• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home bound

Just Caaaalm Down
Someone likes of Prince of Persia.

I almost booked tickets to see this movie on the coming Sunday. Directly after the movie there is a Q&A with Jake Gyllenhaal, Gemma Arterton, Mike Newell and Jerry Bruckheimer. Figured it'd be one of those "interesting/once in a liftetime experiences". All it said was that is was at the George St Cinema and while I didn't know where that was, I knew my girlfriend did. Talked to her for two days about whether we wanted to go. Then I put the foot down and went to buy tickets at the website, went through to the last stage before confirmation and then it said it was at the George St Cinema in Sydney. Not Brisbane.

I FFFFFFFFFF'd.

Ha, that sucked. How far is Sydney from Bisbane?

Anyways here's a sneek peek
YouTube - 'Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time' Sneak Attack

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
So I have noticed that this film has been getting some pretty decent reviews and previews from the media. Of course I'll have to see it myself before I can make any judgement call or agree with any of them. However, my one issue with these reviews and interviews and so on is that they treat this movie as an original film of sorts.

Not that there's anything wrong with that but it would be nice to hear something on TV or read an article (not online) that includes the fact that this is a live action adaptation of a video game. Especially for us gamers who get such a bad wrap. If this film is done right it could open a whole new door to video games turned live action and also improve people's general view on games. In a way like how people always said comics are for nerds and this and that. Now look at the movies that do the best in the box office. Comic book films. People's attitudes have changed. And more people are aware of comics and that many of them aren't just shallow or immature "picture books." Hopefully the same will start to happen with video games.

sora4sky

~(x)~Sword Art Online~(x)~
I saw the movie yesterday.

It's an amazing movie everything i wanted to see and everything i hope for was in it.

The only disappointment was that-It looks like we will not have a sequel

Home bound

Just Caaaalm Down
I saw the movie yesterday.

It's an amazing movie everything i wanted to see and everything i hope for was in it.

The only disappointment was that-It looks like we will not have a sequel

No there's still possibility for a sequel. It was said they it depends on how the film does on opening weekend. Gemma Arterton is open with the idea, but Jake has yet to make up his mind. I guess he's hasn't thought that far ahead.

sora4sky

~(x)~Sword Art Online~(x)~
No there's still possibility for a sequel. It was said they it depends on how the film does on opening weekend. Gemma Arterton is open with the idea, but Jake has yet to make up his mind. I guess he's hasn't thought that far ahead.

Oh i see i didn't know this, that's good to hear...

I hope to make up his mind.

wushuman90

Scores are up.

Critics: C+
Users: A-
My Reaction: ALRIGHT, that's good. Expected worse, but that great for a game movie. Not to mention most of the reviews were B ratings and who knows, this could be one of the films that could've deserve more (Shrek 4) Also they said that it's one of the better popcorn flicks, and officially the best game adaptation out there. I have to see for myself though.

wushuman90

I just saw Prince of Persia (SPOILER)

I'll tell you this. Just because it's Disney does NOT mean it's for kids. In fact I forgot it was a disney movie during 1/4 of the movie. A bit more bloodier, and a darker, less funnier tone than the Pirates films (even 2 and 3). If you think it should be PG rated then ratings are oficially dead.

I'd say overall this movie is actually faithful to the video game, in fact you won't think it's a game adaptation at all. You'll quite know the characters, but it's just an Old-fashion adventure film with the feel of Pirates, LOTR, and Aladdin. It's nothing like The Mummy like everyone says. Jake portrayed the The Prince surprisingly well. Almost like Heath Ledger as the Joker. Though his accent seemed a little unusual at first, but it gets better dramatically later on. He also did a lot of stunts himself. You'd HARDLY see any stuntmen doing any stunts. Oh, and the action is FANTASIC. Pretty fast, and real though the camera speed and angle change was a little too fast. Still I was really impressed for the most part. Especially with Dastan fighting Garsiv, the two whip dude, the snake guy, and his uncle Nizim. Gemma also does a fine performance as well. I like when she whines, acted feisty, and just plain cool. This is my favorite part. SPOILERS

Dastan: Please! you already has water a few minutes ago.

Tamina: ....

