• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Am I the only one...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZackFair

The only thing I enjoyed in Re:Com were the boss battles. I abousltly hate how boring this game is though. Its just so repetitive :/. At first I didn't really mind but after awhile...oh man. Riku mode was actually fun to me though. I didn't care that the was no story in the worlds. The disney worlds storys were stupid anyways.

Reverie

Bronze Member
Awards
I actually liked the story. The gameplay was hard, but it was still a fun game.

Awards
My opinion:

So does more thought equate to better?
I'd also like to point out that this is still a button masher.

From the way I see it, the cards put emphasis on more analytical strategy than mechanical ones. You're not concerned about the actual enemy attack so much as you are with the number that accompanies it at the bottom of the screen. Special moves, rather than requiring extra prowess, need only a zero card to be avoided, or a higher number.

That shift in concern totally detracts from the actual fight.

I felt Sora's storyline was nothing outstanding (very good, but nothing that blew me away) and that the Disney plots were bad.

Even if you worship the ground that the original storyline walks on, I still see it as no excuse. No self-respecting Disney fan would consider the Disney storylines even remotely as good as KH1 or KH2.

What happens when a movie has some extraordinary scenes with the bulk of it being mediocre? It gets panned. A reasonable critic, taking into account the whole movie and not just the scenes they find preferable would find that, overall, the movie isn't that great. Shed the weight of those worse scenes, then maybe we're talking. Except that didn't happen.

I'm with you.

The biggest complaint I had, with the original and remake, is the gameplay. People can voice their opinion about how innovative it is, but the fact of the matter is that innovation doesn't always equate to fun. It was a noble effort on the GBA, to be sure, and they spruced it up nicely on the PS2 but, regardless, it's not my kind of gameplay, not the kind I grew to love about KH1 and KH2.

Room creation is, again, a nice idea, but it creates a sense of discontinuity between areas where you're just boxed in from one room to the next. Changing the battlefield also seems to upset the continuity between the story and the actual combat. Does Sora actually transport to a circular arena for Org fights (rhetorical)? The setting change is too final fantasy.

The cards themselves created an extremely disjointed back and forth pace that seemed ultimately more irritating (especially in sluggish battles like with Repliku IV) than thrilling. I didn't feel satisfied when I destroyed a boss or set of enemies, I felt relieved that I could finally advance... and do the same thing later.

Not to mention how the randomness of the room creation cards totally sapped the fun out of exploration. How many times did you continually fight hordes of the same enemy until you found that Green five card? I sure as hell did it a lot, only adding to my frustration. In fact, the whole concept of exploration in this game was nothing more than grinding, making the pace even messier than the battles.

Now as for plot... it was good. Nothing outstanding though, it's much more mediocre in my eyes than many see it. It is, well, a very fitting side game.

The individual Diisney plots were terrible. Rehashes of the original KH Disney plots, except convoluted and warped by the theme of "memory" crammed in. The plot drives the Disney characters, whereas a good game should be vice versa (characters create the plot). There was nothing to look forward to in the Disney areas, same enemies, same-styled plot, same characters, same bosses, same places. I don't know about you, but every time I advanced to the next floor, I was anticipating getting out of that world to see Castle Oblivion's plot.

The Organization plot was clearly the highlight of the game, the one thing it did unquestionably great. Even then, though, I wouldn't commend it as so much better than, say, the main plot of KH2 as many others do. They took a different approach, that's all. CoM had the Org members in a much more down-to-Earth scenario where a damsel was in distress and the hero thus needed to make contact with them in order to advance the story. It allows for a more recognizable enemy, which is why they had some leeway in creating the conflict between the individual Org members. KH2 had the Org members in a more elusive and enigmatic manner, one that echoes back to the antics of the Disney villains in KH1. While this doesn't allow the character "development" that people lament about KH2 lacking for the Org, it wasn't needed, at least back then. Only in retrospect, when looking at CoM, did people want to know more about the Org interactions. Before they were simply supposed to be that far off, unknown enemy. Now we've got Days coming out to fill in that development.

