• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► joining the marines...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Counter Shock

Bunneh As$as$in
ok so, I don't think college is for me. just don't have the money, and cant see myself going.. its hard to explain. the military just always seemed right to me. but.. fam and friends just laugh and think im fcuking crazy for doin it. saying i wont make it. I just don't freakin get it. i'm in shape, not great shape or anything, but i already meet the requirements for passing boot camp.. but they thinking im throwing my life away and i wont make it anyway so im just wastin my time

my gf even said she'd brake up with me over it v.v

don't know what to do any more. advice?

kingdomkey96

Omniversally considered a badass.
ok so, I don't think college is for me. just don't have the money, and cant see myself going.. its hard to explain. the military just always seemed right to me. but.. fam and friends just laugh and think im fcuking crazy for doin it. saying i wont make it. I just don't freakin get it. i'm in shape, not great shape or anything, but i already meet the requirements for passing boot camp.. but they thinking im throwing my life away and i wont make it anyway so im just wastin my time

Sometimes you just can't worry about making others happy but rather making yourself happy. Whatever you want to do is what you SHOULD do. I can see where your parents are coming from but if you don't have the money or the want to go to college don't. About your girlfriend threatening about breaking up with you that's harsh if she really likes you she's just bluffing.

Counter Shock

Bunneh As$as$in
^thanks man.. but idk I'd be in it for at least 4 years, and would be away for most of the time. I do see where she's coming from :(

Coffee Lover

Bronze Member
Awards
Have you talked to a recruiter? I think you should look at the Marines, but also look at Army, Navy, and Air Force as well. I think you should look at all options and look at the branch that fits you the most. Not everyone is cut out to be a Marine, that's why in the commercial it says, "The Few, The Proud, The Marines". Becoming a Marine is definitely something.

I also agree with kingdomkey96. Do what makes you happy. I think that your parents, family, friends, and your girl friend should be supporting you instead of discouraging you. It's okay to say what's in store, but they also need to tell the positives of the military.

Counter Shock

Bunneh As$as$in
yes, I've talked to each recruiter. something in me wants to go with the marines. I want to do something with my life that few people have. I want to be one of those few, that join the marines. just feels like its what im supposed to do in life. not trying to sound corny, lol. no one gets that though.. and it's frustrating as hell ><

Coffee Lover

Bronze Member
Awards
yes, I've talked to each recruiter. something in me wants to go with the marines. I want to do something with my life that few people have. I want to be one of those few, that join the marines. just feels like its what im supposed to do in life. not trying to sound corny, lol. no one gets that though.. and it's frustrating as hell ><

I get it, or at least I think I get it. It's your "calling". If that's the case, then I definitely understand. In that case, if I were you, I'd join the Marines. If your girlfriend is true, then she really won't break up with you. I'd join the Marines. Not only achieve your goal, but prove your doubters wrong. Let their doubts strengthen you.

We can only give you advice and suggestions. The decision is up to you. Whatever you decide, I hope that you will be confident in your decision and that everything works out.

God Bless.

Tenyas

RE: +"T!red"+
People seem to be bashing the military more and more these days... I blame it upon the way they're being used. It's not their fault doing their jobs. =w=

Anyways, if you feel like you should be a Marine, and you have the will to go through everything it takes, from starting off as the underdog and slowly working your way up the ladder to following commands of War if need be, then you should do it. If your parents are bashing you for it, then that's not good parenting. If anything, they should encourage you for actually planning on doing something with your life then sitting in college going, "I dunno". As for your Girlfriend, she has some reason to be like that. For a lot of girlfriends and wives of enlisted men, and in some cases the husbands of enlisted women, it's hard to be away from those they love for long periods of time. Marines especially, spending as long as they do out at sea. Just try your best to comfort her and spend time with her when you can if you really like her.

Gram

Banned
Awards
you shoudl go for it, if they cant support you then atleast prove them wrong.
plus its the best thing if you dont want to go to college. tho your likely to be sent overseas.

kingdomkey96

Omniversally considered a badass.
Reading these comments i actually do see where your gf is coming from. I thought at first read 'oh well she wants you to do college to secure her future' but now i realise she's probably saying that because she realises she'll hardly see you. Despite this you have to do what you want and comfort her best you could. I mean with skype and what not things won't be so bad.

Counter Shock

Bunneh As$as$in
^I know.. but I can't just blow off my entire future for her T_T it's a fcuking horrible and miserable discision I got to make..

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
In case you didn't know, the military will help you pay for college.

Anyway, just do what you feel you need to do, and hope your family supports you. That's not to say ignore advice or what they have to say; definitely listen, but ultimately do what you feel you need to do for yourself.

