• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

why do so many people dislike 358/2 days

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

what do you think about 358/2 days

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smile

Codename: D
Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
It's not like Roxas didn't get any character development at all. Despite it all, he's not a flat character. They just took with him a development direction quite a few people disagree with. That hardly means he didn't get development :\

It probably gets the hate because of Xion

I'm not sure if it's people really hating Xion anymore as much as SE not really seeming to care about anything but her.

MomentoMori

Dead Technology
Website
mypage.na.square-enix.com
It's not like Roxas didn't get any character development at all. Despite it all, he's not a flat character. They just took with him a development direction quite a few people disagree with. That hardly means he didn't get development :\

I'm not sure if it's people really hating Xion anymore as much as SE not really seeming to care about anything but her.

Xion seemed to me more of the main focus than Roxas, but I guess it's because SE wanted to explain why Roxas left the Organization, and maybe they thought the best way to explain that would be to place a good bit of emphasis on Xion.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
It's not like Roxas didn't get any character development at all. Despite it all, he's not a flat character. They just took with him a development direction quite a few people disagree with. That hardly means he didn't get development :/

What development? How do you think he grew and changed over the course of the game?

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
^Well, the emphasis would've been on friendship. Xion was put in the game so that-in a natural way-there would be a cause for Roxas leaving.

her finding out the truth causes a rift between her and Axel. Axel decides not to tell Roxas for worry of him being upset. The rest of the group treat Xion like sh*t. She herself leaves willingly and gets involved with Riku, DiZ, and Namine. Axel forces her to come back, causing not only the gap between them to grow bigger, but now him and Roxas. It happens again. Roxas continues to see flashes of Sora, and he longs to find out about him. Xion tries to leave again, but is forced back again and reprogramed to destroy Roxas, but on her next mission, she leaves yet again! Roxas learns the whole truth from Axel, making him angry and he leaves all bada$$-like just walking out of the castle slaying Nobodies who get in his way. Xion then tricks him into killing her.......two days later. I mean, what was he doing day 256?

Character-wise, development isn't the biggest problem. Practically every new world/experience teaches Roxas something new. Axel hates babysitting, but that doesnt mean he's pissed at Roxas off the bat. Maybe it was an easier BS job than he thought. Dilan clearly must have loved and lost and been convinced by people who havent loved at all that he was better off, otherwise he wouldnt have been so sure it's a delusion. Saix, in this game, doesnt have character development but his former friendship with Axel is clear each time they're on-screen together. The only other remote substance in a character is Lexeaus. He's such a thinker and not much of a talker and he's definitely not about to star in his own Late-Night comedy talk-show.

Actually, mentioning Xaldin reminded me of something f*ching hilarious, but only related to the game in part.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
^Well, the emphasis would've been on friendship. Xion was put in the game so that-in a natural way-there would be a cause for Roxas leaving.

(Friendly tip: If you want to use the spoiler tags, you either have to use 'spoiler=title' or 'spoilers' ;D)

That is how they chose to tell the story in Days, yes. But back when KH2 came out, why did you think Roxas left? He said he wanted to find out why he had the Keyblade, and Riku said he probably wanted to meet Sora. His conversations with Axel implied that he had been lied to and wanted to find out the truth. And Nomura even said in an interview:

What triggered Roxas’ separation from the Organization?
Nomura: As he kept having recurring dreams of Sora, someone he didn’t know, he felt he needed to leave the Organization to find out who these people he didn’t know were. As Axel didn’t want him to go, he didn’t tell Sora about Roxas in Castle Oblivion, did he?

So, we have a few reasons here:
+find out who he is and about the dreams
+find out why he has the Keyblade
+meet Sora

And we have potential reasons why he would have come to feel that way:
+finding out he was being used and lied to
+finding out his best friend was lying to him
+dreams about Sora
+learning from Disney worlds/memories about real friendships and what life should be like

So really, if the Org was telling him if they worked for him he'd get a heart and his answers, when really he could go meet Sora and find all the answers, they were lying to him and using him. Of course he'd want to leave that, if his own goals were important to him.

Xion doesn't fix a plot hole, she just creates an alternate plot thread.

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
What development? How do you think he grew and changed over the course of the game?

Well, he was more bitter, for one. A lot less trusting, too, and clingy in a whole new way that wasn't quite his "omfg Axel's here <3" vibe from the start of the game.
He also seemed to be more scared which relates back to his clinginess. Thinking he lost Axel really got to him, I think, so he was really scared about both him and Xion until the lack of trust issues kicked but still, even despite that, we have him telling Xion that they needed to have ice cream again, all three of them, and he stirred inside Sora when Axel vanished in KH2. For the clueless kid whose universe consisting of eating ice cream on the roof with Axel, losing even people he couldn't trust was a bit deal, something I'm not sure you could say from the get go.
So yeah, I might not like the kid, but I can't say he's the same at the end of Days as he was at the start, not by a long shot.

Days was just fanservice anyway, though. You can still understand the series pretty well even if you don't play it.

Some people say that about CoM too with how it was a "recap of KH1", so I tend to take such statements with a grain of salt, especially seeing how the series is far from its end and Nomura might shove those things in our faces again.
It doesn't matter if it was the novels' author idea or his own - Nomura gave it the green light and now it's part of the KH canon-verse. He has no reason not to use it if he'll find a way.

