• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Dream Drop Distance's Dream Eaters - An Editorial

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Narukami

ᴋɪɴɢᴘɪɴ &#743
Awards
Website
stormdiver.tumblr.com
Dream Drop Distance's Dream Eaters! - Kingdom Hearts Insider

Out of all of the new things coming to Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance, the most interesting one to be revealed so far in my opinion is the Dream Eaters. Sure, the addition of Neku Sakuraba from The World Ends With You, is pretty exciting, but unlike him the Dream Eaters are going to be part of the entire game. They pretty much play the biggest part besides Sora and Riku.

Before I even read anything about the Dream Eaters, I just happened to see pictures of two of them: the “Wondernyan” and the “Koumori Bat.” When I first laid my eyes on the renders I couldn’t help but say “Awe, how cute.” Although mostly everybody can agree that the Dream Eaters we’ve seen are for the most part cute and cuddly creatures, I have been noticing some people giving negative comments about their looks. I’ve read in quite a few places about people’s opinions that they are too immature and kid-like. While I can partially agree with their view, I’m not too sure what is wrong with that. Kingdom Hearts is not the most mature game series to begin with. The series is filled with Disney and young teenage characters. The Dream Eaters fit perfectly right beside these other characters.

After getting past their adorable looks, I read a couple interviews and news articles about their background and role in the game. The Dream Eaters reside in the Realm of Sleep. There are two types of them: Nightmares and Spirits. The Nightmares are going to be the main enemies of the game, similar to the Heartless, Nobodies and Unversed of the past titles. They even have their own emblem, just like the others. With regards to the plot, Nightmares are said to plant nightmares and eat dreams. Spirits are quite different from the Nightmares. Actually, they are more like exact opposites. Spirits eat the nightmares that are planted by the Nightmares. They help Sora and Riku by granting them abilities and helping them in battle. They also somehow enable Sora and Riku to travel to different worlds, although this hasn’t been explained yet. From watching the trailers and reading information on them I can easily relate them to the summons of Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts II, as well as D-Links from Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep. Not only do these Dream Eaters aid you in combat, but they level up as well. This leads me to believe that the more you level them up, the more abilities they open up for Sora and Riku. Another interesting thing that I read is that you can have multiple Dream Eaters brought into battle at once. This probably means that you can mix and match their skills as well.

All Dream Eaters share a few common traits when it comes to their appearance. They all resemble animals, such as cats, bats and pandas. They also seem to resemble some past designs for Heartless. Spirits are generally brighter in colors, although it has been said that you can edit the colors of the ones that you have with you during the game. Their eyes are black with plus sign shaped pupils. Nightmares are darker in color with red eyes. This gives them a more sinister look and separates them from the more friendly looking Spirits.

Sora and Riku start the game with Wondernyan (or Wonder Meow) and Koumori Bat respectively. I feel like they were almost intentionally made for them. Wondernyan is rather large and looks awfully goofy, which corresponds to Sora’s ditzy, carefree attitude. Koumori Bat, while bright in color, seems dark and very slick in style, just like Riku. Neku also seems to get a Spirit, one known as a “Neko Cat.” Tetsuya Nomura, the director and character designer of the entire series has stated that there will be dozens of Dream Eaters that the characters will be able to utilize in the game. I just can’t wait to see what the inspiration behind them will be as well as what animals they will look like. (I’m praying that there will be a fox Dream Eater.)

Besides their purpose in combat and the plot of the game, Square Enix seems to be taking advantage of the features of Nintendo’s 3DS in order to let you interact with them. By using the augmented reality feature in it’s camera you can make Dream Eaters magically come to life, allowing you to pet and play with them. This is only a minor gimmick but I think it’s pretty awesome that they are using some of the 3DS’s unique features.

There’s just so many things that I’m loving so far about the Dream Eaters. I thought it was clever of the designers to use them as both Sora and Riku’s friends and their enemies as well as how they contribute to combat. While there’s still many things that I still don’t know about these new creatures, I am positive that they are my favorite thing about Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance.

