• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What do you think the name "Dream Drop Distance" means?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Realm Walker

I think there's a similar thread, but I couldn't find it. This is my 'theory' on what it means:

Dream- Part of the game is implied to be a simulation of some sort.

Drop- The Drop Gauge most likely forces you to switch between Sora and Riku. I think that when it goes all the way down, you have to drop everything you're doing as one character and then switch to the other.

Distance- How far will they go for each other?

Last edited:

Magnum

I think there's a similar thread, but I couldn't find it. This is my 'theory' on what it means:

Dream- The Mark of Mastery Exam is implied to be a simulation of some sort.

Drop- The Drop Gauge most likely forces you to switch between Sora and Riku. I think that when it goes all the way down, you have to drop everything you're doing as one character and then switch to the other.

Distance- How far will they go for each other?

I like the Drop gauge theory but I originally thought it had something to do with a power-up or something. Like the Drive gauge, Focus gauge, and the one from Re:coded (clock gauge, I believe).

Realm Walker

SWITCHING BETWEEN SORA AND RIKU

In the past, Nomura suggested that the game would depict Sora and Riku in their Mark of Mastery test that will turn them into Keyblade Masters. In this latest interview, he clarified a bit. The Mark of Mastery test will not span the entirety of the game. Only some parts of the game will cover the test.
You'll apparently be switching off between them against your will. You'll be switching off between Sora and Riku as you play. However, Nomura revealed to Famitsu that the switching will be forced upon the player as they play. When walking through town and even in battle, you'll suddenly be switched to the other character.
Nomura noted that in most games, character changes take place at key points in the story. But here, the changes will have nothing to do with your progress through the story.
The Premier trailer showed a mysterious new gauge called the "Drop Gauge." Famitsu asked if the character changes will have something to do with this. There are actually a number of secrets to the gauge, said Nomura. Regarding character changes, he said that it will be easiest to understand if you think that there's something like a countdown event always taking place.
Adding even more confusion to the issue, Nomura said that Riku and Sora's stories are different. They don't have the same goal, and they'll encounter different bosses (as indicated in the screenshots in the preview).
They also have different actions, and even different control methods! This area has something to do with a new system that has yet to be shown. NEW WORLDS AND NEW GAMES

Character changing and the Drop gauge in the same paragraph. I have more faith that my theory is correct after all.

billyzanesucks

For the last time, the MoM isn't the whole game, only a small portion. The part where they're in their KH1 outfits seems to be the main part of the game, so I doubt that's the exam. I think that 'dream' means an actual dream or AtW's data or both.

Nomura said it means "the distance one falls into a dream."

Realm Walker

For the last time, the MoM isn't the whole game, only a small portion. The part where they're in their KH1 outfits seems to be the main part of the game, so I doubt that's the exam. I think that 'dream' means an actual dream or AtW's data or both.

Nomura said it means "the distance one falls into a dream."

Never once said it was the full game.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
But billyzanesucks actually does have a point...to me it also seems that many people still are putting way too much emphasis on that MoM-exam while it is only a small part of KH 3D.
As it is said that the whole mess of Terra/Xehanort/Eraqus and their hearts/power/memories division between the Xehanort-forms will be addressed and on top of that Ansem's data which is said to hold the key for the revival/return of the tormented ones who call Sora's name in Blank Points may also get explored/examined.

Not to mention that while Mickey and Yen Sid are busy preparing Sora and Riku for the challenges they have to face Xehanort may set in motion one of his back-up plans, disrupting the whole schedule of the good guys.

There's actually quite some stuff that hold quite some significance, if not even more than the MoM.

megatron532

Website
www.youtube.com
Character changing and the Drop gauge in the same paragraph. I have more faith that my theory is correct after all.

You just skimmed that, didn't you? I believe Nomura said that the character changing will be COMPLETELY random. No association to the Drop gauge whatsoever. If it does, I'll be pissed, because I want new gameplay features. Maybe by "the distance you fall in your dreams" he meant fall as in, to darkness, insanity, or evil.
Dream - The exam takes place in a fake world of sorts.
Drop - The Drop gauge allows you to access certain gameplay features. Like Riku bouncing off the walls, and Sora's pole dancing.
Distance - How far will you fall?

Magnum

Actually it doesn't say for sure that the Drop gauge has something to do with the character switches. It says:

The Premier trailer showed a mysterious new gauge called the "Drop Gauge." Famitsu asked if the character changes will have something to do with this. There are actually a number of secrets to the gauge, said Nomura. Regarding character changes, he said that it will be easiest to understand if you think that there's something like a countdown event always taking place.

He didn't say it had anything to do with the changes, just that it had many secrets.

