• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Batman Complex

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
An Inception/Batman Roleplay

Gotham and Batman. A city and its protector. A symbiotic relationship.

Neither can live without the other anymore

The Batman is dead.​

With the previously established Batman Inc., many of the world's largest cities enjoyed a period of decreasing crime statistics, an almost golden time for citizens. Yet within the wake of these events, an assault led against Batman by Bane and company have robbed the life of Bruce Wayne's true self. As the battle for the cowl begins, the federal government's secret service understands the need for one of their most valuable cities in the world to have a protector.

In the words of the late Wayne "if Batman never existed...well, I guess we just have to invent him". Brokering a deal with the devil, for a very nice amount of money, they hire one of the world's most skilled extractor teams. This team is all but legendary due to the secretive nature of their occupation but they are the only known men and women to have successfully accomplished Inception. The men in black have found the perfect man to take up the cowl. He has the potential for infinite will, his wealth seemingly limitless, and he has even suffered a tragedy which he has repressed. All he needs is one, very simple but very potent idea to set him off.

The Bat is dead. Long live The Bat.​

No, we will not be using the canon characters from Inception. How our would-be Batman looks like, acts, feels, thinks, is under the works but finding a lot of it out is part of the job. The plan, thus far, is three levels deep. One level for his past, his tragedy. One for him becoming Batman. And one for the ascent to becoming The Night. But this is also debatable. Perhaps how the team are going about this will be discussed within the RP? I'm also looking for an experienced collaborator or two, one with preferably a fair amount of knowledge on Inception. Knowledge pertaining to Batman can be null to fanboy-ish. So there's a lot to talk about, obviously.

Have at it.

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
I'd love to be a part of this. It's an excellent fusion of ideas/universes, resulting in something altogether fairly unique. (Another perfect incentive to create an "Idea Blender" thread in the RP section, as Orion suggested to me.)

At the very least, I'll be joining when the Sign-Up thread is posted.
A suggestion for part of the extraction team (in other words, my potential character):

Since the fanmade trailer had Cillian Murphy playing the role of Dr. Crane, suppose we have a similar character be the "unwanted government presence" on the team? He/she would be a government-recommended, government-hired psychologist whose goal is to mold the Batman's psyche according to their designs. His/her presence would create some tension within the team, and make for some good interactions amongst them.

Another member of the team needs to be as damaged/deranged as Cobb was, since the video highlights the similarities between him and Bruce.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
I'll play, if I can work it into my schedule. The whole month of August will be rather hectic, but let's see what we can do.

Should we wait for a sign-up thread, or start posting ideas for how this will play out now?

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
I'll play, if I can work it into my schedule. The whole month of August will be rather hectic, but let's see what we can do.

Should we wait for a sign-up thread, or start posting ideas for how this will play out now?
A post by Hidden.

In roleplaying.
Holy.

Fuck.

I need to be in this.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Man, I skimmed through the OP in all my exictement and soon came up with all these ideas that I was going to propose or ask about based on what if we were Inception-ing Bruce on his deathbed to make him select a certain 'heir' as it were.

Then I realised that wasn't what was proposed at all D:

DAMMIT SUNNY I HAD COOL IDEAS

(prequel rp per chance?)

And you know it's a shame when I have ideas that can't happen ;D

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
Man, I skimmed through the OP in all my exictement and soon came up with all these ideas that I was going to propose or ask about based on what if we were Inception-ing Bruce on his deathbed to make him select a certain 'heir' as it were.

Then I realised that wasn't what was proposed at all D:

DAMMIT SUNNY I HAD COOL IDEAS

(prequel rp per chance?)

And you know it's a shame when I have ideas that can't happen ;D

tl;dr Orion = HAY SUNNY LETS GO __________!

Obvious Orion is obvious

Tee Hee

*goes back to planning corner*

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Would it be impossible to set the time of the roleplay back just a little bit to when Bruce is dying, but still have the Batman-heir taken to him and have a dual-subject/target/focus series of dreamscapes?

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Ideas are still open so have at it folks.

