• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Lit ► Book Recommendations

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roa

piece of dying ember
Awards
As you all know, school is starting up soon, and that means A.R. (Accelerated reading) which means I need book recommendations. And A.R. is what? 10 percent of my grade. :/

So onward!

I'm assuming you'll need books I like, and things of the like.

Books Roa has read and enjoyed:
Harry Potter (all of them)
Warriors Don't Cry

Redwall - Brian Jacques
Series of Unfortunate events - Lemmony snicket
Lord of the rings
The Face on the milk cartoon
A child called it
The Thief Lord

Books she did NOT like:
Inkhart
Percy Jackson Series

Books to not even mention:
Twilight series

In all, when I was little I read so god damn much, but for some reason, back in 7th grade, I just stopped. For no reason. ;~; And now I don't even remember most of the books I like, having stopped for so long. Nor disliked. (That's why the list is so small. ;~;)

And oh my reading level is anywhere really. (According to the star test it was 9th - 12th grade) but again, any level works. :3 :3

So go ahead, recommend away! :D

Last edited:

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Anything by this guy:
Robert-Heinlein.jpg

P.S. it's Robert A. Heinlein

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
when I was your age I started exploring shakespeare's stuff (midsummer night's dream, romeo & juliet etc) so those are fun. but I really think you'd like wildwood dancing, by juliet marillier, too. it's about these group of sisters, and the main character has a pet frog that talks and stuff and it's really sweet fantasy adventure/romance kind of thing. :3

teardrop

Haha, AR... Good times in seventh grade.

I'm trying to think of what's on AR. Anything by Laurie Halse Anderson is good, same with John Green. Looking for Alaska is a good book, might want to try that. Tunnels was great AND on AR...I think. Ray Bradbury is good, maybe try Fahrenheit 451 (that's on AR for sure). For a fact, I know A Separate Peace, April Morning, and And Then There Were None (Ten Little Indians) are on AR. The last two I didn't like, but you might. Codetalkers is also a good book, as is The Name of the Wind.

I could continue but I think that should be enough.

Jelai

Website
space-paranoids.tumblr.com
You must, must, must absolutely MUST read:

1984 and Brave New World.

If you've ever heard of the phrase, "Big Brother is Watching You", that originated from 1984.

Both books are about corrupt governments. One is on totalitarianism, and the other...I haven't finished reading it yet, but I heard it's about capitalism gone wrong. And it's very interesting to compare both books to today's society, and how shockingly true everything is.

You might get a chance to read them in 12th grade depending on your teacher and exactly what kind of English class you'll be taking in 12th grade, but if I were you, I would start reading them early.

Roa

piece of dying ember
Awards
Haha, AR... Good times in seventh grade.
Did you stop AR after 7th grade or something? We have it until 12th here. :/

You must, must, must absolutely MUST read:

1984 and Brave New World.

If you've ever heard of the phrase, "Big Brother is Watching You", that originated from 1984.

Both books are about corrupt governments. One is on totalitarianism, and the other...I haven't finished reading it yet, but I heard it's about capitalism gone wrong. And it's very interesting to compare both books to today's society, and how shockingly true everything is.

You might get a chance to read them in 12th grade depending on your teacher and exactly what kind of English class you'll be taking in 12th grade, but if I were you, I would start reading them early.
Those sound very interesting. I'll be sure to check those out~ :D

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
In addition to 1984 and Brave New World, both of which are among my favorites (but have already been mentioned), I'd highly recommend Catch-22. It is not only the most hilarious book I've ever read, but its message is a deeply striking one. However, the storytelling is also done in such a way that you need to read it at least twice in order to gather the full experience from it.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Did I mention heinlein? If you think his later stuff is too advanced because you're a little baby reader then he has a ton of juvenile stories (generally have to do with space exploration).

And for something completely different, Dune by Frank Herbert. Still easily has the most well-conceived universe in science-fiction, and the science behind the fiction is solid while simultaneously batshit insane at times. Thousands of years into the future mankind's empire has spread to the far reaches of the known universe. In order to traverse these great distances man must travel faster than the speed of light, but colliding with anything in space spells doom. Thinking machines have long since been banned, so the only way to navigate through space is to basically get the pilots so high that they see through space and time. There is only one drug that can induce this state, Melange "Spice," thus making it the most precious resource in the universe. Wars between what are essentially feudal planets are fought to control this most valuable of resources, for he who controls the Spice controls the universe.

