• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Am I the only one...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

NumberVIII

...who really didn't like CoM that much? Well, Re:CoM, I never played the GBA version. But anyway.

I don't really see why everyone seems to love it. I hate the card system. :| It's interesting, and I realize that it's supposed to make the battles based on strategy rather than mashing, but for me, all it was was annoying as fuck. Maybe that means I suck or something, idk, but I just didn't like it.

Not only in battle, but the whole layout of the words was terrible IMO. They just used the general scenery of that world and made the same 8 or so rooms over and over and over and over and over again, and the plot of each world was a rehashed, crappy one made up of only text scenes.

As for the storyline, Sora was incredibly obnoxious. I usually love him, but I wanted to punch him in the game for most of the game. His obsessing over Namine--a girl who, in reality, he'd never met in his whole life (but of course they were BEST FRIENDS and he PROMISED to protect her and blah blah stfu already) was the most annoying thing ever. And then Repliku, every time you saw him it was the same thing. Sora foolishly believed it was the real Riku the entire time, Repliku complained about Sora being an ass, they fought over who got to save/protect Namine (Sora vs. Riku by ~thatwasINTENSE on deviantART), Sora kicked Repliku's ass, Repliku whined and ran away, rinse and repeat...about 17 more times. Good god. It's enough to drive a person crazy.

Plus, later in the game, Sora's a real ass to Donald and Goofy. :| He's all "You guys suck eff you ima go save Nami peace out suckaasss" and I'm sitting there like "...wow, nice one Sora. Great friend you are."

Then the end--Marluxia: I'm gonna make Namine destroy your heart, it'll kill you, muahaha.
Sora: DO IT NAMINE, I'LL BE FINE, I PROMISE!
This is where I would put the facepalm smiley if we still had it. :|

Then we fight Marluxia, which was possibly the easiest final boss fight IMO, and then Namine guilt trips Sora for something that was her fault to begin with, and then he goes to sleep. Finally. (Btw, I like how Donald and Goofy get no say in which memories they want to keep. Only Sora does.)

THEN there's Riku mode...don't get me started. The entire thing is basically Sora mode all over again, except that a) the Disney worlds are half as long (but with the same exact boss fight and ZERO, I mean ZERO story, not even little taunting dialogue between Riku and the villains), and you don't get to choose your deck. It was cool seeing Riku's side of the story, but for the most part it felt like I was playing the same exact thing all over again.

I love the Organization. No complaints there. But everything else...meh.

I didn't HATE the game, but I really didn't like it all that much either. :/ Am I the only one, or does anyone else (at least partly) agree?

rhyth

Not gonna lie, I'm in the middle of Riku's story right now (first playthrough). I swear I cannot get past Neverland because the lack of story and repetetive map layout. It bores me to tears ;_;

Don't get me wrong, I still love the game and it was fun too. The card system was hard to get into and I would spend such a long time just customizing my deck over and over again. Sure it had a lot of cerebral input and made me a little smarter, but it was still kind of a hassle. Even though I'm pretty good at the card system as of now, it was still a mindfuck to get used to. I usually play through kingdom hearts games like 10 times each. I don't think I'll be playing this one more than 5 times. The card system just drains the heck out of you after a while. It makes me miss button smashing ^_^

The Organization is the only part that made it fun for me. I just love being able to fight and "meet" them. But I still think if CoM was a originally a PS2 game, I'm sure I would love it so much more because it wouldn't have had to restrained by the GBA.

I agree, CoM really did bring out Sora's more obnoxious parts D: but that's just who he is. It's proof that he isn't a mary-sue/gary-stue (eww mary-sues)

Thank god that it has a Theater Mode. I love the scenes and story in this Game, but I don't wanna go through the hassle of playing through it again.

Overall, I like the game, but its not my fave KH game BY FAR.

Izayoi

galactic cancer
I have to disagree on Sora being obnoxious in comparison to KH2, especially since he was truely following his heart in the later part of the game.

Mallorytheace

I have only played it on gba and yeah I was not a fan of the battle system really but I love the cast so much that I really enjoyed it. Larxene,Axel,Zexion,Marluxia and Namine ^_^ Can't hate that part of COM :p

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
The one thing that really pissed me off in this game was that big thing with Donald and Goofy, his two bestest pals who were only worried about him and want to help, but he goes and tells them to fuck off because of one disagreement. But that was pretty much it.

The card system was okay. I have nothing more to say on that matter. Ditto with the rooms.

Looking back, everything else was pretty much typical Sora imo, you know, worried about his friends (in this case, Riku) and thus goes into denial when Repliku shows up even though it's pretty clear that he's not really Riku, and when he finds out that Namine was the one screwing with his memories. I did get annoyed with Namine throughout the game, what with her damsel-in-distress-ness, but hey, I like her a lot better than Kairi, so it pretty much cancels out all the negative stuff.

When it came to the later part of the game, it was like this: "I defeated the bad guys and got the girl. Okay, what do I get?" I was probably more interested in finishing the game at that point.