Thoughts? Opinions? Anything you'd like to say?
This was mostly informative, while I did give some of my input.

Last edited:

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Yeah, I'm so glad we're going to be able to use tons of different Dream Eaters, because that Panda in the demo truly terrified me.

Oh, a fox Dream Eater... you read my mind. <3

You make an interesting point about all of the Dream Eater's being, essentially, representations of thier personalities. I noticed Wondernyan, obviously, is a giant derp just like Sora. But I didn't really think about Koumori or Neko Cat being so similar to Riku and Neku.

axel95

Awards
Very interesting read. I didn't know exactly hoe Square was planning on using them, and this shed a little bit of light on that.

Rohan

I'm calling it now, the Dream Eaters are in some way connected to Master Xehanort.

My way of thinking to suggest this is the emblem, it looks like the emblem from the Heartless, Nobodies, Unversed and TVA.

That is all

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
Good read. The first time I saw the images of the Dream Eaters I was filled with all kinds of excitement. But that could be attributed to all the KH3D news that was coming out at the time. Getting to use multiple Dream Eaters for combat and being able to customize their colors is what really excites me now.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
It would be aswesome (Albeit extremely unlikely) to get the bosses in my party.

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv
This is horrible! A disgrace! Do it again, with twice as many words! >:[ ]

Actually, since I'm not editor-in-chief of the Daily Bugle, this is quite nice.

And yes, the Dream Eaters shall be a nice addition.

The_Dream_Shield

Website
backloggery.com
I totally agree!! And I am also liking how you can use the ones you've gathered outside of the game itself with the 3DS's camera thing, at least from what I can tell from one of those trailers. I enjoy this prospect xD

shiny milotic

Surfing the dunes with a red cloaked stranger
I totally agree!! And I am also liking how you can use the ones you've gathered outside of the game itself with the 3DS's camera thing, at least from what I can tell from one of those trailers. I enjoy this prospect xD
Yeah, I can't wait to have some fun on the augmented reality playing with these dream eaters!

You make an interesting point about all of the Dream Eater's being, essentially, representations of thier personalities. I noticed Wondernyan, obviously, is a giant derp just like Sora. But I didn't really think about Koumori or Neko Cat being so similar to Riku and Neku.
I'd love to see a fox dream eater, too. I also find it interesting that the dream eaters seem to represent their personalities as well. I'm not sure how to explain Bat bat, though.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
Yeah, I'm so glad we're going to be able to use tons of different Dream Eaters, because that Panda in the demo truly terrified me.

A fox dream eater would be so awesome. With the ones revealed so far, my favorites are Riku's companions.

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
As I promised, feedback! :D

It was a nice read, that's for sure! I even learned something (that they make Riku and Sora able to travel to other worlds).

It gives a nice point of view on the Dream Eaters and it's very educational too if you don't know much about them so in other words, great job and continue the great work!

Crazy Mario

The One, The Only, Jumpman!
They're epic! I hope Square can use feedback from Dream Eater abilities and apply them to future world partners so they can actually be useful for once!

Xeon{Myroku}

Demonic Pony
Dream Eaters? Okay I can see that being apart of the title of the game. So....there are good ones and bad ones. Good ones are called Spirits who aid Sora and Riku to defeat the enemy ones known as Nightmares which create, nightmares.

How come this is sounding like a Pokemon thing or Monster Rancher?

Dark Hearts King

Website
chronicum.wordpress.com
img-135.jpg

Check this out. Sora's swinging the Thorn Lion like a flail by grabbing its tail.

mooglekupor

Awards
Dream Eaters? Okay I can see that being apart of the title of the game. So....there are good ones and bad ones. Good ones are called Spirits who aid Sora and Riku to defeat the enemy ones known as Nightmares which create, nightmares.

How come this is sounding like a Pokemon thing or Monster Rancher?

