• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Video Review: Kingdom Hearts Re:coded

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

RadicalDreamer

Hello everyone,
I work for GameZone.com and recently put together a video review of Kingdom Hearts Re:coded. I cover the story, gameplay, graphics etc, and show a good chunk of new game footage. I hope you enjoy it and decide whether its worth your money or not.

Big in Japan - Kingdom Hearts Re:coded | Video Game Trailer | GameZone.com

*Note: As with any and all reviews there are some small spoilers. I promise though, that everything you learn in this review is learned in the first hour or two of gameplay (unless I give a spoiler "heads up" in the video itself).

I will of course check back on this thread constantly to answer any questions and comments you might have. So thanks in advance for any and all feedback. It really helps me make quality videos.

Ovafaze

idyllic dream
Awards
yeah, I watched your BBS review. Or at least I think it was your review.

EDIT: I just finished watching, I respect your opinion, but others won't take too kindly to what you had to say look where you are ^ ,Just saying. :p

Last edited:

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Nice review. It was just as enjoyable as your Days and BBS reviews ^^

Lol, but I already played the Japanese version, and preordered the English version, so your advice is kinda lost on me xD I actually like Re:coded. What it lacks in story, it makes up with in...everything else. But that's just me.

RadicalDreamer

I just finished watching, I respect your opinion, but others won't take too kindly to what you had to say look where you are ^ ,Just saying. :p

Don't get my wrong, I'm a huge fan of Kingdom Hearts. I just think if we think the quality of a game is subpar, we should say so. That's the only way to show Square-enix we demand a high quality in what we spend out money on.

Pretty much agree.
Though I wouldn't necessarily say that there's no reason to play the game.

Hmmm. Let me try to explain my conclusions this way. Re:coded has many types of gameplay. All work well enough. However, if we compare, say, the side scrolling platforming sections to other side scrolling platforming games, Re:coded clearly the inferior. This inferiority is the same for all the gameplay types. Even the core gameplay is done better in BBS. The game is "not worth playing" not because it's bad, but rather because there is no point to playing it. Everything it does is done better somewhere else, both in gameplay and story.

Ovafaze

idyllic dream
Awards
Don't get my wrong, I'm a huge fan of Kingdom Hearts. I just think if we think the quality of a game is subpar, we should say so. That's the only way to show Square-enix we demand a high quality in what we spend out money on.

so, I shouldn't buy it? I want to try it for myself atleast, but I'm not sure of a way to rent DS games..a part of me just wants to quit playing kingdom hearts altogether..after 3 that is.

EDIT: and let me just say, I hate that smug look in your avatar. lol It bugs me.

Awards
Hmmm. Let me try to explain my conclusions this way. Re:coded has many types of gameplay. All work well enough. However, if we compare, say, the side scrolling platforming sections to other side scrolling platforming games, Re:coded clearly the inferior. This inferiority is the same for all the gameplay types. Even the core gameplay is done better in BBS. The game is "not worth playing" not because it's bad, but rather because there is no point to playing it. Everything it does is done better somewhere else, both in gameplay and story.

I suppose it's a difference of opinion, then, on what the merit is of playing a game.
For instance, even though I wasn't much of a fan of Days, I still wouldn't say it's "not worth playing." Much like how Re:Coded's core gameplay is a watered down version of BbS, Days' gameplay is a watered down version of KH1/KH2.

I agree that Re:coded's gameplay was essentially comprised of average or subpar variations of different genres, which becomes an issue of cohesion. They're not focusing on any one system, so that lack of focus will show. It almost makes the main growth system almost redundant. But by the same token, I prefer the variety of gameplay it has than, say, just one giant watered down version of BbS' command system.

I say this because I hold Re:coded to a different standard than I do the main installments. It's supposed to be lighter, more fun-oriented, and mini game-centric, in both story and gameplay. It's just not a serious installment and so I don't treat it as seriously. In that regard, I think it can be enjoyable.

But on the subject of story, yeah, completely unnecessary. The game really shouldn't exist from a plot perspective. But it does, so I would play it, if anything, just for fun in regards to gameplay. Don't get me wrong, if I'm reviewing it for a broader audience, no, I probably wouldn't recommend it unless you're a fan of the series in the first place.

Evello

The Radiant Hero
Awards
I'll get the game anyway, just because I don't have a way to play BbS, so a watered down version of that battle system is the best I can get. I think if viewed separate from BbS (not everyone has both a DS and a PSP), Re:coded should get a little more credit than you give it. I'm not saying it's great, but I think it would be worth playing.

Decade

Did you join this forum just to advertise your KH reviews? Mr. 2 posts.
EDIT: also after watching the whole review, thank you for saving me 23 hours and 35 dollars :)

Last edited:

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
Meh. I usually just watch the IGN reviews, even if they are biased. I hated the score they gave for BBS but now I accept it and I think the score fits the game. So I'm still waiting for a more professional review of the game and even if they give it below an 8.0 I'm still buying it because I'm getting bored of playing BBS.

Hamster Lord

Atrocity Exhibition
Awards
This is a very good review, as all your others are good too.

I'm still playing it though, because of the different gameplay types lol

And I agree with Ovafaze with his opinion of not playing KH after III.

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
-is perhaps the only one who loves Re:Coded's story and thought of it as necessary-

RadicalDreamer

EDIT: and let me just say, I hate that smug look in your avatar. lol It bugs me.

BAM! There you go. Now you have a picture of me threatening you all with a death note!

Did you join this forum just to advertise your KH reviews? Mr. 2 posts.
EDIT: also after watching the whole review, thank you for saving me 23 hours and 35 dollars :)

I won't lie, I did join just to show you guys this. Of course, I did you think guys would enjoy it. And if you haven't gotten anything out of it, then I do apologize. Oh and I'm glad I saved you some money,

And I agree with Ovafaze with his opinion of not playing KH after III.

You poor poor man. You and I both know that III will have something in the ending to string us all along for years to come.

-is perhaps the only one who loves Re:Coded's story and thought of it as necessary-

Honestly, I'm glad someone got something out of it. It gives it at least a bit of value.

Ovafaze

idyllic dream
Awards
so I should skip this KH game and go for Birth by sleep? (haven't bought it yet)

Silverslide

need some more candy cane

You're not alone, Seasmy. I too thought it was neccesary.

Oh, sorry, but I stopped listening to site reviews a long time ago :(

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards
that was really good
still not sure if ill buy it i still not done with bbs

Ovafaze

idyllic dream
Awards
Sweet Jesus yes! BBS is easily the much better game. I doubt you'll find any argument about that.
I was going to buy coded like many others, until I watched your review, wonder how many others on here you will convince not to buy RE:coded.

BTW: what did you think of Alan Young's performance in the English version of BBS? I remember you saying something about it in your bbs JPN review.

State

Awards
You're not alone, Seasmy. I too thought it was neccesary.

Oh, sorry, but I stopped listening to site reviews a long time ago :(

Count me in, too. I think it's as necessary as Birth by Sleep. We should make a club or something for Re: coded xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back