• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Lit ► Opening Lines & Favorite Passages

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
bump

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Theart

Hyped Ruler of Honnouji Academy
Awards
bump
And DAMN do I love this book. <3

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Man, Deaver nailed Bond there. I -hate- how the films tend to make Bond look like a trigger happy killer. Sure, Bond kills frequently (I can assume from the fact that Carte Blanche is a literary reboot, and the fact that it mentions Bond's only been a Double-O for about three years, that Bond's body count has gotten too high yet, but it'll build up over the sequels.), but he doesn't particularly enjoy killing, especially when it's not neccessary.

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
“It often happens that the real tragedies of life occur in such an inartistic manner that they hurt us by their crude violence, their absolute incoherence, their absurd want of meaning, their entire lack of style. They affect us just as vulgarity affects us. They give us an impression of sheer brute force, and we revolt against that. Sometimes, however, a tragedy that possesses artistic elements of beauty crosses our lives. If these elements of beauty are real, the whole thing simply appeals to our sense of dramatic effect. Suddenly we find that we are no longer the actors, but the spectators of the play. Or rather we are both. We watch ourselves, and the mere wonder of the spectacle enthralls us.”

— Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray (1891), Chapter VIII.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
"I've been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library."

The Great Gatsby

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
“He awoke each morning with the desire to do right, to be a good and meaningful person, to be, as simple as it sounded and as impossible as it actually was, happy. And during the course of each day his heart would descend from his chest into his stomach. By early afternoon he was overcome by the feeling that nothing was right, or nothing was right for him, and by the desire to be alone. By evening he was fulfilled: alone in the magnitude of his grief, alone in his aimless guilt, alone even in his loneliness. I am not sad, he would repeat to himself over and over, I am not sad. As if he might one day convince himself. Or fool himself. Or convince others--the only thing worse than being sad is for others to know that you are sad. I am not sad. I am not sad. Because his life had unlimited potential for happiness, insofar as it was an empty white room. He would fall asleep with his heart at the foot of his bed, like some domesticated animal that was no part of him at all. And each morning he would wake with it again in the cupboard of his rib cage, having become a little heavier, a little weaker, but still pumping. And by the midafternoon he was again overcome with the desire to be somewhere else, someone else, someone else somewhere else. I am not sad.”

- Everything Is Illuminated

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
“He awoke each morning with the desire to do right, to be a good and meaningful person, to be, as simple as it sounded and as impossible as it actually was, happy. And during the course of each day his heart would descend from his chest into his stomach. By early afternoon he was overcome by the feeling that nothing was right, or nothing was right for him, and by the desire to be alone. By evening he was fulfilled: alone in the magnitude of his grief, alone in his aimless guilt, alone even in his loneliness. I am not sad, he would repeat to himself over and over, I am not sad. As if he might one day convince himself. Or fool himself. Or convince others--the only thing worse than being sad is for others to know that you are sad. I am not sad. I am not sad. Because his life had unlimited potential for happiness, insofar as it was an empty white room. He would fall asleep with his heart at the foot of his bed, like some domesticated animal that was no part of him at all. And each morning he would wake with it again in the cupboard of his rib cage, having become a little heavier, a little weaker, but still pumping. And by the midafternoon he was again overcome with the desire to be somewhere else, someone else, someone else somewhere else. I am not sad.”

- Everything Is Illuminated

god i love that passage. i love that BOOK. ;__;

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
“No man, proclaimed Donne, is an Island, and he was wrong. If we were not islands, we would be lost, drowned in each other’s tragedies. We are insulated (a word that means, literally, remember, made into an island) from the tragedy of others, by our island nature, and by the repetitive shape and form of stories. The shape does not change: there was a human being who was borned, lived, and then, by some means or other, died. There. You may fill in the details from your own experience. As unoriginal as any other tale, as unique as any other life.”

American Gods, Neil Geiman

luna008

"Filling her field of vision were three angels. They had come becuase they had heard a sound-a sound only angels could hear. It was the sound of a human heart breaking." -Fearless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back