• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

I like/dislike Final Fantasy ____ , and here's why:

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
re: I like/dislike Final Fantasy ____, and here's why:

I agree with you, and I do find it irritating that IGN always puts it right near the top of heir best FFs ever PURELY with rose-tinted specs. It is after all a linear Star Wars rip-off with little customization.

How exactly is it a Star Wars rip-off?

Also, it's considered one of the best simply because at the time the scale of the game was unprecedented. It might not hold up as well now, but back then it was the pinnacle of story-telling for RPG's.

loke13

Waiting on FF XV and KH3 :D

Final Fantasy X is pretty much the only one so far that I didn't like...

Shallow characters, bad voice acting, annoying story full of holes and lacking in any sort of typical FF goodness. I didn't like but five songs on the soundtrack, the character designs were HORRIBLE (SEYMOUR, Tidus, Wakka, etc) and the gameplay was just average. Definitely one of my least favorites, and I have a friend that agrees with me.

Also, X-2 and XIII are even worse...
Are you trolling? I can't tell if your serious shallow characters and a story full of holes?

Silh

Slippery People
Awards

Also, X-2 and XIII are even worse...
I hear so many bad things about this game...
Hm.
2wegcop.jpg

Jackstin

Bronze Member
Awards

How exactly is it a Star Wars rip-off?

Also, it's considered one of the best simply because at the time the scale of the game was unprecedented. It might not hold up as well now, but back then it was the pinnacle of story-telling for RPG's.
First point: It's basically the "I am your brother!" plot point, and the focus on being seduced by the darkness, and paragons of light. I realise these are only two things, but they are so key to the story.

It's no secret that Sakaguchi's games were heavily heavily influenced by Star Wars, but it's not so bad. FFII WAS the Star Wars story, complete with its own version of the Death Star, the Emperor, and Leon being Darth. Final Fantasy IV still borrowed quite alot, but by the time VI came around, his stories were basically completely original.

As for it being good back in the day, I do NOT buy that excuse. Final Fantasy IV is a great game now, and no excuses should be made for it. You don't hear people calling the White Album good "for its time". Indeed, although opinion is divided, when people talk about Final Fantasy VI, VII, an IX, they do not say it was soooo good for the time. They genuinely feel it holds up with modern games. That's how I feel about those games; if Final Fantasy VI was released now, in all its 16-bit glory, it would still be one of the greatest games ever made. Art is timeless.

Final Fantasy IV on the other hand, whilst still good, doesn't hold up so well. Least that's what I think.

Lady-Lee

Awards

Okay Im one of the people who absolutely HATED 12. It wasnt so much the gameplay but it was the characters. Sure Balthier and Fran were quite awesome, but everyone else irked me to no avail.

On the other hand I love the way that XIII is set up because its linear *awaits the firing squad*. Honestly the side quests annoy me with a lot of FF games. Sure some mini games are alright but at the end of the day, I love seeing the story line through with as little distraction as possible. If i wanted 5million side quests I'd play the legend of Zelda more often. but hey thats just me.

Shamdeo

skipped leg day
Awards
Website
finalfantasy.net

The development teams at Squaresoft and Square-Enix are Star Wars fans, but to say that Final Fantasy XII is intrinsically bad or disingenuous by having themes similar to Star Wars doesn't hold any water for me. Aside from the many Star Wars references and allusions to themes in the past, many of the themes of Star Wars itself are lifted from other sources, such as Akira Kurosawa and others.

Jackstin

Bronze Member
Awards

The development teams at Squaresoft and Square-Enix are Star Wars fans, but to say that Final Fantasy XII is intrinsically bad or disingenuous by having themes similar to Star Wars doesn't hold any water for me. Aside from the many Star Wars references and allusions to themes in the past, many of the themes of Star Wars itself are lifted from other sources, such as Akira Kurosawa and others.

I agree, I said Final Fantasy II not Final Fantasy XII lol!

Whenever people create art they draw inspiration, the trick is to explore it in a different way. Final Fantasy XII definitely did its own thing despite the clear source.

Final Fantasy II on the other hand is just a carbon copy, but not in space. It doesn't do it's own thing, and thus criticising it is fair.

I personally think IV sits in between. It does its own thing, with you starting off as a bad guy, and then redeeming yourself. But I'm sorry, the "I am your brother" plot twist is cringingly cliché. I mean, Monkey Island 2 was lampooning this exact thing in the same year as Final Fantasy IV was released.

Shamdeo

skipped leg day
Awards
Website
finalfantasy.net

Oh sorry I wasn't directly responding to you, just making that as a general statement. ;p

Eva

~ ♥~ Grand Summoner~ ♥~
Awards

I agree, I said Final Fantasy II not Final Fantasy XII lol!

Whenever people create art they draw inspiration, the trick is to explore it in a different way. Final Fantasy XII definitely did its own thing despite the clear source.

Final Fantasy II on the other hand is just a carbon copy, but not in space. It doesn't do it's own thing, and thus criticising it is fair.

I personally think IV sits in between. It does its own thing, with you starting off as a bad guy, and then redeeming yourself. But I'm sorry, the "I am your brother" plot twist is cringingly cliché. I mean, Monkey Island 2 was lampooning this exact thing in the same year as Final Fantasy IV was released.