But this is about someone becoming Batman so if Bruce is alive then perhaps a dual job would be needed. Though perhaps instead of finding a successor, this could be about the original Batman. That Bruce just came back from war and he's traumatized as shit because of a plethora of reasons and Alfred calls in a favor of an old friend. A senior, highly experienced though slightly mentally unstable extractor and now-planter. As they plunge in to find out and solve Bruce's issues with inner demons , they inadvertently plant the Batman seed? Or rather, on purpose due to the thinking of our shaky team leader?

As for roles, I think we'll need a leader. A point man, second-in-command (think of Arthur in the original movie). An architect. A forger. The rest of the roles could be a motley crew of diversity.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Can we make up more roles, like the Reconnoiter role Prophet and I made up for our Inception battle?

Speaking of which, I need to go and inform someone of a little something~

ALSO WHERE THE BATARDIS

Last edited:

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
That is perfectly awesome and more than acceptable.

I myself was considering creating an Analyst role, a psychiatrist-like man similar to Ordeith's description who looks at the state of the Dreaming in all its entirety and can draw objective and unbiased conclusions from psychological patterns in congruence with the nature of the subject.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
I myself was considering creating an Analyst role, a psychiatrist-like man similar to Ordeith's description who looks at the state of the Dreaming in all its entirety and can draw objective and unbiased conclusions from psychological patterns in congruence with the nature of the subject.
If that didn't actually make sense I'd say that was almost a post by Dar or Tav.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
If that didn't actually make sense I'd say that was almost a post by Dar or Tav.

Hur Hur. I mean someone with experience who can say "hey, when this happens in a dream it means this for his psyche" but at the same time can-- like a Doctor. There are general symptoms and patterns, but with a patient, there can be variation based on a plethora of things.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
A post by Hidden.

In roleplaying.
Holy.

bonk.

I need to be in this.
I have a total of seven posts in Roleplaying, I think. To my standards, I'm a regular here.

How much Freud have you read? No joke.

As for myself, I'm starting to be interested in this Cobb-figure, our necessarily unstable leader. What sort of man creates the Batman? We already know criminals -Falcone-, madmen -Ducard/Ra's al Ghul-, and the few good influences on Wayne's life -Alfred, Rachel- ; but none of these characters would perform an inception. Our man is different. One possible explanation is that he's a failed hero himself, and he needs to see if it's possible to create a real one.

Oh, and fair warning: There will be more than three levels. If you're going to break a man down completely to rebuild him into something else -you kill the man to create the hero- you're going to have to go in deep. That's my thought at least.

The role of the architect interested me the most in Inception (and I didn't think the movie really explored its possibilities), but I'm honestly not coming up with anything for this roleplay. Except that our architect had better be damned inventive.

Last edited:

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
I have a total of seven posts in Roleplaying, I think. To my standards, I'm a regular here.

How much Freud have you read? No joke.

As for myself, I'm starting to be interested in this Cobb-figure, our necessarily unstable leader. What sort of man creates the Batman? We already know criminals -Falcone-, madmen -Ducard/Ra's al Ghul-, and the few good influences on Wayne's life -Alfred, Rachel- ; but none of these characters would perform an inception. Our person is different. Personally, I think our man is a failed hero, and he needs to see if it's possible to create a real one.

Oh, and fair warning: There will be more than three levels. If you're going to break a man down completely to rebuild him into something else -you kill the man to create the hero- you're going to have to go in deep. That's my thought at least.

The role of the architect interested me the most in Inception (and I didn't think the movie really explored its possibilities), but I'm honestly not coming up with anything for this roleplay. Except that our architect had better be damned inventive.

Eeeeeeeeeeeee Architect

*raises hand*

Prophet

come and go
Website
www.facebook.com
Come on, spill it, did Christopher Nolan commission this Role-Play?

Well I'm in. It's going to be tough, because August is a busy month for me. But, I will be here and I contribute/post regularly. Based on what we've got, here are some thoughts.

Premise:

There is a man with the means and will to become the Batman. We just need to make him have the idea. To quote the film, he needs to "devote himself to an ideal" in order to become the legend of batman. This needs to be a strong idea, one that permeates his very being. So, let's look at possible levels.

