• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What's with blue eyes in BBS?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

chasespicer056

Empathy is Divine
In Birth By Sleep, all three apprentices, Terra, Aqua, and Ventus, have blue eyes. Aqua's and Ven's are fairly bright, while Terra's are darker.

Is this symbolic for something? Or am I looking too deeply into this? Or (third possibility) is Nomura really that lazy with character designs?

Reverie

Bronze Member
Awards
Before BBS was created, there has already been a lot of characters with blue eyes.

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I think it's more symbolic than anything. The good characters normally have blue eyes, that are either a different shade or a different hue. Sora, Riku, and Kairi all have blue-ish eyes in some way, mostly Sora; I'm not even sure if Kairi would count there, actually. :D The evil characters have yellow eyes, though this mostly goes for Xehanort. So I guess blue means light and yellow means darkness? I thought there was an interview somewhere that said characters with yellow eyes have something to do with the darkness; which would make since 'cause Heartless have yellow eyes. P:

In BbS, though, I seriously have no clue if there's a real reason for it (plot-wise) or not, since I haven't played it yet. It could be symbolic... or Nomura got lazy. I hope it's not the later ;A;

State

Awards
Tetsuya Nomura, director of the Kingdom Hearts series and some Final Fantasy games, likes to make his protagonists with blonde hair, blue eyes or both.
Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy VII has blue eyes.
Squall Leonhart from Final Fantasy VIII has clear blue eyes.
Zidane Tribal from Final Fantasy IX has blue eyes.
Tidus from Final Fantasy X has blue eyes.
Vaan from Final Fantasy XII has blue eye.
Snow Villiers from Final Fantasy XIII has blue eyes.
Sora has blue eyes
Roxas has blue eyes
Ventus has blue eyes

That's the meaning, Nomura likes blue-eyed protagonists.

Fortissimo

Maybe it's because Nomura simply really likes blue eyes.

Thats most likely it. It is very rare for people of Asian descent to have natural blue eyes. So I guess blue eyed heros are more desirable than the average brown eyed one. It makes them seem more special, at least in that part of the world.

fantasy08

I personally think it's because he hates his race. Which is a shame since I find Japanese people to be beautiful. He always dyes his hair blond and most of his characters are white and blue eyed. He also rarely if ever designs a character from his own race who's not a supporting character. Yuffie is the only one I can think of,but she's not main,and even she looks like a white/japanese hybrid. Instead of just japanese.

Last edited:

AxelYoYo

RAWR
Awards
Well......
The blue-eyed characters in KH and FF usually look good with blue eyes.
Maybe that's why Nomura put blue eyes on those characters....just cuz..well it fit them.
he probaly tested with other eye colors and decided blue was best.

Superschlock

Don't you step out of line
Awards
070221_CL_HitlerEX.jpg

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards
all main protagainist have blue eyes
and yeah its kinda freaky and very unlikly

Obsidian

I think it's slightly more than the fact Nomura likes blue eyes though. They way I see it, the eye colour does say something about the (main) characters.

Blue = Clearly Good (eg, Sora, Kairi)
Cyan/Green = Good and Bad [you can even say Neutral to a degree] (eg. Riku, Axel, Demyx; he just wants to play his sitar)
Golden/Hazel = Unintentionally Bad (I just wanted to make a category for Ansem lol)
Yellow (elven ears is a plus) = Badest of the Bad (eg Xehanort, Xigbar)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back