Well, at the time I don't think it was that cliche just yet, it was still a surprise for many at the time. You also have to remember when it was first created; just because something seems cliche now doesn't mean it was cliche at the time of production/creation, which predates the release date.

Jackstin

Bronze Member
Awards

Well, at the time I don't think it was that cliche just yet, it was still a surprise for many at the time. You also have to remember when it was first created; just because something seems cliche now doesn't mean it was cliche at the time of production/creation, which predates the release date.

Right, but we know it was cliche in 1991. That's why I brought up Monkey Island 2 mocking that (very specific) kind of twist. This wasn't years after, this was at the same time.

scubasteve

Banned
Awards

Are you trolling? I can't tell if your serious shallow characters and a story full of holes?

i mean honestly he's kinda right but his complaints are actually kinda what make ffx great. it's such a stupid and silly game that it's pretty hard to dislike it.

Eva

~ ♥~ Grand Summoner~ ♥~
Awards

Right, but we know it was cliche in 1991. That's why I brought up Monkey Island 2 mocking that (very specific) kind of twist. This wasn't years after, this was at the same time.

And I said at the time of production, not the time of release.

But I digress.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards

First point: It's basically the "I am your brother!" plot point, and the focus on being seduced by the darkness, and paragons of light. I realise these are only two things, but they are so key to the story.

You do realize how many works of fiction have that as a premise, right? Kingdom Hearts is more of a Star Wars rip-off than FFIV is.

As for it being good back in the day, I do NOT buy that excuse. Final Fantasy IV is a great game now, and no excuses should be made for it. You don't hear people calling the White Album good "for its time". Indeed, although opinion is divided, when people talk about Final Fantasy VI, VII, an IX, they do not say it was soooo good for the time. They genuinely feel it holds up with modern games. That's how I feel about those games; if Final Fantasy VI was released now, in all its 16-bit glory, it would still be one of the greatest games ever made. Art is timeless.

Actually, depending on the kind of art, it's anything but timeless. Just as an example: FFVIII and FFIX, while dated graphically by today's standards, aren't really that bad to look at now, but FFVII looks like a fcking eyesore, and yet at the time it looked pretty good. The game's plot and characters might still hold up ok now, but in terms of visuals its age is very apparent.

Similarly, you are aware that complex plots, fleshed out worlds and multi-faceted characters in video games wasn't something that popped out of nowhere, right? Largely due to the limits of technology (but also because it was something most developers didn't think to do, or just found unnecessary), most early games only had the faintest hints of plot that basically gave you an excuse to go out and have an adventure. Obviously this varies a lot, but as time has progressed it's become easier for hard-working developers to create a genuinely interesting and compelling mythos. The reason FFIV was so acclaimed in 1991 was because at the time it was unusual for an RPG to have a plot of that scale. It's been 2 decades since then and a lot of games have come out which fleshed out their stories even further, to the point where a younger generation is used to that level of detail in videogame plots. Therefore FFIV comes off as dated to them.

Just because there was a game that lampooned the same concept out at the same time doesn't mean that the trope had been worn irreversibly thin by then. There are still plenty of stories that employ it even today and it hardly ruins them.

Haeralis

Remains of the Judgement
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com

I guess if not liking something makes you a troll, then I am a troll! Seriously, accept that other people feel differently than you do about something. I gave the game a chance and I beat the storyline. I just didn't like it. And I love how people hate on FFXII for supposedly having bad characters when Lulu, Kimahri, and Rikku contribute just as much as Penelo, Fran and Vaan. The only difference is that the latter group isn't ridiculously annoying.

lilVon

live, laugh, lobotomy
Awards

damn Sham, (lol it rhymes!) I hope you saw my ridiculously long post about XII on page 4 because id love to hear your feedback & to understand if im somehow playing XII wrong.

Jackstin

Bronze Member
Awards

Just because there was a game that lampooned the same concept out at the same time doesn't mean that the trope had been worn irreversibly thin by then. There are still plenty of stories that employ it even today and it hardly ruins them.
That's exactly what it means, and that's why it was so acclaimed in Monkey Island, because it rang true and loud.

And I have no doubt that Final Fantasy IV did so many new things, and that is why it holds a special place in people's hearts. I am not denying people the right to cherish memories.

What I am saying is that Final Fantasy VI, VII, and IX are still as good as any game released today, whereas IV is not. If you are making a list of the greatest videogames, or even if you are trying to form an objective opinion, you have to look at the facts that will live on after your memories are dead.

Obviously saying VI, VII, and IX are timeless, or that IV is flawed, is an opinion, and if you disagree with that, that is fair enough and I wouldn't be so stubborn as to deny you that. However if you accept that IV is flawed, but make excuses for it, because of its age then you are not being objective.

After all, Final Fantasy IV was just as flawed in 91 as it is, for the sake of argument, now; it's just that people didn't realise it then.

Shamdeo

skipped leg day
Awards
Website
finalfantasy.net

damn Sham, (lol it rhymes!) I hope you saw my ridiculously long post about XII on page 4 because id love to hear your feedback & to understand if im somehow playing XII wrong.

I already told you what you're doing wrong.

Back