Anyway, before I go off on any more tangents, CoM was a great addition to the KH series, and a welcome one at that. I find it as ludicrous as you that so many people praise it to the extent that it is the best game. In all honesty, the only explanation I can offer is that they look too much past its mistakes (since it was originally on the GBA) and delve into subtleties of the plot (looking too hard). The fact of the matter is that, if CoM were to be summed up in a few words, "side story," "rehash," and "grinding" would suit it well.

To add to what I said in terms of Organization character "development," I never understood the advocacy of what CoM had over KH2.
I've heard time and again about how the CoM Organization is just "brilliant," and yet all I see is a bunch of cliche stereotypes, each built upon their respective element.

- Axel, the passionate, fiery sneak.
- Marluxia, the suave, nonchalant, effeminate male.
- Larxene, the short tempered, sadistic bitch.
- Lexaeus, the stoic, stone walled brute.
- Vexen, the cold and mildly unsettling scientist.
- Zexion, the passive, manipulative book worm.

It was made clear right down to their hair color that their characters were stereotypical anime role fillers.
Do not misunderstand what I'm saying here. I'm not knocking on the CoM Organization. Kingdom Hearts in general and Disney just as equally are comprised of generic characters. There's nothing wrong in liking them. I know I did.

It's just that, in order for something to be qualified as "brilliant," I would imagine one of the prerequisites would be to at least stave off the beaten path. But everything about the CoM members, right down to their intentions, was predictable.
As much as I know there were many who subsequently hated Axel after KH2 because he was no longer a superficial badass, he's hands down the best developed of numbers 1 through 12 to date. And development does not come about by seeing the same thing, it's through change as the word implies, We saw that in Axel and got an ulterior motive to justify his actions, at least in part. That, to me, was more satisfying than if he had simply been the same old guy he was in CoM.

And keep in mind that more screen time does not equate to more development. Such is the case with the CoM members. To my knowledge, no one applauded the development of the villains at the time CoM was released, but only as an afterthought, and in retrospect after playing KH2 did people suddenly start worshiping their characters as much as they do now. Because KH2 did not give Organization XIII enough screen time, even if it was only by a few scenes too little. However, they were not rectifying the fact that the Organization had little "development" in KH2 by adding those scenes in to KH2FM. You don't just "develop" a stereotype under normal circumstances, that's not how it works, and it's certainly not how it worked in CoM (they merely, as I said, got more screen time). But there are some who break the mold, Axel being the primary example and Xigbar being the most recent. At no time, though, to reiterate this, have they ever intended to "develop" all 13 characters. That would be impractical to say the least, due to sheer volume. Instead, the minor characters are more memorable as cliches. Nothing wrong with that.

One last point I'd like to address for the time being would be Sora's attitude, something that has warranted much discussion. I see too often how Sora all of a sudden seems more "whiny" and he is thus mislabeled as more "immature" in KH2 than he was previously. And people wonder how he could have gotten this way (and simply use the all-applicable "Nojima can't write for shit" cop out brush). While I wouldn't use as pejorative a word as "whiny" given its negative connotations, yeah, Sora does "whine" more. People seem to forget that this is a development he gets in Chain of Memories.

But nor am I targeting Sora in CoM as the source of a bad attribute.
Sometimes I think people forget that the kid is 14. While it's never going to be mentioned explicitly, yes, he is going through what's called puberty and whining is a symptom. It would be a double standard to say you were annoyed by Sora in KH2 and not in CoM.

Puberty, despite the whining, is regarded as a time of budding maturity, both physically and mentally. As I see it, Sora is simply starting to feel the gravity of his situation and, to a degree, crack under the pressure. That, as much of a paradox as it may sound, is part of growing up. Being more mature doesn't necessitate that one simply shut up and take on responsibilities unconditionally, it's about comprehending the repercussion of our actions. Sora was more naive and had a smaller bubble of personal awareness in KH1, there's no doubt about that in my mind. And yet, on the same tolken, I also believe that part of his character is his uncanny optimism. That will always be a part of who he is, but to say that he should remain utterly oblivious when he's growing up is ludicrous.

