• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Total Depression....

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jozi

Du-dun-dananana Calibrations!
Recently, I've been really depressed. For the past week & a half I have been holding in tears. Though the reason for this depression isn't of the usual, it's not caused by the social, economic, or physical aspects that others find themselves suffering from. It's spiritual... I've always identified myself as an Athiest, I have always been fine with the "no afterlife, just oblivion," thing.

But just a week ago, I got this queezy feeling for no reason when I was watching a few Richard Dawkins videos. Soon I found myself being frightened by the whole aspect of my conscious disappearing. The thing is: I'm only fourteen, and I'm basically having a middle-life crisis- like ordeal. The only times I haven't freaked out was when: I was on funnyjunk, and when I found some article on Humanity becoming immortal by 2030.

I've also been researching for any evidence of an after-life. But everything I've found so far can only be explained with faith. Faith I do not have... Can somebody please just help me out. Anything that helps me will be highly appreciated....

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
Well, like you said, you're fourteen: honestly, I don't think this is something you even need to be worrying about at the moment. You're going to spend so much time freaking out about what happens after life that you miss the opportunities to actually enjoy the life you have right now to the fullest. Unfortunately, everybody dies, and we don't know what comes after life, but what's important is making every single second you are alive count.

State

Awards
First of all, you're in depression because you want to. A depressive person is someone whom suffer from constantly reminding themselves of X depressive thought. So, with that in mind, go distract yourself. Surf the internet, listen to music, study, talk with friends, family members, do chores, those kinds of things.

For the past week & a half I have been holding in tears.
Be a Man, crying's not going to solve anything. Be a Man and confront your problem (which is depression). Accept it, resolve it, and learn to live through it.

Soon I found myself being frightened by the whole aspect of my conscious disappearing.
Human beings are meant to live and die, be a Man and confront that fact.

I'm only fourteen, and I'm basically having a middle-life crisis- like ordeal.
Even the more reason why you shouldn't be wasting your time on such petty thoughts. You have other things to give your attention to (such as priorities).

Personally, I think the "central-plot" here is that you're uncomfortable being an Atheist and that you want to believe there's a Great Beyond because you fear death. I can't help you much here, but all I can tell you is that you don't go changing Religions because you want to feel comfortable, no, Religions aren't boxers; they're links established by human faith.

Also, I believe any religion functions with faith, and since Atheism is a religion, then there should be Faith involved in it. One last thing; don't waste your time thinking about Religions. Love yourself and those around, life functions with Faith and Love.

noheartx

I think at one point, everyone has thoughts similar to yours. It's just how you deal with them. You need to look on the bright side of life, and enjoy everything. It may be hard, but you have friends and family to lean on. Its a hard thing to come to terms with, but there's nothing you can do. Don't get your hopes up for things like immortality, becuase then when it doesn't happen, and believe me it won't, you won't be disappointed. Just try and stay positive.

State

Awards
everyone has thoughts similar to yours
I, too, had a similar situation. I thought that, what's the point of loving if there's no God? Then I got through all that and are living happily and ever after. :3

It's just how you deal with them
My thoughts exactly.

You need to look on the bright side of life, and enjoy everything.
I concur.

It may be hard, but you have friends and family to lean on.
Exactly. You DO have an emotional tie with all of them.

O

Oberon

Recently, I've been really depressed. For the past week & a half I have been holding in tears. Though the reason for this depression isn't of the usual, it's not caused by the social, economic, or physical aspects that others find themselves suffering from. It's spiritual... I've always identified myself as an Athiest, I have always been fine with the "no afterlife, just oblivion," thing.

But just a week ago, I got this queezy feeling for no reason when I was watching a few Richard Dawkins videos. Soon I found myself being frightened by the whole aspect of my conscious disappearing. The thing is: I'm only fourteen, and I'm basically having a middle-life crisis- like ordeal. The only times I haven't freaked out was when: I was on funnyjunk, and when I found some article on Humanity becoming immortal by 2030.

I've also been researching for any evidence of an after-life. But everything I've found so far can only be explained with faith. Faith I do not have... Can somebody please just help me out. Anything that helps me will be highly appreciated....
Well, a few things. I'm not going to try and convince you that what you're worrying about isn't a big deal. That is a fundamental concept that everyone struggles with; some better than others. I didn't begin really contemplating on this, for example, until my senior year in high school. Then again, I was also in the middle of trying to figure out a career path, but that's besides the point.

