• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Want tech help? Here's some information to provide us, so we don't have to ask.

• Thread starter Deleted member 36435
  • Start date

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
D

Deleted member 36435

The problem - Tell us exactly what is happening. Any error messages and/or pictures are useful.

How to reproduce the problem - Tell us what you do you to make the issue appear.

Your computer specifications - What hardware is in your PC or what brand and model is it.

Your operating system - Windows 7? Ubuntu? Mac OSX? What are you using. 32bit or 64bit if you know that.

Your web browser - Is it an issue like you can't play a YouTube video?

What other programs you run - Maybe it's 2 programs interfering with each other

Your antivirus - These can cause a lot of issues

If the issue has happened before

Things you can do to help yourself before asking us:

Google
Reinstalling the program
Updating your drivers
Restarting your computer

-

If there is anything else that should be added let me know.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Okay, recently, my mother gave me her Windows 7 Vaio laptop, but a recovery was required. She borrowed a Windows 7 disc from a friend, but now I have everything but the Internet Driver. Does anyone have a Windows 7 internet driver link? It would be greatly appreciated.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
We're going to need the model number before anyone can help you out.

PCG-71316L

But here's the problem, the model number isn't compatible with the laptop anymore because of the different Windows 7 Recovery Disc. What's more? We don't even know the disc's model number.

Awards
Website
sites.google.com
Drivers affect your computer's hardware, and while they may be different for different operating systems, they will not change because you've installed a new version of windows 7.

Go here: Sony eSupport - PCG-TR3AP1 - News & Alerts

Drivers galore. I'm guessing you want to hook it up to wireless internet, so check out the "wireless" and "wireless lan" categories. You can download them, move them to a flash drive, and install them on your mom's laptop.

Also (this is just to check, for me), could you open up start menu, right click "computer," on the side bar (under control panel home) select the "device manager" link. A new window should open up, check and see if you have any yellow triangles with exclamation points. It's more than likely (definitely) a driver issue if you do.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Drivers affect your computer's hardware, and while they may be different for different operating systems, they will not change because you've installed a new version of windows 7.

Go here: Sony eSupport - PCG-TR3AP1 - News & Alerts

Drivers galore. I'm guessing you want to hook it up to wireless internet, so check out the "wireless" and "wireless lan" categories. You can download them, move them to a flash drive, and install them on your mom's laptop.

Also (this is just to check, for me), could you open up start menu, right click "computer," on the side bar (under control panel home) select the "device manager" link. A new window should open up, check and see if you have any yellow triangles with exclamation points. It's more than likely (definitely) a driver issue if you do.

Yeah, I did. It says that the driver is having issues. Another question, the drivers in wireless and wireless and lan are years old, and this laptop is very recent, they are Windows 7 compatible, right? Because I have a Windows 7.

Awards
Website
sites.google.com
Yeah, I did. It says that the driver is having issues. Another question, the drivers in wireless and wireless and lan are years old, and this laptop is very recent, they are Windows 7 compatible, right? Because I have a Windows 7.

Actually, now that I think about it, that could be problematic. Is there any way you can hardwire this computer to the internet through an ethernet cord? Windows 7 updates most drivers by itself, so if you can get internet, you may be able to fix the problems you're having.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Actually, now that I think about it, that could be problematic. Is there any way you can hardwire this computer to the internet through an ethernet cord? Windows 7 updates most drivers by itself, so if you can get internet, you may be able to fix the problems you're having.

I tried but I'll try it again. Do you want me to name the uninstalled drivers?

Base System Device
Ethernet Controller
Network Controller
PCI Simple Communications Controller
Unknown device

Could you please provide a link to the Windows 7 version of these Drivers?

D

Deleted member 36435

you can always buy one of those external wifi cards which cost like $20 and come with drivers

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
you can always buy one of those external wifi cards which cost like $20 and come with drivers

I haven't been able to find any. I can check Radioshack if I can't get any links to the drivers.

D

Deleted member 36435

I haven't been able to find any. I can check Radioshack if I can't get any links to the drivers.
No, they are little USB cards that come with drivers for them so you can receive a wireless signal without hardwiring.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Did you try downloading the drivers? I know they may have originally been for XP, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't work.

I'll compare them to the driver names I posted.

No, they are little USB cards that come with drivers for them so you can receive a wireless signal without hardwiring.

Well the laptop has wireless built-in, but the driver got erased somehow.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
He's saying that you can get it as a replacement, since the built-in wireless functionality doesn't work.