You just skimmed that, didn't you? I believe Nomura said that the character changing will be COMPLETELY random. No association to the Drop gauge whatsoever. If it does, I'll be pissed, because I want new gameplay features. Maybe by "the distance you fall in your dreams" he meant fall as in, to darkness, insanity, or evil.
Dream - The exam takes place in a fake world of sorts.
Drop - The Drop gauge allows you to access certain gameplay features. Like Riku bouncing off the walls, and Sora's pole dancing.
Distance - How far will you fall?

Upon hearing this, I actually agree with your theory more.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Dictionary.com said:
Dream; n
A succession of images, thoughts, or emotions passing through the mind during sleep.

Drop; v
Descent

Distance; n
the extent or amount of space between two things, points, lines, etc.

What if Dream Drop Distance isn't three words just next to each other, but means to dream the distance in a drop?

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
Dream - A result of "Birth by Sleep," where one experiments with the ability to keep one's sleeping memories in another heart

Can't say much about Drop and Distance, though.

Evello

The Radiant Hero
Awards
Didn't Nomura say somewhere that the title refers to "how far you fall into dreams," or something? Hence the Distance you Drop into Dreams. I could swear it was in an interview, but I have no idea where.

kingjustink

IMO the drop gauge is where you stay in the air for as long as possible, and are rewarded by a temporary strength boost. They'll probably chuck in more secret rewards, but I think that's what it will primarily be used for.

Giratina

I think it means somebody had a bit too much fun with their Japanese-to-English dictionary.

Seriously though, I think it refers to an alternate world that is created when one dreams -- hence, the 'distance'. It makes a very Alice in Wonderland-type feeling in my head, which is probably due to the surreality suggested by it. But seriously, who knows when it's Kingdom Hearts we're talking about?

D.D.D

Stuffed in a sack and being thrown through a magic
Sorry if this has been said already(I didn't read all of the thread/skimmed over it), but I'm thinking that in the KH world, the "Dream" and the "Drop" are similar, but opposites. Dreaming is like you're falling into the non-physical world, and dropping is like you're falling into, or in, the physical one. Maybe this "switching" Nomura mentioned was like going between the two worlds, and that's why he announced that the game was going to be a mindf*ck; which events actually happened in the physical(drop) world, and which ones were illusions(dream world)? Maybe that is the test for Sora and Riku; maybe in the dream world, one of them turns against the other and actually thinks it really happened, then that said person gets back to the physical, and starts to distrust that other person. Maybe that's why, in that picture with the two set against light, they cross blades. I think the "distance" part is A.how they need to seperate/distance the real from the fake, or B.how far they fall into either one of the worlds.
Like, this is how it is in the beginning of the game:
Dream World=Physical(drop) World/IDK what the heck is going on
And then Yen Sid wants them to learn that:
Dream World-----------------------------------Physical(drop) World
Maybe that's kind of a confusing example. But remember the beginning words of each game?
KH1:
I've been having these weird thoughts lately. Like, is any of this for real, or not?
Real=Drop/Physical World, Not=Dream World
KH2:A scattered dream that's like a far-off memory. A far-off memory that's like a scattered dream. I want to line the pieces up; yours, and mine.
Dream- something that did not happen in real life, but in your unconscious mind.
Far off memory- something that happened in the past of the real world.
It seems that the line from KH2 is saying that, if it's actually Sora(which I'm sure it is, judging by the voice), that he's confusing the two:memories and dreams. Usually, at least in our world, dreams are not considered real. Memories are. Nomura has said(I think) that this game is about the connections between people? Sorry if I'm wrong, it's been a while since I thought /read about 3D. We've seen in KH that people can be connected through memories, but maybe they're also connected through dreams. Maybe that's really the way Xion and Roxas received Sora/Riku's memories-by making a connection through dreaming. I mean, did Nomura ever explain why Sora HAD to be asleep while his memories were re-aligned? Maybe that's why-Sora had to be asleep to receive memories, like Xion and Roxas, because being in a state of sleep makes it easier to connect to people.
Think about Sora when he was just born as a heart. Technically, it was still sleeping, and Ven's was just on the verge of sleeping/disappearing. Through this state, Sora was able to connect to Ven and pretty much save his life. So, it might be possible that Yen Sid wants Sora to learn how to navigate between the dream world and physical world, so that he might be able to follow his connection to Ven's heart through sleeping, and either wake him up or just figure out where he is. It's possible that, at the end of 3D, Sora finally figures out where Ven's heart actually is. I assume this might make his crap his pants. And if the theory that Riku is harboring Terra's heart, as well, Riku could use this technique to reach to Terra. The "Drop" gauge (I think that's what it's called) could deplete over time, and then they switch between worlds/characters.
IDK, just some ideas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back