But CoM was my first KH game, so I didn't think much of it. Oh wait, you were talking about Re:CoM. Oh well.

Last edited:

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
I adored the story. The villains were each unique and menacing -- way better than the Organization we've come to know. While Sora was believing in things that weren't true, there was nothing out there to indicate that he shouldn't. I thought Namine was a way better character than Kairi, to boot.

The gameplay, as far as the Disney worlds go, was almost enough to bore me to tears. I've already played KH1, thank you very much. I don't need to see the same things again with the theme of memories shoved in. I'm a bit OCD, so I'd have to kill EVERY Heartless group, which took for-freaking-ever. And going to a separate room for battles really slowed the game down.

rhyth

I adored the story. The villains were each unique and menacing -- way better than the Organization we've come to know. While Sora was believing in things that weren't true, there was nothing out there to indicate that he shouldn't. I thought Namine was a way better character than Kairi, to boot.

The gameplay, as far as the Disney worlds go, was almost enough to bore me to tears. I've already played KH1, thank you very much. I don't need to see the same things again with the theme of memories shoved in. I'm a bit OCD, so I'd have to kill EVERY Heartless group, which took for-freaking-ever. And going to a separate room for battles really slowed the game down.

Same here! I could not get through a world without complete every single room. It drives me insanee. And that just made it so much worse for me </3

NumberVIII

Don't get me wrong, like I said, I love love love the Org. They were the best part of the game. And I do like Namine a lot. Sora just annoyed me a lot, even though it wasn't necessarily his fault.

Btw, anyone notice that everyone in the Organization is literally about twice as tall as Namine? >>;

Right? That's what I'm saying. It was so aggravating. I just wanted to skip all the disney worlds and only play the in-between parts.

Norpthalomus

It's better than drinking alone
Awards
Website
ultimumrome.tumblr.com
...who really didn't like CoM that much? Well, Re:CoM, I never played the GBA version. But anyway.

I don't really see why everyone seems to love it. I hate the card system. :| It's interesting, and I realize that it's supposed to make the battles based on strategy rather than mashing, but for me, all it was was annoying as fuck. Maybe that means I suck or something, idk, but I just didn't like it.

Not only in battle, but the whole layout of the words was terrible IMO. They just used the general scenery of that world and made the same 8 or so rooms over and over and over and over and over again, and the plot of each world was a rehashed, crappy one made up of only text scenes.

As for the storyline, Sora was incredibly obnoxious. I usually love him, but I wanted to punch him in the game for most of the game. His obsessing over Namine--a girl who, in reality, he'd never met in his whole life (but of course they were BEST FRIENDS and he PROMISED to protect her and blah blah stfu already) was the most annoying thing ever. And then Repliku, every time you saw him it was the same thing. Sora foolishly believed it was the real Riku the entire time, Repliku complained about Sora being an ass, they fought over who got to save/protect Namine (Sora vs. Riku by ~thatwasINTENSE on deviantART), Sora kicked Repliku's ass, Repliku whined and ran away, rinse and repeat...about 17 more times. Good god. It's enough to drive a person crazy.

Plus, later in the game, Sora's a real ass to Donald and Goofy. :| He's all "You guys suck eff you ima go save Nami peace out suckaasss" and I'm sitting there like "...wow, nice one Sora. Great friend you are."

Then the end--Marluxia: I'm gonna make Namine destroy your heart, it'll kill you, muahaha.
Sora: DO IT NAMINE, I'LL BE FINE, I PROMISE!
This is where I would put the facepalm smiley if we still had it. :|

Then we fight Marluxia, which was possibly the easiest final boss fight IMO, and then Namine guilt trips Sora for something that was her fault to begin with, and then he goes to sleep. Finally. (Btw, I like how Donald and Goofy get no say in which memories they want to keep. Only Sora does.)

THEN there's Riku mode...don't get me started. The entire thing is basically Sora mode all over again, except that a) the Disney worlds are half as long (but with the same exact boss fight and ZERO, I mean ZERO story, not even little taunting dialogue between Riku and the villains), and you don't get to choose your deck. It was cool seeing Riku's side of the story, but for the most part it felt like I was playing the same exact thing all over again.

I love the Organization. No complaints there. But everything else...meh.

I didn't HATE the game, but I really didn't like it all that much either. :/ Am I the only one, or does anyone else (at least partly) agree?

No, a ton of people didn't like it, and had the same issues you did.

I, for one, liked it a lot, and it's one of my favorites.

Awards
I'm abhorrently opposed to the status CoM gets on this forum in particular, though this is nothing new.
I'll probably update later with what I've said in the past, but suffice it to say that I thought it overall to be the weakest entry in the series, excluding coded, which God only knows should never have even been a game in the first place. Mind you, that when I say weakest, I am not specifically referring to, say, story. I'm taking into account all aspects of the game, including gameplay.

Even regardless of the gameplay, I still think that its story, while good, and better in some respects than Days at least, does not deserve the recognition it has seen.

