• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Lit ► Opening Lines & Favorite Passages

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Tyger Tyger, burning bright.
In the forests of the night.
What immortal hand or eye
could frame thy fearful symetry

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
Speaking to a troupe of actors late in the work.

"Your experience? Actors? I'm talking about death, you've never experienced that. You die a thousand casual deaths and come back in a different hat, but nobody gets up after death! There's no applause, only silence and some second hand clothes! THAT'S DEATH!"

~Rosencrantz (or Guildenstern) from the film adaptation of Tom Stoppard's "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead". Of course, it doesn't turn out as simple as all that.

Last edited:

Roa

piece of dying ember
Awards
"The dedication in this book is split 7 ways.

And to you, if you have stuck with Harry until the very end."

:3

"call me Ishmael" - Moby Dick.

I haven't read the Series of Unfortunate events in soooooo long, but I do remember all those opening/ending lines were very very good. And entertaining. =P

A Wicked Dawn

'It was a pleasure to burn.'
- Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury)
'As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect.'
- The Metamorphosis (Franz Kafka)
"It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen." - 1984, George Orwell
Entire preface to Dorian Gray is awesome:
There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all.

Those who find ugly meanings in beautiful things are corrupt without being charming. This is a fault.
Those who find beautiful meanings in beautiful things are the cultivated. For these there is hope.
They are the elect to whom beautiful things mean only Beauty.

These were the majority of my possible contributions.
Others:

"Muss es sein?" - one line, on its own page, in the beginning of House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. It translates as, "Must it be?"

Then two others from House of Leaves;

"Why would god create a dual universe?
So he might say, 'Be not like me; I am alone'
and it might be heard."

and

"Little solace comes to those who grieve,
when thoughts keep drifting as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind"

The last is my personal favorite.

Pelafina

lately, lovely
Awards
"Muss es sein?" - one line, on its own page, in the beginning of House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. It translates as, "Must it be?"

Then two others from House of Leaves;

"Why would god create a dual universe?
So he might say, 'Be not like me; I am alone'
and it might be heard."

and

"Little solace comes to those who grieve,
when thoughts keep drifting as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind"

The last is my personal favorite.

Oh you're so fantastic. As you can probably tell, I adore this novel. The poem that you last quoted is also one of my favorite passages.

And if I could quote all of Navidson's experience during Exploration Four, especially when he's reading and burning, I would.

A Wicked Dawn

Oh you're so fantastic. As you can probably tell, I adore this novel. The poem that you last quoted is also one of my favorite passages.

And if I could quote all of Navidson's experience during Exploration Four, especially when he's reading and burning, I would.

Thank you, and I absolutely agree. If I really extracted all of my favorite passages from that god of a novel... I would have copied down half of the book. Almost all of Exploration Four included and a number of Johnny's stories from his life - namely the "mother to all strays" tale. The twist on horror stories that are actually legitimate horror, with legitimate emotions, instead of a slasher tale made all the difference to me and gave me chills.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
‎"I am anti-life, the beast of judgement. I am the dark at the end of everything.
The end of of universes, god, worlds... of everything. What are you?"

"I am hope"

Sandman:preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman

Trag

Bronze Member
Ah, how Morpheus defeated the Demon. One of my favorite comics :3

A Wicked Dawn

‎"I am anti-life, the beast of judgement. I am the dark at the end of everything.
The end of of universes, god, worlds... of everything. What are you?"

"I am hope"

Sandman:preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman

YES this a dozen times over.

"What power would hell have if those imprisoned here would not be able to dream of heaven?"

Also Preludes and Nocturnes, by the great Mr. Gaiman.

Hamster Lord

Atrocity Exhibition
Awards
I don't know how I forgot this.

"NOT MY DAUGHTER YOU BITCH!"

-Mrs. Weasley, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 36, The Flaw in the Plan.

Pelafina

lately, lovely
Awards
YES this a dozen times over.

"What power would hell have if those imprisoned here would not be able to dream of heaven?"

Also Preludes and Nocturnes, by the great Mr. Gaiman.

Neil Gaiman is infinitely quotable. Another from him:

'Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.'

Sandman again.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning. ~ Opening of Eye of the World, and of all other thirteen books (so far to be fourteen in the end) of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time Series.

Silly phools.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Neil Gaiman is infinitely quotable. Another from him:

'Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.'

Sandman again.

This is eerily similar to a personal saying of mine

Trag

Bronze Member
'and the mortals! I ask you -- why? Tell me that -- why?'
' "why" what, first among the fallen?'
'why do they blame me for their little failings? They use my name as if I spend my entire day sitting on their shoulders, forcing them to commit acts they would otherwise find repulsive. "the devil made me do it." i have never made one of them do anything. never. they live their own tiny lives. I do not live their lives for them.'

Lucifer Morningstar and Morpheus, The Sandman: Season of Mists

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I showed that part to a friend other day, as we attend a Catholic school, he found it hilarious

Siren

brutally homeless and fluffy
Awards
"maybe all the strings inside him broke"

Part of something Margo says in Paper Towns, by John Green.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back