Counter Shock

Bunneh As$as$in
^I know. my plan as of right now is to do infantry for 4 years, then either reinlist for intel/counter intel, or go to college. either way with intel, that will help me get into a good civilian job after.

to me it seems like my best option. like anyone can get a job anymore. it's almost impossible without college. I can't live off my mc donalds income either lol

but anyway, thanks again guys :) I have a few months to think it over

SEMTEX

I was considering joining the marines but I backed down at the last minute because I found a new career. Something better.

Do what I did: Decline the marines and rejoice as you take your Bar Exam in seven to ten years so you can rake in the money as a lawyer. Otherwise, you will indeed be miserable.

Epif

The Delicious
Website
epiphany-delirium.tumblr.com

Listen, when my brother joined the army, we were completed shocked. He had gone to a recruiter a couple times, but he promised that he'd talk to us about it and such... he didn't.

I can tell you a few things about going into the military:
1. You go in, and they break you.
2. You get broken, and then they rebuild your personality to what they want.
3. You get their personality, and get sent home for a while (maybe).
4. None of your loved ones like you anymore.
5. They end up getting fed up with you, and they let you know you've changed.
6. You're no longer who you were before going into the military.

Your family is saying that stuff most likely because they don't think you're the clichéd soldier, but after you go in, you get molded into the clichéd soldier. That's why there is a clichéd soldier.

You should come to terms whether or not you want to change. You should do that before you go into the military.

SEMTEX

^Kind of the right advice but no offense you're going about it the incorrect way.

Jelai

Website
space-paranoids.tumblr.com
Won't make money? Dude, the military has so many benefits. Free housing, no taxes when shopping on base, you get to be stationed around the world, military discounts on many things such as discounts on amusement park tickets, restaurant discounts, etc. And I guess you know the free college thing by now: G. I. Bills and stuff or whatever. And if you ever settle down and have a family, they're in on the benefits, too. If you ever get stationed in California or choose to retire there, they have this thing there called CalVet where military dependents can have their tuition payed by the military.

You can earn money in military while studying in college for free! You can even earn money from the military, even after retirement. There's your retirement pay, and then there's federal jobs. Just get a federal job and you'll be assigned this GS rankings or something like that, and they're quite decent pay. Don't forget that the higher your rank is in the military, the more money you'll earn. Just work hard for it.

SEMTEX

Whoa, I might have to give it to ya there, pal. That is quality advice. F**k my advice, lol. Go with jelai!

Counter Shock

Bunneh As$as$in
Listen, when my brother joined the army, we were completed shocked. He had gone to a recruiter a couple times, but he promised that he'd talk to us about it and such... he didn't.

I can tell you a few things about going into the military:
1. You go in, and they break you.
2. You get broken, and then they rebuild your personality to what they want.
3. You get their personality, and get sent home for a while (maybe).
4. None of your loved ones like you anymore.
5. They end up getting fed up with you, and they let you know you've changed.
6. You're no longer who you were before going into the military.

Your family is saying that stuff most likely because they don't think you're the clichéd soldier, but after you go in, you get molded into the clichéd soldier. That's why there is a clichéd soldier.

You should come to terms whether or not you want to change. You should do that before you go into the military.

you're making it sound as if they're robots. my cousin was in the marines, he was the partying type and shit like that. while yes he was somewhat different after coming back, he didnt change that much. still has good times and isnt the "clichéd soldier" you're talking about

@jelai thanks for the info. I didn't even know some of that lol

Jelai

Website
space-paranoids.tumblr.com
Whoa, I might have to give it to ya there, pal. That is quality advice. F**k my advice, lol. Go with jelai!

lol, thanks. I've been a military brat for 12 years now. I'm a daughter of a retired Navy serviceman, and am darn proud of it. So that's how I know some of this stuff, lol. And I wouldn't trade the experience for the world~

@jelai thanks for the info. I didn't even know some of that lol

You're welcome!
I might join the military too (air force in particular), but not for combat. I'm thinking about just working as a physical or occupational therapist in the federal hospitals. I get the same perks as any other military member, and might even immediately get officer rank (I heard medical professionals are immediately granted officer rank? But I'm not exactly sure. I'll have to ask my dad).

Really, if can't handle the combat, then I suggest working at the federal hospitals instead. Same benefits, but less stress physically, emotionally, and mentally...or not. Because then again there are those horror stories I've heard from nurses. Well mainly nurses. Just don't be a nurse lol.

Oh yeah, and if you do decide to become a military nurse, there's a chance you'll be placed out there in the battle field anyway, taking care of wounded soldiers and such.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back