Dastan: Finally! The Princess stays quiet!

*Sees Tamina Fainted*

Dastan: Tamina...TAMINA.

*Runs to her and grabs her*

Dastan: Can you hear me?

*Tamina knockes him out in the head with a bone then grabs the dagger*

Tamina: Yes Dastan! I can hear you.

*Runs away*

The acting was A class. There are times when they don't take things seriously, but when it get serious I was amazed on how they acted. I didn't had to be concerned with the lines too. Ben Kingsley was incredible aswell. The way he played the villain was a surprised for me. First you don't have much attention to him, then in 2/4 of the movie everything is revealed. I have to say, the way slit Tus's throat like nothing left a low of surprised gasps in the theater. He did a better performance in this film than Shutter Island. Also Alfred Molina was very funny. Kept whining about tax and he loved ostrich racing (he even kissed an ostriches neck)
I LOL when he said to this hassansin.

"Hey! Do you know what they say about man with big sword?

*shows pinky*

He also had a dark side as well which surprised me. He didn't do very much action (except punched Dastan), but he is funnier and more serious than Doc Oct in SM2. Along with many other splendid performances. This film also has one of the BIGGEST realistic environments I have ever seen in any movie. The story was also fine as well, I don't really understand what people said that it's too complicated. It does have a lot going on, but I think I was one of the few people that knows what's going on, and managed to keep up. The ending was also predictable, but worked out well just like the game (it shows flashback of the whole movie) and I wasn't confused at all. I think the problem was that the scenes felt very trimmed and too short. Like they were sort of rush to this situation to the next, and there is like A LOT of scenes that were deleted from what I've seen from the trailers, and featurettes. And about the "seen it before." I think that's sort of because of the screen color, the realistic environment that makes people part of that world, the tone of the acting, and it makes you think "this popcorn tastes familar." but It's hardly something that people have seen before.

After watching this movie you might go watch resident evil just to feel better from the cheesiness, but comparing this to other game adaptations is like comparing this to sh**. Not only is this by far the best game adaptation yet, but much better than Clash of the Titans, Robin Hood, and quite possibly Iron Man 2 IMO. Great popcorn flick! Though it a little too dark, and felt very rushed in the most parts. It only feel long because there was a lot of events.

Still I give it a solid B+. One of the better action/adventure films. I'll go see it again tomorrow, but just like playing DMC4. Watching this movie makes me want to read manga badly...I'm serious.

Et Cetera

Bronze Member
You know we have spoiler tags, right?
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Anyway, I saw it and liked it. The ending made me a bit fffffffff though

wushuman90

On second thought. I'm giving this movie an A-.

Best movie of the year so far. I watched it like 3 times and I still feel like going on and watching it more. I have never enjoyed a movie like this since POTC2 (Yes, I really love that movie). At first I had mix feeling of this movie because of the editing, and it was going too fast. Then when I saw it the second time I felt like I was watching LOTR. I just got hooked.

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
what the...

you did not just compare Prince of Persia to the Lord of the Rings? those three movies are utterly fantastic cinematic achievements.

now, i haven't seen Prince of Persia yet but it's a Bruckheimer movie. in no way shape or form could it ever compare to the Lord of the Rings.

june

I watched the movie last week. Actually, as an action film, I thought it was going to be a bit boring.
But I had a good time, I laugh many times. It was well done, and the protagonist is one of my favourites actors <3

Trukybldemstr2

Garbage Pail Kid
Website
www.facebook.com
Just watched it....it was good..but it wasn't the summer flick of the decade..or year. Actually..it might be for the year. But anyways. It was good and shows me there is hope for VG based movies.

wushuman90

what the...

you did not just compare Prince of Persia to the Lord of the Rings? those three movies are utterly fantastic cinematic achievements.

now, i haven't seen Prince of Persia yet but it's a Bruckheimer movie. in no way shape or form could it ever compare to the Lord of the Rings.

Sorry. It just sort of shares the same kind of epicness as LOTR does. A huge battle at Alamut in the beginning of the movie. A large realistic, artistic world including the snowy mountains. And an adventure to take the dagger to the guardian temple like taking the ring to mount doom. I love LOTR more, but POP made me remember those incredible films.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back