I know, but the wired connection doesn't work either. Where can I get the cards?

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Places like Best Buy and such. Even Walmart probably sells them (though I don't know for sure since I don't really go to Walmart for electronics).

They literally just look like USB flash drives. You plug them into a USB port, install the software, and it will pick up wireless signals.

Crimson Crashing

Inferno - R.I.P <3
Awards
I have a compaq cq60-215DX, Windows Vista.
My headphone jack won't play anything off my laptop through my headphones. I went to sound and hardware via Control Panel, and when I plug in my headphones, my computer says the jack is working. It will even play noises through my headphones when I test the jack. But besides that, nothing else will play (Like noises off itunes, virtualDJ, or my browser). It acts as though there are no headphones plugged in and just plays through the speakers.

Awards
Website
sites.google.com
My headphone jack won't play anything off my laptop through my headphones. I went to sound and hardware via Control Panel, and when I plug in my headphones, my computer says the jack is working. It will even play noises through my headphones when I test the jack. But besides that, nothing else will play (Like noises off itunes, virtualDJ, or my browser). It acts as though there are no headphones plugged in and just plays through the speakers.

try reinstalling this driver, see where that takes you.

Azurith

Awards
Angels of darkness tread softly in the light.
PCG-71316L

But here's the problem, the model number isn't compatible with the laptop anymore because of the different Windows 7 Recovery Disc. What's more? We don't even know the disc's model number.

When they say the model # they are referring to the model # of the system itself, which should NEVER change. Short of replacing the system as a whole. This means if you purchased a "Supremo ABC123" system from XYZ manufacturer, reinstalling the OS will never affect this. You will always need to look on XYZ's support site for drivers for model # ABC123, etc.

The model # is normally found on the bottom of the system. Typically along with it is a serial# that identifies that unique system and is used for warrantied repairs.

PCG-71316L is not a valid model# for a current Vaio system. From what I have managed to get from the web, that model # is for a system about 7 years old. So its not surprising that Sony no longer has support for it. Many manufacturers limit support to X (usually 5) years.

If the model # you provided was from the disc from another system, then you gave the wrong info. As stated above, the model # needed is usually on the bottom of the system.

The model # is often also located in the BIOS of most systems.
Accessing the BIOS is different for every manufacturer and model.

Normally you should see a "Press (X) key to enter bios..." or "Press (x) key to enter setup..." when the computer starts.

It could be F1, F2, F3, Del, F10, F11, F12, etc..

The main page from the bios will normally have System, CPU, and memory information.

Write down the model # and then search it here:
Sony eSupport - Electronics - Select Your Model

If that still doesn't work, a last effort would be removing the wireless card and getting the information from it directly. This is not recommended as you can damage the system. A camera is highly recommended to use so that you can know exactly how the system looked during each step.

Essentially you would need to disconnect the battery & power cables first.

Secondly would need to ground yourself, else you risk damaging the system from ESD (electrostatic discharge).

Third would be careful removal and documentation of screw location and bottom panel. The wireless card usually has two or three antennae connectors and usually have 1-2(single/solid) wires connected to it. If needed, gently disconnect the wires and document where each wire connected. Most cards will have a connector similar in style to a memory socket but differing in the pins/contacts.

Here is an example of what a wireless card looks like:
http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba_Satellite_M65/big/Toshiba_Satellite_M65_04.jpg

On the card should be the manufacturer and card type if lucky.
Otherwise look for the chip on the wifi card, or at the minimum try to find an FCC code# on the card.
ALL PC parts are supposed to have an FCC code that can be used to identify it.

An example would be "Atheros AL503-BG2 V.3" or "Broadcom BG2321", etc.
Then google for drivers for that card type. Or look at the card manufacturer's website for drivers.

Azurith

Awards
Angels of darkness tread softly in the light.

Aside from Lionheart's recommendation of re installing the audio driver (which is a solid place to start), you may also want to check your audio settings. Normally I would recommend re installing the driver and verifying that the headphones work in a known good device. Since they work during the audio test, we can safely assume they are good.

This leaves audio settings. It is usually accessed via the control panel. You may need to change your view mode to "Small/Large Icons". Specifically look for a "Sounds" option. double click to open it and ensure that the default playback device selected is the headphones or headphone jack. (To change the default sound device, click on the device you want to use then click "set default".) One easy way to do this is simply playing a song while changing the default play back device. Once you hear the audio through the headphones, you are good to go.

Back