Exactly. Besides, since the Nobodies I haven't seen any well-made enemy. The unversed were kinda heartless 2.0: the movements, their looks even their types reminded me of the heartless. And their description did NOT match what I expected from them-their looks didnt resemble negative emotions, hell , their looks didn't resemble ANY kind of emotion- they had freakish moves like the heartless did and that's it.

The problem is that the Dream Eaters so far look like they're going to be heartless 3.0. I know they look cute and all and that definitely wins over nearly all female players (which is a good move btw) but come on; let the nightmares be terrifying, scary,have a surreal touch in their looks, and have a bit of an unpredictable movement. I'm not saying they should look like enemy npcs from SIlent Hill. They should look like, well, nightmares.

Crazy Mario

The One, The Only, Jumpman!
Exactly. Besides, since the Nobodies I haven't seen any well-made enemy. The unversed were kinda heartless 2.0: the movements, their looks even their types reminded me of the heartless. And their description did NOT match what I expected from them-their looks didnt resemble negative emotions, hell , their looks didn't resemble ANY kind of emotion- they had freakish moves like the heartless did and that's it.

The problem is that the Dream Eaters so far look like they're going to be heartless 3.0. I know they look cute and all and that definitely wins over nearly all female players (which is a good move btw) but come on; let the nightmares be terrifying, scary,have a surreal touch in their looks, and have a bit of an unpredictable movement. I'm not saying they should look like enemy npcs from SIlent Hill. They should look like, well, nightmares.
While I understand your reasoning of Nightmares being scarier, you have to realize something. Dreams are essentially unpredictable, you can barely remember them, have no control over which ones you want to see and they sometimes reflect upon your emotions. While things like zombies or serial killers are scary, there are thing that personally make us nervous and scared like clowns, animals, bugs, objects, places, etc. While some nightmares might sound silly to you, to other people they're scared to the brim which is what I like about these creatures. Unlike Heartless or Unversed, these creatures are like twisted versions of things that we already know like pandas, whales, cats, etc. which is kind of how we depict scary things as compared to when we see them in real life.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Actually, their eyes represented their emotions. :/
Shoe_Gazer.png
Chest_Spider.png
Bruiser.png

That's terribly sexist. I like about 4 of the Dream Eaters; most of them look like a cotton candy nightmare to me.

mooglekupor

Awards
While I understand your reasoning of Nightmares being scarier, you have to realize something. Dreams are essentially unpredictable, you can barely remember them, have no control over which ones you want to see and they sometimes reflect upon your emotions. While things like zombies or serial killers are scary, there are thing that personally make us nervous and scared like clowns, animals, bugs, objects, places, etc. While some nightmares might sound silly to you, to other people they're scared to the brim which is what I like about these creatures. Unlike Heartless or Unversed, these creatures are like twisted versions of things that we already know like pandas, whales, cats, etc. which is kind of how we depict scary things as compared to when we see them in real life.

Whether or not a person can remember his or her dreams and whether he or she can control them depends on the person entirely. If you were trying to say that what is scary and what is not is relative, then I completely agree with you. Something that is scary to X might be normal to Y. But still, the frightful things usually don't appear in dreams the same way they do in the real world. That's where a little touch of surrealness could come in: make them look less like resl animals and ... I dunno add four limbs or two more eyes whtaever you get the point hopefully.
Actually, their eyes represented their emotions. :/
That's terribly sexist. I like about 4 of the Dream Eaters; most of them look like a cotton candy nightmare to me.

How is it sexist that women like cute stuff? I didn't say all of them, but a lot of them. Women of my age like cute stuff two, I only know a handful of people who are not like that. Hopefully you did not misunderstand me. Btw: I didn't notice their eyes, but what you say is true I guess. But their eyes are just a small part of their body. The heartless and the nobodies were designed to reflect their personalities with their whole body.

Last edited:

TheKHPlayer

I think the Dream Eaters would make a good edition to KH. Not only you can customize the Spirits, you can play and pet with them on the 3DS. I'm looking forward to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back