At least the reason behind his so called whining in KH2 was substantial and justifiable. He couldn't use the Keyblade, as he put it, and was at a turning point, a crisis. Not to mention, he had no idea what was going on when, at the moment he had woken up, he originally had the impression that he could finally return to the islands.

His aggravation in CoM, still justifiable, was more girl-centric. A bit of a love drama. I can understand why he annoyed you. Though, again, I personally don't find his whining in either CoM or KH2 to be irritating.

That's all for now.

Allister Rose

French Lover
gameplay is hard to getting use to.

it was pretty good for me cause i had to think about my deck. disney stories could have been better in re:COM. but toher than that, the story was great

Wintertide

Sp00ky GuRl
Awards
I never played COM but I really don't want to play it because of the card battling.

Fortissimo

Not going to dance around it, I did not like CoM at all when it first came out. Sure I was all excited for the release and couldn't wait to play it, but I was disappointed about the combat system, and for me, it was really hard. I couldn't get past Soras story on the gameboy version. Though, after RE:CoM came out for ps2, I rented it, played it and found it acceptable. It wasn't as inciting as KH and KH2, but it was ok.

Magic

The Disney stories and the room cards were the worst parts of the game IMO. The gameplay was sort of difficult to work with, but nothing too impossible. Sure, it was not the greatest game in the series, but it was nothing awful.

NumberVIII

Woah, Grass. Lovely wall of text right there. ^^

I'm not gonna reply to everything you said cause...it'd take forever, and I'm lazy, but. I will say that I pretty much found myself nodding in agreement with everything you said as I was reading it. Also, you have a good point about Sora. I tend to forget how young he is sometimes, as does everyone.

inverse K-blade7

I think it's funny that COM could've been avoided if sora just said screw this and used the kyblade to open CO's doors and walk out. i agree with you.

*~BlackCat~*

I love CoM's story, it was, in my opinion, better written than KH2. Yes, I do agree that going through the Disney worlds again was pretty annoying, also the card system was pretty hard getting used to.

Kiwi +

Push Ethan Page!
Awards
I actually liked CoM a lot. I found it a challenge unlike the other games, building the deck, fighting difficult bosses, finding all the cards. Made me come back for more at times so i could get everything. I also thought the story was pretty good too. :3

R0x@$

i didn't really like COM for the battle system, but the story was OK.

Allister Rose

French Lover
it's harder to get into Re:COM without playing the original NumberVIII, the GBA version was pretty good.

card system was good depending on what type of gamer you are and of course disney story was off but then again it was orignally on gba. other than that, what's to hate?

kaialone

Sora really acted weird in CoM , But i think that was cuz his soul and real body were missing.

Allister Rose

French Lover
Sora really acted weird in CoM , But i think that was cuz his soul and real body were missing.

there's also the losing memories and gaining the supposedly lost memories and finding out that person needed to be saved.

if you think about it, losing your meomires is like losing who you are.

Axel's girl1312

It made me so mad that game!!!!!! I hate the cards I love the fact that you get to see Axel/Lea!!!!! I hated the Story. I love Riku to and all but his stroy was sad and stupid at the same time. Zexion's a jerk! Marluxia sucked! Larxene's a Bitch! and what's with the cards? are they trying to Pis people off?!?!

Allister Rose

French Lover
It made me so mad that game!!!!!! I hate the cards I love the fact that you get to see Axel/Lea!!!!! I hated the Story. I love Riku to and all but his stroy was sad and stupid at the same time. Zexion's a jerk! Marluxia sucked! Larxene's a Bitch! and what's with the cards? are they trying to Pis people off?!?!

maybe if you payed attention to the game, you could've understand more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back