• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Aqua and Phil in Olympus Coliseum

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikkin

Bronze Member
Okay, so I just watched Aqua's story in Olympus Coliseum with fansubs on Youtube... and... well, wow.

Phil's treatment of Aqua is seriously the most disturbing thing I've seen in this series. D= I'm not really sure how to take the way Aqua reacts, though, since she kind of seems to act as if Phil hadn't said anything at all.

So, for anyone with more knowledge of the original Japanese context - how, exactly, is Aqua's reaction supposed to be understood? Is she supposed to be just accepting the behavior for the sake of convenience, or is she actively blowing him off by changing the subject and interrupting him?

Key

Exile
Awards
I just went and rewatched the scene, and i think she was changing the subject to avoid the situation. Remember that Phil acted the same way in the movie too, and most girls there blew him off in some way or another-- Aqua was just smart enough not to question it and say something completely different.

Ikkin

Bronze Member
I just went and rewatched the scene, and i think she was changing the subject to avoid the situation. Remember that Phil acted the same way in the movie too, and most girls there blew him off in some way or another-- Aqua was just smart enough not to question it and say something completely different.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is, what is Aqua supposed to be thinking? She doesn't really show any kind of instinctive reaction to the innuendo (unlike her response to Phil winking at her), which seems weird if she's just holding back to keep from getting derailed from what she really wanted to talk about.

Which leads to two other interpretations - either it's not considered polite to react badly (...eww), or she isn't really sure what he was implying apart from the fact that it's creepy (which makes the whole thing even more sketchy).

And, yeah, he did the same thing in the movies. But he generally got slapped for it, which was the thing that made it funny to begin with. =/ Here, it comes off as Phil abusing Aqua's willingness to listen to whomever she thinks can tell her where Terra is.

Ulti

hurr hurr hurr
Awards
I don't know how this is at all important but...

It is pretty obvious that Aqua heard the word Terra and just focused on that, probably not even hearing Phil's offer. I don't see how Phil is being weird. Its Phil, the hound goat.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
I don't know how this is at all important but...

It is pretty obvious that Aqua heard the word Terra and just focused on that, probably not even hearing Phil's offer. I don't see how Phil is being weird. Its Phil, the hound goat.

After watching the scene I have to agree with this. Didn't seem all that creepy to me. Just Phil being Phil.

Ikkin

Bronze Member
After watching the scene I have to agree with this. Didn't seem all that creepy to me. Just Phil being Phil.

The creepy part to me was how overtly sexual it came off, at least in the fan-translation. Offering to give show her "what he thinks a hero should be," in the evening? There's a pretty clear implication there, and I find it really squicky. Especially when he then goes on to change/lie about the rules of the Games so she has to perform for him instead of just going off to find Terra like she wanted.

Ulti

hurr hurr hurr
Awards
The creepy part to me was how overtly sexual it came off, at least in the fan-translation. Offering to give show her "what he thinks a hero should be," in the evening? There's a pretty clear implication there, and I find it really squicky. Especially when he then goes on to change/lie about the rules of the Games so she has to perform for him instead of just going off to find Terra like she wanted.

Or it could be that your mind is in the gutter.

Aqualung

Pretty much this.

Also, I just noticed something about the character limit: it doesn't count characters in quotes... 0__0

Ikkin

Bronze Member

Okay, let's forget about that part, since it's not an official translation anyway and the tone could have gotten messed up somewhere.

He's still trying to get her to agree to some kind of "special training," which, at it's best, is an attempt on his part to use his position as a hero trainer to ogle her. >_>;

...though this does seem to make a "not sure what he's talking about, so I'll ignore it" reaction seem more like a possibility... >.>

Ulti

hurr hurr hurr
Awards
Okay, let's forget about that part, since it's not an official translation anyway and the tone could have gotten messed up somewhere.

He's still trying to get her to agree to some kind of "special training," which, at it's best, is an attempt on his part to use his position as a hero trainer to ogle her. >_>;

...though this does seem to make a "not sure what he's talking about, so I'll ignore it" reaction seem more like a possibility... >.>

Oh, you mean the special training that Sora got in the previous games where it was just a cheap mini game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back