• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Terra's obsessed with power?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikkin

Bronze Member
I just don't see it. Master Eraqus claims that's the reason why Terra's dark, and all the bad guys treat Terra as if he'd do whatever it takes to make himself stronger, and yet... he honestly doesn't seem all that interested in it, and usually acts because the villains offering him power also offer him control over his darkness (which he'd like to force right back down where it came from).

Am I seriously supposed to accept that as a character trait of Terra's, even though he doesn't really show it? Or are Eraqus and Xehanort (and the villains Xehanort tipped off) just wrong about him? (Or, worse, am I missing something? XD)

jdeib963

No you're right I thought the same thing he really doesnt show that much interest in it. It was kind of weird. But in the end he actually DID give in to darkness to get ore power soooooo...idunno.

Lancelot

It's the only NEET thing to do.
Awards
^ But at that, it was for a reason that had nothing to do with power. It just became the manifestation of his deep wanting to protect Aqua and Ven, which in turn, was related to the hatred and anger towards Xehanort's scheme.

End story, I don't think he was power hungry at all.

noheartx

Shinkirō;5289607 said:
^ But at that, it was for a reason that had nothing to do with power. It just became the manifestation of his deep wanting to protect Aqua and Ven, which in turn, was related to the hatred and anger towards Xehanort's scheme.

End story, I don't think he was power hungry at all.

^this

he wanted control over the darkness and power to save Ven and Aqua so he wanted it but for the right reasons

kiante

I think we are supposed to assume that Master Eraqus saw Terra's lust for power for a LONG time. When Eraqus told Terra about it, Terra, being the excellence driven person he is, tried to temper that in himself. So through most of the game, he's trying to FIX that trait of his. Of course, that in turn is, in a way, a lust for power. It's his drive to always be the best, which can sometimes be detrimental. Remember what Eraqus said, explaining that sometimes it's okay to lose.

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
Whether or not you can see it is somewhat irrelevant, as the mere fact he has so much darkness kind of proves it. He was obsessed with becoming a Keyblade Master, which caused darkness to be born in his heart. This is why it hurts him so much when he loses, and MX plays into this obsession he has by calling him "Master Terra" and all that. It isn't so much power itself he is obsessed with, but the power associated with being a Master. I find anyway.

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
Like 'Seams said, he was more obsessed with becoming Keyblade Master, which he thought required power

Ikkin

Bronze Member
I think we are supposed to assume that Master Eraqus saw Terra's lust for power for a LONG time.

I don't think we can, actually, because of something revealed in Xehanort's Letter - Master Eraqus was all ready to make Terra a Master before Master Xehanort pointed out Terra's darkness and suggested that he should be tested first.

That's why Terra's so shocked by the results of the Mark of Mastery Exam - he didn't fail because of a weakness he'd been struggling with for years, he failed because of something Master Eraqus had never told him about.

When Eraqus told Terra about it, Terra, being the excellence driven person he is, tried to temper that in himself. So through most of the game, he's trying to FIX that trait of his. Of course, that in turn is, in a way, a lust for power. It's his drive to always be the best, which can sometimes be detrimental. Remember what Eraqus said, explaining that sometimes it's okay to lose.

Is being a perfectionist really the same thing as being power-hungry? I'd tend to think there'd be a sharp separation between them...

Whether or not you can see it is somewhat irrelevant, as the mere fact he has so much darkness kind of proves it. He was obsessed with becoming a Keyblade Master, which caused darkness to be born in his heart. This is why it hurts him so much when he loses, and MX plays into this obsession he has by calling him "Master Terra" and all that. It isn't so much power itself he is obsessed with, but the power associated with being a Master. I find anyway.

Why can't the darkness just be due to the obsession itself, though...? I don't see why power needs to play into it at all.

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards
Terra doesn't want power just for the sake of having power. Terra wants power to protect his friends. See we normally think of a lust for power in a bad way like with MX. But Terra lust for power was due to a noble cause, to protect. Where as with MX, he wanted power out of curiosity and the desire to control.

Still in both cases, it attracts darkness.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
I just don't see it. Master Eraqus claims that's the reason why Terra's dark, and all the bad guys treat Terra as if he'd do whatever it takes to make himself stronger, and yet... he honestly doesn't seem all that interested in it, and usually acts because the villains offering him power also offer him control over his darkness (which he'd like to force right back down where it came from).

Am I seriously supposed to accept that as a character trait of Terra's, even though he doesn't really show it? Or are Eraqus and Xehanort (and the villains Xehanort tipped off) just wrong about him? (Or, worse, am I missing something? XD)

I'd say Eraqus, Xehanort and the villains were just wrong about him. He isn't really obsessed with "power." He's more like really wanting to be a keyblade master, but he isn't really interested in "power..." unless you say "power to help his friends" or whatever but I'm assuming that's not the power you're talking about.

Gram

Banned
Awards
terra wanted power to protect his friends tho in the end it still drew him into darkness.

Gram

Banned
Awards
I don't think that is what happened at all.

dont get me wrong, just saying he wanted to be stronger to protect his friends not like a lust of power for the sake of having it.
and MX used that to lure him into it.

Absolute

The villains probably saw the darkness in him and assumed he was a bad guy and wanted more, probably thinking he was like themselves. He may have just gone along with the villains to understand darkness more and find a way to control his own darkness.

I don;t think he was hungry fpr power; he was just finding out a way to control or stop his darkness.

Ikkin

Bronze Member
dont get me wrong, just saying he wanted to be stronger to protect his friends not like a lust of power for the sake of having it.
and MX used that to lure him into it.

I just don't think that gaining the power to protect his friends is really Terra's motivation, because he doesn't really have that much of a reason to worry about them at the beginning of the game. The kind of strength he's interested in is the strength of heart needed to overcome his own darkness, not the external kind.

Gram

Banned
Awards
I just don't think that gaining the power to protect his friends is really Terra's motivation, because he doesn't really have that much of a reason to worry about them at the beginning of the game. The kind of strength he's interested in is the strength of heart needed to overcome his own darkness, not the external kind.
but he did from middle to end.
when did i ever say it was the external kind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back