Second, depressing yourself over it will only make you feel worse. The best thing you can do is treat the possibilities you know with a grain of salt; no one knows what happens when you die. It's literally up in the air for everyone. I'm not saying go to church and get saved so you can "be safe" or anything, but I'm not saying believe something you're uncomfortable with either. I used to be an active Christian in my early teens and a part of me still holds onto those beliefs because they mean a lot when there's an emotional attachment; especially if you grew up with them.

Anyway, in all of my dealings with deep philosophical crises, I've found it best to indulge in other literature (whatever you like). It helps distract your mind and get *other* ideas flowing, instead of the ones that are causing you distress. And it gives you an excuse to read epic books. lol Don't get in the habit of seeking answers for this subject, though. You won't find any--and I'm sure you're aware of that.

First of all, you're in depression because you want to. A depressive person is someone whom suffer from constantly reminding themselves of X depressive thought. So, with that in mind, go distract yourself. Surf the internet, listen to music, study, talk with friends, family members, do chores, those kinds of things.

Be a Man, crying's not going to solve anything. Be a Man and confront your problem (which is depression). Accept it, resolve it, and learn to live through it.

Human beings are meant to live and die, be a Man and confront that fact.

Even the more reason why you shouldn't be wasting your time on such petty thoughts. You have other things to give your attention to (such as priorities).

Personally, I think the "central-plot" here is that you're uncomfortable being an Atheist and that you want to believe there's a Great Beyond because you fear death. I can't help you much here, but all I can tell you is that you don't go changing Religions because you want to feel comfortable, no, Religions aren't boxers; they're links established by human faith.

Also, I believe any religion functions with faith, and since Atheism is a religion, then there should be Faith involved in it. One last thing; don't waste your time thinking about Religions. Love yourself and those around, life functions with Faith and Love.
I dont think you understand depression as well as you think you do. "Be a man" is about as unhelpful as you can get. Just saiyan.

valorform24

I dont think you understand depression as well as you think you do. "Be a man" is about as unhelpful as you can get. Just saiyan.

Agreed, your comments weren't the most helpful. Seraph.

Anyways, I understand what you are going through. Everyone fears death because honestly, nobody knows what happens. Remember that you can always find something to hold onto, though, you may eventally find a belief system that works for you, not that you have to, but just remember to stay open to new ideas.

Remember, you are fourteen this is not something you need to worry about. and it is not something that you should let bring you down into depression. Try to distract yourself for now and if you need it consult a professional, but I believe you will be okay you are just having thoughts that everyone has.

Vani

LOVEY DOVEY DOVEY
Put those thoughts aside. They only hold you back. No need to waste time worrying when you could be enjoying life.

Able_Beard

Banned
There really isn't a lot you can do in this situation. I was there alot my whole time in middle school, and it really sucks, I feel for you. I used to stay up some nights, contemplating that if there's no after life, that when I'm gone I'm just gone, as if the fact I have thought is my greatest weakness!

But I found God my grade 9 year, so that's where our path's differ. I find it's the only way to get out of that situation to be blunt.

And sucking it up, or be a man? That's horrible. Sound like a drill sergeant father, which isn't cool...

As for anyone who says "Forget it!" or "Enjoy life!" that's not really a good help or context to give someone. Cause unless you have experienced depression, you will know that, those tasks are the hardest thing's you can do. "Enjoying life is completely contradictory of depression itself which is, being sad about everything!

O

Oberon

As for anyone who says "Forget it!" or "Enjoy life!" that's not really a good help or context to give someone. Cause unless you have experienced depression, you will know that, those tasks are the hardest thing's you can do. "Enjoying life is completely contradictory of depression itself which is, being sad about everything!

Precisely this. One thing people overlook, as well, is that severe depression actually affects your ability to concentrate. In other words, the person is thinking over and over about the thing that is depressing them not only because they can't help it, but they sometimes aren't even aware of it. It fatigues you and can affect your cognitive function temporarily in the short term. It takes serious intervention for serious depression, especially if the person is seemingly incapable of helping themselves immediately.