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
The overall plot of KH right now (with as much as I know about BBS which is thankfully not ALL of it), can be summed up as Sora, his clones and how they live together in his head
As Xion falls into that criteria and has links to Sora himself, Roxas, Ven, and most likely Riku too, and debatably Vanitas, too, she's one useful wildcard to use should Nomura decide to go down that path, specifically the Riku relations if half the theories I like to entertain myself with are true, as they link her to something outside of Sora to create greater conflict in the plot.

tl;dr she has a lot more potential than a lot of other characters.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Well, he was more bitter, for one. A lot less trusting, too, and clingy in a whole new way that wasn't quite his "omfg Axel's here <3" vibe from the start of the game.
He also seemed to be more scared which relates back to his clinginess. Thinking he lost Axel really got to him, I think, so he was really scared about both him and Xion until the lack of trust issues kicked but still, even despite that, we have him telling Xion that they needed to have ice cream again, all three of them, and he stirred inside Sora when Axel vanished in KH2. For the clueless kid whose universe consisting of eating ice cream on the roof with Axel, losing even people he couldn't trust was a bit deal, something I'm not sure you could say from the get go.
So yeah, I might not like the kid, but I can't say he's the same at the end of Days as he was at the start, not by a long shot.

That's true, and I don't think those qualities are what people disagree with. The problem is that all that happened in the last 60 days or so. He spends the whole game sitting around happily (apart from when Xion faints etc), then he starts distrusting Axel at about the 300 day mark. But he still just sits around doing nothing until Xion leaves for good and he finds out the lies in a meeting (when Xion had to have dreams and run away and look in Castle Oblivion and meet Riku to get to that point) and then leaves himself. I think they could have done so much more with him.

But I know you think things are how they is in Days because that's all they could ever be, whereas I think things are how they are in Days because sacrifices were made, and I don't think there's any point talking about it further, with me at least. ;D

Some people say that about CoM too with how it was a "recap of KH1", so I tend to take such statements with a grain of salt, especially seeing how the series is far from its end and Nomura might shove those things in our faces again.

I think as long as you hear somewhere that 'Roxas and Axel had a girl friend who is now in Sora and everyone forgot her' you don't have to play Days, seeing as Days didn't introduce any other new characters or new plot threads, that I can think of.

Weeaboo

Kawaii Queen
Awards
Website
www.subeta.net
Ya know what Days reminds me of?

That one Bleach movie where they found this girl but she disappeared and everyone forgot her.

That's it.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

That one Bleach movie where they found this girl but she disappeared and everyone forgot her.

That's it.

Holy crap

Bleach: Memories of Nobody - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Memories... of... Nobody.

Senna sacrifices herself to push the two worlds back apart to save Ichigo. Senna asks Ichigo to take her to the graveyard so she can see her name on her gravestone. Though the stone is blank, Ichigo lies and tells her that her name is on it. Believing him, she expresses contentment that she once had a life of her own before fading away. Rukia notes that once the power of the Blanks fades away, so will all memories of Senna.

ccc4b56bac6360_full.jpg

..........This movie came out in 2006. You liar, Kanemaki. This is where you got your inspiration, not the CoM novels!

huanglulu

That's it.

Now that you mentioned it. Days really is quite similar to the movie and Xion is kind of like Senna except she is made up of the memories of Sora and Senna the memories of alot of people.

loke13

Waiting on FF XV and KH3 :D
Some people say that about CoM too with how it was a "recap of KH1", so I tend to take such statements with a grain of salt, especially
That I don't really agree with. COM basically sets the stage for KH2, if you skip it your left with a few unanswered questions and most of the stuff in KH2 would feel like ass pulls. If you skip over Days the only thing your left wondering is "Who is that black-haired Kairi?
seeing how the series is far from its end and Nomura might shove those things in our faces again.
Its nice to hope isn't it.

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
That I don't really agree with. COM basically sets the stage for KH2, if you skip it your left with a few unanswered questions and most of the stuff in KH2 would feel like ass pulls. If you skip over Days the only thing your left wondering is "Who is that black-haired Kairi?"

You're ignoring the fact that your own examples makes your claim redundant.
CoM, when it was released, didn't seem to contribute all that much beyond character development. So Riku got over his Darkness and Sora was restoring his Memories. Fun. If they wanted to they could've had Riku meet up with Sora once Sora woke up and all would've been well.
But they didn't, and that is where CoM's importance stems from - the games that came after it.
Judging Days' value now is nothing short of stupid, as much as people might dislike it. BBS's secret ending shows that Xion is amongst those whose torment need to end, or so I've been told around these parts, and Sora's internal structure was made into a much bigger issue than it originally was with just Roxas merging into him and Namine taking whatever she might've taken from him which was enough of an issue already.
So yes, Days basically gave us Xion as far as anything potentially useful goes, but it did give us Xion, with ties to Sora, the Keyblade, to Ven, and most likely to Riku.

And it's not until the series ends that we can judge whether or not the game was redundant because the last time I checked, new games didn't have to contribute too much to the previous games - they needed, if they were side stories, to help set up the future of the story. So why the heck are you all looking over your shoulders and whining it didn't matter any to KH2?

Jakek9

Ya, it got repetitive but it was fun. I am not so picky and am not easily annoyed. Though I admit it is simply a complete and utter nuisance gameplay wise. the only thing I found fun was the bosses and the occasional heartless.

People complained it was to easy. Well here's an idea, we have panels. Use them to make it a challenge, if your that hardcore to complain in the first place than make it a challenge for yourself. Don't be a jackass and whine to everyone else about it.

And then people days was complete fanservice. Duh. What did you expect? A high quality deep and dark plotted story with twists for the age to come with the best gameplay available in the series? Sure, some things could have been done better, but it wasn't. The story wasn't to bad, besides the slow pacing.

Really, people dislike it for whatever reasons they can name. I DON'T blame them. The game wasn't to great compared to the rest, but you couldn't have high expectations anyways. It is on the DS.

Hopefully Re: Coded can avoid the mistakes made with Days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back