Nomoura breaks the rules he sets. Always.

I hope your not referring to Terra and Aqua?

I understood the meaning behind the line. It was silly but it was kind of an inside joke for fans to empathize with more. Although after reading about the translation issues, the Japanese line sounds like it would have been more effective.

Awards
Square Enix's localization department is just terrible, which is especially apparent with all the scenes they messed up in KH'Days.

I dunno, man. If Days had just one thing going for it, I think it was the localization, sans maybe a few lines.
I have no idea what the Japanese dialogue was like in comparison, but you can tell that they took a few liberties with the localization which, I think, payed off.

For instance, I doubt Xigbar was originally talking about a drowned goldfish, but it's lines like those that give the dialogue much more personality, that make things sound more conversational, more natural. And then there are some idioms and wordplay in the Japanese game (eg puu-chan), that are not translatable but the translators nonetheless did a good job making their own idioms/wordplay to convey a similar wit (eg poppet).

Yeah, there are a few out of place lines and unfortunately the infamous "ice cream" line is one of them. What makes it so bad is that it occurs at the climax of the game and completely ruins any kind of mood that scene was trying to establish.
I've seen many of the justifications for why they chose to translate that line the way they did, and they're all pretty valid. For instance, Roxas, with his childlike mentality, associates ice cream with friendship, so that's his way of saying that he will be without a friend (having been betrayed by Axel). And that's fine if that's how you want to look at it. But it doesn't change that the line was awkward and out of place, even if it has some kind of meaning behind it. Don't tell me you didn't cringe when Roxas said it.

And in any case, even if they were trying to match it up syllable-wise with the Japanese lip-syncing, I think they still could have found a better way to word it.

XIII Heartless

Head Mom In Charge
Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com
I dunno, man. If Days had just one thing going for it, I think it was the localization, sans maybe a few lines.
I have no idea what the Japanese dialogue was like in comparison, but you can tell that they took a few liberties with the localization which, I think, payed off.

For instance, I doubt Xigbar was originally talking about a drowned goldfish, but it's lines like those that give the dialogue much more personality, that make things sound more conversational, more natural. And then there are some idioms and wordplay in the Japanese game (eg puu-chan), that are not translatable but the translators nonetheless did a good job making their own idioms/wordplay to convey a similar wit (eg poppet).

Yeah, there are a few out of place lines and unfortunately the infamous "ice cream" line is one of them. What makes it so bad is that it occurs at the climax of the game and completely ruins any kind of mood that scene was trying to establish.
I've seen many of the justifications for why they chose to translate that line the way they did, and they're all pretty valid. For instance, Roxas, with his childlike mentality, associates ice cream with friendship, so that's his way of saying that he will be without a friend (having been betrayed by Axel). And that's fine if that's how you want to look at it. But it doesn't change that the line was awkward and out of place, even if it has some kind of meaning behind it.
Don't tell me you didn't cringe when Roxas said it.

And in any case, even if they were trying to match it up syllable-wise with the Japanese lip-syncing, I think they still could have found a better way to word it.

Jesus Christ, thank you!!! Personally, seconds after he said it, I was like "ok, I guess that's his way of saying he'll be alone", but the fact that it took me out of the mood of the scene and forced me to try understanding/justifying it's placement in the dialogue is a no-no. That scene had a lot going for it right up to that moment.

KevVentus

I didn't actually play Days, I just watched cutscenes online. So the line wasn't that big of a deal for me.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
In both the English and Japanese versions, Roxas said he wasn't sure whether or not he had a heart. In the Japanese version though, he went on to say that maybe the heart isn't something you can feel, which suggests that Roxas might have a heart but is unable to feel it. In the crappy English version though, Roxas says that the heart is something people should be able to feel, which suggests that Roxas doesn't have a heart since he is unable to feel one within himself, which, according his stupid localized logic, is the only way to prove whether or not he has a heart.

In the Japanese version, Roxas basically says that his uncertainty about whether or not he has a heart doesn't prove anything.

In the English version, Roxas basically says that his uncertainty towards whether or not he has a heart is proof that he doesn't have a heart.

So in conclusion, Square Enix's localization department is incompetent.

Ah, I see. That's really a bad mistake on their part because it totally changes the intended meaning around.

I hope your not referring to Terra and Aqua?

I certainly hope that as well, as Roxas has no business with Terra and Aqua and vice versa, they don't even know each other exist.
Although Axel may at least partly fit the brother figure to a degree.

I've seen many of the justifications for why they chose to translate that line the way they did, and they're all pretty valid. For instance, Roxas, with his childlike mentality, associates ice cream with friendship, so that's his way of saying that he will be without a friend (having been betrayed by Axel). And that's fine if that's how you want to look at it. But it doesn't change that the line was awkward and out of place, even if it has some kind of meaning behind it. Don't tell me you didn't cringe when Roxas said it.

You may laugh but I indeed didn't cringe at it because I immediately associated it with all the much "ice-cream"-stuff that happened throughout the whole game before, Roxas just being barely a year old (ergo simple mindset), Axel's betrayal and those instances being the only truly happy moments he had.
It was actually easy to come to that conclusion just with keeping those four points mentioned above in your head and connect it.
If all it was even more impacting because of that.

Jesus Christ, thank you!!! Personally, seconds after he said it, I was like "ok, I guess that's his way of saying he'll be alone", but the fact that it took me out of the mood of the scene and forced me to try understanding/justifying it's placement in the dialogue is a no-no. That scene had a lot going for it right up to that moment.

I didn't even need to "justify" it or try to understand it because the justifcation was already there and built up through the whole game of Days. The subtext for it was already spread out there.

Last edited:

MASTER260

Awards
Personally, I took it as, when Roxas thought that, "Friends are people you eat ice cream with," eating ice cream became a symbol of friendship & thus, when Xion died...

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Personally, I took it as, when Roxas thought that, "Friends are people you eat ice cream with," eating ice cream became a symbol of friendship & thus, when Xion died...

Great, I didn't even remember that particular line from him which strengthens the point even more, but yep, that's practically the whole meaning behind it.

Awards
You may laugh but I indeed didn't cringe at it because I immediately associated it will all the much "ice-cream"-stuff that happened throughout the whole game before, Roxas just being barely a year old (ergo simple mindset), Axel's betrayal and those instances being the only truly happy moments he had.
It was actually easy to come to that conclusion just with keeping those four points mentioned above in your head and connect it.
If all it was even more impacting because of that.

I never said anything about it not being "easy" to come to a conclusion about that line, it is easy.
The conclusions people draw are just not enough to justify the awkwardness of that line.

If I said at the climactic moment in a scene, "I eat poop," and poop has some symbolic meaning that is weaved into the narrative, that doesn't change that it's a shitty line. "Who else will I eat ice cream with?" is at face value a very goofy line, and adding some meaning behind it doesn't make it any less awkward sounding.

It could have had the same meaning and be phrased entirely differently, ie not sound stupid.

Axеl

Website
z7.invisionfree.com
I hadn't realized that the Japanese line was different in this case and I wish they hadn't bungled that, because it took me out of the moment too. But while we're on the subject of justifying it anyway, it occurred to me that watching a friend die right in front of your eyes is kind of one of those situations where your head's not going to be together. If it were me I'd be panicking all to hell and saying some pretty stupid stuff, and wishing I could say better or more comforting things the entire time.

Just for thoughts on dealing with it after the fact. But that's not really the issue as far as localization goes and it's still awkward for something actually composed with the intent to mean something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back