But these are mostly extremes which I doubt actually apply to the OP. Still, it's worth mentioning.

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards
I can assure you of this. There is an after life of some sort. It goes back to the near death experiences and I know alot of people say it's just an illusion created by the brain near death. And that would explain all of it except for one part. In the near death experiences people are out of there bodies and when they return to their bodies they can describe things that happened in the operating room and through out the hospital that took place while they were dead. There is no way to disprove those particular parts of a near death experience and so it can be safely assumed there is an after life of some sort.

Since I personally find the Christian faith to be the most logical of the 3 Abrahamic faiths, I personally believe the after life is the Christian version and so I follow that teaching. Since i'm pretty sure there is an after life of some sort, then my faith whether it be wrong or right is still a safe bet. Kinda like an insurance policy for the soul. If I die and the after life is just some gathering place of souls where we live in bliss similar to something like Elysian Fields in Greek Mythology or even if it's just our souls remain here on Earth as ghost and we wonder about forever, then great. My Christian faith didn't do any harm even though in this scenario it would be proven wrong, but if the christian faith is right then atleast I know i'm safe. So yeah, my best bet and advice, I recommend being a christian, because there's no way you can lose. Being an athiest is way too risky in my opinion.

I hoped I helped even a little. I understand how you feel though. There was a point in my life where I too feared the end of my existence but what I said about near death experiences gave me comfort and what I consider proof that death isn't the end and being a christian gives me the comfort of no matter what I can't lose in the end, because if i'm right then i'll get into heaven, if i'm wrong then i'll just be a spirit hanging out somewhere, and if there is no after life then oh well. But yeah the near death thing is proof enough for me of an after life.

So I Hoped I helped some.

Last edited:

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
I can assure you of this. There is an after life of some sort. It goes back to the near death experiences and I know alot of people say it's just an illusion created by the brain near death. And that would explain all of it except for one part. In the near death experiences people are out of there bodies and when they return to their bodies they can describe things that happened in the operating room and through out the hospital that took place while they were dead. There is no way to disprove those particular parts of a near death experience and so it can be safely assumed there is an after life of some sort.

Since I personally find the Christian faith to be the most logical of the 3 Abrahamic faiths, I personally believe the after life is the Christian version and so I follow that teaching. Since i'm pretty sure there is an after life of some sort, then my faith whether it be wrong or right is still a safe bet. Kinda like an insurance policy for the soul. If I die and the after life is just some gathering place of souls where we live in bliss similar to something like Elysian Fields in Greek Mythology or even if it's just our souls remain here on Earth as ghost and we wonder about forever, then great. My Christian faith didn't do any harm even though in this scenario it would be proven wrong, but if the christian faith is right then atleast I know i'm safe. So yeah, my best bet and advice, I recommend being a christian, because there's no way you can lose. Being an athiest is way too risky in my opinion.

I hoped I helped even a little. I understand how you feel though. There was a point in my life where I too feared the end of my existence but what I said about near death experiences gave me comfort and what I consider proof that death isn't the end and being a christian gives me the comfort of no matter what I can't lose in the end, because if i'm right then i'll get into heaven, if i'm wrong then i'll just be a spirit hanging out somewhere, and if there is no after life then oh well. But yeah the near death thing is proof enough for me of an after life.

can you please just stop? that's not what he is asking for. he isnt asking "what should i be guys" just take that shit somewhere else

valorform24

It's good that you have your own beliefs, but this guy doesn't seem to want them. He does not need any beliefs forced onto him either. He needs to find things out for himself.

Jozi

Du-dun-dananana Calibrations!
I would like to thank everyone who helped me out (some not so much, though I know you mean well & I appreciate it). A few days ago, with the advice, I was able to relieve myself of the depression. I've moved on, literally. What I didn't mention (which I really should have) was that I was suffering from a lot of stress while living with my mom. The day after I posted this I went to my dad's house. He has also taken care of me a lot better than my Mother ever did.

Anyways, the past few days I've really pondered on the origin of life, & the universe. The big bang theory was one of the real motivators that had made me an atheist. I thought science could debunk all religions. But, after the evaluation, I realized, that no human could comprehend the origin of the universe with today's logic. We simply don't know enough. So I'm now an Agnostic, not practicing any religion, an open casket of sorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back