• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

harlan ellison explains why you almost never see me post in the religion section

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marly

All right, don't have a crap attack
Awards
He almost seems a bit too extremist in my opinion, especially when it comes to the idea of nurture not being considering factor in criminals/evildoers. Though, I think I do get what he's saying.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Christianity is all about taking responsibility for your actions, lol

did you even actually listen to the video?

He almost seems a bit too extremist in my opinion

itt: nobody knows who harlan ellison is

...especially when it comes to the idea of nurture not being considering factor in criminals/evildoers.

guess dogen's not the only one who only hears what he wants

Last edited:

Trag

Bronze Member
this man tells it like it is
a lot of human beings are arrogant haha. i really loved the mark twain quote

Tenyas

RE: +"T!red"+
This is actually how I sometimes feel, only minorly different on the treatment of those who do bad things. Even when raised under poor conditions, a person has the choice of doing different, doing something for the better. I wouldn't go so far as saying they must be severely punished but, I will say that they do need to be taught of other ways.

Overall, t'is interesting, and I see why you agree with it.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Aside from the occasional misunderstanding of the proper "mindset" of Christianity, I have no problem with this video.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
did you even actually listen to the video?

Oh, I watched the whole thing.
Don't think just because I poked fun at one thing he said that I didn't watch it all :p

I know that he meant that believing in a deity that controls everything allows people to feel like they're never at blame for anything they do.

That just doesn't apply to Christianity, though.

Marly

Awards
itt: nobody knows who harlan ellison is

Should I? So far I'm not worried about knowing who he is.

guess dogen's not the only one who only hears what he wants

Hearing what I want to hear? It's not like this guy speaks with any complexity or profoundness. If that were the case I might consider the possibility of misconstruing what he said. But no, I'm pretty sure I heard what he said just fine.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Oh, I watched the whole thing.
Don't think just because I poked fun at one thing he said that I didn't watch it all :p

yeah because taking a small portion out of context and commenting on it is just "poking fun"

That just doesn't apply to Christianity, though.

the guy is 100% american, a society which is steeped in christian "culture" so naturally he's more likely to talk about yhvh instead of vishnu

Should I? So far I'm not worried about knowing who he is.

only one of the most prolific and influential writers and critics in the 20th century no biggie

Hearing what I want to hear? It's not like this guy speaks with any complexity or profoundness. If that were the case I might consider the possibility of misconstruing what he said. But no, I'm pretty sure I heard what he said just fine.

more like you heard him say something and reacted to it as oppose to actually listen

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
To be honest, I understood what he spoke about, and definitely got the gist of it.

But he doesn't need to be a public speaker, ever.

Marly

Awards
only one of the most prolific and influential writers and critics in the 20th century no biggie

Alright, now I've taken note to memorize and familiarize myself with every prolific and influential writer and critic of the 20th century. Seeing as that sounds horrendously opinionated, this could take me a while. Still, I don't necessarily feel like I should've known who he was, as anyone could say that about a writer/critic.

more like you heard him say something and reacted to it as oppose to actually listen

Funny, I didn't realize you were capable of distinguishing what I may, or may not have selectively listened to. So unless you would like to actually say something to prove that what I heard isn't what I should have perceived through listening, I'll continue to insist that I listened quite well. So please, enlighten me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back