Level 1 - (first dream)
Eventually, the man needs to decide he will become the Batman here, unconsciously influenced by the team. Perhaps we can start here by offering him the chance to do something else with his money. A clinch moment, a chance to go in a different direction than he would normally.

Level 2-
Here, he's got to be given the urge to fight crime. Perhaps we give him a taste of justice, give him the chance to indulge in the destruction and vengeance of his repressed tragedy

Level 3-
Finally, we layer him with the subconscious sense of morality that fuels Batman. It is in this level that we give the man the rock-solid, immovable righteousness that allows him to stay strong and resist both killing and the normal limits that would stop someone from simply putting on the cowl.
The man needs to

That's just a basic premise, the team would obviously hace to plan details, but its a start for a way to think about it.

INCEPTION TEAM
We've got the basic setup for the Inception-team. Architect, Forgers, practicing Extractors, Analysts (interesting idea, I like where that could lead). It's enough to incorporate a lot of people, and especially if we're going to need to go several levels deep, we'll need a large team.

Villains

Here's a thought. There are without a doubt people who would benefit from the reign of batman ending forever. Is there security? Perhaps a crime lord has recognized the threat and has trained the man's subconscious to resist infiltration for that purpose. Also, in order for our new Batman to have the fortitude necessary to truly live up to the cowl, he'll need to have the strength that comes from conquering these subconscious demons. Just a thought.

More to come

Awards
I have never done an RP before, but I have to admit, this interests me. Not sure whether I would want to sign up, but I'll at least throw in a couple ideas for the time being.

I completely agree.
Perhaps on the levels that exist past the 3rd level and prior to Limbo, the environments become less concrete and more abstract, less predictable and more chaotic (the more one delves into the subconscious and suppressed memories/feelings). In Inception's terms, the architect's influence begins to wane, while the projections don't necessarily become more hostile, but they infect and warp the environment, becoming more than just the personifications. I think something like that would suit Batman's psyche well.

Also, don't forget the concept of a "Shade," a projection that has gone out of control. I'm sure someone like the Joker could fill in this role.

One idea that came to mind is that the Shade is actually created by the inception team (the Analyst? perhaps he/she is capable of molding the subject's projections).

Let's say it's a bat. As the team goes deeper and deeper, the realm becomes more abstract, but this Bat Shade becomes more concrete. Then, this successor to Batman is actually killed by the Bat, and the Bat rises out of the levels of the dream in his place. As Hidden says, you "kill the man to create the hero." It represents a full and complete identity shift.

That's just one example that came to mind (probably couldn't happen if we're going by Inception's rules, but I'm sure we could employ a bit of artistic license).

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Pairs of architects at each level?
Level 1 - (first dream)
Eventually, the man needs to decide he will become the Batman here, unconsciously influenced by the team. Perhaps we can start here by offering him the chance to do something else with his money. A clinch moment, a chance to go in a different direction than he would normally.
Considering this is an idea that has not crossed the subject's mind, this would be too extreme a step for the subject. First level would be something like a realisation-through-experience that the world is in dire need of saving.
The second level would be for the subject to realise that he has the skill and will but not the method to save the world.
The third level would be him understanding that Batman is what he needs to become.
Any subsequent levels would be him coming to terms with or accepting/embracing the mantle.
INCEPTION TEAM
We've got the basic setup for the Inception-team. Architect, Forgers, practicing Extractors, Analysts (interesting idea, I like where that could lead). It's enough to incorporate a lot of people, and especially if we're going to need to go several levels deep, we'll need a large team.
The Recon man. Positions himself in a safe location within the dream to survey the dream world and maintain in contact with other operatives. Typically find themselves in helicopters over an area, or underground before a bank of monitors connected to an area-wide surveillance system. Most often they act totally separate from the dream world, but have very low-level Architect powers to at least get themselves properly back into the dream if necessary. Building an elevator or stairs out of a typically-isolated underground room, or a parachute are typical. Once properly in the dream, they assume the role of a standard operative and the route to their former scouting location is wiped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back