That's just the beginning of it. There's also the coolest eugenics program ever, knife fights, and even a kind of genetic memory that allows one to see and understand the history and future of all human beings. There are a bunch of books in the series, but the first one is all you really need to read.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
And for something completely different, Dune by Frank Herbert. Still easily has the most well-conceived universe in science-fiction, and the science behind the fiction is solid while simultaneously batshit insane at times. Thousands of years into the future mankind's empire has spread to the far reaches of the known universe. In order to traverse these great distances man must travel faster than the speed of light, but colliding with anything in space spells doom. Thinking machines have long since been banned, so the only way to navigate through space is to basically get the pilots so high that they see through space and time. There is only one drug that can induce this state, Melange "Spice," thus making it the most precious resource in the universe. Wars between what are essentially feudal planets are fought to control this most valuable of resources, for he who controls the Spice controls the universe.
For more kickass sci-fi, Larry Niven's Ringworld novels, and Orson Scott Card's Ender novels.

Roa

piece of dying ember
Awards
K, I think I might have partially lied.

For some reason, Sci-Fi, and Robots confound me. So mostly anything dealing with space, or robots, or extremely advanced science that's like physics or chemistry just confuse me. (<-- Is why I never got into star wars.) It's not so much that it's too high in reading level, but in general, most sci-fi stuff confuses me. There are a few exceptions, but I forgot to mention that. XD

Yes, I had to read it a couple of times to understand it, but I'm very afraid to actually read this in book form. *gulp* But never-the-less, I'll see if I can find a copy~

In addition to 1984 and Brave New World, both of which are among my favorites (but have already been mentioned), I'd highly recommend Catch-22. It is not only the most hilarious book I've ever read, but its message is a deeply striking one. However, the storytelling is also done in such a way that you need to read it at least twice in order to gather the full experience from it.
Derp derp, sounds interesting enough. *adds to list*
Yep. AR stopped in 7th grade for the kids in the advanced class, the 8th grade for everyone in the average class. But we still have to read ):
What the hell? We have to do A.R. until 12th grade - advanced or not. Where do you even live to be so lucky? :(

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
(<-- Is why I never got into star wars.)
I don't mean to offend, but Star Wars, as far as science-fiction technicality goes, is nearer to the bottom of the list than even the middle of it.

Roa

piece of dying ember
Awards
No no, you're not offending me. XD

but Star Wars, as far as science-fiction technicality goes, is nearer to the bottom of the list than even the middle of it.
I rest my case then. If Star wars confuses me, I can only wonder what the stories in the middle will do to my brain. xD

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Dune is pretty mindfuckery in terms of the sheer imagination and depth of Herbert's world. The actual narrative of the first book is basically Lawrence of Arabia in space. A young noble and his mother are stranded on a desert planet by a rival family and live with the indiginous desert people. The two learn the ways of these people and use them to avenge their family. That's pretty much it, but how it happens is where the science comes in.

It's also about 500 pages long so I guess maybe you should stick to something shorter if it's for school.

bond of flames

you've got a soul, use it.
Website
www.facebook.com
so this is for school huh?
hmmm
well i guess ive seen some colleges and stuff have you read atlas shrugged
i took a chance at it because some of bioshocks story was based on it
but im too dumb for it haha
it was very interesting
but a lot of it went right over me

hmm
i read everything that rises must converge by flanner o'connel(o'conner)
damn i cant remember
i thought it was a pretty good book
im probably too dumb for it though
most of the stories just seemed ironic to me
idk haha

unknownlord

I'm happy to see the Dune and the Ender saga was already mentioned. I recommend A Farewell to Arms by Hemingway, as well as Tim O' Brien's The Things They Carried if you want books with a war feel to them. If you want something more a lot more refined, try Lolita by Vladamir Nabokov.

Roa

piece of dying ember
Awards
Dune is pretty mindfuckery in terms of the sheer imagination and depth of Herbert's world. The actual narrative of the first book is basically Lawrence of Arabia in space. A young noble and his mother are stranded on a desert planet by a rival family and live with the indiginous desert people. The two learn the ways of these people and use them to avenge their family. That's pretty much it, but how it happens is where the science comes in.

It's also about 500 pages long so I guess maybe you should stick to something shorter if it's for school.
Got a copy. :3

so this is for school huh?
hmmm
well i guess ive seen some colleges and stuff have you read atlas shrugged
i took a chance at it because some of bioshocks story was based on it
but im too dumb for it haha
it was very interesting
but a lot of it went right over me

hmm
i read everything that rises must converge by flanner o'connel(o'conner)
damn i cant remember
i thought it was a pretty good book
im probably too dumb for it though
most of the stories just seemed ironic to me
idk haha
Uh, it'd help if I could read your post. :/

Hemingway,
No.
you want books with a war feel to them.
Absolutely no.
If you want something more a lot more refined, try Lolita by Vladamir Nabokov.
I have to remember to this read this. @.@ I have a (digital) copy, but I haven't gotten onto this book yet. :/

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Ender's Game and Ender's Exile for sure, if you like them then the whole series is for you.

Life of Pi, very interesting novel which is humorous and eloquently put.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back