Key of Valor

The Professor
I didn't think CoM was the greatest game of the series, but I think it was good overall and even the GBA version rivals the quality of KH2 and KH'Days in my opinion.

CoM relives most of the worlds from KH1, except the experience occurs under different circumstances and with memory based themes that in themselves possess some interest. However, the main reason I myself tolerated revisiting the same worlds from KH1 in the game is because doing so presented the feeling of nostalgia from the first game.

The battle system was very disagreeable with me at first, but it is really something that takes some getting used to in order to really appreciate it. Despite the limitations of the original console CoM was released under, Squaresoft still found an interesting way to include strategy into the game play. And though the game has the protagonists face a lot of the same foes from the first game, the card system really delivers a unique feel and new experience to the battles.

CoM's greatest qualities though includes its brilliant script and incredible story. Even though the player may remember Sora's journey in KH1, the story is still deftly told through Sora's perspective, and the player could see the story through the thoughts of Sora and his fading memories. Sora's story also involves some similar elements from the original story of KH1. There is a council of villains working behind the scenes, a damsel in distress, a rivalry between two friends, the loyalty of companions, and Sora's willingness to sacrifice himself for the sake of someone else.

Also, the story behind the scenes is also presented to the player well. The Organization's full story can't be understand from CoM alone, but knowledge most relevant to the story is revealed to the player through the events behind the scenes.

As for Riku's story, despite being fairly smaller than Sora's story, it was no less as brilliant. His story is one of redemption, and Riku's character and inner conflict is explored through his ordeal in Castle Oblivion. Riku faces the dangers in the castle and the darkness lingering in his own heart. The development Riku undergoes is just incredible, and intense struggle he faces is just epic.

I would say that the only major concern about CoM is how the occurrences in that game arguably affect the following story in the series negatively, since Sora's long slumber makes him completely clueless about almost everything by the time KH2 picks up. Even so, CoM is still one great game.

These are just my views on the game though.

NumberVIII

I'm abhorrently opposed to the status CoM gets on this forum in particular, though this is nothing new.
I'll probably update later with what I've said in the past, but suffice it to say that I thought it overall to be the weakest entry in the series, excluding coded, which God only knows should never have even been a game in the first place. Mind you, that when I say weakest, I am not specifically referring to, say, story. I'm taking into account all aspects of the game, including gameplay.

Even regardless of the gameplay, I still think that its story, while good, and better in some respects than Days at least, does not deserve the recognition it has seen.

THANK YOU. Finally, someone on the same page as me. I'd be interested to see your arguments against it, if you have time later.

I didn't think CoM was the greatest game of the series, but I think it was good overall and even the GBA version rivals the quality of KH2 and KH'Days in my opinion.

CoM relives most of the worlds from KH1, except the experience occurs under different circumstances and with memory based themes that in themselves possess some interest. However, the main reason I myself tolerated revisiting the same worlds from KH1 in the game is because doing so presented the feeling of nostalgia from the first game.

The battle system was very disagreeable with me at first, but it is really something that takes some getting used to in order to really appreciate it. Despite the limitations of the original console CoM was released under, Squaresoft still found an interesting way to include strategy into the game play. And though the game has the protagonists face a lot of the same foes from the first game, the card system really delivers a unique feel and new experience to the battles.

CoM's greatest qualities though includes its brilliant script and incredible story. Even though the player may remember Sora's journey in KH1, the story is still deftly told through Sora's perspective, and the player could see the story through the thoughts of Sora and his fading memories. Sora's story also involves some similar elements from the original story of KH1. There is a council of villains working behind the scenes, a damsel in distress, a rivalry between two friends, the loyalty of companions, and Sora's willingness to sacrifice himself for the sake of someone else.

Also, the story behind the scenes is also presented to the player well. The Organization's full story can't be understand from CoM alone, but knowledge most relevant to the story is revealed to the player through the events behind the scenes.

As for Riku's story, despite being fairly smaller than Sora's story, it was no less as brilliant. His story is one of redemption, and Riku's character and inner conflict is explored through his ordeal in Castle Oblivion. Riku faces the dangers in the castle and the darkness lingering in his own heart. The development Riku undergoes is just incredible, and intense struggle he faces is just epic.

I would say that the only major concern about CoM is how the occurrences in that game arguably affect the following story in the series negatively, since Sora's long slumber makes him completely clueless about almost everything by the time KH2 picks up. Even so, CoM is still one great game.

These are just my views on the game though.

I strongly disagree that CoM or Re:CoM could be better than Days or KH2. There were aspects of it that shone, I don't think the entire game sucked. But, like Grass said, I don't think it deserves all the praise it gets.

If you talk about the storyline like that, yeah, it sounds wonderful. But the way it was all presented was just plain obnoxious if you ask me. Sora acted like a brat the whole game. The Disney worlds weren't nostalgic; they were 2D, flat, boring, and repetitive.

Qu?bec

It's an OK game but its too hard. I cant beat Riku (after Destiny Island) in CoM and I cant even best Vexen in Twilight Town in Re:CoM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back